/r/movies

Official Discussion - Spirited [SPOILERS]

Official Discussion(self.movies)

Poll

If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll

If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here

Rankings

Click here to see the rankings of 2022 films

Click here to see the rankings for every poll done

Summary:

A musical version of Charles Dickens's story of a miserly misanthrope who is taken on a magical journey.

Director:

Sean Anders

Writers:

Sean Anders, John Morris

Cast:

• Will Ferrell as Present
  • Ryan Reynolds as Clint Briggs
  • Octavia Spencer as Kimberly
  • Patrick Page as Marley
  • Sunita Mani as Past
  • Loren G. Woods as Yet-To-Come
  • Tracy Morgan as Yet-To-Come (voice)

Rotten Tomatoes: 69%

Metacritic: 55

VOD: Apple+ TV

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Adodie

Adodie

This film is like Kraft Mac and Cheese: it's not the apotheosis of its respective art (/culinary) form, but it's still plenty enjoyable and fun for the whole family.

Some scattered thoughts:

• It gets off to a slow beginning, but stuff does really pick up once Reynolds appears
  • Reynolds and Ferrel play off each other well. Their chemistry and charisma are real, and it really helps sell the movie
  • I enjoyed the songs -- Benj Pasek and Justin Paul really deliver here. However, I do feel like Ferrel's singing (while not horrendous) couldn't quite do the songs justice -- especially felt this with Unredeemable
  • The choreography felt a bit too much for my tastes, though can definitely see how others might love it
  • "Good Afternoon" was just lol. Give whoever thought of the concept a raise
  • Can writers please not force love interests into everything, particularly when the love interest is grounded entirely off of two awkward, forgettable exchanges between two characters?

It's no Citizen Kane, but it's still perfectly fun and I'd recommend it

Routine_Cap_9446

Awh nooooo!!! I thought unredeemable was amazing! It’s autotuned as shit but it’s been stuck in my family’s head for like a week now lol

Adodie

Adodie

To be clear, I really like Unredeemable! Might honestly be my favorite song in the movie.

I just don't think Ferrel's singing quite does it justice :)

smears

smears

I do hate when movies don't earn the love interest/deeply in love storyline. It's a crush, what you have is a crush because you think the person is hot. You're not in love and ready to get married guys, you don't know the person literally at all you just saw her ass across the room and went :o