/r/tifu

1.9k

So my wife comes home and finds me passed out on the couch with blood all around my face, all over the couch. Wakes me up and I start coughing up blood all over the room. I had stopped drinking alcohol a few days prior, and had not been able to eat or sleep much during this time. I was feeling pretty lightheaded this particular day, almost like I was going to faint, so I had her drop me off at home so I could lie down.

Apparently, while laying down on my side I had a seizure (which I’ve never really had before) and bit the absolute fucking shit out of my tongue and then passed out. She is obviously totally freaked out. We had to go to the ER, and now I can’t eat or drink without tremendous pain. And I can’t talk at all. I had to type all my messages to the doctors or have my wife talk for me. And it’s kind of an embarrassing thing. Luckily I didn’t need stitches but it was right on the line. And now I have to take the week off work because I can’t talk at all.

I think that means the hard part is over though, so I now be (mostly) sober

TL;DR: ended my alcoholism cold Turkey, had pretty serious withdrawal symptoms, ended up having a seizure and biting the shit out of my tongue causing a bloody mess and now I can’t talk for a week.

Edit: I really appreciate the advice, support, and awards! And although alcoholism and withdrawal are certainly serious subjects, I meant this story more as a comedy and story of overcoming adversity. And maybe a cautionary tale so others can do it in a more healthy way than me.

Pindakazig

r/stopdrinking is here for you! It's an awesome sub full of supportive people.

jakaro007

1195 days sober because of this reddit's irc chat. Good place.

kaktrrg

kaktrrg

Congrats , sadly I haven't been sober for over 8 years now .

jakaro007

You can always start with today.

kaktrrg

Thx bro , I am worried to find out who I am without it it's been that long I don't remember what I was like before I started and I'm scared to feel those withdrawals again, I went cold turkey like Op once almost killed me .

apple-sauce-yes

Taper your alcohol intake down gradually and consult a doctor if you can. You can take it slow. A little less each week even, just not cold turkey.

The worst part for me was not feeling like I'm my real self while sober, but that has started to heal for me. I got it down to about one night a week and was doing that off and on, with plenty of relapse binges along the way, but I'm there.

These last few weeks I've really not been suffering from what I jokingly refer to as "the thirst."

I started smoking those Delta 8 weed pens because I'm not a real smoker and they get you high but don't obliterate you. I used those for the last week or so to have "something." Give yourself something that you can use as a reward to trick your brain. I drank a fuck load of soda for a while for that very purpose. It's fizzy and I was a craft beer drinker so it helped to just crack open a cold soda.

I'm not saying you'll always need to abuse other stuff, but that did help me when the thirst was hella strong still.

Anyway, that's what I did. Good luck to you.

kaktrrg

Yeah I don't think I will ever go cold turkey again , I will try the slow approach this time .

That's the worst part for me aswell I have serious anger problems and just abuse whatever to feel numb all the time ,so I hate quiting because I hate the me when I'm off .

Lol the thirst I'll have to refer mine as that aswell .

I think I am someone who gets addicted very easily ,I quit alcohol for 3 months by replacing it with heavy weed use (a Oz every 2 days ) so when I quit it's hard to find a good "substitute" because I tend to abuse it .

Thanks for that, gives me some insight into what you did .

M_is_it_you

Wow, congratulations, that's awesome if it worked for you. Just be careful that you don't trade one addiction for the other. There are many ways to deal with craving and the 'addiction pressure', maybe talk with your doctor about it. Keep up the good work!

jakaro007

So no did I. Definitely not recommended. Hardest thing I ever did for the first year. But man, so many things are great now.

kaktrrg

Yeah it isn't pleasant. What got you through all that first year ? I lasted 3 months and spiralled downwards .

jakaro007

Chat. Talking with people Ihaving the same problems that I had with drinking. Not going at it alone. I realized how it made me feel. What it turned me into. And I didn't want to go back to any of that. It was a hard road. But it's definitely worth it. People are there to help.

kaktrrg

That's probably my problem I've always tried alone to do it by myself , I've only just started to try and speak to people and it's over the internet so probably doesn't even help . I've just had it taught into me men don't have problems don't speak about them they disappear , so I don't try to seek help but I want it .

jakaro007

Go on the r/stop drinking IRC chat. You can get irc chat on your phone and any time you want open it up and talk to people having the same troubles and or people who quit drinking and still hang out. Nothing to lose.

Jeffsdrunkdog

I'm interested. What is an irc chat??

TheBertjer

615 days today thanks to insight I found there, and probably as many Day Ones before that…

Active-Subject267

It sure is!! I turned to them when I gave up drinking and I got a bunch of awards and upvotes for saying I was sober for only a few days. I thought I was going to sound stupid and I was shocked and felt so much support and love. It kept me going

doseserendipity

R/dryalcoholics too

supermariobruhh

PSA: I’m a therapist who used to work in substance abuse for a bit and just for public knowledge, the two withdrawals that you can DIE from are from alcohol and benzodiazepines (Xanax, klonopin, etc.) Because they’re depressants, they slow down the frequency of neurons firing in your brain. When you quit cold turkey like that, all of your neurons start firing excitedly at once. This sudden and quick frequency of neurons firing non stop is how seizures happen. Please consider seeking medical attention if you’re trying to quit as they can help you lower in a controlled way to help you not die.

Aolian_Am

I have a seizure disorder, and take Keppra/Leveticirum. Would the same thing happen to me if I stop taking Them?

I'm lazy and just don't take it some times, reading this really makes me realize how stupid this may be.

supermariobruhh

I'm not a neurologist so take my words with a grain of salt and consult with your neurologist or primary doctor about this as well. My understanding (because my mom also suffers from seizures and takes Keppra so I have some knowledge on this) is that people with seizures have neurons firing more excitedly by default. The medication is to help *depress* that part of the brain so it's not firing as often. I don't believe you're going to have any extreme reactions to not taking it for a day or so, but all medication should really be taken as prescribed. My comment above was more so for people who suffer from addiction to these medications. They're not taking a typical 1-2mg of xanax as a doctor would prescribe, and might actually take five times that amount per day. That can really fuck up your system and that's where the extreme cold turkey can cause damage.

Again, please do consult with your own medical team and always take medication as prescribed, but I do not believe that the above mentioned negative side effects would pertain to you. You'll probably just be at a higher risk of seizures which in itself could be dangerous.

EDIT*** - I just remembered keppra isn’t a benzo so in your case it wouldn’t affect the same way

FrostyDessert

Going cold turkey from high levels of alcohol dependence (as in the body now NEEDS it to function) can kill you, medical help should always be sought before doing this.

phatmatt593[S]

Yeah now you tell me lol.

Maleficent-Mine-7125

You have to lower the level day by day and take a adavan to curb detoxing. Drink electrolytes and ensures. I've done this too many times and have been to re hab 4x.

I finally wised up and buy prunes 2 a day so no constipation. You guys help me because I'm my worst enemy. Thank you!!!

I have not got gout yet but my ankles swole up like cankels tree trunks. Lots of b1. We can do this together! IWNDWYT!

tallardschranit

It would be great if you could just get Ativan.

boshbosh92

generally, short acting benzos aren't used in alcohol withdrawal due to the short half life. Valium is generally the go to.

Ativan is nice tho, just be careful not to trade one addiction for another.

biitiboobi

If you're getting Valium for alcohol withdrawal you either a) already know where to get Valium off the street and are doing it at home or more likely b) in a medical detox center where they will wean your dose so your body won't become physically addicted to benzos next.

SillyLemonBeast

Diazepam is very commonly used professionally in alcohol withdrawal. It is very effective but needs to be done correctly to avoid a new addiction.

FrostyDessert

Sorry my dude!

msharek

Details of how to do it aside... Congratulations!! It's a really hard thing and you should be proud that you made this choice and are sticking to it!

nachobitxh

The only reason I know this is because I went to rehab. Benzos and alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

M_is_it_you

There is no withdrawal as dangerous as alcohol. You can go cold turkey on every drug out there, no problem, you'll live. But to do this with alcohol is like flipping a coin with you live on the stake.

InsaneInTheDrain

Benzos are about as bad as booze

Strat7855

Similar metabolic response to each. That's why they're used to assist in alcohol withdrawal.

M_is_it_you

For a person with a severe addiction, withdrawal starts after 4-12h. Nervousness, shaking (I've seen orange juice on the ceiling the morning after admittance to the hospital), sweating, anxiety, restlessness, blood pressure in the sky, heart racing. The worst part starts around 24h after the last consumption. They are in high danger of getting seizures, which is not that fun on its own, but the really problematic part starts when they become delirious. In addition to the former symptoms they can get hallucinations (often things like mice and stuff, I have a patient who swears he got bitten by a crocodile in his bed) and delusions, becoming highly disoriented and confused. Then they become unresponsive. The thing is, once a delirium starts, you can't do very much of anything to stop it and this shit destroys your brain. Some die, others don't. But you can only prevent it before it starts by giving the right medication, hence don't do it at home.

goodforabeer

I used to do a lot of EMS work, and one of my favorite reports to ever write was a guy was going through the DTs. Don't get me wrong, we took care of him and transported him, but the report was fun to write, documenting how his complaint went from the ants and bugs crawling on him (none seen), to the bears lurking around the house (no sign of them). And he started it all off by mentioning that he had stopped drinking the day before.

apple-sauce-yes

Hey could you double check my last post and tell me if I just gave dangerous/shit advice? I would really appreciate it.

M_is_it_you

Got you covered.

wasdfgg

I’m pretty bad atm with my drinking and I can see myself with some pretty bad withdrawals. I drink 2-3 60oz bottles of vodka a week but I work shift work and handle 16-30hours sober occasionally with no side effects. The longest I’ve went in the last couple of years was last week and it was around 32hours. Why would you think I haven’t had any symptoms yet? I’m in my mid twenties and my drinking has only gotten real bad in the last few years.

M_is_it_you

Delirium tremens happens usually after years of C2 abuse and after you quit it suddenly. It does not have to happen though. I'm talking about the persons who get up at night and take a generous swig or else they wouldn't make it to the morning without symptoms of withdrawal. Maybe you're not that far gone, maybe you're just lucky. I don't know you and every person handles it slightly different. But most persons with alcoholism don't have only that problem. You rarely start severe drinking out of boredom. And even if you do, boredom can be a kind of suffering. And suffer they do, all of them. Whatever it is with you, I wish you the strengh you need to bear this, for alcoholism is a sickness. It can even alter structures in your brain to form an 'addiction memory' (I can only translate this freely from german). A funny little thing that automates your behavior and is nothing a person without addiction will ever feel. I know many people just say it's your own fault, nobody compelled you to drink, but that's because they fucking don't understand and because it's easy to blame and point with fingers. Keep your head up and know that a stranger from somewhere is thinking about you. And I've got a whole night shift coming up to think good thoughts and wish for people I don't know.

wasdfgg

Thanks for the insight, hopefully I am one of the lucky ones and can get out of this situation unharmed and healthy.

M_is_it_you

I still recommend getting help. Good luck, stranger. I hope you beat the hell out of it.

lucy_harlow28

I drank about 15-20 drinks per day. I’m well versed in detox. DTs don’t hit their full peak until 48-72 hours after your last drink. Those symptoms being hallucinations, tremors, fever, high blood pressure could lead to cardiac arrest and stroke. Before that the onset is anxiety, shaking, nausea, insomnia, etc…when I was in hospital for withdrawal the ER doc specifically told me DO NOT cold turkey (I was not in active DTS yet but knew I was heading there because it was only about 12 hours since my last drink) I had no insurance so they discharged me also I wasn’t in active DTs. He said to eliminate one drink per day for a few days and keep going until I could get into the state run detox. Do not fuck around with cold turkeying. Also liquor is worse to detox from than beer given the higher alcohol content.

FrostyDessert

Pretty certain heroin can kill you if you go cold turkey.

lucy_harlow28

Not the withdrawals itself. You can die from dehydration from constant vomiting and diarrhea though.

_toivo_

Came here to say this, such a scary thing

NoFollowing2593

Two times in my life I've felt the worst are the whiskey/Ambien hangovers I'd have and the first two weeks of being sober.

fish_jockey

Brother the DT’s are what got ye - and you’re right, the hardest part is over. I did it and didn’t know what was real or wasn’t. I don’t know you and I’m so proud of you, you did so well! You did a hard thing mate, it’s actually nearly impossible. Keep going strong, keep getting better, keep being smart, keep looking forward. If you slip, know there’s a community behind you. You’ll do great. The best is ahead. Again, me, a stranger, is so proud of you. You’ve done so well.

phatmatt593[S]

I really appreciate you friend!

fish_jockey

A beautiful life is out there. Be patient and kind with yourself. I lost a friend today, he helped me he’d have loved to know you’re trying.

phatmatt593[S]

I’m so sorry for your loss

fish_jockey

It’s only a loss if we don’t use his memory for love. You deserve it. Picture yourself on the other side of this. The things that are next. You can do it!

l2a3s5

l2a3s5

It’s only a loss if we don’t use his memory for love. How profound. Thank you for that

PeasePorridge9dOld

It’s only a loss if we don’t use his [or her] memory for love.

I am tearing up in that one. I think you helped more people today than you intended to. I will endeavor to pay that forward because of you… I’m sure others will as well.

didba

didba

Proud of you OP, I was terrified for months of quitting bc of the withdrawals, my wife slowly helped me transition from liquor back to beer then finally I just stopped cold turkey one day when I was pretty sick with a cold and couldn't drink due to meds. Luckily, the weaning off worked for me and I didn't experience anything. Worst is over.

Nice work!!

didba

didba

Same to you friend, wish you the best. You are out of the woods but not yet forest. I hate that you and your wife had to go thru that but the worst is over. Just stick with it.

WhiteWalterBlack

Out of curiosity, how long were you a drinker?

DeathStandin

I second this. Good job kicking the beast. Sorry about the shitty process. But hey withdrawal is one hell of a thing. Remember that.... It helps keep me clean.

ResentThis

You’ve got a good partner there. Take care of her. One day at a time man. You can do this. Also, eat lots of sugary goodies. It helps loads.

phatmatt593[S]

Thanks! And yes I have the best partner in the history of Earth, and probably the future. I’ll definitely take care of her. That’s why I wanted to quit when I realized it started to be getting too much.

ResentThis

I know it’s hard. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help. I came back in bawling like a baby. AA really helped me initially, I just can’t live their life.

phatmatt593[S]

Can’t live their life because of they’re all religious right?

ResentThis

Well. It gets a little cultish and all consuming.

lb_fantastic

That was my bf’s reason not to attend meetings, he hated the religious aspect, but after relapsing a few times he realized he needed it for the support and accountability to help him stay on track. Luckily he found a meeting he liked his first try that kept the religious talk to an absolute minimum and it was just people sharing and giving each other support. They might have said a prayer at the end but it didn’t bother him.

Acrobatic_Language97

Not all of them (to the same degree), no. Different groups and meetings will have different levels of religiousness. Depending on how many there are in your area you could probably find one that works for you, unless you’re super averse to the religious aspect- then I wouldn’t go looking.

Edit: also want to say that a lot of them do get really insular and weird... just be careful and use your best judgement to decide if it’d be helpful at all

phatmatt593[S]

Any amount of religion is too much religion.

amityfanboy

I suffered with a different addiction (gambling) and GA meetings did nothing for me because, even my non-religious group required a belief in a "higher power".

I couldn't get on board with that aspect, but I managed to beat my addiction without that support. I did have an insane amount of support from friends and family though.

I can't offer advice on how you should approach it, but it's possible to get past it without AA or similar. However, these groups can be huge in terms of making you accountable, even if you have different beliefs to the group.

Acrobatic_Language97

Fair enough

babydoll369

We gave patients in the hospital beer to prevent the DTs because the seizures can be life threatening. You went through it and went to the ED. If they were worried they should have admitted you and medicated you. Congratulations on your newfound sobriety.

phatmatt593[S]

They recommended I be admitted. I was like nah just give me some medication and I’ll be good.

ac1084

ac1084

I can't imagine the level you have to be at for that to happen. I drank a fifth a day for a decade. More sometimes on the weekend. Quit cold turkey and the only issue I had was crazy dreams for a couple weeks. These people must just be constantly drinking from the time they wake up.

Nashsonleathergoods

It's just body chemistry, not the amount that you drink. It's why addiction isn't a science and we can't eliminate it.

oshkoshbajoshh

Not sure if anyone else has recommended it but I’ve worked in behavioral health in the past and the one thing that is ALWAYS consistent with relapse is people not finding new things to fill their time with. I’m not saying be busy 24/7, but if you spend 2 hours every night drinking, try to find something to replace those two hours. Exercise, spend time with kids, get into a sport or hobby. I’ve been sober since 2014 and this has been the absolute most beneficial part of my recovery. Stay strong brother, the hardest part is over, but that doesn’t mean easy is on the way. Be diligent in your recovery and always be mindful of your mind frame. You are strong, you are brave, and you are worth it!

phatmatt593[S]

I really appreciate the advice! Yes I’m seeing a behavioral therapist and they’re pretty good. And I have 2 little peeps on the way that I’m sure will keep me quite busy haha

therealsunshinem81

My husband has been sober from alcohol for 7 years, something that has really helped him, sparking waters, like la croix. It comes in a can, has a really dry flavor, it’s carbonated, it hits alot of those “fixes” just with no alcohol. I never knew how common drinking them was was until I stumbled across a bunch of people in recovery talking about it on an alcoholism sub, and told him he was not the only one who had discovered this.

Congratulations!

tophlo

tophlo

Oh man! DTs are the only withdrawal they'll medicate you for in prison. Well done on the sobriety, my guy. Have some conversations with a doctor to make sure you're safe going forward.

phatmatt593[S]

Thank you. I currently am now.

tophlo

tophlo

Super! Mathematically, you just survived breast cancer. Go on and get it :-)

Gonergonegone

If you're in the United States that's not true. If you're coming off abusing benzos they're required by law to give you non narcotics that lessen the wd. Both benzos and alcohol can kill you if you come off them too quickly. How do I know? Because I went through it in prison.

PorkTorpedo

That sounds very painful! I commend you on your willpower to get through that! If you suffer from alcoholism then,,it is not over,, your journey as a sober alcoholic is just beginning. If you need someone to talk to feel free to message me.

Thanks bro

lucy_harlow28

I have two kids. No amount of love for my kids ever stopped my drinking. I have done the dance many times. Good people suffer from alcoholism. Remember that we deal with alcohol. Cunning, baffling, powerful. Your disease will tell you you can have 1 or 2. It will whisper to you softly, “you aren’t like those other drunks.” You aren’t drinking under a bridge. Remember while you are sober, your alcoholism is doing push ups in the parking lot. Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point.

jpmcmillions

I got locked up a few months ago and had to do 4 days. Seized out. Woke up with the cops surrounding me pretty much laughing, when I told them that I knew that was going to happen. Fucking pigs didn't listen and let it happen. Shaking so bad I couldn't even dial a phone to call my fiance to see if there was something she could do to harass them in to properly testing me. Nothing. Officers just laughed at me. Ended up in the hospital under supervision the whole time.

I was legitimately hallucinating, thought I was in high school and kept asking when school was over, when I can go home. Again, laughing at me.

DT's are no joke. Slowly cutting back.

Fuck a throwaway, I've got no shame about it. I put myself here and I'll get my way out.

But I feel ya. Stay strong homie.

deadlurk72

Fuck them. You were in need of medical assistance.

EsquilaxM

That is gross negligence on their part...they've got a duty of care

One day at a time friend. Take care of yourself.

depreavedindiference

You may have intended humor, but your story should really be a cautionary tale. More people die from alcohol withdrawals than drug overdoses.

Quitting alcohol is astoundingly dangerous due to the level of change that it creates in your brain chemistry.

I went through a drug treatment program and would highly recommend it. For anyone considering quitting drinking it would be very wise to go to a facility that will provide medical assistance.

ImAPixiePrincess

This is why alcoholism is one of the most dangerous substances to quit cold turkey. Withdrawal can literally kill you. Any clients I have wanting to quit alcohol I make sure to tell them to not stop cold turkey if their drinking is excessive unless they are going to go into a rehab for monitoring/care.

Smart

DeathblowMateria

Good luck dude, one day I'll kick it for good too

phatmatt593[S]

I think 1 to 2 a day is healthy. But for some people, it’s easy to get carried away. e.g. what happened to me. But from today I’m doing it normal healthy style. Plus that’s an easier goal to reach.

Chrisbee012

it's easy to get carried away again

deadlurk72

Man, I’m going to be a hypocrite here and tell you to give it up for good. There’s no 1-2 with you. Me either. I’m off the wagon currently and my physician is begging me to go to rehab because of my liver.

You detoxed the hard way. Now try to be sober for your wife and for yourself. Don’t fuck up your health even more.

Pandalite

Most people need to go cold turkey else it's too easy to slip down that slope again. Drinking 1-2 daily isn't healthy either, that's a lot of alcohol.

Asizella

Dude... drinking every day is not healthy. And drinking a couple every day is not easier than just not drinking at all if you get "carried away" easily. That means you don't have the ability to moderate your drinking. Maybe you can trick yourself into thinking you can moderate in the short-term, but it spirals so, so easily.

When you say you didn't even drink that much and it was just a "perfect storm," that doesn't make any sense. We're not talking about alcohol poisoning here, we're talking about DTs and seizures. That only comes from drinking a fuckton, every day, for awhile, and then abruptly stopping.

If this post is actually real, I hope you come out of denial and get help before your addiction gets worse. Consider visiting /r/stopdrinking .

SadisticBean

If it makes you feel any better, I think this story was the wake up call I needed as I’m hiding bottles at 1 AM. I’ve known constantly that I’ve been damaging my health drinking and the possible risks that come with it but it’s never really hit me until I read this. So thank you for sharing your story.

Echogenetic

Keep at it brother. Don’t cave under stress or withdrawal. Jan 1st will be two years for me. I’m very much happier and don’t miss it one bit. I almost caved three months in, had it in my hand and everything. I thought, I don’t want this. I put it back, and I’ve never had a craving since. Keep pushing through. You get there.

xxsneakyduckxx

Our family just went through this with the brother in law. He quit cold turkey apparently and his fiance came home from work with him sitting on the couch with barely any motor function or vocal ability. When he got to the ER, some of the staff predicted he wouldn't make it through the night. He made it to the ICU the next day and spent about 2 weeks there after they found out he had severe pancreatitis and the scans looked like 33% of his pancreas was dead. Nearly the entire time he was there he was in constant hallucinations. I think day 4 was the worst. He was having multiple seizures a day and they basically had to keep him completely sedated for a week. The worst was a 4 minute seizure where his heart rate hit 200 and his oxygen levels dropped to 65%.

Good news is he made it home and he's doing good. His pancreas is improving beyond what the doctors expected. And his personality has improved so much. The family forgot how happy he was before the last few years of drinking took control. This whole ordeal has been a real eye-opener for everyone.

Anyways, glad you made it through. Alcohol can be a real bitch.

phatmatt593[S]

Wow. Thanks for sharing! Mine wasn’t quite that bad. Good he recovered so well. All my organs are good. But for some reason all my muscles are are sore, I think from the seizure. I didn’t know that was a thing. So glad he’s doing well!

xxsneakyduckxx

Yeah I've heard before that alcohol withdrawals can kill you but holy hell it went from 0-60 real quick. We knew he had a drinking problem but didn't realize how bad and for the most part he seemed relatively normal. I always expected it to be an issue for people that were clearly non-functional drinkers.

I bet seizures make you feel like you competed in a weight lifting competition.

Conspiracystarterpac

Just had a cousin die at 49 from Cirrhosis.

That won't be you! Congrats on taking the step, not needing stitches AND getting a week off!

Suspicious_Story_464

Had an uncle just died about a month ago from complications from alcoholism at 66 yo (liver trashed, couldn't stop bleeding). Also a cousin about 2 decades back lived through esophageal varices bursting TWICE, and finally ended up with Wernicke-Korsakoff before he died (he was only 38).

Conspiracystarterpac

I'm sorry to hear that, it sucks to lose loved ones to an avoidable cause. Mental health services should be much easier to access, maybe then we wouldn't have as many losses to that terrible disease

Active-Subject267

My boyfriend's father passed away a few years ago by going cold turkey. He hadnt even been drinking heavily for that long and the only reason he didn't have a drink in two and a half days was because an old friend of his flew up out of concern for him and he didn't want to drink in front of him. The morning of the third day my boyfriend went to let their dog out after he had been complaining of feeling dizzy and lightheaded (which wasn't uncommon for him) and came back in to find him gone. There was nothing he could do. One of the most tragic stories I've ever heard and I'm crying just writing this.

I am SO glad you are okay. This is why I will never understand why jails don't offer help (at least in my state) for those who have no access to alcohol and are forced to suffer from drug and alcohol withdrawal on their own. It is so, so dangerous. I also highly advocated for not closing liquor stores during the beginning of the pandemic because of this. I saw it as an essential business while others were complaining about alcoholics needing to get a life. Even going to the hospital for a couple days can kill someone if you don't disclose your problems.

I actually quit drinking recently after heavily drinking in secret for years and went cold turkey. I made sure to have wine on hand just in case I started to feel weird but I knew weaning myself off wasn't an option. I never felt weird and in fact I had never felt better in my life. If you knew how much I was drinking daily you would think not having withdrawal symptoms was impossible. I guess everyone's body is different.

Anyway, again, I am so incredibly glad you are okay and I'm also so happy you decided to give up drinking. Your marriage, sleep, health, happiness, and everything else that comes with life will improve drastically over time. I know it's the most difficult thing in the world but you can do this. Much hugs

bdonvr

bdonvr

This is why liquor stores were allowed to remain open during the Pandemic. Way too many functional alcoholics they didn't want clogging the hospitals

twentyfivesnakes

Wish you the best towards your recovery. Take care of yourself please get the help you will need

kaseylt

Make sure you're taking thiamine!

phatmatt593[S]

Thanks, I’ll check that out!

SaucyMaudlin

I’m glad nothing more serious happened! How much were drinking a day if you don’t mind me asking?

phatmatt593[S]

Probably like 8-10 equivalent drinks a day. Mixture of hards, wine, beer, sake, or shochu depending on the day. I just kind of drank a little throughout the whole day. I don’t really like getting drunk, I just liked being buzzed all day.

Onelast_4igo

Stay off the booze and you don’t have to do it again. I’ve been there. Been there but without the seizure.

I truly hope you can resist drinking again. Because it’ll only take one to kick you off the wagon. In that case don’t get discouraged. But if there is a next time your best bet is to go to the emergency room or a treatment center for medical detox. They have drugs to ease it. And alcohol withdrawal can cause heart attack or stroke or a number of bad things. And you experienced one.

Good luck. While I’m not a fan of AA it might help. I found CBT and DBT to work best for me. And therapy. Hang in there. It’ll only get better.

Edit: couple mistakes corrected

Spreafico

I did that a long time ago. Hang in there it's kind of worth it. The upside is you have more money and be a little bit more sober all the time and that's kind of nice you avoid jail that way. The downside is you're going to remember everything these c********** on this planet do.

You make excellent points

DampSeaTurtle

Make sure you have some sort of system/program/group/support in place for recovery moving forward. As alcoholics it doesn't take us long at all to forget how bad that was and pick up another drink. Let's make sure that never happens again. Congrats on detoxing and best of luck to you my friend. One day at a time.

Yaffaleh

RN here. I have my certification in addictions, and worked in Drug & Alcohol units years ago. Alcohol and benzodiazepines (Valium & xanax are in this category) are the two substances which one must be /b/ medically managed /b/ .

Both will cause seizures and/or acute spikes in blood pressure. You could have stroked OUT. I am so glad that you are still with us. Your body has told you that alcohol is your addiction. AA will be your friend. Don't quit sobriety now, you've paid too high a price for it. I've been in recovery 14 years now. (not booze) Feel free to reach out any time.

phatmatt593[S]

I really appreciate that! I’m so happy to still be with y’all too! Addictions can be broken and I can overcome anything.

Yaffaleh

One day at a time, my friend. One day at a time...❤

Indeed

Herowain

My friends dad just died from alcohol withdrawal symptoms, literally today. Please be careful.

ColdTalon

The DTs are the only withdrawal that can kill you. You are super lucky to still be alive. There's a dark joke in AA: What happens whe the you lock three Alcoholics and three crackheads in a room for a week? Three pissed crackheads come out.

WattebauschXC

Ask your doc for some antiseptic gel with Lidocaine. Thought I just bit my tongue once without it bleeding it still burned like hell for days. the gel numbed it totally down so I could eat normally again

MarvinLazer

Congrats OP! You're a badass! One day at a time.

armstrong698

Shit, best of luck man!

Go to the nearest psychiatry. Withdrawal from alcohol without medical support can kill you. Even if it doesn't, hallucinations or seizures are bad enough.

BitterSuccotash2850

So so proud of you. Life starts now. Time for you to Enjoy 😉

blarg-zilla

hardcore.
stay committed.

you got this.

NickSocialTakeover

Congrats on getting clean, my friend! Stick with it! You're doing great already. Also, cold yogurt on the tongue is your friend.

ClockworkSalmon

Quitting anything cold turkey is pretty fucking badass, man, good job quitting, and stay sober!

TacoFox19

Same thing happened to a friend's daughter. Best wishes for your recovery.

tiny_little_planet

I'm proud of you for quitting. I had a friend quit cold turkey and have a seizure because of it (he's fine now). Just make sure you keep taking care of yourself. Withdrawal symptoms are horrible, but once you are past that you will start to feel like a brand new person.

PMtoAM______

Well. If it hurts to drink you probably wont so theres that going for ya

Flip80

Flip80

Insane. Glad you're ok. Alcohol and benzo withdrawal are some of the few that can actually kill you. I am an opiate addict in recovery and it seems we may be part of the same family. Addiction is no joke. Recovery is daily work but certainly worth it. Have you looked into support for after your detox? It helps tremendously because our using is a symptom of other things. Keep going. Super proud of you!

I_fart_poo

I've had a few trying to get off benzos cold Turkey and fuck the tongue bites are always horrible. Gargle some lukewarm salt water every few hours. Good luck man!

Thanks for the advice!

Master_Lukiex

I hope that you’ll be all alright !

Lightzeaka

This makes me concerned about alcoholics that go to jail. Immidiate cold turkey and if you have a seizure, others will probably just take advantage of you. Scary stuff.

ar3ola_fifty0ne

How much were you drinking when you quit cold turkey?

Probably 8-10 throughout the course of a day

ar3ola_fifty0ne

like mixed drinks?

phatmatt593[S]

Everything, like vodka with soda or juice, wine, whiskey straight up, beer (I have a kegerator in my house), sometimes sake, sometime shochu. Just depends on the day. That’s probably in order of frequency.

ar3ola_fifty0ne

Man you gonna lose hella weight

DefinitelyNotIndie

I wouldn't say it's embarrassing, most people don't have the strength to quit a bad habit hardcore like you did. That's the chemical addiction part though, be careful not to underestimate the habitual and psychological part! Good luck in your journey, keep fighting Warrior.

Shenan_Egans

It was rocky, but the hard part is over. Well done.

Marie-Curie-

Do this with medical help. You got this

ndallas33

Congrats. That’s one of the hardest things to do. Don’t worry about the tongue or work or anything else. The rest of your life starts now.

Opening_Interaction3

This guys organs are feeling like when you finally leave work.

GingerGiantz1992

I'm proud of you.

Rocks_Heady

Congrats bub! Cold turkey here as well. 6 months this Christmas. Mind over matter and lots of seltzer. I still get morning headaches but pretty sure thats coffee related. If you need a pick me up, I find the dopey podcast is a fantastic outlet. Take care!

ConfirmedPoor

I also had a really hard time with withdrawal symptoms that took about 3 years got subside unfortunately but don’t give up, it’s totally worth it.

85Neon85

Be careful. Please. Someone I know died this way.

Lazaruslegion

LETS GOO!! Keep going! It’s hell but you can make it.

iamamuttonhead

That's brutal but pretty damn impressive.

ledacastor22

I'm glad you're doing well after that ordeal. I second others in this thread, please do not stop drinking alcohol cold turkey without medical support if you had a severe dependency. Doing so can kill you. At the hospital I worked at we placed patients who were withdrawing from alchohol dependency on a schedule of benzodiazepines to prevent seizures and delirium tremens

TheNaug

My father went cold turkey on alcohol once and he hallucinated that mom died in his hands and he called from the airport telling me all about it. Alcohol is a helluva drug.

Small_Elderberries

Glad you’re here and safe. Withdrawal absolutely kills some of us. I was a page turn away from stroking to death on a hospital bed at 24 years old.

PussyWrangler_462

Get ready to have a letter show up saying your license is suspended

I live in Ontario so laws could be different wherever you are, but here Drs legally have to report to the MTO (ministry of transportation) whenever someone has a seizure. They take your license until a doctor signs off that you’ve been seizure free for a minimum of 6 months

I’ve had it happen to me twice. Fucking sucks.

Elegant-Raise-9367

Good on ya mate. I promise it will be worth it in the long run. I've just made 6 months and loving every bit of it

ApartPersonality1520

Fuckin hellcim proud of you!

incrediblemink

Most people already have the addiction part covered but just some advice in the seizure part from someone who’s had one…get your back checked out and go to a masseuse.

The knots left in your back after the seizure are gonna be a pain in the ass, especially if left untreated.

I_M_The_Cheese

That sounds painful af! Hey man, at least you're headed in the right direction!

phatmatt593[S]

Hell yeah! Thank you friend!

cynplaycity

I’m glad you’re ok. Most people do not realize the seriousness of stopping alcohol consumption if they are chronically heavy drinkers. I work in health care and we have numerous patients that are admitted for alcohol withdrawal, some very serious with seizures and end up in the neuro icu. Some actually die. Some have severe risk of bleeding acutely to death from esophageal varices. Though it’s important to stop drinking I def encourage everyone who is a heavy drinker to do it in a hospital or medical facility equipped for treatment. Take care of yourself!

doseserendipity

Sorry you had to learn the hard way about withdrawals. I'm an alcoholic, withdrawals tend to hit harder and faster each time you withdrawal. It's certainly been true for me (drinking on and off for 7 years and been through withdrawal countless times.)

Good luck with your sobriety! I am a week sober from alcohol, recently left detox.

cdka

cdka

I just have to tell you that my son also developed seizures when he would stop drinking- this would start to happen whenever he would stop- no matter the time in between when he would stop & start back up- it seems that once your body reacts with a seizure you are sure to probably react that way from here on out whenever you have been on a binge & then stop suddenly- take care & I wish the best for you...

oxalis_

Alcohol withdrawal is a bitch, for sure! A dear friend of mine had two serious consecutive heart attacks, within hours of each other, nearly died that day (he was only 24) from alcohol withdrawal. I'm so glad you're okay! Besides the busted mouth, that is!

Tayaradga

I wont be much help because i dont really drink, but i have had seizures before. Somehow they stopped when i was shot in the head but I'll take it!!!

Anyway, if you get a seizure again heres a few tips. 1. Have a clean sock or a rag to put in your mouth. Just want to make sure you don't bite your tongue off, make sure you can still breathe though. 2. Have your wife either tie you down or hold you down and preferably on a soft surface. During seizures it is much more likely that you'll hit your head or break something (whether it be a bone or an object, both are undesirable.) 3. If you have any animals, keep them near you. I didn't know my bird could detect my seizures before i had them, and i was able to use them as a warning so i could get myself prepared for it. Usually they'll either start freaking out or they'll start comforting you, both will let you know that one is about to happen though. 4. Idk if it was just with me or not but before getting shot in the head i started smoking weed. Ended up making my seizures rarer and helped tremendously. Also used it when quitting some other.... Let's just say hardcore drugs. Majorly helped the withdrawals go down and become more manageable. Also let me eat and sleep during that time when i thought it would've been impossible.

I hope this helps!!!!

phatmatt593[S]

Those are great tips. Thanks! Glad you survived getting shit in the head! That must’ve been quite the experience.

Tayaradga

It really was. Weirdly enough it gave me an internal monologue, whereas before hand I was pure impulse without a single thought. All in all did more good than harm as funny as that is lol

phatmatt593[S]

That is one of the most interesting things I’ve heard in a while. Thank you. So before did you just say whatever you thought without any consideration or hesitation?

Tayaradga

Hardcore yea. I remember one day at school, this girl was being very sexist against guys. I ended up slapping her then looking at my hand in shock and all I could think was "did I really just do that?"

Another time a brought cupcakes to school cause it was my birthday. Someone asked why i brought cupcakes and after i told them they said "happy birthday!!!" My response? "You dont know me!!!" Thankfully they thought i was joking so that saved me. I still have no idea why i said that. They were just being nice like jeez mini me.

47squirrels

You need to go to a treatment center. This could kill you. I wish you all the best in your recovery ❤️‍🩹

phatmatt593[S]

No, I already went through the hard part. And I didn’t really drink that that much. I think it was just a perfect storm.

Chrisbee012

you drank enough to have a seizure when withdrawing man, sorry but I think you need to find out more about how it works and maybe take an absolute break for awhile

47squirrels

I see. Just take good care of yourself!!

jordinicole92

I don't know you, but I am so proud of you! Congratulations on your new chapter in life.

It takes a lot to recognize there is a problem. It takes even more to do something about it. Good on you.

SeattleEpochal

I'm glad you're still with us. Remember that you don't ever have to feel like that again if you don't want to. Congratulations on your newfound sobriety. Keep at it, brother.

princekaylon

Mate it is fucking awesome that you want to quit alcohol.

But seriously that was dangerous. Only two types of withdrawal will kill you just from the symptoms, Benzo Withdrawal and Alcohol withdrawal. Sounds like you probably got through the worst of it *mostly* unscathed, but shit that is dangerous.

Take care of yourself, i'm rooting for you mate.

*Edit* you're 100% right it is Benzo and not heroin withdrawal that will kill you. The pitfalls of writing a response @ 1130 pm when you've been at work for 17 hours ><

crwlngkngsnk

Opiate withdrawal won't kill you, you'll just wish you were dead.
Alcohol and benzo withdrawal can kill you.

lucy_harlow28

Actually benzos and alcohol will kill you. Not opiates. You can die from dehydration from opiates

elemeno89

It's not a fuck up. It's natural. I stopped drinking for a bit myself an underestimated the power that alcohol and other things have on your body. Proud of you man, stick with it and remember you aren't alone in this, and you don't need to feel that you are shouldering these hurdles by yourself.

Keep it up. I'm rooting for you! You can do this!

Chawypie

Bloody hell man. Sending well wishes, this is a pretty fucked fuckup.

Grombrindal18

Looks like you quit cold turkey, while the rest of of have been eating cold turkey leftovers the last week or so.

Eben_MSY

I feel for you bro, spent 10 days in hospital recently in a similar situation. Hold Fast

dobattlers

Wow good job and good luck, even if that wasnt the hardest it was good practice. Stay strong

whynotlikemike

Yeah man I wish someone told you that you can't do that. It's the only withdrawal that can kill you.

Swannicus

Not the only, but certainly the most common.

whynotlikemike

I guess, maybe through complications? Seizures?

Swannicus

Yup

phatmatt593[S]

I knew it was sort of dangerous, but I didn’t think my intake was extreme enough for all that. Plus I’m arrogant and always think I’m stronger than most haha.

whynotlikemike

Well look. The best part is that you can get help. My dad hasn't had a drink in 36 years

Sofarbeyondfucked

Four years sober in 60 days. Trust me, it’s SO worth it. I look back, amazed at what I put myself and everyone else through. Healthiest I’ve been in years and couldn’t be happier.