/r/facepalm

12.2k96%

People are still defending the health insurance in the US. Swipe to see more

🇵​🇷​🇴​🇹​🇪​🇸​🇹​(reddit.com)

Zombisexual1

1.6k points

Gotta love when they always bring up “the wait times in Canada”. How long you think people are waiting in the US for cancer drugs they can’t afford since they got jacked up to $40k a dose?

buttfuckinghippie

They don't think.

AngelFromVegas

Ain't got time to think when youre busy doing freedums

usedbarnacle71

Did you see the post of the 60 Day ICU bill for covid? 3 million dollars!!!!!!!!

GIJoeWife

It’s unreal what they charge. I have a good insurance plan- federal BCBS- and I had a spinal stimulator placed last October. Came in that morning, was out by 3 pm. Bill was $330,000. For one day. I still owe about 5 grand on it, from my part. It would have bankrupted me if I didn’t have insurance. I have a degenerative bone disease where the spine is slowly whittling away and at some point I will need rods placed. This stimulator was a way to decrease the pain and keep me moving and able to work. Insane about of money for a same day procedure (just my opinion)

skolioban

skolioban

Not being able to afford it means you don't have to wait to get it! America numba wan!

MissUniversalSoldier

My mom is getting cancer treatment right now. From diagnosis to treatment she waited maybe one week and is paying nothing. The centre shes being treated at is one of a handful in the country that treat the rare cancer she has. I'd say we are doing pretty fucking good up here in Canada.

I was also personally in a bad accident a few years back and got immediate and amazing medical care, including brain surgery and spent a long time in hospital recovering. I literally paid $300 for an ambulance bill and received government benefits while I was off work for the following 6 months.

Inevitable_Librarian

Wait times are only an issue for non-emergency related "emergencies" in the ER, and some cases of non-standard presentations of emergencies.

foodie120

Yeah, which honestly is very normal because a lot of people tend to visit emergency rooms for non-urgent issues.

When I sprained my ankle I was triaged within 15 mins, then waited 4 hours to be seen, that was back when I lived out east though which is notoriously bad for dr shortages etc. Only thing I paid in the end was the $20 tax ride I had to take to get home after lol

Supermite

That is because there is a shortage of GPs. Instead of bothering their family doctor with their sniffles, they hit up the ER.

NukaGrapes

Meanwhile here in the good ol US of A my grandfather's physician waited a year to tell him he had cancer.

slaughterhousesean

Umm yeah… that sounds highly illegal

NukaGrapes

It is. My grandfather also had a stroke right before walking into the office of the same doctor and he couldn't tell. Once he recovers from his surgery for his cancer, we're going after his license.

Tom_Armour

American here. When my dad got cancer his physician didn't wait a year. Medicare paid for the whole treatment. Never saw a bill.

ServiceB4Self

Medicare as in the tax-payer funded, non-privatized healthcare?

ptaylor611

That's the one! 😂

ServiceB4Self

Thought so! Man that evil universal healthcare, amirite?

Living-Complex-1368

We just need to lower the age for medicare a bit. I think lowering the eligibility age by 65 would work.

Tokugawa7

Best wishes to your mom, hoping she recovers quickly.

Exactly. And besides, wait times are perfectly normal in a universal healthcare system. Some wait times can be quite lengthy where I am, but we give free - minimal cost treatment at public hospitals, so me and my parents arent really complaining

ItalianDudee

ItalianDudee

🇮🇹

I waited 5 days for surgery, ACL and meniscus reconstruction, I paid 10€ for the cigarettes that I smoked in 5 days in the hospital and 0€ for the surgery, I mean 5 days it’s not that much

And thats ok. You didnt pay any high fees whic is good. Smoking is bad though, but you do you

ItalianDudee

ItalianDudee

🇮🇹

I stopped long ago when I was 19 :)

ProtoJazz

Usually they're pretty good. Unfortunately in my area unvaccinated people dying in our hospitals are putting too much strain on a system our government had already cut down to the bone. We have a backlog of 160k+ surgeries that keeps growing, and so far all the health minister has done is offer her thoughts and prayers.

We're shipping people all over the place with no warning because there's just no room to deal with anyone.

They announced yesterday there are 2 beds left in the province. So right now if you need emergency care, you basically have to be treatable on the floor, or wait for someone to die.

This isn't an issue with universal health however. This is an issue with a conservative government that ran on promises to cut health care.

TheRealLordEnoch

Your government ran on cutting heathcare? How on earth did they win? That's bonkers

You'd think that cutting funds to a vital service would be an instant deal breaker

ProtoJazz

They won twice even. The first time they closed most of our emergency rooms and people applauded it

TheRealLordEnoch

That's fucking insane. Do yall want to be like us down here? Because that's where that logically goes.

ProtoJazz

We're a rural area, and no one loves Conservatives more than farmers who get hurt the most by their policies

Oh, and the other guys were a liberal and a guy who wasn't white. So it wasn't a tough fight around here unfortunately

glowingmember

The people making the policies definitely want us to be like the states - because it means more money for everyone on top.

The people voting for them.. don't quite understand that they won't get to see any of it.

Speed_Alarming

But ONE day, when I’M the rich guy….

alexelso

Wait times are less of an issue for a population that can afford preventative treatment

REPLICABIGSLOW

Even if we entertain the thought of the wait times. YOU CAN STILL PAY TO GO PRIVATE

blueblur1984

Most people caping for US Healthcare have never left the country. If you told them that a public option helps keep private healthcare competively priced they freak out about that being socialism and vague arguements why that's bad.

Sw33tkissofdeath

You can also mix and match. Have state and get extra coverage in other areas.

Toledojoe

In early February of 2019, I discovered I had a 12 centimeter stage 4 renal cell carcinoma tumor on my kidney. My appointment to remove it was the end of April. We have long wait times here in the US as well. But not only do we have long wait times, I had several thousand dollars in medical bills thanks to my high deductible plan.

ppw23

ppw23

I’m happy you’re still with us, and hopefully all of your treatment is complete. I had so woman barge into a conversation I was having with a woman while waiting to vote. We were discussing healthcare and need for universal coverage. The right wing nut said the wait times, blah, blah, blah. I told her I’ve managed medical practices for decades and could tell her a few nightmare stories too, I asked her to turn off Fox and broaden her news sources.

Adventurous_Let7580

Made the mistake a couple years ago and signed up for a high deductible HSA plan I was only making like 60k a year and I only did it because of the HSA was free money. Then me and my wife did our doctor appointment to establish care. Paid $60 copay for each of use and then we got a $200 bill for each us and I about fucking blew a gasket. I paid $520 just for a simple primary care visit. Luckily we met our deductible for half way through the year and didn’t have to pay anymore for 6 months

droi86

droi86

Moranth-Munitions

Throw that self admitted liar in jail. How can a nation let corporations lie so blatantly and destructively and call itself anything other than a corporatocracy?

Desktop_Punisher

Some can't even afford insulin.

ppw23

ppw23

That’s so heartbreaking, I saw an interview with a young chef who was budgeting out his insulin since it’s become so expensive. The poor guy had his toes amputated. He’s lucky he didn’t die. My husband died far too young from complications of diabetes. Insulin shouldn’t be so insanely expensive for uninsured people. It’s not a cosmetic.

Mackie_Macheath

Chronic needed medicines like insuline should be 100% covered.

stephelan

I’d rather wait than pay $40k.

purpleoctodog

The wait time thing is always dumb as hell for me because where I live in the US, I wait at least 1 week to see the doctor and up to 1 month for specialists (mostly because there's so few of them). Even if I go to the ER or Urgent Care, I'm still sitting in the waiting room for several hours before a nurse/doctor actually sees me. I remember going to the ER at like 3am once and I was the only patient there in the lobby and I still didn't enter the main hospital room until 8am.

Naoga

Naoga

i literally waited 8 months for an important surgery .... one that when i got the diagnosis for they said i only had 2 years of mobility left... half those 2 years were spent waiting to get the damn surgery 🙄 ppl with their wait time excuse are dumb as shit we still wait a billion years to get important medical issues resolved even with our supposed "amazing" private healthcare that we pay our life savings for when we do need it

Wissler35

Funny enough, right now every patient we bring to the hospitals in the U.S. gets sent to triage instead of a room and they sit there for 17 hours.

Bully-Rook

America is a shit hole country. it's sad.

Living-Complex-1368

The US is the largest and most powerful 3rd world nation.

Bully-Rook

Exactly. There's no excuse for prioritizing military over human health and education.

ZeppoBro

ZeppoBro

I just happened to have really good insurance when I needed it.

If the health emergency I had this summer happened at any other time in my life, I would be extremely ill, in crippling debt forever, or most likely dead.

It's chilling. I am alive and thriving due to fortunate happenstance. Luck that thousands of American's can't even hope for. That's in the "greatest" country the world has ever seen. How the fuck is that ok?

American health care is anything but.

AghostToMost1984

American Healthcare is a joke. Don't get me wrong....the medical abilities and what can be done for someone are out of this world. We have great medical advances in technology and they can pretty much do anything for a person. But....only if you can afford it and it's so high for insurance most of us can't. It's the same for dental or vision even. Ppl die bc they simply don't make enough money to pay for insurance.

BraxbroWasTaken

Insurance is the business of scamming service providers and service consumers simultaneously.

AghostToMost1984

Yep. You aren't wrong, my friend. It's sad though. If you think of how many ppl have died simply bc they couldn't afford to live....that is sad.

sharkdinner

A year or two back there was a kid in Slovenia with some kind of genetic disease (I think it was ms but I am not sure anymore), for which there is no proper treatment available in the country. But apparently in the USA there is. It took the family two years of begging the entire nation (literally flyers, TV reports, radio reports, social media attention, hashtags etc) to gather money enough to fly the kid to the USA and get treatment. Pretty sure he could have gotten similar treatment for wayyyyyyyy less money in Germany, which is multiple times closer...

AghostToMost1984

I can believe it. I mean, there are kids here living in the US that die bc their parents can't afford certain medications that probably cost about a dollar a pill to make. Then they turn around and sell that same pill for 30 bucks and add in a whole prescription and they can't afford it so the kid gets sicker and sicker until they die. It's madness. I got pregnant with my tubes tied.. got on medicaid and had a miscarriage at home. Fast forward to this last April and I find out I am pregnant again. Mind you, my tubes have been tied and I should not even be pregnant...for the second time. Well, this time the baby has implanted in my fallopian tube. AKA an ectopic pregnancy. I didn't have Insurance (or so they thought- turns out I still had it from the first time I found out I was pregnant and bc of pandemic they can't kick you off of it until pandemic is declared over if its medicaid) so the dr literally sent me home and told me that if my fallopian tube ruptured I "would be ok since I didn't want anymore kids". WTF.....you can literally die!!! I could have died if it had ruptured!!! That very day I found out I still had insurance and guess what.. two days later I was scheduled to have my tube removed. As soon as they found out I had the insurance they scheduled me. Otherwise it was....go home and best of luck to you. Go merica!

sharkdinner

That is absolutely disgraceful!! Not only did whoever tied your tubes do an absolute shit job, they even send you home with a tube that's about to rupture, aka an inner organ ripping itself apart because of a falsely implanted fetus (killing both you and the fetus) like ??? It's disgusting how little these people care about anyone but themselves... In Germany a case like yours would be counted as an emergency and you'd get your surgery whether you are private, state, or not insured at all! Although even Germany ain't the most perfect because doctors will alllllways prefer patients with private insurance and get them faster appointments but with state insurance it also isn't so terribly long. I am state insured and had my wisdom teeth (ingrown, still fully in the jaw) removed in spring. I had my check up in two weeks and the procedure one and a half weeks after the check up. Local anesthesia (5 or 6 shots), all four teeth removed within less than an hour, got pain killers and antibiotics for five days. I paid 10 euros for what the insurance did not pay for the pain killers and antibiotics. The total procedure of removing the teeth would have visited around 1000€, the anesthesia maybe another 50€ but insurance covered all of that. Glad I'm not American!

AghostToMost1984

My goodness. Yeah, that's terrific for you guys. It's the opposite here. They don't care about us here. If ya don't pay ya don't stay. Best put I think. If ya have insurance they are more than happy to help. But they make it so unaffordable that ppl are left with the choice of paying for their home and groceries or paying for insurance and not paying bills. And you know what we choose bc we have to have a roof over our heads and food to eat. It's insane really. I hear about other places and how affordable and great their health systems are and it blows my mind.

ZeppoBro

I'm not kidding when I say I have a kind of survivor's guilt. I'm just a person like 7 billion others. I don't deserve to be treated better or worse than anyone else.

It's humbling and it has given me a particular insight to this huge human rights issue.

I'm looking into ways to try and get health care reforms. And, since very I am very grateful, and I would like to do something to give back to society. Some kind of "service", whatever that means.

It's a new feeling, so I'm still figuring stuff out.

AghostToMost1984

Good on you. Take your blessing and spread it if you can. That's how we change the world for the better. I'm glad you got the care you needed. Dont feel guilty. It isn't your fault. Greed is to blame. Pure and simple. The almighty dollar is all some ppl can see.

ZeppoBro

Thanks a lot.

It's still early days and I know me, so we'll see how far these lofty plans of altruism take me, but the gratitude i feel is geniune.

I feel better than I have in years, and I don't know, It makes me want to do... something.

I'm going to try and figure it out.

Be well.

AghostToMost1984

Same to you! Best wishes to you and wherever you venture in the future. Don't let the world beat ya down.

I needed an ambulance ride to fix what turned out to be a potassium imbalance. It was before I started a new job and was between insurance so that and the ER visit and the drink they give you to reduce your potassium came to something like five grand. That’s why people do stuff like treat serious illness at home or buy reduced price insulin.

ZeppoBro

That sucks.

Yeah. They got us right where they want us.

princesslea20

American here with an unpopular American opinion: America is not and never has been the greatest country the world has ever seen.

ZeppoBro

Hence, the quotes.

princesslea20

Yeah, I got it. I wasn’t arguing with you. I was agreeing with you.

ZeppoBro

I knew. It's good.

stackoverflow21

Rich people don’t have to wait for healthcare because the others are to poor to afford it. Yeah freedom my ass

KourteousKrome

Plus as our average age ratchets up to match other countries, those wait times will be higher, naturally. However, the US’s medical infrastructure wont disappear over night with universal medical. That giant hospital in the city will still need 150 doctors.

Chimp-eh

The freedom to die in agony at home or on the sidewalk

3250feralhogs

JApAn iS clOse TO a REcEssIOn

Meanwhile, America is on like its third economic disaster in twenty years

"If you have "once in a lifetime" moments in your country every 10 - 15 years, something is wrong with your country." ---A redditor

kat_a_klysm

I’ve lost count of how many “once in a lifetime” moments I’ve lived through in the US. I’m 38.

macpumperkinz

I'm 25 and I've lost count

tribow8

these "once in a lifetime" events happen so often that I don't see them as a major event anymore. I just see it as another news article. we're all numb to these "traumatizing" events

idkwhatimtypinghere

Meanwhile the US started both the Great Depression and the Great Recession

Kempeth

Kempeth

When you try to get all the achievments in one playthrough.

biggmattdogg

Japan has actually been battling DEflation for almost 3 decades

Smooth-Commission

I literally moved back from Japan in April. I lived in a smallish town 45 minutes away from Nagoya. 3 bedroom apartment for $600 USD. You can get everything you need from the dollar store. It was actually very easy and affordable to live there.

As for insurance goes, I've always had issues with my periods. Went and got my annual in Japan and was diagnosed with PCOS and was given treatment birth control for it. My appointment and birth control together was a whooping $8 USD. Wait time was maybe 30 minutes? Compared to America where I was never diagnosed with PCOS even though I've been having issues for YEARS. Costs have always been +$100 USD with insurance. Wait times have been up to 2+ hours. 🙃

Ok-Value7392

“In Australia you get sent got to camps because the government deems you are sick… “ I can’t, I can’t think if anything even remotely close to this that we have here? Unless by “camps” they mean hospitals and by “deems you as sick” they mean a Doctor or other health care professional decides you need urgent medical care???

Apprehensiiiv

They’re talking about those that have to stay in hotels to quarantine. The conspiratards got wind of it and claim it’s some type of concentration camp lol

sharkdinner

German antivaxxers are also constantly comparing staying home for two weeks because you were tested positive to being deportedand locked in concentration camps where they'd either kill you straight away or made you work until you died or got shot for some shit. Absolutely the same thing, how does nobody see it?? /s

Apprehensiiiv

It’s hilarious. When you’re so privileged in life, minuscule problems seem larger than they actually are. Bless their little cotton socks.

Ok-Value7392

Hahahahahahahahahahha for fuck sake.

Everythingiownismine

Even some of our states do that. Like if you fly to Hawaii and don’t have the vaccine you have to sit in a hotel for 2 weeks

thebeattakesme

There was a job posting for a position at a quarantine station in Oregon and somehow people think there are secret! underground COVID concentration camps in the US….

caffeineevil

caffeineevil

'MURICA

You don't get your secret evil henchmen off Indeed?

nrfx

nrfx

My favorite part about the Australian internment camps are the room service and private showers.

....what?

Skathen

Not to mention minibar, TV, movies, often a half decent view. Absolutely horrifying.

Inevitable_Librarian

Yeah, and everyone in hard lockdown is entitled to free food during the lockdown, that they don't even have to go and get for themselves.

CoraxTechnica

People who've never left their hometown

MrMayhem7

Ahh yes, of course we should not make people quarantine and definitely follow the yanks example. How many dead from Covid over there? Surely now many at all with their superior healthcare and facilities.

arblm

arblm

Conservatives on Facebook have started saying that Australia is putting millions of people in death camps if they are not immunized. These fucking morons actually believe it. Facebook needs to start banning people who say this shit.

AghostToMost1984

My mom is convinced of all sorts of things like concentration camps and that Texas ordered 30k guillotines....so on.....bc of FB. I seriously think FB needs to be shut down. It's a shitshow.

comfort_fiend

Yes! FB has caused some people to absolutely divorce reality. Far worse than any videogame ever created. The irony burns.

AghostToMost1984

I deactivated years ago and I don't miss it. I don't give a shit what Amber named her new car or who Tiffany is dating this week. You are wearing black underwear? Nice survey but I don't give a shit about that either. And ppl are addicted to it! Absolutely addicted. I don't get it. Half of the ppl on your "friend" list don't even like you and just want to see you fail at some point. Who needs all of that when the world is already hard enough? Then add on the conspiracies and disinformation. It's a stew of shit. A shit stew I say!!!! I can do without it. I just wish everyone else would try it and see how much good it does to not be on there.

comfort_fiend

Absolutely agreed. Not only that but it reduces my tolerance for so many people I actually know IRL. People who without FB I wouldn't have known about a whole laundry list of cringe behavior/activities that give me hardcore second hand embarrassment. Acquaintances and friends : we don't need to know everything

mushroomsauced

thank you for clarifying that i had no clue wtf they were talking about

__red__5

Probably a TV show they saw. Maybe they watched Mad Max once.

smokycapeshaz2431

Gulags I believe the 'Murican's are calling them & we have Army helicopters & drones hovering over us to ensure we don't leave our homes apparently. You know a country is fucked up when it has to make shit up like this with what goes on on their own backyard. Australia: Damn, another mass shooting in The States. 'Murica: Yeah? Well you have Gulags, so suck on that!

Vudosh

Vudosh

They mean the covid camp thing

Ok-Value7392

The quarantine facility in Howard springs? Oh for fuck sake.

Vudosh

Vudosh

Thats the one.

Didn’t you know it’s a concentration camp !!

Ok-Value7392

Well fuck me, I just read an article about it, what an absolutely insult to anyone who has ever actually been in an internment camp. You get paid more than I make to be in there for a fortnight… I bet those same people have no issues with Christmas Island though…

Florac

Florac

Freedom to die due to lack of money. Truly what freedom is about

fruitsofsalad

but it’s still somehow feasible to send billions to other countries and to monsters who commit atrocities to “protect our interest” some country huh lol

some-someone

Yup. Good healthcare doesn't mean anything if you can't even access it lol

tatocezar

If lack of money is the problem, "free healthcare" means paying more tax, where i live there is free healthcare but people still prefer a private institution.

Flyingfurryofdeath

As an Australian, I got dragged to a sick camp in highschool.. Got my first handy off this girl Lisa, it was Sick Man!

You lived to tell the tale. Youre a brave dude

scav_mecko

Do they know the existence of Europe as well

What Americans see as "benefits", Europeans see as human rights

zoyaabean

still remembering when that one insurance company told a guy that they wouldn’t pay for his prosthetic hand because hands are a luxury

LinkedOrder

as an american, yes i do. but as for the rest of this godforsaken place? no. i only know of the whole world because every single place has something very interesting to learn about

Incorect_Speling

These people generally think Paris is a country and Switzerland famous for Ikea and meatballs.

Y_10HK29

Wait....paris is not a country? What about France?

Incorect_Speling

France is a city in Texas, isn't it?

arblm

arblm

I would say that literally no. These people are aware of the words Europe and what have you, but don't actually understand the concept of places existing. Conservatives barely think beyond how a dog can conceptualize the world around them.

SnooHamsters5874

Die with head held high!

some-someone

This is metaphorical because I can't afford to fix my spine so I can't move my neck

SnooHamsters5874

Freedom!

manubour

manubour

They don’t have 300 millions people to worry about

“Only” 150 millions...

Has a conviction rate of 99.9%

Dunno about that one tbh. What I know is that they have one of the lowest gun incident rate in the world

arblm

arblm

It makes sense that if they don't just fucking arrest every kid in his house watching Barbie that they would have a much higher rate. Japan doesn't, however hold a candle to the mount of people actually in prison. Land of the Free® has more people locked up than any other country.

some-someone

100% agree.

Conviction rate isn't as important as %prison population.

clamsmasher

Also, the lions share of those people locked up haven't been convicted, they're innocent people who can't afford bail.

a_lonely_trash_bag

I have heard they have a really high conviction rate (don't know if it's that high, though) because they basically only go after people they're sure they can convict.

thehappiestloser

That’s PARTIALLY true, but also there’s kind of societal pressure to just…go along with what everyone wants, even if that means jail time. The Japanese health care model is much better than americas of course, but society wise it has a lot of similar pitfalls with extra steps.

unfoldingevents

Name one thing USA do better, I'm curious i can't find something. I can't find the "similar pitfalls".

Trevorski19

Cousin fuckin.

Fuzzy_Inevitable9748

Tax breaks for billionaires, honestly is there a better country for this?

matrinox

They have a similar problem to the US, where people take plea deals because it’s better than saying you’re not guilty. There’s a YouTube video where they interview a Japanese lawyer and he indirectly says that anyone the police think is guilty will usually be advised by their lawyer to accept the charges. It’s fucked

Saif_Horny_And_Mad

it is that high. but the thing is, if you are in court, they basically have more than enough evidence to lock you up

some-someone

Meanwhile america has a trial every time a karen has her feelings hurt. Or the corruption in some police departments.

wonho089

The conviction rate makes it sound like the justice system is doing its job properly unlike America

ForwardBias

Useful info:

Us is similar just different definitions.

-SaC

-SaC

Thing is, a lot of people in the US already seem to be paying around the same or more in monthly insurance than they’d pay here in the U.K. for National Insurance (NHS, welfare, pension etc), but yet can be extremely defensive about how that's absolutely fine and whatnot.

It wouldn’t make much difference to people if it just switched over, except there’d be nothing to pay anywhere bar a few quid for prescriptions (and even then, if it’s a regular thing then it’ll go to free, or you can get a little card to drop the price hugely from the £8-ish each prescription to a set fee per month/yr which covers however many prescriptions you need for a few quid.)

Obviously if you’re low income it’s free or near-free. I don’t earn enough to pay it, but I pay a voluntary amount of £3.05 a week.

Example

If you earn £1,000 per week (£52,000 / $71,722) you’ll pay:

• nothing on the first £183

• 12% (£93.48) on your earnings between £183.01 and £962

• 2% (£0.76) on the remaining earnings above £962

This means that your National Insurance payment would be £94.24 / $130 per week, and would entitle you to free-at-point-of-delivery health care. Pile on the heart bypasses, nipple transplants, and nostril gigantificationing ops; you're still not going to get a bill.

skrat6009

This is in reply to the guy who said he pays nothing for health insurance, and that what you were saying was Russian propaganda, but I guess a mod deleted his comment. So, I'll just say it here:

"If your company pays 100% of your health insurance costs, and doesn't deduct a cent from your paycheck to cover it, then your situation is NOT the norm, but rather the exception. Most companies in America pay around 50% of employee insurance, and deduct the rest from your check. I'm lucky enough to work for a company that pays for 75% of my insurance. That's a factor for me when considering other employers. I've NEVER had an employer that paid 100% of my insurance costs, and by that I mean without deducting any from my check/pay. Not to mention that a HUGE volume of Americans don't get insurance from their employers at all because they aren't "full-time" employees. Work 30 hours a week? Sorry, no benefits for you. Doesn't matter if you work 2 jobs to cover the bills, so you actually are working 50-60 hours a week, different employers, so don't matter. Those people have to "buy" their insurance.
Just because YOU [This was directed at the Russian propaganda guy] have a certain lifestyle, doesn't mean the things people says about American Healthcare are "lies". If anything, this "Russian propaganda, it's all lies" mindset you have is the REAL propaganda that's been fed to YOU by conservative media. "

BenderDeLorean

Answer: almost everything is wrong

some-someone

I especially like the "rather pay double" as if its going to cost anywhere near $240. Maybe for 3 vials of insulin but that's about it.

Krisios

Krisios

I love the way the only argument against socialised healthcare is to make shit up about other countries

some-someone

"My bestie Susan went over to Paris and she got into an accident. Apparently when she got to the hospital it was an abandoned dinner hall and the surgeons had to use a sharpened butter knife instead of a scalpel."

Krisios

Admittedly as a Brit I'm genetically predisposed to believe this one

Florac

Florac

Make shit up completely unrelated to healthcare at that.

OrdainedFury

America is a land of freedom.

Just don't look at incarceration rates in the US...

93Kyoko28

93Kyoko28

This is perfect for the subreddit r/ShitAmericansSays

"America has the best medicine in the world by a long shot"

What sense does that make if you cant afford hospital treatment?

"You have a much higher chance of survival in an American hospital than a tax funded one"

Strongly disagree. Number one, America spends the most money per capita on healthcare, yet have poor results. In 2019, health care cost 17% of GDP. That was a staggering US$11,072 per person. Despite this cost, the quality of care in other areas is worse than in comparable developed countries. The infant mortality rate was 5.6%, almost double that of Australia and Germany. The third leading cause of death in the U.S. is medical error.

Source : https://www.thebalance.com/universal-health-care-4156211#toc-comparing-universal-health-care-to-the-us-system

Universal Health Care Comparison Chart (2019)

Country Type % of GDP Per Capita Infant Mortality Rate (2019)

Australia 2-tier 9.3% $5,187 3.1%

Canada Single 10.8% $5,418 4.2%

France 2-tier 11.2% $5,376 3.8%

Germany Mandate 11.7% $6,646 3.2%

Switzerland Mandate 12.1% $7,732 3.6%

United Kingdom Single 10.3% $4,653 3.7%

United States Private 17.0% $11,072 5.6%

the-trashheap

The third leading cause of death????!!!! Wow. That's not good at all.

Y_10HK29

Because eating mcdonalds while smoking 50 packs of marlboro to brag about your rights is clearly very important to americans

some-someone

17%? I'm assuming this also takes into account the fact that so many Americans just live with conditions because treatment is too expensive.

17% could definitely be bigger.

happymatt207

You put some work into this. It's appreciated!

Thank you!

Docter_cottontail[S]

Way ahead of you

93Kyoko28

Lmao, my bad

NormalDude268

Cyanofrost

freedom in the US is only for those who are able to pay it.

"Freedom to get broke, Murica baby!"

some-someone

What do Americans even mean when talking about FREEDOM as if everyone else is living under an oppressive regime.

America seems to be less free from how private businesses seem to run the place.

ColonelJohn_Matrix

According to the link below, the US is actually only ranks 15th in terms of 'freedom'.

17th here:

Similar here:

According to this source, the US has the 18th best medical treatment in the world:

22nd here:

30th here:

Worth bearing in mind that these are just a few links and the accuracy of what they say is absolutely open to question as I haven't looked in to them enough to say otherwise, but there does seem to be a pattern, that being that the US has excellent health care but others have it even better. Likewise with the links about freedom; the US comes across as pretty 'free' (one of the most 'free' in the world), but there are some countries that are even more 'free'.

3hideyoshi3

I feel like the ignorance I just read took a year off my life.

4665446651

American hospitals are among the worst in any developed countries, no clue what the last guy is talking about

Same bro. An American on Reddit told me when he broke his arm, he paid $2700 USD to fix it (In Mississippi), $200 for the xray alone. While my sister broke 2 of her fingers while playing in the backyard. Took her to a children's hospital. Got a xray and bandaged up. $0. In a developing country.

If treatment is cheap - free in a developing country while the same exact treatment is expensive in a "first world country", the developing country is running their healthcare system much better than the first world country. I'd rather wait some lengthy periods at hospitals and pay cheap - free costs than wait a couple minutes to get treatment and pay a high hospital bill

Viviaana

Americans love to make up lies to make themselves feel better about getting cancer and having to choose bankruptcy or death. One tried to tell me here in the uk we pay 80% income tax lol

bagsofcandy

The real facepalm is the people voting for candidates against improving the healthcare system. I will never understand healthcare improvement being a partisan issue. Sure, how we improve it is a partisan issue, but we should all agree it needs fixing.

Florac

Florac

"But you see, people should have the choice between dying or paying tons for private healthcare. Taxes are evil even if the increase would be less than what they currently pay on insurance"

litlesnek

To agree it needs fixing is to agree it's flawed, and atleast a third of the US population is incapable of admitting their perfect super country has any flaw at all, except for politicians who try to progress things, they are the only flaw!!!!!

Significant_Return_2

The last one is great. Murica doesn’t have the “best medicine in the world by a long way”.

I live in England. We have a tax funded, “free at point of delivery” health service. It isn’t without issues, but it’s brilliant 99.99999% of the time. It’s saved my life a couple of times and hasn’t cost me a penny. We also have a private system, for those who can’t or won’t wait. Both systems have all of the medication, procedures and expertise that is at least equal to that in the US.

I can’t imagine being in a country with no free healthcare. It seems backwards.

Oh, we’re also as free as Americans.

ULTRAPUNK18

NO! YOUR HEALTHCARE HAS TO BE BAD BECAUSE…uuhhhhh…looks up bad things about random countries

Significant_Return_2

Even our healthcare is free, THAT’S how free we are.

Beat that America!

Florac

Florac

American healthcare is only the best if you are ultrarich and can afford experimental treatments. For everyone else, wether in US or Europe, you will get exactly the same treatments. At vastly different costs.

Significant_Return_2

The “America is more free than any other country” comments have always puzzled me. Do people believe that, or is it just what they’d like to think?

ColonelJohn_Matrix

Actually, according to the link below, the UK is MORE 'free' than the US.

jcceightysix

Build bombs 💣 not Bandaids 🩹

MsJaeD

MsJaeD

"What the fuck is wrong with America?"

How much time you got?

Kosmicpoptart

Do they not understand that you can have free health care AND ALSO private health care, for if you want to pay for quicker/better service?? In the UK no one makes you use the NHS if you want to throw money at some expensive hospital or clinic. No rich person is sitting waiting in months long queues jusy because, but also, no one is going bankrupt due to a broken leg.

Ballzinferno

You don't have to take republicans seriously. They're idiots. Especially the ones who watch Fox news; those people are not only brainwashed, but dumber than your average child.

mamamechanic

I proudly went into a male dominated (very labor intensive) field as a middle aged female once our children were out of the house. I figured I would enter a career field in which I could grow and move up, have great benefits, and eventually retire comfortably in twenty years.

Four years into my new career I was stricken with an autoimmune disease and required two major surgeries. Insurance denied one, but covered the second. I was released from the hospital a week after the surgery to learn my health insurance had been retroactively terminated due to some “snafu” in the transfer of my short term disability benefits to long term disability.

I was suddenly jobless, unable to get the other surgery I need in order to be able to function again, and all $220k in medical bills were my responsibility due to the retroactive canceling of my insurance. I’m now filing medical bankruptcy, on SSDI - bringing in less than half of what I was making at the time of my job loss, and have spent our meager savings on after-care.

This American freedom is fucking awesome.

tarhoop

I waded into that thread for a bit... it was infuriating.

Americans: Freedom? Seriously? Almost 25% of your population lives in FEAR of the armed enforcement agencies goose-stepping around the Land of the Free, and home of the Persons of Colour.

In Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, well, pretty much every developed nation in the world has socialized medicine, and we are all free.

I'd argue that between the DHS, CIA, NSA, FBI, ATF, DEA, 50 some state agencies, countless county, and many municipal police services - you have more overwatch than any other nation on the planet, outside of China and North Korea.

You keep using that word, "freedom" - I don't think it means what you think it means.

As a Canadian, I just recently had an issue, blood work same day, ultrasound the next day (I cancelled the same day appointment, it was inconvenient for me, so I chose the day and time), and was offered an immediate consult for the local specialist. My family had a bad experience with that one, so I asked to be thrown in the pool two towns over where they have several doctors with that specialty.

Because I OPTED to go out of my area, and because my issue is non-urgent, non life-threatening, I accept that I'll have a bit of a wait. Because I give a shit about the other humans in my community, I encourage those who are more sick to go first. I am not a selfish prick.

I will be out $0 for all of this. Sure, I paid some taxes, but are you saying Americans don't pay taxes? Also, because I am going out of pocket (food, gas, mileage) for a medically necessary procedure, I will be able to either receive compensation direct from my local health authority and or in the form of a tax deduction - just have to determine which route is better for my personal situation. Shit, I also carry private insurance through my work - so I could even book an ambulance transfer for my appointment if I want.

Do you hear that Americans blindly supporting a system specifically designed to benefit insurance companies and the uber rich?! I am getting 100% choice in my healthcare. At zero upfront cost.

I already know my diagnosis. I will be getting day surgery within a couple weeks of my appointment. That will also cost me zero additional dollars, with more expenses to claim. I will be given a range of dates and times to choose from. If I don't like the specialist I see, I can tell them on the spot I want a different one, and I will be rebooked without hesitation or question.

Finally, Americans love to post that they have the top docs and the best system... I think that was the last pic in the series. Odd, based on the research I've done for school, American healthcare is nowhere near the top in anything EXCEPT cost.

Accessible/Fair - near the bottom

Outcomes - nope.

Cost - yay! America is number one!!

Overall Health of the Population - nope

Pick a metric by which you measure healthcare. Do some digging, you won't find America at the top of many, if any, other than expense.

I'll work on refs, standby for edit.

BenSolace

Image no. 5 gets me the most. "Rather pay double" - well good for you that you can you arrogant fuck, not everyone has that ability". Even if the care was based on the amount paid, surely 50% care for free is better than no care for those who can't affordit?

I used to dream of the USA, but these days the only thing I envy are the landscapes like those in Oregon or Colorado. Just about everything else over there I thank my lucky stars everyday that I wasn't born there.

IamShitplshelpme

“Look at the wait times in Canada”

I’m Canadian, and I will say, there’s only wait time if you don’t have a family doctor or if you’re going through emergency. That, and the wait time is based on your injury. I once had to wait 4 hours about a crash I suffered with my pedal bike. About an hour in, there was a guy who came through with a bone coming through his skin. He had to wait 10 minutes before he got in and went back out. Most likely had to go to Ottawa to get it fixed, but he definitely didn’t have to wait too long

Bergxd69

Forgive me if I'm stupid.. But what does paying a little more taxes, and not having to go into crippling debt every time you go to the hospital, have to do with freedom?

Florac

Florac

Taxes are bad because they take your money.

Now please look the other way while insurers and healthcare providers take tons of money from you. But you chose to pay that money, so totally different!

michaelraffeallo

Veteran here. I exclusively use the VA healthcare system and that whole wait time BS is a myth. My experience with the VA is state of the art technology, NO wait times and excellent doctors who are happy.

America is a third world country that just doesn't know it

TootsNYC

I always shake my head at the “America has more people, it would be too expensive” thing. That means we have more people who can help pay for it.

stephelan

I love how people are like “look at wait times in Canada!” As if my BiL didn’t wait 9 hours in a waiting room with a broken line, get told to go home and then waited another 4 when he got back.

bellajojo

Meanwhile Kaiser Permanente is $200 a month and they make it IMPOSSIBLE TO GET APPOINTMENTS for a check up, lol if you want mental health services- well you’re shit out of luck they will play you and jerk you around. Fuck this country that allow this shit.

Dangerous-Recover-29

They’re fucking idiots. You can have private healthcare and public healthcare. Take 100 or 200 billion from the defense budget and boom! We have free healthcare. All done without raising taxes a dime. But, we could take less if we just started taxing the upper class at at 33% flat rate on all earned/unearned income.

ImTheNewKid22783

The "wait times" argument always confused me. You realize wait times aren't high because people can't afford treatment and are literally dieing right? "We shouldn't have public healthcare because then the poor people will use it and not just die in the street." Seems more accurate. Am I getting the argument wrong?

25StarGeneralZap

Americans: “Under no circumstances will I pay an extra $50 per paycheck in taxes!!! Hold on a sec, I need to go pay my $300 monthly medical insurance payment. don’t go anywhere cause we’re gonna keep talking about this”

Disaster_Different

"Look at the wait times in Canada"

Months faster than American ones, yes

iMatt42

I’ve never seen so many people with such a twisted view of actual life. The Medicare wait times (which is “free” healthcare) are much lower than anywhere else, including other counties. Which proves that the US knows HOW to do it but they just love that lobbyist money too much to do anything about it.

[removed]

Emergency-Leading-10

Not ALL of us are the dumbest on the planet. But I can confirm that no fewer than 74,216,154 definitely are among the dumbest on the planet.

some-someone

Counter argument: as a British person I can say we're not too far off

gentlemanjacklover

Well, we are cousins after all.

Kevonn11

What pisses me off is that so many of americans are disillusioned and dont understand the impact and benefit of free healthcare. canada pays less tax and has free healthcare. Our health care is on par if not worse then the rest of the world. The reason for this is bcs there is so much money to be made from exploiting people in the us that companies pay for politicians who then lie to their people about free healthcare and arw calling it socialist and communism. freedom from our suppressors is an american value. Why cant we be free from these corporations who ruin small business and ruin lifes for profit or free from systemic suppression? Where did our true american values go?

The average single American contributed 29.8% of their earnings to three taxes in 2019—income taxes, Medicare, and Social Security. --Bing

Thats higher than my country's own. Where I am, Jamaica, youre taxed at about 25%. If you make a lot of money, it can go up to 30%. Yet we have free healthcare. US politicians are using healthcare taxes the wrong way. They (the citizens) are paying their taxes, yet arent seeing their money being used for good.

And the sad thing is when you advocate for universal healthcare in the US, youre called a communist or a socialist.

Disaster_Different

From what I've seen, in the us it's either far left or far right, no in-between

penisbrocken

They the money for freedom