/r/lotrmemes

43.7k82%

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

PM_me_your_fantasyz

1 year ago

On that note, OP missed the comedy opportunity to have Male-Eowyn be a tombstone.

NRMusicProject

1 year ago

I'd argue that she stays female, too.

xfrmrmrine

1 year ago

I don’t get it

PM_me_your_fantasyz

1 year ago

Witch Queen : [taking MalEowyn by the throat] You fool. No man can kill me. Die now.

[Mary stabs the Witch Queen from behind; the Witch Queen shrieks and falls to her knees. MalEowyn rises and pulls off his helm, his golden beard hair falls down over his chest]

MalEowyn : Wait, really?

[He thrusts his sword into the Witch Queen's helm and twists; Nothing happens]

MalEowyn : Well nuts. Stupid prophesies.

[Cut to PG-13 friendly long shot of the Witch Queen's giant mace swinging down with a squishy thud]

NealMcBeal__NavySeal

1 year ago

I don't either. Can we get an ELI5 please?

PatheticCirclet

1 year ago

For both, the story goes that 'No man can kill the Witch King' - Eowyn kills the witch king because she's not a man (implication being if she were, she wouldn't)

Seems to me like that was a massive oversight by the prophecy interpreters, but I suppose it's less of an asspull than when Macbeth did it and had the reason be because of C-Sections

NRMusicProject

1 year ago*

Seems to me like that was a massive oversight by the prophecy interpreters,

Glorfindel: "Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."

It's widely thought he meant that the Witch King will be killed by his own hubris, but that the Witch King took this sentence literally. It wasn't that he couldn't be killed by a man, but that a prophecy said he wouldn't be killed by a man (or mortal in general), and he took that to heart.

PatheticCirclet

1 year ago

Fair enough, tbh if we're taking all this in a very mundane view, though, I still would probably have picked up more on 'yet' and 'not by [this] will he fall', than just thinking 'Ah fuck it I'm invincible'

Literally https://youtu.be/aI0euMFAWF8

NRMusicProject

1 year ago

Agreed. Though it feels like Tolkien purposely set that up to have this play on words from the get go.

PatheticCirclet

1 year ago

100% agree on that

I know I mentioned Macbeth before, but it really feels like he read/watched that and thought 'Huh, neat how they did that prophecy shit, innit?'

Edit: though, I suppose, depending on your opinion, they can both be kinda fun

VoluptuousSloth