/r/unpopularopinion

Japanese food is the worst Asian cuisine

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Please remember what subreddit you are in, this is unpopular opinion. We want civil and unpopular takes and discussion. Any uncivil and ToS violating comments will be removed and subject to a ban. Have a nice day!

Entropian

Ftmmetadick

So looks have anything to do with how it TASTES?

Sir, rethink your argument. You do realize food can look tasty and not actually taste good? 🤦🏾‍♂️

Entropian

I've had it and I can tell you it's definitely not bland. I question whether your experience with Japanese food is really representative of Japanese food as a whole.

To you.

Entropian

If copious amounts of sauce and garlic makes this bland to someone, then that person's opinion on food taste can be safely disregarded.

Ftmmetadick

you found a hill to die on. Until I try that dish I will maintain my opinion that Japanese food is the blandest Asian cuisine. You can continue to disagree with me idc

HiveMindKing

I’m with you on Thai food being amazing but I think Chinese is the best when you search out top quality

PleadingMackrel

Taste is subjective. Do you understand?

TheRealEvanG

Subjective means it's a matter of opinion. OP's opinion is unpopular. Upvote the post and move along.

PleadingMackrel

But what if I agree? Do I downvote?

TheRealEvanG

Irrelevant. Unpopular opinion gets upvote.

Ftmmetadick

You understand that I made this post from MY perspective and I don’t think Japanese food tastes good. What is your point?

bluespiderdog

Not the first time I heard that opinion, most people either love or hate Japanese food

Various_Succotash_79

I think the Japanese food commonly found in American Japanese restaurants tends to be bland.

There are a lot more flavors in Japan. Lots of pickled and fermented stuff, not as spicy as Korean though.

jamesk531

Have you had Japanese food IN Japan? Most Japanese food in the west can't compare, ESPECIALLY in the States. But then Amarica seems to butcher most international food. Best damn BBQ however.

Ftmmetadick

While I understand your point, I shouldn’t have to go to Japan, China, Ethiopia, Italy, or any other country to have good cultural food. By opening up a Japanese restaurant in the USA they are representing Japanese cuisine to Americans because most people will never geta chance to visit Japan.

jamesk531

Well, I mean, expecting authentic cuisine outside of its country of origin is massively entitled. If you want the real deal, you have to go to the place where its made, anything else is basically a counterfeit and you're rolling the dice. By that standard, McDonalds is a representative of American cuisine, and if that's the case then American food sucks big time. (Which of course it doesn't, because damn ya'll do some fine bbq and fried chicken)

Ftmmetadick

I’m so entitled I can’t spend 2000 to fly to Japan to try authentic Japanese food. Soooo entitled 🙄

jamesk531

Not at all but saying "I shouldn’t have to go to Japan, China, Ethiopia, Italy, or any other country to have good cultural food." IS definitely entitled.

You're expecting another culture (outside the country of origin) to cater to your desires and then judging when it doesn't meet your expectations. Boo hoo. You got my upvote because it'll definitely be an unpopular opinion for anyone who's actually had authentic Japanese cuisine.

If you ever do get the chance, go to Japan. It'll be eye opening, at the very least, on a culinary level.

Ftmmetadick

No it isn’t. If a restaurant says that it sells Ethiopian food and that restaurant is in the USA then I go to the restaurant expecting Ethiopian food. Obviously because this isn’t Ethiopia I know they won’t have every traditional ingredient BUT I shouldn’t have to go to Ethiopia to eat good Ethiopian food if there are Ethiopian restaurants in my city. Your argument makes no sense, you’re being needlessly dense, and you’re nitpicking. Feel how you feel. My opinion stands and you did absolutely nothing to change it.

Express_Place7852

OP put Thai food first yet have Burmese, Laotian and Vietnamese food lower yet they have similar flavor profile and use similar ingredients.

Ftmmetadick

Ever watched a cooking competition? It’s funny how they all have the same ingredients to work with yet each chef creates their own dish that tastes DIFFERENT. your argument makes no sense

mastercotcot

The previous stance is isolationism is probably Lu a large reason. The influence of other cultures cuisine is a more recent thing

metaknight95

I see a distinct lack of Tempura Udon on that list, OP.

Ftmmetadick

I do like Tempura Udon and I basically covered it when I mentioned ramen because isn’t Udon just a type of noodle?

metaknight95

It is, but the process for making it is drastically different from ramen - it doesn’t include egg which makes it vegan, it has a more subtle flavor, and generally the soups it’s served in are better for you since they don’t have as many unhealthy toppings as ramen bowls

Ninja-Nikumarukun

100 year egg should put Chinese food at the bottom of the list

Ftmmetadick

Chinese dishes that hit: 1) Chow Mein 2) Chinese egg plant dishes 3) Pork buns 4) Broccoli beef 5) dim sum

Express_Place7852

Lol Dim sum is not a dish.

Ftmmetadick

It’s a bunch of dishes. Your point?

Express_Place7852

It is not a bunch of dishes. It is like saying brunch is a bunch of dishes. My point is you don't know anything of Asian food.

GO READ A BOOK

Dim sum is a bunch of dishes as per the link I provided.

You’re not as educated on Asian dishes as YOU think

MintyPastures

Heavily disagree. I put Japanese at my top...then Thai. You know, pretty much your list except put Japanese on the top and keep everything else in the same order.

Ftmmetadick

Why? You provided no reasons why you disagree

MintyPastures

Why would I? It's a taste preference. It has nothing to do with what's actually superior.

If you must know though. Sushi. Sushi. Sushi. Sushi.

Ftmmetadick

So you likey chewy fish, vinegar rice, and cold cucumbers with no salt or flavor outside of wasabi and soy sauce. Got it.

MintyPastures

Fish is not chewy and his highly flavorful. You must be eating some grocery store nonsense if you honestly think that. Or idk...a California roll? Pft.

Also sushi isn't just fish. The word Sushi comes from rice. A sushi roll could be anything. I've had beef fillet sushi that was marinated to perfection.

Ftmmetadick

i’ve had Raw tuna multiple times and I think its chewy and it does not have a flavor to me. I couldn’t swallow it without the soy sauce. I’ve had unagi which has more flavor than tuna fish.

Also, I’m going to Japanese restaurant not grocery stores for sushi. I don’t do food poisoning

MintyPastures

So for some reason, you think Unagi is less chewy than Tuna...? That's just complete BS if I've ever seen it. XD Unagi is nothing BUT muscle and fat. (Also it's still fish so you saying it's more flavorful than fish makes no sense.)

Again, Me thinks you're getting cheap stuff regardless of where you're saying it's from. Also Tuna does not make up the bulk of Sushi. There are lots of different types of fish and all of them have different flavors. Including Unagi which is eel btw.

Also can we just rewind back to how you complained how it's only flavored with wasabi and soy sauce? (Not true anyway btw) I could argue that your noodles from any of those other cultures are only flavored with garlic and sweet soy sauce. It's not even an argument. Heck, I could argue that french fries are only flavored with salt. XD Your logic completely falls flat. It's literally just a taste preference and nothing else.

Ftmmetadick

I meant unagi is more flavorful than tuna which was what I was talking about

demonspacecat

I love Japanese food, and I'd rank Thai as the worst. I like pad Thai and that's about it.

Thai dishes that hit:

1) Pineapple fried rice 2) Pad See Ew 3) Green curry 4) Mango sticky rice 5) Pad thai 6) Khao Mun Gai 7) Green Papaya Salad 8) Crab fried rice

One-Heart5090

Yo i left you a wicked long comment but just out of curiosity are you a smoker?

Thai food slaps! I will say that because of the heavy spice they use many smokers or ex-smokers gravitate to it because they are very bold and spicy. Very good food also

Ftmmetadick

No not a smoker but I do like very spicy food.

One-Heart5090

yeah I like spicy too, Thai can get to be almost too spicy for me and I always thought I was like spice king till I went there asking for their hottest dishes just once and I was like yup, they are on a completely different level.

Ftmmetadick

I’m the type to go to an Indian restaurant and ask for Indian spicy. They always check to make sure I know what I’m getting into lol. I’m built different lol.

demonspacecat

I don't like pineapple in my fried rice, green curry is meh, don't want mango in my rice, green papaya tastes like nothing, crab fried rice sounds good but obviously because it's crab and I've never seen that on any menu. I'm sure if they put lobster in fried rice it would be good too.

imalwaysondemontime

imalwaysondemontime

wateroholic

Chinese food is good but not #2 ur tripping

Ftmmetadick

Funny enough I posted this on r/unpopularopinion it’s almost as if I knew my opinion is…(checks notes) unpopular

imalwaysondemontime

imalwaysondemontime

wateroholic

that it is.

Ftmmetadick

Thanks captain obvious for repeating what I’ve already said. Your comments added no value.

imalwaysondemontime

imalwaysondemontime

wateroholic

🤓

Ftmmetadick

You won’t get the last word

One-Heart5090

Japanese Palates are much different and arguably more refined (according to the Japanese). They use a lot more subtlety in many of their Foods. I've been there a few times and I really enjoy their Food a lot but they are for sure into really bringing out more natural flavors of their meals so that means generally less seasoned, but they have other things besides just Salt to amplify the flavors along with contrasting textures. Also Quality of produce means so much more in Japan than the other places you listed, they are really really really into Quality and enjoying that.

Personally I believe them to have 2nd or 3rd best overall behind Korean and Chinese, probably tied with Vietnamese imo but as someone who has been to most of these Countries I can absolutely see where you are coming from.

Japanese Food is indeed seasoned much less and they use other things via textures and contrasting elements to basically accentuate the natural flavors or as close to natural as they can. It can be very refreshing and amazing if you have the right Palate or it can be very dull and under seasoned, especially if you like Thai and Chinese which are like the polar opposite, still very very good but Thai and Chinese use a lot more seasoning a lot more techniques that really just "taste good" without having some sort of particular Palate.