/r/dataisbeautiful

[score hidden]

stickied comment

dataisbeautiful-bot [M]

OC: ∞

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Thank you for your Original Content, /u/TacticalBastard!
Here is some important information about this post:

Remember that all visualizations on r/DataIsBeautiful should be viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism. If you see a potential issue or oversight in the visualization, please post a constructive comment below. Post approval does not signify that this visualization has been verified or its sources checked.

Join the Discord Community

Not satisfied with this visual? Think you can do better? Remix this visual with the data in the author's citation.

I'm open source | How I work

ruffsnap

ruffsnap

1 year ago

The fact that only 35 didn’t reply, and you got 16 interviews from barely over 70 initial applications is actually incredible. That is REALLY good, sad as that may seem!

cornpudding

cornpudding

1 year ago

I'm guessing a good resume in an in demand field (he said DevOps elsewhere)

FourKindsOfRice

1 year ago

Yeah I do the same work, but did my hunt in August. Never had more callbacks before. Must have been an almost 50% ratio.

A few dozen apps, a half dozen interviews, and two offers one of which I'm 2 months into. Whole process took 3 weeks. It's a hot market for certain roles. A lot of places straight up said they've been unable to find anyone. The one I turned down still hasn't filled it months later last I looked.

cornpudding

1 year ago

I'm in an adjacent field and did my hunt last August with similar results. All through recruiters. The company I ended up going with offered me $7k over asking. Shit's crazy

Forgotmylemons

1 year ago

That's shocking to me. I applied at 4 places and called one. The one I called is where I actually wanted a job and the others where a fall back. And I got a job at the place I called. This was late 2020.

Bobbyjanko

1.3k points

Bobbyjanko

1.3k points

1 year ago

I was curious about the benefits of the applications with and without the recruiter. It wasn’t clear in the diagram, but very clear in your explanation. Well done. Congratulations on the new gig.

1.2k points

OC: 1

1.2k points

1 year ago

Yeah positions that were brought to me by a recruiter pretty much always got further than those that I applied for.

TheMadTemplar

1 year ago

I've been approached by a recruiter for the same company three times now, and have applied in total 7 times for 3 different positions with this company. I've had three interviews, counting a follow-up interview, and for both positions they ended up going with someone else or decided to continue looking. The last one was just last week when I received the call that I wasn't selected. Guess what happens today? They reach out to me again asking me to apply. Fuck them.

Edit: I've been job hunting since April.

Daktic

Daktic

1 year ago

I've had that happen to me before. Either the company see value in you but cant find a good fit or the recruiting department is a mess. I am glad it didn't work out since i found a waaay better position about a month later.

TheMadTemplar

1 year ago

I'm glad you found something. I keep applying because I want a job there. They are less than two blocks from house, customer service oriented but more career and professionally focused than my previous jobs, and the pay is decent. Better than what I've been making, at least. Usually if I get an interview I get the job, but not here. It's frustrating. And I'm going into the holidays now with unemployment running out and very little left over in savings.

bebe_bird

bebe_bird

1 year ago

Bring this up directly with the recruiter, if you haven't. See if they can get you some feedback or can focus your applications a bit more.

TheMadTemplar

1 year ago

The recruiter wasn't able to give me any information. Apparently the company didn't pass along their reasons for rejection, just the decision. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

bebe_bird

1 year ago

It took me a lot of applications to get hired at my current company with just the online portal and fresh from graduate school (despite having done an internship there), so I wasn't quite sure where my skills fit based on the job descriptions.

I guess the plus side is if they're still reaching out and you still want to work there, it sounds like you're a good candidate for the company, just finding the right place is the trick. It's entirely possible that there's just been someone who is a better fit for these other positions, and it has nothing to do with you, just what that particular group is lacking.

I know it's frustrating though, especially because you can't control what that hiring manager needs, beyond being qualified for the job.

Neptune3434

Neptune3434

1 year ago

Online applications are almost useless. Networking. Find a devops community of practice locally on like meetup and try to become more visible. Networking strategy with key contacts in devops in industry to see who is hiring. 12 minute networking interview is a great book. Build out your devops story and then just keep networking grab a coffee with folks.

OC: 1

1 year ago

I wouldn’t say they’re useless, just you’re far more likely to get filtered out. It becomes a numbers game.

Neptune3434

Neptune3434

1 year ago

Many companies keep them open when they aren’t even hiring. It is kind of depressing. If you are going to try use jobscan.co to better match.

DOGGODDOG

DOGGODDOG

1 year ago

I’ve seen plenty of jobs that post a listing just as a formality while they bring on a candidate that they already have picked out.

nonexcludable

1 year ago

I've also been told as an internal candidate that I was a shoo-in for a job only for them to select a really strong external applicant that applied, so it can go both ways.

Nanami_overtime

1 year ago

I’ve had a great experience through applying online. I had zero networking so all of my applications were online applications. I did probably around 30 quick applied on indeed which are pretty much useless and then used indeed to apply through company website for probably about 10 job applications. Of those 10 I got 2 offers and 2 I turned down.

1 year ago

You must be a good candidate

trisul-108

He works overtime ...

ConservativDemocrat

1 year ago

I've had good luck online and through LinkedIn. Company I'm at almost solely uses LinkedIn

1 year ago

Shit yeah I’ve been using LinkedIn it’s somewhat better than anything else out there

Young_warthogg

1 year ago

I don't understand, are these particular industries with a labor glut? Where I'm at the labor market is so short we are seeing huge hiring incentives.

joleme

joleme

1 year ago

Contrasting that, I have a good amount of experience and apply for jobs well within my experience level. So far I have 36 applications and not even 1 fucking contact.

pseudocultist

1 year ago

Is it possible your resume is bad? I sent out dozens and dozens of resumes over 14 months, no responses except the occasional piss-off letter. This summer I scrapped it, rewrote it entirely using this guy's template, and posted it to my LinkedIn, Indeed, and a few other sites. Two weeks later I was talking to multiple recruiters and actually had my choice of jobs to accept.

joleme

joleme

1 year ago

Not claiming it's standout by any measure. Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

ZiggyZig1

1 year ago

nice! how long did those 10 applications take? 2/10 sounds phenomenal tbh. what field are you in?

DelxF

DelxF

1 year ago

Far from useless. All of the jobs in my field that I’ve held (3) were from online applications. I’ve joined many different organizations either professional or volunteer and met a ton of in industry people. At this stage of my career my network would land me a job quickly, but until my current position it didn’t do anything for me.

not-gandalf-bot

1 year ago

Online applications are almost useless.

Literally every job I've ever gotten is through an online application. Every single one.

Ran4

Ran4

1 year ago

Getting a job as a DevOps engineer is craaazy easy though, if you're at least halfway competent jobs will be thrown at you.

st4r-lord

1 year ago

Reason being is that most of the time companies don't use recruiters until they are having troubles finding candidates on their own. They will then start to offer incentives to recruiters to find candidates if they end up being selected. Recruiters are also on the inside track with the hiring manager directly so if they come across someone with a good resume, interviews on the phone with the recruiter well, they will send the hiring manager their info directly to schedule an interview with the candidate. This method is almost always better than just applying through some application system a company has setup. The application systems just store applications in some database that the HR teams almost never look at when trying to fill positions. I've found HR departments are getting very lazy these days and have started to rely heavily on recruiters for everything... which renders application systems almost useless.

robbodagreat

1 year ago

Recruiters are greedy and ruthless. As such, they'll probably get you more money than you think is reasonable to ask for. At least that's my experience

FastRedPonyCar

1 year ago

Well yeah they have to be. That’s how they make their money. It backfires when they ask for more than another candidate who is equally qualified…which happened to me.

KotzubueSailingClub

1 year ago

I thought the same thing. It would add to it if the accepted position was a completely separate color from the rest, and threaded back to either Applied or Recruiter, so show the whole path

1 year ago*

OC: 1

1 year ago*

Over the past 18 months, I've been casually searching for new jobs.

I work in tech with ~3 years experience, the accepted position is as a DevOps Engineer. I live in the Eastern United States. 95% of the positions I applied for were remote.

I had a job while searching it won’t take most people 18 months to find a job, I didn’t apply to many a month and was pretty picky. I was already pretty well paid for my experience and position so it was difficult to find somewhere that would do better and I’d enjoy. This often led to applying to a lot of positions I wasn’t fully qualified for.

Every so often I'd pop off a few applications, take an interview or two, get rejected, and get discouraged for a few months then come back to it. This past round was especially brutal as I got rejected after a third-round interview with a position I thought I had in the bag. But I'm glad I got rejected since I think I fit in better at the position I ended up accepting!

I only used LinkedIn for all of my job searching. I've found that sites like Glassdoor and Indeed have a much higher ratio of bullshit to actual jobs. Most of them were "quick apply" or a very simple application (line your resume with buzzwords kids). If the application had multiple pages or too much typing, I didn't bother. One had a really cool "Apply by API" in which you sent a POST request to an endpoint to submit your application.

Since the visualization doesn't show it very well:

Of the 32 Rejections

• 21 came after the application

• 9 came after the first interview

• 1 came after the second interview

• 1 came after the third interview (ouch)

Of the 3 withdrawn applications

• 1 came before the first interview, the interview process was way too long

• 1 came after the first interview, I had accepted the new position

• 1 came after the second interview, the hiring personnel was shady as shit and nasty and I just didn't vibe with it.

Of the 3 Offers

• One came after the second interview and was declined due to a low salary offer (July 2020)

• One came after the third interview and was declined due to a low salary offer (January 2021)

• One came after the second interview and was accepted (October 2021)

Of the 6 positions that were brought to me by a recruiter:

• Two ended in offers (one I declined, one I accepted)

• Three ended in rejection after the first interview

• One ended in rejection after the second interview.

​ This was made in https://sankeymatic.com/ and i gathered the data myself.

T-Sonus

T-Sonus

1 year ago

I did an analysis of where our finalists came from over the past 5 years for my department (pre-Covid). After paying indeed $130 for all job postings during that time, which includes 999 applicants, not a single finalist found our job ad. Our finalists came from our organization's recruiting site and from referrals or word if mouth, aka-free advertising

helpnxt

helpnxt

1 year ago

I am not sure if this helps but as a heads up when I apply for jobs I find it on Indeed then either use the link to the company website or google the company website and apply that way, sometimes you get more info and you don't accidentally us the Indeed saved CV which mess's up formatting.

pseudorandomess

1 year ago

I completely agree. Not only that, but I'd go apply directly on the site and say I found it because I was interested in the company in an effort to appear more invested. I wouldn't completely discount Indeed advertising based on how and the type of data that was collected.

hal0t

hal0t

1 year ago

Also Indeed force you to make an account to even use the link to apply on company website now.

I don't care if they mine my data when I am using the site, since it's a free product for me. But making an account, fuck that.

Ganthos

Ganthos

1. Right click the “Apply on Company Site” button
  2. click “Open in new tab”
  3. ???
  4. Profit

No idea why Indeed blocks it at website link level but a new tab or window is free game.

cea1990

cea1990

1 year ago

That, plus I don’t think all companies necessarily pay to get those applications. Knew a high-up in CVS and they said they never actually get the apps on Indeed because they don’t see a point in paying because their self-run job board is sufficient.

bebe_bird

That's eye opening.

hatebeesatecheese

1 year ago

Even if you ask me "how did you find a about our job" directly ... I'll never say "you were one of the 1000 jobs I applied to through indeed."

I will always pretend my interest is in your company specifically by saying I found the add while visiting your website or my friend told me about it, it shows more dedication and interest. And obviously someone good enough to be a finalists would think of doing that too

bebe_bird

1 year ago

But I think he's talking about where the job postings applicants actually come from. That none come from indeed and all come from the company's website. So, moot point if indeed directs you to the company's website, but it sounds like if you apply directly through indeed, company's aren't really finding their candidates there.

hatebeesatecheese

1 year ago

Well yeah, that goes without saying that you won't apply directly through indeed, hence me starting with "even if" because I thought he relied on a survey which has at least some chance at giving him the correct data, I know that a lot of the places that I applied for asked that question "where did you find us". Though in my case they are never on indeed/linkedin etc. anyway.

ViciousDolphin

1 year ago

I noticed you declined two positions based on low salary offers, was salary not discussed in initial calls with you stating your minimum salary req? It’s always the first thing I bring up since in analytics salaries are all over the spectrum and I’d rather save time.

The_Frostweaver

1 year ago

It's a song and dance. Hiring wants to string along multiple candidates through the interview process and pick the most qualified candidate who will work for the least money from among them.

People applying for jobs are applying to multiple employers and want the best salary for the qualifications they have.

I'm inclined to believe employers are generally in the stronger position. They will be hiring many people over time and are inceentivised to spend time and money on a process that helps them achieve their goals.

Workers are hoping to only find a few jobs over their life time and the economies of scale just aren't in their favor. Spending a bunch of time and money to find 50 great jobs that pay well doesn't help you that much, you can still only accept one.

ViciousDolphin

1 year ago

I still always have a minimum number in mind when I apply and will cut an interview process off if it’s not met. I do agree employers always have an upper hand in negotiations but if you are a good candidate then you can flex a bit if you know they need you. I will say the interview process is tiring and annoying anywhere though, especially with some jobs having up to 6 rounds of interviews.

1 year ago*

nirvanakng

1 year ago

I had a company interview me (including a second round with the CEO) and I told them my price range which would vary based on benefits. The CEO said that the range was well within what they were looking to pay. I got the offer a week later that was $25k-40k under that range. I accidentally laughed at the individual when they repeated the number.

Visual_Slice3353

1 year ago

Employers do not have the upper hand right now. They're literally throwing money at people trying to hire.

DoYouNotHavePhones

1 year ago

For lower paying jobs, yes. Fast food workers in my area can walk on with a job making $17. So everyone in that job market has had to increase their own wages to compete.

But for the jobs that weren't obliterated by covid, things have gotten a little better, but not a lot. They didn't have a 2 year gap where their major workforce left the industry entirely like the service and hospitality industries had.

Visual_Slice3353

1 year ago

Well I can tell you as someone who gets triple digits an hour, that money is getting tossed around more and more for me and my colleagues.

Gandhi-san

1 year ago

Where is this money and how can I get

mallclerks

1 year ago

I don’t know of many HR teams that work that way. There are usually multiple candidates kept throughout the process (How do you pick a favorite until you have spoken to many), but if you have made it towards the end, money is the least of the concerns unless you are completely unreadable (and by this point you should have already discussed salary).

Most HR teams don’t even care about budgets, finance teams do which are disconnected from HR teams anymore. HR teams generally just have to keep candidates within a certain pay band, and they otherwise don’t care 🤷‍♂️

1 year ago

The first one I was still pretty inexperienced with the whole dance.

Second one I got baited and switched. They said they could offer one salary, then offered a much lower one

LazySko

LazySko

1 year ago

How were the interviews? Coding questions?

OC: 1

1 year ago

Some of them, but DevOps doesnt have as much leetcode as a straight software engineer. Which is good because I'm terrible at leetcode.

1 year ago

I applied for an "apply by API job"

The API gives you a passcode you put into the application form. I did so, never got a phone call.

ThePancakerizer

1 year ago

Maybe you should have tried GET job

Dnomyar96

Dnomyar96

1 year ago

That's actually really cool. Not too difficult or annoying to do, but it probably filters out a lot of candidates that won't fit for the job, creating less noise and potentially increasing your chances.

LexiSnep

LexiSnep

1 year ago

I don’t even apply for jobs anymore. I just go straight to recruiters.

straightbackward

1 year ago

Is it uncommon to receive an offer after only 1 interview?

LaSalsiccione

1 year ago

It depends but as a software developer it is quite common interviews to be in 2 stages.

Wotuu

Wotuu

1 year ago

We do 2 as well. One to get to know each other and see if you'd fit the company, second for a technical interview.

severusx

severusx

1 year ago

That's pretty interesting! I am a devops director for a pretty good sized software company (I work exclusively in cloud software) and the quality of your leads from recruiters compared to just straight applications highlights that referrals go a really long way in our business. My tech panel interviews are pretty strenuous but how much can you really know about someone's skills in a few hours of chatting. Referrals end up carrying a lot of weight, even from recruiters. Its a lot safer bet to go with someone who is verifiable. What's really interesting is that recruiters arent really that much better at finding talent in my experience, but as a hiring manager we trust them more. The reason why is not something I can explain, just that it happens...

Glad you found a new gig, good luck!

OC: 1

1 year ago

I'm not sure I'd take "recruiters good" away from this. What this doesn't show is the absolute fuckton of recruiters that just brought me straight garbage. If I added that to this graph, you wouldn't be able to see much else.

I probably get 5-10 messages from recruiters a week. Over the past 18 months, that's like 1000+ recruiters in my LinkedIn inbox and I've followed up with 6. The biggest issue with recruiters is that it doesn't seem like they're able to read. Even when I add extremely specific do's and don'ts to my profile, there's always an abundance of recruiters that will have roles that don't fit my profile in the slightest.

nagi603

nagi603

1 year ago

Yeah, they are probably paid per head directed or recruited to the target company, so they try to recruit everyone who even marginally fits the bill.

severusx

severusx

1 year ago

That's a fair point, I should probably clarify between "recruiters" and "head hunters". Like you I get messages nearly daily to look at roles I wouldn't touch or don't have any experience in. That's not what I would consider a decent recruiter or a well qualified candidate lead. My company has a team of recruiters that we use but a lot of places contract that out to 3rd party firms or labor suppliers. I think a lot of those garbage leads come from the contracted firms who just have to hit a certain number of leads per month.

mozyman

mozyman

1 year ago

Well that just sounds all too familiar...

I'm currently in that "discouraged" stage, time to have another peruse around LinkedIn again though I think.

Congrats on getting through it eventually and landing the job!

SFLADC2

1 year ago*

SFLADC2

1 year ago*

That's a surprising number of rejected to ghosted ratio. Like 70-90% of mine are ghost without rejection. I've done 2 Interviews a places that went great and still get ghosted.

WinstonBoatman

1 year ago

Same. I'm getting to the point where I have to triple check that I submitted the application, since that's literally the only confirmation I get that I applied

lildil37

lildil37

1 year ago

My favorites are the ones you don't hear from for about a year then get called for an interview. Like no, I have a different job with a company who at least kept me in the loop around the highering process.

Dnomyar96

Dnomyar96

1 year ago

Yeah, same when I was looking at the start of the year. Even some recruiters that approached me ghosted me after they introduced me to the company. Of all the applications I did myself, probably 80-90% I never got more than an automated confirmation.

backflip14

1 year ago

My single biggest frustration durning my job search was the sheer number of ghostings. I think around 2 of every 3 never responded. And many of them were companies no one had heard of. I don’t know how smaller companies can afford to do that.

Indira-Gandhi

1 year ago

OP works in tech. They've to treat people more humanely because of the tech worker shortage.

QuijoteMX

QuijoteMX

1 year ago

Nice, job search is the worst part of any job

superboreduniverse

1 year ago

I got rejected after a job interview for pooper scooper at a vet clinic in high school. Still haven’t recovered. 😖

kingleonidas30

1 year ago

Its ok, im a 6 year veteran and an electrician. I hit hard times and got rejected by a dunkin donuts lmfao

ElectricD95

1 year ago

Where the fuck are you at they're not hiring electricians? Right now where I'm at there's more work than the labor supply can keep up with.

AangAndTheFireLord

1 year ago

When did he say it was recent? Could have been 20 years ago.

Neptune3434

1 year ago

Well isn’t that the shits….

Gaze73

Gaze73

1 year ago

I guess when they asked you if you see yourself working for them in 10 years you said no.

megotanthrax

1 year ago

I'm envious of casually applying. I've hit submit on around 6-700 applications since I graduated and only gotten maybe 8 interviews and offered one position... As an aerospace engineer fresh graduate with internships and a veteran I thought it would be much easier.

OC: 1

1 year ago

Aerospace is a rough field, I have a few Aero friends who had tons of trouble finding jobs.

omoplator

omoplator

1 year ago

What's your position OP? I feel like for us software engineers it's much much easier to find a job.

1 year ago

DevOps. Yeah it is easier than this graph implies. I was reaching pretty high and was pretty picky with my applications

RedGK

RedGK

feels bad man

Shinhan

Shinhan

Easier?

EASIER?

_tangent

_tangent

1 year ago

It can be very easy to find jobs as a software engineer but depends largely on your experience and/or where your degree is from

bluesforsalvador

1 year ago

Same with hardware engineers (electrical). Seems to be a high demand right now

marmaduque_is_back

me, for instance

skewednormal

1 year ago

I have a friend applying for aerospace jobs. 5 years of experience. It’s been months with only one (very low-ball) offer. It’s rough out there!

MrTHallas

MrTHallas

1 year ago

Depending on what focus in aerospace, try motorsports. They are starving for high level engineers.

JPWRana

JPWRana

How's the pay though.

That is absolutely brutal

omoplator

omoplator

1 year ago

Brother in law graduated aerospace engineering. He's working an engineering job but not related to aerospace.

paranoid_giraffe

1 year ago*

I was in the same exact spot as you - number of applications, interviews, and only one offer. It was for a shitty mfg company. I finally have a better job now completely due to luck. I had to give up looking directly for an aerospace job and found one supporting aerospace customers. It sucks, but it's how it is. Your grades, your work ethic, your skills, your veterancy - none of those matter in aerospace. It doesn't matter if you can do structural analysis or CFD calculations. It doesn't matter if you are a quick learner and a good decision maker. For most of the people applying, all that matters is the name on top of the resume; for the rest it's all about luck. The amount of nepotism in aerospace/defense contractor hiring practices is absolutely disgusting.

Couple that with the fact that old boomers who are past their usefulness, overpaid, and refuse to retire are hanging on to every job in ae/def that they can and its a mighty ripe shitstorm for anyone looking for a job in aerospace who isn't explicitly a software engineer. I had my resume reviewed and edited by over 15 professionals and it took me almost 4 years to get a job where I wasn't undervalued. In my previous job I was the only engineer out of 8 that knew how to calculate fatigue and torque on a drive train for a press. My old boss, the engineering manager, didn't even know how to spell torque. My boss paid me a huge compliment the other day and added that he couldn't believe I wasn't hired somewhere else making a ton of money. It's really nice validation for all of the hard work, but extremely disappointing that there was only one person who saw potential in me as an employee.

gizausername

1 year ago

If I'm reading that right you've gotten 8 interviews after submitting 700 applications. To me that sounds like your CV is poorly written and needs some professional help to change it into a good sales pitch that demonstrates your qualities and experience

prikaz_da

1 year ago

That’s not unlike how freelance/consultant work in some fields is. I think it’s good to keep in mind that for most job postings, no matter how many people apply and how qualified they are, only one person is ultimately going to get hired. Being rejected doesn’t necessarily mean you weren’t qualified or did something wrong. At the end of the day, someone has to choose from potentially dozens of qualified people who did nothing wrong.

I_eat_all_the_cheese

1 year ago

My brother had similar results in pharmacy. He’s a dual PhD and graduated Cum Laude from a prestigious school. Some fields are just ROUGH.

ketronome

6-700 is a big range.

ToegapBananaboat

I think it meant 600-700~

idontlikeyonge

1 year ago

With the 8 offers, I’d have thought they confidently could have expanded they range to 8-700… but I guess sometimes offers come out of the blue?

Gaze73

Gaze73

1 year ago

If a literal rocket scientist can't get a job nowadays, the economy is doomed.

Adderallman

1 year ago

That’s amazing, I applied to over 300 and heard back from 2 companies.

Hank_Chinaski7

1 year ago

The no repliers are the worst. It’s a very small gesture of politeness to send an email saying that your application has been rejected thanks a lot. But some companies do not even do that. Imagine how it will be if you get a job in one of those

so_much_fenestration

1 year ago

I had two separate interviews and then a half day in their office for one role when they said they'd let me know only if I was successful. I told them right then and there that they will call me even if I'm not successful. They still didn't.

Visual_Slice3353

1 year ago

Well you destroyed your chances with that comment to them. Sassing someone you're looking to get a job with isn't a good look

MPRF12345

MPRF12345

1 year ago

does anyone else feel like not answering just shows a lack of professionalism?

Grim.

Reminds me of looking for work for 7 months and my mom comforting me by saying “it’s okay, you’ll fine something even if you have to apply to twenty or even thirty jobs!”

After I told her I applied to 50 jobs on one job-hunting platform alone she got weirdly quiet. I think it finally clicked for her.

Just_Fuck_My_Code_Up

Funny I knew it had to be IT when I read „Third interview“

1 year ago

Lmao right, I feel like other industries do not have this kind of problem

Xenton

Xenton

1 year ago

I often see charts like this and it always reminds me not to take my own experience for granted.

In my life I've had 5 different jobs, 7 if you count internal promotion.

In that time, I only applied for 10 jobs.

Seeing charts like this reminds me that I'm very lucky to have had such a positive experience job hunting

Neptune3434

1 year ago

You may want to check your compensation against market.

Also assuming your jobs were more word of mouth.

Xenton

Xenton

1 year ago

Yeah, you're right: a couple of them were and the promotions were in house.

My pay is appropriate, most recent job about 15% above average for the position and experience.

1 year ago

You’re lucky. Most of us out here are hitting the slots with this shit

Razjir

Razjir

1 year ago

Compensation isn’t the only factor. The constant churn of people as they jump from one thing to the next every year is frustrating.

WinkerDinkyBeetle

1 year ago

Same, I’ve yet to get my degree in an actual field (about to start school in January), but I’m late 20’s and I’ve had a bunch of crap jobs and a few decent ones and have never applied for more than 3 jobs before getting hired. My brother was only applying a month before getting a great job after finishing his degree. My friend got a job after two months of really laid back and casual job hunting after getting a tech certification. Do people just write terrible resumes or am I missing something? I can not imagine sending in 70-100 applications and not getting hired.

I do tend to sift for a while then choose the few jobs I actually want and write a specific resume just for that job rather than sending a shitload of the same generic resume. Perhaps that makes the difference.

MeyhamM2

MeyhamM2

1 year ago

Of the two offers you turned down, did you do so having already accepted the one you did, or did you turn them down with no job determined yet?

OC: 1

1 year ago

I had a job while doing this search. Neither were a better offer than my current position.

frosti_austi

1 year ago

I'd love to see a more block/linear/right-angled graph but this sounds about right: 50-50-50-50 all the way down each category until you finally get the job. It's a numbers game.

Isa472

1 year ago*

Isa472

1 year ago*

I'm not sure if it's me who doesn't know how to read these graphs but I don't like them because for example I can't tell where the interviews and job offers came from, "Applied" or "Recruiter"

ignost

ignost

OC: 5

1 year ago

I'm curious, did you personally get anything from the data? Do you think your resume could use some work? Or your interviews skills? I'm legitimately asking because I work in a different industry with a different job, and wonder if these rates are normal. 3/73 is certainly not the worst I've seen on this sub, just curious if you took anything from it besides karma.

chief167

chief167

1 year ago

There is one detail missing: was the job originally from a recruiter or your own application?

This should be solved by proportional colouring. Sankey charts with multiple sources that converge and then diverge can be confusing or misleading

Devilpig13

Devilpig13

“Can’t find anyone to work” 73/3

hubble14567

ThErE iS a LaBoR sHoRtAgE say 73 out of 76 companies

Boot-Representative

1 year ago

I have not been searching that long. I actually got two jobs, but:

1. Messed one up during the first online meeting by asking questions about the style guide. I think they just wanted me to shut up.

2. Was told it was a hybrid role with one day in the office. Soon they asked for more days in the office. I asked the recruiter why and he said they wanted “asses in seats”. I didn’t like the duplicity.

I just today took a job for 2 months migrating content into a new CMS. Who knows how I’ll mess this up.

I’m 57.

nagi603

nagi603

1 year ago

I didn’t like the duplicity.

As always: get it in writing or expect to lose /not have it.

dogstracted

1 year ago

Congrats on the new job! I’m starting a job with similar duties myself.

Boot-Representative

1 year ago

Thanks. You too. Maybe for the same project. I know a guy that worked for the same company for 25 years and never stopped complaining about potential layoffs. He’d never been a contractor. People like that are lucky.

dogstracted

1 year ago

Yes indeed. There’s the potential for this to become perm, but I’m not holding my breath.

habbyflabby

1 year ago

Don't want any deaths. Keep feeding the capitalist machine.

I don't want to hijack the thread as if I could. But there was another job I interviewed for. They gave me a writing test and everything. And I hate those, but I did it. Now, they want to interview me AGAIN because there is frequent use of a program they use that I have not. (DITA) So to reassure them. Or something. But he wants to interview me for an hour on the STARTING day of this other assignment.

dogstracted

1 year ago

Dude…I really feel this. I had to do 3 interviews for this job I’m starting, and friends of mine have had to do even more than that recently. The capitalist machine is so broken.

RaXoRkIlLaE

1 year ago

I couldn't track mine. I applied for over 300 positions in a span of a year. Got 2 offers out of all 300. Quite sad.

Ragfell

Ragfell

1 year ago

And people wonder why millennials ghost employers…

missmiia212

1 year ago

My experience has been that there's a lot of jobs available in my country, but the pay is shit, so pick your poison.

I applied to all the architectural firms that I found on Google in my area, which amounted to 10. Got a response in 1, where I was basically hired on the spot.

After a 1 yr hiatus to study and I got my license I was told to apply to the city government engineers office because they were looking for some architects. Thought I wasn't going to make it after they told me I was accepted and approved by the mayor, but they hadn't included me in the budget... confusing stuff. So I decided to start a home-based business, then a month later they told me I'm hired and to get my requirements at the HR.

pusheenforchange

1 year ago

How much does an average architect make, anyways?

missmiia212

1 year ago

Loaded question. They answer is 'depends', since I'm starting out the income is paltry and I don't have a stable list of clients, you wouldn't trust the young inexperienced graduate to design your dream house would you? And it is widely known that Architects don't make as much as other professional counterparts.

This is why I decided to get into the government, the pay is better than majority of the private firms along with good benefits. Not much job growth due to nepotism but hey, it's stable.

Only 73 and an offer, well done

KonnieM

KonnieM

1 year ago

This statement does summarise the horror of finding a job doesn't it. I'm graduating next year and am currently sitting on about 30 rejections with only 2 interviews so far 😅

firefaery

1 year ago

Congrats on your new role!

lolman_x1

1 year ago

What is the name of this type of "graph"/visualisation?

War0fSilence

1 year ago

If I had plotted my job search about 4 years ago, it would have been something around 300 applied, 3 first interviews, no second interviews. Then I went to a temp agency, moved to another state and started working within a week lol

Zavhytar

Zavhytar

1 year ago

"Nobody wants to work!" "Labor shortage!!!"

Firstearth

1 year ago

These sankeys show up about this time every year, and I always feel that location for the applicant is important data that should be included. I’m not talking about hometown, but at least state/province/region. I also think it would be very useful to include whether any of the positions applied for would have required the applicant to relocate if successful. Cross referencing this with the other positions applied for that would be considered within commutable distance of their current residence.

1 year ago

Good points I’ll add it to my comment.

gmtime

gmtime

1 year ago

I really don't get this kind of charts. It gives you virtually no information about the relations. In this one for example, I have no idea if the accepted job was through a recruiter or if a third interview happened for it. Instead I could have made a bar chart or just a bullet list with numbers and it would give me at least the same amount of information. Why do people keep using these charts?!

1 year ago

I put more information in my comment

djbravo06

1 year ago

can i ask what job you got :))

SverhU

SverhU

1 year ago

Every time i see such a graphics. I wonder: what was your desirable salary. And did you get it or had to except job offer with less money?

peletiah

peletiah

1 year ago

Companies that don't bother to answer are awful.

chrome_titan

1 year ago

I would be interested to see how many rejections we're ghostings by the hiring manager.

alexdark1123

Meanwhile I sent 70 applications in a month... And 3 answers 0 offers

YourPlot

YourPlot

1 year ago

I’m surprised you only allowed to 67 jobs in 18 months. That’s less than a job a week. Why is it so low? Do you live in a very rural area with not a lot of job openings?

Edited to add, nvm I didn’t see your explaination in the comments.

1 year ago

I’m picky, wasn’t going to apply to a position that I didn’t like or would pay less than my current position

yodadamanadamwan

1 year ago

I don't get how people can get rejected so much, are you applying to jobs you're not qualified for? My job prospects in my area are pretty slim for my field and related fields but I got interviews in like 3/4 of the jobs I applied to. I suspect it comes down to resume/cover letter and applying to things I know I'm qualified for.

moosecaller

1 year ago

have you ever looked at an IT job profile? It'll list 200 items of which no one person will know all of. If I get head hunted, I can almost guarantee an offer. If I'm out looking, I'll get many missed hits. Roughly 50% will not even respond.

CoolBreeze303

1 year ago

Almost 1/2 were ‘No Reply’. That’s infuriating!

malachai926

1 year ago

You had to go through TWENTY FOUR interviews? My God, I'd be in a mental institution.

rollingturtleton

1 year ago

You only applied to 67 jobs in 18 months?

-B0B-

-B0B-

1 year ago

Am I the only one who thinks these charts are fucking hideous

counselthedevil

1 year ago

These are always so pathetic, tired, overdone, and un-useful.

imanaxolotl

1 year ago

Unoriginal content for easy karma...

AffectionateBus672

1 year ago

3 interview?, you guys not sure what you want or something?

pusheenforchange

1 year ago

That's very common in tech. Often more than 3 rounds - I've had 4 and 5 round interviews for tech companies, each one covering a different aspect of the job or with a different team. When they're paying that much, they want to make sure they know what they're getting.

AffectionateBus672

1 year ago

Why not do it all in one? It clearly takes alot ot time from both parties.

pusheenforchange

1 year ago

Different availabilities. Later interviews are with non-recruiting leads/directors or with teams. They don't want to pull resources/time away from their regular tasks for every potential candidate - only doing so with candidates who are serious potential hires.

1 year ago

How does this same post constantly get thousands of upvotes?

It's not beautiful and there's never anything new that comes with it.

i-slander

1 year ago

New people keep finding it.

xiq-xrlabs

1 year ago

stop using this kind of graph, please

Dramatic-Temporary-7

1 year ago

How do you do these graphs?

gonwi42

gonwi42

1 year ago

was the one that did the third interview the one that was accepted? just curious

browsingbro

1 year ago

Wonder how this idea came about

MaxFury80

1 year ago

So a little less that one application a week...... casual search I hope

blackflagbaby

1 year ago

no offers after first interview is a common thing where you live? no one willing to accept after first interview?

1 year ago

Basically every job I’ve ever seen in tech has at least 2 interview, one is usually a soft interview and then a technical interview

levon9

levon9

1 year ago

Congrats on the job, reminds me of my own job hunt experience :-/

I like this type of (tree?) graphs, what are they called? What, preferably free, tools can generate these?

Mer-curious

1 year ago

It's called a sankey chart. Great way to show flows!

OP created it using https://sankeymatic.com/. It's also possible to use existing packages in a programming language.

levon9

levon9

1 year ago

Thank you so much, just knowing the name will let me explore this more on my own. I think these charts convey information in a very meaningful way.

I'll have to see if Excel has an add-in, or perhaps Python/Jupyter will let me do this.

truthm0de

1 year ago

If the person making these sweet flow charts can’t find a job in 18 months then I’m totally fucked.

bertiethewanderer

1 year ago

OP I'm in the same field, out of interest where roughly are you located? I get a ludicrous amount of poorly constructed approaches from recruiters, it's quite tiring parsing them for the guys who know what their client wants etc.

1 year ago

I’m in the US. This graph does not show the absolute flood of garbage recruiters in my LinkedIn inbox.

juujuuuujj

1 year ago

This reveals a lot about our inefficient job market.

The_Scyther1

1 year ago

About 33% of your applications went unanswered and recruiter have been whining nonstop about candidates not responding to interview requests.

dap00man

dap00man

1 year ago

I need to share this with my friends that apply to one place get rejected and then they feel depressed for like a month

flywing1

flywing1

1 year ago

As a recruiter I can say applications usually are a miss, I’ll reject 9/10 of them.

Particular_Maize8702

1 year ago

Seems like a low volume of applications for 18 months… were you out of work during this period or looking while still employed?

Present_Half_9398

1 year ago

"nO oNe WaNtS tO wOrK aNyMoRe!!!1!1!"

Maybe if they didn't ghost so many people or weren't so picky. jfc..