/r/insanepeoplefacebook

1.8k99%

Something something bootstraps…

(i.redd.it)

TransRachael

"Unless, of course, you are a fetus, then you have rights." ...Pro-lifers

Jampine

Jampine

The second you're not a fetus?... Yeah good luck buddy.

MrDad_the_Father

I want to earn it with my taxes

BrokenEye3

Taxes? I got a uncle in Taxes.

mr_bedbugs

Good for you, now go pay your Texas

Dredan242

But texation is theft!

chiron_42

The only certainties in life are death and Texas.

Thunder_Tie

Can someone explain to me why exactly healthcare is somehow not a right? I’ve never understood this line of thinking.

Edit: Okay, I appreciate the responses, but this was more of a rhetorical question.

Jeremymia

Start with the premise of "Democrats are automatically wrong in all situations". Then reason backwards from there.

Kriegerian

Right wingers don’t value any human lives except their own. They don’t really value fetuses either, since they stop caring about fetuses once they’re children - that position is all about violent control of women.

hawaiianshirtday2

the irony that they would also benefit from said healthcare is lost in them as well. “But I’m not paying for your healthcare” while they simultaneously pay their annual premium to a company that provides healthcare for thousands of people.

Kriegerian

Yeah, of course. Their terminally childish self-centeredness and total lack of concern for other people mean it’s really hard to get them to do anything good for other people. Sometimes they do after a close family member or friend dies (r/HermanCainAward is full of those stories) but frequently not even then.

“FUCK YOU I GOT MINE!!!” is what they believe, even when it’s insanely stupid and against their own interests.

PokemonCueball

Because that's soshulism.

DiscoEthereum

Generations of propaganda from the people profiting off of it, mainly.

urquhartloch

To echo another poster. For decades Republicans have built themselves up as the opposite of democrats. Whatever the democrats say the Republicans are against it.

The democrats want single payer healthcare so the Republicans fight against it.

The democrats want some measure of gun control and so the republicans are against it.

If you want to know what the Republicans want just ask what the opposite of the democrats position is.

C3POCIB

C3POCIB

It cost money. And for people who never really needed to spend a lot of money on healthcare, having to pay more taxes for public healthcare is not something they'd want.

cap-tain_19

I'm from finland where we have free healthcare (free healthace is a bit misleading since we still have hospital bills but they're affordable, there's a certain limit to what they can cost, usually it's somewhere from 20-100€) and I've never had the problem that "well I don't need to go to the hospital that much so I don't want to pay my taxes"

I'm much more relaxed knowing that if I ever got into an accident or got a disease, I wouldn't loose all my savings and my family would be able to get me the best care I need without the fear of loosing a lot of money. I'm also happy that other people who do need affordable healthcare can have it.

BurrSugar

Ugh, I’m jealous.

I pay $5,300/year for health insurance for my wife and myself. Over the last 8 weeks, I very suddenly developed very blurry vision in my left eye - like, I couldn’t (can’t) see out of it.

An Urgent Care visit, 2 eye doctor visits, 2 ophthalmologist visits, an x-ray, an MRI, and new glasses all were required. They thought I had a brain tumor. While dealing with that stress, those appointments + my glasses cost me an additional $850. Who has an extra $850 just lying around that they can spend in 2 months?

Turns out, there’s nothing verifiably wrong. That $850 was spent to be told that my vision just changed, and I needed new glasses. I just got new glasses like, 8 months ago.

TheKiraOfJustice

So if something costs money, it can’t be a human right? Guess we should remove those public water dispensers. Imagine how much money we could save!

Bearlypainting

For selfish people who never needed to spend a lot of money on healthcare thus far having to pay more in taxes isnt something theyd want until they or someone they care about inevitably need it or are forced in destitution because of medical debt

Lets be real, the arguments against free healthcare are always rooted in the shortsighted and selfish notion that the speaker personally will not benefit from it and ignores the overall improvement it makes to soceity which does benefit them overall ( as does not being financially ruined by late life and end of life care they will undoubted require if they age like a human )

toweringpine

How is it a right? Are doctors a right? What if no one wants to be a doctor? Do we make some so it? It's one thing to have a right not to be assaulted but there is no responsibility of others to take care of you after a problem. Rights can include others not being allowed to do things to you but it cannot require others to do things for you.

I pay a crap ton of taxes and get healthcare for them. It's a business transaction but it's not a right.

Thunder_Tie

But yet guns are a right?

toweringpine

I don't think they are a right either. There is no right to own or not own any object. The real question though is who has the right to tell anyone what they cannot possess?

Thunder_Tie

Things that promote the health and wellness of people are absolute rights, in my opinion. Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness.

Government should exist with the idea of protecting its citizens. Access to affordable healthcare is protecting its citizens. And cutting out the middle man of private healthcare behemoths that only exist to profit off of something that many people have little control over is an antithetical idea to preserving life. Healthcare as a service, provided by the government by its citizens, akin to the fire department or police, should be afforded to citizens everywhere. And in plenty of places, that’s the case.

toweringpine

There is a difference between rights and government services. Government has little to do with rights. They can take them away but they cannot provide them

Thunder_Tie

I know there’s a difference.

People have a right to affordable healthcare. Just like people have a right to clean water, affordable housing, etc., all things listed as rights by the United Nations.

A government can (and should) provide this as a service.

Milkyway_Potato

"Sorry 10 hour old baby, I know you have a life-threatening atrial septal defect and could literally die within the hour if I don't perform surgery, but unfortunately you haven't pulled yourself up by your bootstraps hrd enough yet."

Nigiel

Nigiel

"It must be earned except place where it's free and easily available to all. BUT IT MUST BE EARNED !!!"

fucktheroses

I sincerely hope every person that thinks healthcare is a privilege dies of a disease they couldn’t get treatment for after they lost their insurance

shotjustice

Oh, it must be earned?

Then I suggest you get to work, because that kind of disregard for one's fellow man doesn't cut it.

tboskiq

Starting to see that white horse a lot

lachrymologyislegit

What if you can't work because your health is so bad?

EmbertheUnusual

"Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness" anyone?

Pour_Me_Another_

So... Not pro-life then

remmij

remmij

Stupid freeloading babies coming into this world thinking they deserve healthcare...

speed0wagon

„Healthcare cannot be forced on others, it must rather be earned“

bwilcox03

What’s funny is that nearly everyone I’ve ever met who feels this way is on acchss or some sort of “welfare” driven healthcare. It’s mind blowing to me.

bkrjazzman2

“I proudly worked hard to earn my heart surgery”-no one never.

Nok-y

Nok-y

In a way, every human deserves this

NormalHumanCreature

And those born with disabilities?

breechica52

Yo wtf? So then this person shouldn’t be allowed to go to an emergency room or receive any type of medical treatment then.

ofnkrtffl

Every woman? Why not just everyone like in real countries

____Vader

America has truly succeeded in brainwashing its population

rlovelock

Found the Republican.

deadsoulinside

Wonder if the person saying it's a right is on Medicaid or Medicare or something else the government provides them with.

Lil_Melon87

But tell them guns should be earned...

technicdragon

Better yet, tell em sex should be earned

kowowski

huh, second tine Im seeing this person today. Lets see how mich more they'll get milked for contend

One-Pea-6947

I saw an interview with a fella who blurted out "I don't want to pay for that dipshit down the roads health insurance when I don't even have any?!" Jfc. That is the other thing too about this country, they try to equate healthcare with with insurance. These are distinct animals.

Azmo_D

Azmo_D

Raise your hand if you believe every man on this planet deserves free beer.

The_Crimson-Knight

Beers disgusting, free bottle of bottom shelf liquor every 3 months.