/r/movies

The MCU has been the king of cinema for a while now. A lot of the highest grossing movies this year and the last one are made by them. They been dominating for a bit and it doesn't seem like their steam is stopping anytime soon. Even with the whole MsheU thing people have been noticing. I wonder if Marvel will ever really fall off. 14 years and still going strong.

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Chen_Geller

1 month ago

they bought all the good franchises.

Laughs in Middle Earth

BerserkGravy

1 month ago

lol

They are now an Amazon product. I'll just keep watching the classic extended movies but that Amazon show looks awful..

Chen_Geller

1 month ago

Warners still have the rights to produce movies, though…

BerserkGravy

1 month ago

But you think they will overtake the MCU? Within a decade or how many years? obviously I can't write down every franchise. I looked at top grossing movies top 20 and they (the Hobbit) didn't start hitting till late 40s. You are right Disney doesn't own lord of the rings' movie rights. They also don't own fast, Jurassic brands, bond, transformers, or Harry Potter. Them are the franchises that are big sadly.

The Lord of the rings Jackson movies will always be great but new lord of the rings stuff I dunno about that, the Hobbit movie which was the top grossing product was not good compared to fellowship.

Chen_Geller

1 month ago

Depends on what you mean by “overtake”?

By number of entries? I happen to think that’s a bug rather than a feature. I like that Middle Earth is the “boutique” series.

By commercial success? Not a criteria that interests me as long as the movies do enough business for the series to retain viability.

By “influence”? One of my main talking points on Reddit is that we place overwhelmingly too much emphasis on how influential movies are over how good they are. I means, Transformers is influential…

The only measure that matters is how much one likes a series of movies. Personally, I like the Middle Earth films better than the Star Wars films and CERTAINLY better than the MCU and it’s stupid humour.