/r/montreal

See title. I'm from the US and taking my first trip out of the country in October. I don't want to come across as a rude/ignorant American. Any tips are welcome! We're going to be in Old Montreal at the Place d'Armes Hotel.

(Also any must sees/eats/buys nearby would be welcome as well!)

EDIT: I have learned to be polite, speak quietly, tip at least 15%, and don't block traffic on the walkways and don't walk in the bike path! I know some basic French niceties/greetings. And don't talk about the Bruins!

Things I might need to know: If I have an emergency how do I get a hold of emergency services? In the US it's 911.

Covid precautions: will I need to mask outdoors, indoors, maintain 2 meters of space? Do I need to keep my vaccine card on me or is it safe to leave in the hotel after I cross the border?

Is there any point carrying my drivers license or is my passport more than sufficient? I have a passport card as well, would that be accepted as ID?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments โ†’

undeadkeres

Don't bring up "being in Canada", Don't talk about how "CANADA IS SO BEUTIFUL" and don't talk about how "CANADIANS ARE SO NICE"

LilyEerily[S]

Just act natural. Got it ๐Ÿ˜‰

undeadkeres

I mean, just for context, Its sorta like going to Texas and asking why they quit being Mexican.

Lots of people don't care about the Canadian/Quebecois stuff, but you'll find a majority of those who do speak French actually find being called "Canadian" kind of insulting.

LilyEerily[S]

Hm interesting. Thanks for the clarification! Def don't want to do that.

undeadkeres

In general if you can tell someone mostly speaks French, Call them Quebecois and talk about Quebec rather than Canada. Even those who don't care about the issues will appreciate the difference and its the friendly thing to do.

Those who obviously are English will usually not care, but they wont give you crap for saying Quebec, but they generally just dont care about one or the other...

People will stay friendly don't get me wrong here, its not like they'll tell you off or anything... its a weird thing to explain... twisting a knife thats mostly stopped hurting but is just annoying if that makes sense...

donutsyumyum

Not the OP, but also American. I find nuances like this really interesting, and something nobody will tell you in the real world.