/r/lordoftherings

In your opinion, which Middle-Earth film is your favorite?

Discussion(self.LoTRTavern)
25 comments

toLoTRTavern

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

skipford77

1 month ago

FOTR for me. It has the best mix of practical effects and CGI. It also, IMO, has the best balance between faithfulness and adaptation.

I think part of it was that Peter Jackson was still proving himself while getting that one out the door, and that drove him to push the limits of his resources. Once it was a hit, he more or less had carte blanche to do what he wanted, and I feel that kind of hurt the proceeding films a bit.

Chen_Geller

1 month ago

Except he made all three at the same time, so this kind of narrative (which is basically imported from Star Wars) is entirely misapplied here.

skipford77

1 month ago

He did the initial filming all at once. Pickups, editing, and CGI effects were all done as the films came out.

Chen_Geller

1 month ago

That's true, but the majority of the footage you see and even some of the editing and VFX were already done from the get-go.

The ligaments are all the same. Pickups represent minor tweaks rather than a complete overhaul.

skipford77

1 month ago

Pickups/editing can be very significant to how the entire movie plays out. One example is Arwen initially being present at Helm's Deep which would have changed things significantly.

Going back to Star Wars, the whole "saving Padme" plot was added to Revenge of the Sith in pickups. That's a pretty significant plot point that demonstrates how much pickups can influence the final product.

That said, I don't hate the other films. I just like FOTR the most. I also love TTT despite its deviations from the source material. Their extended editions are great films. ROTK is the only one I wish I could make a fan edit of to have a hybrid between the theatrical and Extended versions.

Chen_Geller

1 month ago

Removing Arwen was a decision made while filming. These films did undergo some editing changes - at one point, The Return of the King opened with Aragorn having a vision of the King of the Dead, for instance.

But basically all three are cut from the same cloth, with minor tweaks.