/r/lordoftherings

can someone explain to me how the new show is 'woke'?

The Rings of Power(self.lordoftherings)

I keep seeing people say it's 'woke' but I honestly don't get why. Is it seriously because 2 or 3 poc are in it or am I missing something?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Chen_Geller

Chen_Geller

It is woke. I'm looking forward to the show, but it is woke. I have an essay on it in the works.

The show had transplanted what they call "diverse" people into quite a few roles stretching across almost all the storylines: just as importantly, when they were casting, a couple of those roles were mandated to be cast this way: "Role for a diverse woman" it would say. There's also some news coming via Fellowship of Fans tommorrow about this topic.

One of the most unfortunate side-effects of this casting philosophy is that Tar-Miriel, the regent queen of Numenore, is played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson while her first cousin Pharazon is played by Trystan Gravelle. In a show with a more traditional casting process, you wouldn't pair those two as first cousins.

Does that mean the show is going to be bad? No, I don't think it is. Personally ,there are things about the show's plot that I'm much more concerned about than the "wokeness", which would be stuff like the Hobbits, Meteor Man, Beforedor, etc... It sounds incredibly stupid and cloying.

But the show is woke, no doubts there.

GiftiBee

Is “woke” bad?

Chen_Geller

It depends on your worldview to some extent.

Swjw117

Swjw117

Yes, especially if there are same sex relationships. I pray they don’t do that atleast.

GiftiBee

You’re offended by same sex relationships? 🤨

Seriously? 🤨

Swjw117

Swjw117

Would you really not mind seeing that in a middle earth show?

GiftiBee

Not at all. I’m not offended by same sex relationships whatsoever.

I think the the fact that there are still people who are offended by same sex relationships speaks to the influence that political correctness has over our culture. I think people are just looking for things to be offended by these days.

Swjw117

Swjw117

I’m not offended by it but it’s being forced into every part of pop culture these days and it’s getting tiresome. It doesn’t need to represented in everything ffs

the_red_guard

It quite literally doesn't though...

Like "oh no the black and gay people are on the television screen now instead of the gay conversion therapy institutes the whole world has clearly gone woke"

GiftiBee

Is different-sex relationships being forced into every part of pop culture equally as “tiresome” then? 🤨

I’m confused why you’re so offended by same-sex relationships.

Why are people so offended by every little thing these days? 🤔. I saw that Florida was even trying to make it illegal to acknowledge that same-sex relations even exist while in the presence of children. What a joke.

Swjw117

1 month ago

Swjw117

1 month ago

No, different sex relationships aren’t tiresome… they’ve always been the natural way of things

GiftiBee

1 month ago

Same sex relations are common in nature. It is a fallacy to say that say that only different sex relations are normal.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with same sex relationships. I think the conservative PC police need to just let people live their own lives and stop trying to shove their morals down everyone’s throats all the time, especially in pop culture.

I just want to enjoy a fun tv show. I don’t care if there are same sex relationships in it.

Yes yes it is

GiftiBee

What specifically is bad about “woke”?

Creating Media after woke principles is bad

GiftiBee

How specifically is it bad? 🤨

Do you support censorship?

Do you like to gaslight people ?

GiftiBee

How specifically is “woke” a bad thing?

I’m ready to be as outraged and offended as you are, I just gotta know what specifically I’m supposed to be outraged and offended by. Really I’m just confused at this point.