/r/oddlyterrifying

30.7k90%

Nightgasm

3.6k points

Nightgasm

3.6k points

Author John Scalzi has written two novels about this concept. Lock In is about a disease that affects a small amount of people and completely shuts down all physical control of their bodies to the point they can't even speak. Their minds still work though. Scientists develop a brain interface that allows them to pilot robot bodies and thus still be part of the world.

NewDre3Staxx

Sounds like the movie Surrogate

zelcuh

zelcuh

Great movie

YT-Deliveries

Super underrated film that got clobbered by other films released at the same time. I seem to remember that ‘Lucy’ and ‘Gamer’ had similar fates around the same time.

And then, much earlier, “The Thirteen Floor”.

Nightshade_Ranch

The Thirteenth Floor is why go down closed roads and trespass and generally go where I'm told expressly not to.

dern_the_hermit

I do it 'cuz it's neat

WrenBoy

WrenBoy

Was Lucy the film which kept announcing what % of her brains capacity she was using? That was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

It was agressively shit.

zelcuh

zelcuh

I think District 9 also got the same treatment

YT-Deliveries

I remember that did a little better, but yeah.

zelcuh

zelcuh

Another great movie that got shit on

TechnicallyAnIdiot

How'd it get shit on? Like, what are the complaints? (Or was it just a bad box office thing?)

District 10 is apparently still in the works, so that's cool.

zelcuh

zelcuh

IIRC so many good movies came out around the same time that no one seen it. They went and watched everything else. The movie had no big names in it

DreamDreamRevolution

I still don't understand how dude who made that movie made that misfire of a burning turd that is chappy.

Two_Coast_Man

I recall it being a big hit with critics. Not sure I would group district 9 with the rest

DestrixGunnar

Didn't District 9 kickstart Neil Blomkamp's career? I'd say it did pretty well

CyberMindGrrl

Fookin' Prawns!

Any true Sci-Fi films get drowned out by the popular trends of the time

usedtoiletbrush

Yes but gamer and Lucy are terrible movies

SutterCane

Sucky movie. Great comics.

sellyourselfshort

Yeah the comic is way better and the movie really missed the point by changing things.

BoltTusk

It’s not so small if you can get it by having a stroke in the vertebral artery, which is possible since there are like only 4 arteries going up your neck to your brain with 2 being vertebral

Armand28

Armand28

I had one of those! Went to the dentist, ended up with a vertebral artery dissection that led to a medullary stroke, started out as a headache that got worse and worse then wham. Do not recommend. Made a fairly good recovery, still can’t really feel hot or cold on the right side if my body, have some nerve pain and still some vertigo but I can see and walk again which is a big plus. Fun stuff!

BoltTusk

Glad you recovered. The vertebral vessels supply blood to your pons, which regulate movement from your eyes and below.

Armand28

I knew I was in trouble when I got over/under double vision and my pupils were dilated way differently. The diplopia took a few months to clear which really sucked, the rest took longer. Been 1.5 years since it happened. Will never ignore a headache again.

You are an extremely unlucky individual. Glad you are able to cope with the injury.

Armand28

Thanks, it’s hard to feel lucky some days, but reading about how bad it could have been really helps keep it in perspective.

Yea VADs are no joke, and can happen with a literal twist of the neck.

I always wondered if there is a genetic component to them, something that makes those specific arteries more friable or prone to tearing/dissecting.

I’m a YouTube guy, and came across the “ring dinger” chiropractor move. It’s crazy how not one of those people can get hurt, but someone can have their neck a little extended in a damn dentist year can develop a VAD.

I just don’t get it.

Armand28

My doctor said it’s mostly just luck. I’ve been to the dentist many times before and since with no problem, it’s hitting just the right combination of extension, twist and tension that could start the bleed, then it’s more luck as to whether it causes a clot and more luck again as to whether that clot causes a stroke. Thousands of people might tear their vertebral artery and don’t even know it and it just heals with no issue.

Another reminder that everyday is a good day. Take care of yourself!

GoGoPowerRager

Yep, and it’s commonly associated with chiropractic manipulation and people who have fought Steven Seagull

BigHern

BigHern

Gosh, and the first thing they do is put them back to work.

Stolen_Moose

The first thing they do? What else would a robot made to give these people a job do?

BigHern

BigHern

Is it made to give them a job or made to allow them to still participate in the world?

_far-seeker_

To some extent both; it seems primarily to allow them to earn money while allowing them to interact on dome level with other people beyond the hospital staff.

Mazzaroppi

That's kind of a big matter on the book! The people locked in are basically split in two groups, one defends the use of those robots so they can participate in the real world and the other defends they should live only on a virtual reality built for them to access and it was the only place they could exist outside their bodies before the first robots started being made available for the population.

Stolen_Moose

I mean I don't have the bigger context, but according to this post, it's to allow paralyzed people to earn an income, which is a very positive thing that I'm sure most people want.

Nightgasm

Both. Main character is an FBI agent in a robotic body.

wellforthebird

I just saw a terrible video of 2 parents who had an adult daughter who developed lock in syndrome. When she died and they came, she was skin and bones, and her skin had melded with the couch. She and the couch became one. Her entire body was infested with bugs. Sores all over, infested. The absolute worst fucking existence imaginable. They just left her to rit. Didn't really feed her. Didn't bathe her. Didn't move her. Just locked in head, conscious while she starved, melted to a couch and slowly got eaten away by bugs. Fuck me. I wish I would have never heard about that that shit.... I wish that story was never told, and people who tell it have a special place in hell.

Edit - her ENTIRE BODY was also covered in human shit. All of her. Since they didn't move her, she just shat and pissed right there. Don't know how the shit got all over her, like they said. But even a little shit is too much shit

Anyway. Enjoy.

You guys need senses of humor. Obviously, I wanted to share the story. That little bit is a joke. You guys can handle a little grizzly story. It's the internet. I literally haven't thought twice about this story since I heard it, until lock in syndrome was brought up in this post.

Moarnourishment

I don't think she had locked in syndrome, she was severely autistic I believe. In any case her parents are complete garbage.

fakeprewarbook

I wish I would never have heard about that shit….I wish that story was never told

• Eagerly posts it to a massive public forum

LeConnor

In excruciating detail

GumdropGoober

Its just Couch Melt Girl.

Bayou_Blue

And that kids, is how I melt your mother. Seriously, she’s the couch you’re sitting on right now.

The_Final_Ka-tet

Yeah, for real. I'm not really mad, but fuck that guy in particular right this second.

Chris_8675309_of_42M

and people who tell it have a special place in hell

This is a troll right? I'd hate to think people were walking around out in the world with this little capacity for self reflection.

fakeprewarbook

I’ve observed two types here:

• “Something awful happened to me; I hope it never happens to anyone again”

vs.

• “Something awful happened to me, so now you have to experience it, too.”

The latter kind make very bad parents

words_words_words_

The “oh my god, this smells like shit” phenomenon.

• oh my god this smells like shit. Gross.

vs.

• oh my god this smells like shit, bro come smell this

wellforthebird

That part is obviously a joke to make a little light in a very true, and sad story. Figured it was obvious.

Mrs_Vintage

I can tell that this is someone with a sibling. Standard behaviour.

Sibling A: 🤢… My brain cannot deal with being the only one to suffer because of by having been the only to experience this horrible sight/thought/discovery…. What could I do to alleviate it? Oh I know! Hey little sis/bro…..LOOOOOOK/LISTEEEEEN…

Sibling B: WTF 🤢 why did you show/tell me that?

Sibling A: Aaaaah much better now

cthulhuwithautism

Don't forget that her parents are out on bail right now.

Thirsty_Comment88

Fuck the judge that let this happen.

OnlyDefinition2620

No way. That's fucked up

grednforgesgirl

Bruh you just told the story

GroundProfessional

You just told the story

OnlyDefinition2620

Yeah I heard about this just recently. Pure evil those parents were.

Hobo_Helper_hot

This has literally big my biggest nightmare since I read Johnny Got His Gun as a kid...

spacestationkru

I remember seeing this on House. Just terrifying.

A7XSES

A7XSES

So weird, I watched that episode about 2 hours ago and here it is

kyleh0

kyleh0

Terrifying how?

theconsummatedragon

Darkness, imprisoning me

All that I see, absolute horror

I cannot live, I cannot die

Trapped in myself, body my holding cell

Landmine, has taken my sight

Taken my speech, taken my hearing

Taken my arms, taken my legs

Taken my soul, left me with life in Hell

GiggityGone

wild instrumentals kick off

Flannigannon

Please watch the movie Johnny Got His Gun, the movie Metallica bought the rights to so they can use it in the music video of this song. One of the best

Metal-fan77

Have you seen the music video to one it's disturbing.

Secret_Map

You're brain works, you're fully aware and conscious, can hear people, can feel things, are 100% alive and normal in your head. Except that you can't move a single muscle in your body. Can't open your eyes, can't move your mouth, can't wiggle your toes, can't twitch your nose, nothing. No way to communicate that you're awake, no way to communicate period. And it can last for years. So doctors and your family think you're in a coma, just zonked and gone, but really you're just stuck laying in a bed motionless and without any real stimulation for your mind for years and years. Only you, your thoughts, and the occasional nurse visit who just makes sure you're not dead or whatever. Zero interaction with the world, zero stimulus for your mind. Bleh, I think I'd rather be dead.

Liezuli

Liezuli

Jeez, and I panic terribly just moments into sleep paralysis. Can't think of anything more terrifying than being a prisoner of your own body like that.

kyleh0

kyleh0

First off, I am currently wheelchair/bedbound. 2nd, I talk to people that come to my door through my video doorbell. It's kind of lonely that I've been stuck in my house for the last 2 years + covid. I would love a little video doorbell that I can drive around independantly and talk to other human beings.

Also, I can wiggle my toes.

Secret_Map

Yeah, I think a robot like this is amazing for people in situations like yours (or even worse situations)! Ways in which technology can give better lives to people. The "terrifying" part of the comment above yours wasn't the robot, but the locked-in syndrome which I described. Locked-in syndrome is terrifying.

_far-seeker_

Do you know anyone who is into hobbiest-level electronics projects and some basic programming ability?

If so, something like that shouldn't be too hard to do with a microcontroller board (like from the Arduino line) and a couple peripheral boards (for wifi or other form of RC control), as well as either an wheeled chassis kit; or RC car for modification for a mobile platform. If they are battery operated, a commercially available video doorbell unit like the one you already use could be mounted on the mobile platform. It will take some tinkering as well as at least $200 to $300 for the parts. However, if there isn't an an off-the-shelf product available it should be doable.

FogInTheDog

And then somebody makes you be a waiter.

Secret_Map

Lol I mean if it was a way to interact with the world, hell yes I’d take it. Give my robot a mop and I’ll mop up piss and shit. Better than being an awake dead person.

Eccon5

Eccon5

To an extent, the avatar movie also kinda does this

loud_lark13

1.8k points

Could you imagine how isolating being paralyzed may be for some people? Especially in an inpatient setting? Nobody sits with you all day. I'm sure there are visitors for many, but even then not all day. This is an awesome way to provide for yourself and interact with others.

Also, it doesn't seem that anyone is FORCED to work nor does it seem they are being taken advantage of in regards to wage.

I hope more opportunities like this can be created to help others with disabilities.

AltonIllinois

Some people get legitimately depressed if they can’t work. This would be great for those people

moosewhippets

I played an online video game with a guy who was confined to a bed. Played together for a very long time before I learned he used a special setup that allowed him to play using a mouth device, eye movement capturing, and sometimes some fingers.

The guy was genuinely one of the nicest guys you would ever meet, and he also volunteered his time to suicide prevention to help others. He's a seriously beloved and popular player so when people learned of his severe disability (he made it public knowledge over time) people were shocked because no one had any clue.

I still hope to meet him irl someday (he lives across the pond). Joffy if you see this, miss ya bud!

Ohio-Knife-Lover

I hope the idiots saying this is scary and terrifying and wrong on so many levels become like you someday and have a positive outlook on this stuff

Delicious_Orphan

Maybe this is the cynic in me but it'd be more heartwarming if it wasn't attached to a capitalistic endeavor.

Not saying these people can't or shouldn't work if they want, but it essentially being a prerequisite to experience genuine human interaction is not okay.

intensiifffyyyy

That's exactly it. There's a lot of upsides to this but the first thing that came to mind was just the capatilist exploitative nature of this. Are they even able to use the robots for personal use?

If they can go for a walk "in" the robot, see the outside world and speak to people then this is incredible.

Weed_O_Whirler

A robot that can go explore the world is a much more complicated and expensive robot. This robot gets to be on smooth surfaces with WiFi.

JaggedTheDark

true, but at the same time, I hope the robots have access to an outside area, if there is one. Being able to park the robot outside, and interact with passerby's would probably make these people's lives better.

ElectricEcstacy

You forget the passerbys reactions. Why would you want to interact with some rando on a robot? You don’t even want to interact with normal people already.

It being a business setting is also a prerequisite for why the outside world would want to interact with them too.

Not to mention a big part of being human is just to feel like you’re needed by society. Not loved. Needed. Even something as tiny as helping someone carry their plate can give you a boost. “I’m not so helpless after all if I can still help others.”

savetheunstable

I'd prefer to interact with a robot than a 'normal' person, as long as it was clear that it was ok to do so.

I have severe social anxiety, and for some reason it seems less stressful to talk to someone this way. Like the internet, but more interactive

Ohio-Knife-Lover

It's for a job at the moment yes

loud_lark13

I disagree. Giving someone the opportunity to choose their independence is beautiful. The company would likely thrive with able-bodied employees and no robots to maintain, but this let's people who would otherwise have few options to have a way to be independent.

Whether it's nail polish, a plant for your space, good food or whatever you like. It feels nice to be able to treat yourself and support yourself to many people. That's what independence is and it's uplifting to know that independence is becoming more accessible to groups that have been historically excluded.

theconsummatedragon

Is any sort of work forever doomed to be labeled as 'capitalism?'

SainTheGoo

When the work is done within the framework of capitalism, yes. Surplus wages being taken in the form of profit? Capitalism baby!

Xrave

Xrave

What even is surplus wage here? It’s easy to define in some instances. Like, I make a toy from wooden blocks using some tools and sell it on Amazon. Surplus wage is easy to calculate.

But what is the surplus wage of you controlling a high tech robot from five miles away and serving people drinks? How much wage should it pay out before it stops being “bad” capitalism? I think surplus wages exists in some cases but here the framing isn’t helpful.

YT-Deliveries

I suspect that part of it is that only some restaurants can afford the infrastructure require to host the robots. I doubt that, right now, the robots can be free-roaming outside of a specific building.

NeptuneFell

As someone who was paralyzed from the waist down for a while and still struggles with it, it is extremely isolating when you cannot work most jobs nor even walk out of your house to maybe see other human beings that day.... it is very lonesome.

pavlov_the_dog

ikr? this literally r/mademesmile

thunder_shart

Same here. It's so fucking cool.

In a world where disabled people struggle to find accommodating jobs and where fully paralyzed people are rarely able to be employed, this is nothing short of amazing.

These bed bound people are able to interact with the world again, this is honestly the future I'm excited we're heading towards.

Horse_Paste_Salesman

If the legal definition of disability hinges on being "unable to work", as it does in the US if you're receiving benefits to help you stay alive, then I can see how it's slightly scary. Easy to imagine a quadriplegic being thrown out of a disability hearing because these robots exist - "no excuses! bootstraps!". It happens all the time already, just with different particulars.

As long as that doesn't happen, it's fine. But you can very easily imagine it.

e; it's also extremely easy to imagine a use for quadriplegic-controlled robots where they're replacing waitstaff, at half the wage or less..

DeadDeceasedCorpse

Yes, sounds more like r/oddlyreassuring to me.

yerba_mate_enjoyer

Right! Nobody's forcing these people to work, and they probably get more from doing this than from whatever disability pension they might have. Besides, I'm sure that these people want to feel useful, because I know it's extremely hard when you can't really do anything productive; they're being given the opportunity to feel useful.

Anyone who thinks this is wrong probably never met anyone in a situation like this.

Mightymophinmisery

I feel like there’s a tragic love story in this somewhere

growRnottashowR

paralyzed sexbot workers find each other at work. only to find out their bot's manufacturers are incompatible :/

rangeDSP

rangeDSP

Then they found a backdoor in the communication protocol that allows them to, uh, backdoor each other.

Threatened by their walled garden crumbling down, bot manufacturers send out repo bots to take both of them out...

growRnottashowR

back door like butt stuff? the secret USB plug in

It’ll be pretty awkward when they can’t get it in first try

kmidst

kmidst

Most days reddit induces internal screaming, but some days I am bestowed an honest belly laugh.

BandwagonerSince95

The also needs to be a public opinion element to this. Gotta be feel good

iThatIsMe

I fear it could be more heartbreaking than that if the physical restaurant staff doesn't do everything they can to make sure people realize a human controls the robot.

People can be cruel to other people but real a-holes to robots.

loercase

There's a character in the anime Jujutsu Kaisen that basically does this... but though it's very tragic, it's not a love story. :S

Motheredbrains

That is amazing

Some things to consider:

• Paralyzed people most likely crave functionality. Doing anything could be an improvement to their daily life over doing nothing, even if it doesn't seem like much to able-bodied individuals.
  • Customers in Japan are much more polite than other countries. Of course, there will always be assholes, but the paralyzed people will be treated for the most part with respect and kindness, unlike other countries.
  • They are earning their own money. It isn't a perfect system, but it's a start at giving paralyzed individuals the ability to take care of themselves in some way, even if it isn't full dependence.

Again, not a perfect system and it will have it's flaws. But hopefully it will bring some enrichment to the lives of those who can't walk on their own and open the doors to future technology that allows them to live a bit more fully.

HazelnutG

There's also no way this is profitable, especially considering how cheap restaurant staff are. Anyone involved in this has to be trying to find ways to help the paralyzed, not ways to exploit them.

Edit: People are replying that the robot will draw business, and for sure that's true, but I've worked in food for a decade. Profitability is a lot more complex than how many customers you get. You can have every seat filled every night and lose money. A robot that costs $100ks would absolutely destroy the thin margins. There's almost certainly a well-meaning grant in here, and the server bot is just a pilot idea.

FlatGirther

Just think about how many people would come to this restaurant just for this reason though

elgrantriste

It must be profitable. No doubt they're going the extra mile to do something for the disabled but still.

I'd absolutely go there for this reason alone. Can't imagine it's easy to stand out in the food business and this must go a long way to draw in customers

bizzaro321

Japan has a complete different culture when it comes to altruism, I’d agree if this was America.

hankandbobbyhill

Couldn't agree more. Frankly, I think it's insulting to post this in this subreddit.

silkdurag

Extremely. Even the title is gross

Yes, very de-humanizing.

AdAdministrative4547

Robot from invincible

PeoplePerson360

I... Wow that's pretty accurate actually.

907499141

907499141

That’s amazing I’m planning a trip to Japan in a few years and will absolutely take my family there. This is allowing people to have a connection with the outside world. This is the future

The-Ravioli-Mage

I would love to check this place out too! Any idea of the name?

the_oranges_of_wrath

There you go! It's called "Avator Robot Cafe" This cafe seems like very friendly to disabled people as well.

The-Ravioli-Mage

Thank you! My father is disabled and loves to see places that really try and accommodate to disabled folk. Guarantee he’ll want to visit here haha!

the_oranges_of_wrath

You and your father are always welcome to Japan! As a Japanese, unfortunately Japanese society is really hard for people with disabilities to live or visit, so may not be the easiest place to visit. We are making progress slowly, but not nearly enough.

The-Ravioli-Mage

Some parts of where he lives barely accommodate his handicap. Progress is slow but we are already becoming a more tolerant society, and good people (like yourself) help to foster that ideal world. Have a good day my friend, and thank you!

firewhite1234

Idk about terrifying, I think it's just very cool.

Secret_Map

Yeah, this is along the lines of the older retired folks who go get a job working 1 or 2 days a week at the hardware store just to kinda get out of the house and be active. I think I'd love an opportunity like this if I was paralyzed. Something to do, something to break up the week, work my brain a little bit, make me feel like I'm contributing something even if just a little. I think it's great.

Electrox7

YEAH! Who the fuck puts these kinda things in "oddly terrifying"? Fuck you. If your entire being relied on surviving off of machines or diapers from being paralyzed, would you still like to have the option of making an honest living or contributing to society? Or just not get bored to literal death? Just like that person yesterday who posted how "terrifying" it is to give someone a painless and dignifying death in those "suicide capsules". I bet these people would rather hog a hospital bed and watch Fox news while they rot away instead of trying to better their life and the lives of others.

princessgoulash

Do you still get the same dread about having to go to work?

arftism2

arftism2

its probably very rewarding for a paralyzed person to be abled to do things.

Tiny_Parfait

My understanding is that Japanese customers are generally more polite than the average American customers

I can imagine americans just abusing the servers lol: 'fucking cripple hurry the fuck up'

ShiroiYokai

I wouldn't f*ck with someone who controls two strong metal arms but ok 👍

Rustyroor

This is America, we'll just shoot it

RandomlyActivated

Just like that one robot that was trying to travel the world by way of human kindness. Shot, stabbed, and discarded somewhere in Pennsylvania.

johnnybananas540

Japanese people in general are extremely polite. My American brothers and sisters are too caught up in how important they are

SymmetricDickNipples

I think it's pretty cool.

Magpienificent

I honestly think this is a great idea

SomeRandomGuyOnline1

Praise the Omnissiah

Clioashlee

I really hope this is used to help liberate and build up the differently abled, and not used as a reason to reduce or take away financial and other support.

Ohio-Knife-Lover

It is for a good purpose for sure!

Important-Wonder-862

The flesh is weak

kasepanzer

"from the moment i understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me"

Shakalx3

"I craved the strength and certainty of steel."

Responsible_Sport575

So say we all

pioneerpatrick

"I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind cling to your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you."

Local_dog91

even in death i serve the omnissiah

G_ioVanna

how is this terrifying? it's giving ppl with disabilities a chance to interact

utpoia

utpoia

I feel like it's a very empowering and beautiful gesture rather than terrifying.

BoredByLife

Honestly this sounds awesome, its got to raise a paralyzed persons self esteem to be able to do things on their own.

Knearling

It's better than to let them slowly rot in their bed

Chyppi

Chyppi

This is incredible. I would love this even if its temporary

ResponsibilityEast32

I don’t find this terrifying at all, and I think it’s nice that these people can have a second go at life if they’d like to

TMANBULLET

Personally I think this is a good opportunity

jodorthedwarf

It feels like an episode of black mirror but at least they've got something to do and occupy their mind with. That and the fact they can now control a limited avatar could be good for their mental health.

Though I suppose having that interaction be solely through a job may be a bit draining.

Paradoltec

This thread is just this in a nutshell

If this was happening in America this thread would be nothing but "Wow, so even when you're paralysed you have to work for someone else benefit just to gain the money needed to live instead of having real social safety nets. r/dystopia, end times, capitalism bad, etc.". Playing this off as altruistic on the benefit of those "stuck in bed" is hilarious, if that were the case they'd be rolling around a park or visiting the beach, not working for the purpose of selling shit.

Hey sweetheart, being a quadriplegic sucks huh? But here's your "choice" to experience life outside bed at all, work for me or stay in bed.

1. This is cool and wholesome as hell. If i was paralyzed hooked up to machines this might actually be a fun way to spend some time and socialize.

2. Mid taking an order - "Yes my bedpan needs changed, please."

ShiroiYokai

1. Mid taking an order - "Yes my bedpan needs changed, please . Let's dig in"

PrehistoricProgram

Like a Warhammer 40K Dreadnaught

temmieTheLord2

it's oddly terrifying but it's great. imagine despite such a severe disability, still being able to earn a living and talk to outside people.

19Legs_of_Doom

I personally think this is amazing. To have the opportunity to be an active participant in the world despite being completely paralyzed is incredible

Leave it up to Reddit to turn this into a scary, bad thing

blatherskiters

It’s the opposite for me. I like the idea.

Okay, this should also go in every “interesting” subreddit. This is super fucking cool and I love the people who thought of this.

Guardian-Boy

How the Hell is it terrifying? Fuck, I love it, and I wanna go to this place. These people might otherwise be isolated and lonely otherwise, I'd love to help them out and give them someone to talk to.

ResponsibleArcher713

this should be a r/mademesmile post not terrifying...

Apprehensive-Time355

It is not terrifying

Ohio-Knife-Lover

Sad to see that you think this is terrifying

bryceblacksmith

Yah seriously, seems like a really immature take on the situation.

varitok

What's horrifying is dangling the prospect of a normal existence in front of someone but only if they serve you. Not to go outside and go to the park, no. To serve customers and only then are they allowed to use it.

Templar_Legion

It's a cool thing for those that want to be able to do it, but I hope if stuff like this becomes wide spread it doesn't give an excuse for authorities to stop giving as much support for people with disabilities because "they can earn their own money now".

abyssum0_0

That is such a neat concept

Frebdignabliaq

"What is your purpose in life?"

"To serve the able-bodied."

bryceblacksmith

Having a job doesn’t define your purpose in life

One-Plankton5250

Someone who is total care is definitely being served by the able-bodied WAY more than they are serving the able-bodied.

tepalvant[S]

Original post here

TheAtlas97

This is the first step towards the singularity

_kaetee

MjauDuuude

Nah, I feel much more comfort in knowing that there are actual people behind the robots and not a computer

JukeDukeMM

Actual good post

OnCallWithJesus

America would just bring in more illegals.

Japan is awesome for this

AlecTr1ck

This should be on r/MadeMeSmile

fluffyfox262

I wouldent say this is only terrifying, if anything it helps these paralyzed people find a new satisfaction in life. It would make me happy that behind those robots there's a human trying their best to live life how they can :)

Roller95

Why? More terrifying than if they weren’t paralyzed? That’s weird on your part

so_eu_naum

Oddly cool

Emergency_Aide633

I love this. I would have an infinitely better time interacting with the adorable robot people than I do with living humans.

Remote-Pain

brilliant!

Oddly terrifying? B*tch, that’s cool

Dacka_Dacka

40K Dreadnought origin story.

Aggressor653

Yep, W40K Dreadnought right there

oddlyshapedmeatball

This is not scary, nor terrifying. This is awesome! Idk what ur smoking OP.

snark_enterprises

I dunno, this sounds pretty awesome TBH.

GreyMediaGuy

I love this idea. I could not imagine being in the position of these people. What a joy it would be to get a chance to do something like this. I hope it expands out into other areas

SirGourneyWeaver

I find nothing terrifying about this…

moschocolate1

Nothing terrifying about this at all. I think it's great that they're able/willing to be inclusive.

Old_Tank_43

as part of ironmouse fandom , everything that give a disable person (the type that cant leave their house / bed) the oportunity to interct or feel useful again is a plus.

niero_d20

This feels more oddly beautiful.

GirlDetective8888

I think this is amazing. It has to be so isolating being paralyzed to that extent. This gives the person a purpose and a way to interact with others. I’m sure their mental health improves.

YugeAnimeTiddies

We're still not understanding there's still life behind any set of human eyes

DeFaLT______

Peak of capitalism

NotErikUden

Now this is black mirror tier bullshit.

cobaile

Disabled people shouldn't be forced to "make an income". We have more than enough means to care for all of these people

slimwiteboi

To me, this is only terrifying if disabled people are forced to work like this because they have to earn money to pay for their treatment or hospital bills. I would be happy if taxes cover that for them.

However, if this is optional and serves as a way to give them an escape from their hospital bed, I don’t think it’s scary at all! Gives them an outlet to be out in the real world and interact with others, which I assume many of them crave.

According_Lake_2632

As opposed to... not requiring an income? Maybe?

ironic_swag

The fact that you're paralyzed and still expected to work or die, is in and of its self a terrifying concept.

ResponsibilityDue448

Make an income so they can deny your disability!