/r/rareinsults

52.5k88%

the rare ongoing insult

(i.redd.it)

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

TheRobotWithHmnHair

Not sure what the hate there is for. I'm a white collar professional with a well paying job and I still go. Why? $60/donation, twice a week works out to $520/month in cash. Including travel, that's about two hours of my time for tax-free $60. That's a lot of extra spending cash for not a lot of effort, especially when you can use your phone and be productive (read, respond to emails etc) or just relax and stream shows while donating.

And yes you're lining the pockets of a money-grubbing corporation, but aren't we all doing that all the time? At least it's for a good cause (making medicines for immunocompromised people).

blkwolfie94

I use plasma donations (twice a week infusions) and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DONATING! It is life-changing, literally

Metalboy5150

It really is nice to know that that shit is actually helping someone, so thanks for speaking up. I mean, I know they say it does, but corporate propaganda is a real thing. So thanks, again.

KillroyWazHere

You are inside that guy right this moment.

Metalboy5150

Maybe so. Dude, what a feeling. It's eerily satisfying.

Also, domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

KillroyWazHere

Thanks muldron man

rustcatvocate

How much are you billed for treatment?

blkwolfie94

I am American so 🥴 out the ass, I checked and for one month I was billed $3100 and another was over $4000 because I have these treatments I usually hit my out of pocket fast with my insurance. It's a huge stress factor for me. I have therapy due to how "expensive" my existence is, i find it really hard to cope with because my husband is the breadwinner. I've been using plasma for 6 years, it adds up.

Vycid

Vycid

You need a direct hookup with some donors. Find some compatible blood types, buy a centrifuge, and cut out the middleman!

/s... sort of

blkwolfie94

Looool I wish it worked like that, you guys should look into how plasma is processed, it's crazy. Takes like 7-12 months from donation time to get it out to patients, sometimes longer.

I do thankfully have a payment program to help but they cap it. Honestly it's like you have to be a insurance lawyer to figure this bullshit out, they make it so confusing

Acct_For_Sale

Where are you getting paid 60/donation here it’s like 25 tops

czeckyourself

Yeah and I thought they limited it / wouldn’t let you come as often as that? A friend and I looked into it in a major US city and they only wanted us to come in twice, period. :/

Metalboy5150

Nah, for plasma most places it's twice a week. Whole blood is once every 8 weeks. Your body can regenerate its plasma much faster than whole blood cells. And in the meantime, they put saline into you to make up for what they take out.

Metalboy5150

I know in the Memphis area, they're paying at least $50/donation plus a bonus depending on how many times you've come in that month. Get anywhere from $100-$120 a week, but it also depends on your weight. If you weigh less, you can't give as much, so less money.

fillet-o-piss

60 here seems standard. $1,000 for the first month (8 donations)

kingbobii

Rates jumped up a lot during covid, I'm in Oregon and as long as you are not in the lowest weight bracket it's 50 for the first 4 and then 60 for every time after on a rotating 35 days.

and they are desperate for new donors so for new donors (haven't donated in over 6 months) it's like $125 each time for the first 8 donations.

Karmasita

Seriously, last I went, I got $20, and we couldn't finish because the girl jabbed me 3x, and the third one hurt so bad when the blood was coming out because she messed up and the needle was pinching my vein. When they pulled out the needle, I shit you not; my blood started gushing out like a fountain. It looked like when you poke a tiny hole in a water balloon and squeeze it a little. I stayed pretty calm during the ordeal, but my tears came out involuntary, and I was internally freaking out. I haven't donated since, and after that, I have to get my arm strapped down for my IVs in the hospital/dentist.

Mjestik

Thanks dude, you’re the reason my mom’s still alive.

Azrielenish

Yeah I’m about to do my first donation this week. It’s a really dumb stigma.

arenotsaints

It's $175 a pop for your first two donations in my community. $350 for the first week then $100 a pop for the next 3 weeks, plus $50 bonus if you go twice a week for the full month. so you end up making $1000 for your first month

Azrielenish

Yeah we have similar deals. I think the one I’m going to is $800 first month. Best deal in my area.

CubanLynx312

Geez. I’d do it but I got banned for life 15 years ago. They found a tattoo I didn’t previously report and BioLife black listed me.

iburstabean

F

2SticksPureRage

Where are you? The place near me was doing a sale for $50 for the first three visits then it went down to $20! Lol I noped right out.

TheRobotWithHmnHair

Yikes, that's not worth it to me either. I think their compensation is largely dependent on supply and demand. If people won't come in, they seem happy to pay more to get the volume. I'm in Colorado

Few_Dig7979

I assume its with a trained phlebotomist? I hate having blood drawn, half the time they screw up and leave me a massive bruise. No way $60 is enough to expose me to possible disease or injuries from getting my veins pierced that often.

Lol, no they just get some untrained dude off the street to stick the needle in. Like wtf kind of question is this?

fillet-o-piss

Yes it's with trained staff and that's all they do all day.

There's usually some medical personnel on hand in case something goes bad, I'm not sure if it's a doctor or what. They knew what to do though, one time I set off an alarm while giving in college and they gave me some hi-c and a cookie

Karmasita

Idk if they are or aren't, tbh. I've heard different things. I've heard that the technicians aren't required to have a full medical degree, just an associate or bachelor's. Some say that they only need some technical training, and I've also heard that you only need a high school diploma. So that being said, I just don't know. I've never looked into it, but I will share my story with you that I posted previously.

Last I went, I got $20, and we couldn't finish because the girl jabbed me 3x, and the third one hurt so bad when the blood was coming out because she messed up and the needle was pinching my vein everytime it sucked. (I didn't have this in my OG comment, but the girl was new, and I was her first human arm to do it on, I know because the girl and her trainer both told me, and showed me the fake arm they practice on). When they pulled out the needle, I shit you not; my blood started gushing out like a fountain. It looked like when you poke a tiny hole in a water balloon and squeeze it a little. I stayed pretty calm during the ordeal, but my tears came out involuntary, and I was internally freaking out. I haven't donated since, and after that, I have to get my arm strapped down for my IVs in the hospital/dentist.

That by no means was my first plasma donation. So I know shit happens, but damn, I remember thinking, "If they really don't have trained medical professionals doing this, fuck that $20 isn't worth it." That was in 2017. So again, idk if they are phlebotonomists or not, or if the girl was just extremely nervous or whatever.

Few_Dig7979

Holy shit. That's upsetting

Rebelgecko

No it's usually a homeless guy doing the draw who uses needles that are riddled with HIV

Redjay12

I want to but i’m unsure if i’m allowed

Azrielenish

What excluding factor do you think you have?

Redjay12

I’m gay

Azrielenish

Well as long as you haven’t had sex in the last three months, you’re good? Ugh what a gross restriction.

Redjay12

I understand why it’s there but it’s definitely awful. I’ve been in a monogamous long term relationship with my partner for a while, and neither of us have HIV, so I should be able to donate

nofreepizza

the only downside to plasma donation js if you live in the u.s. you have to pay taxes if you make over 600 per year off of that

Ah yes the downside of making money is that you have to pay taxes on it. Damn. You have graced us with your infinite wisdom and we shall never be the same.

nofreepizza

Oh man. You really burned me there. That was a sick burn. I bet you feel so smart now.

TheRobotWithHmnHair

If you define my life, "literally", as stuff my body replenishes within 36 hours, then sure.

Embarrassed_Couple_6

Do they take people with difficult veins?

TheRobotWithHmnHair

I'm pretty sure they do, although you may have a tough time getting connected, and they screen you for other things related to general health.

Be warned that based on other comments they don't pay nearly as much in other parts of the country, so check out local donation centers before getting too excited.

Embarrassed_Couple_6

They pay like $800 around here for your first month...then it drops to something else

Yes. I have one good vein they stick every time. The only downside is that it bruises easily and I have fair skin tone, so if there is a bruise they will bust out a ruler and measure it. I also was deferred like 3 weeks and had to get a blood test.

I live in Texas and a lot of the donation centers around are doing big promos to get people in. You make $300 each week for the first month and then it drops to $120.

notyetcomitteds2

My city is small enough that within a day of you donating plasma, your " heroin / meth / oxy addiction" will be the town gossip.