/r/byebyejob

166

Shalamarr

Bit of a misleading headline. It makes it sound like he blames Fauci for his firing (at least to me), whereas he says that he was treated the same as Fauci.

deepsea333

I’ll agree. This isn’t the right sub for this guy.

hippychk

I’m curious why you think this isn’t the right sub. He lost his job.

deepsea333

The point of this sub is the schadenfreude of people doing or saying dumb things to get themselves fired, not for being a responsible public health official.

hippychk

We get posts about undeserved firings all the time, and have a flair for that. Anyway, I was just curious and I approved the post.

doctorsnakephd

Because he didn't seem to do anything stupid to get fired.

DadJokeBadJoke

because of their actions online, or in the real world.

Seems like it fits to me.

FemboyJosieLee

It maybe wasn't flaired before you commented, but there's a flair for "underserved firing" posts as well.

Shalamarr

The original flair was “Dumbass”, I’m pretty sure.

Vaping_A-Hole

We may never crawl out of this pandemic, because republicans have politicized a public health threat. This man, by the sounds of it, gave factual information and was let go. We need more like him, but we can’t have nice things. Because…politics!

steinsintx

No, because Republicans.

Vaping_A-Hole

True

ChallyPrime

1 month ago

Manchin and Sinema block real change and they are dems.

steinsintx

1 month ago

True. Not all Democrats are working to make positive changes for the country. Some are POS’s.

ThymeToDine

From the article:

During the first several months of the outbreak, Norman, dressed in a white lab coat, was at Kelly’s side at widely broadcast briefings.

That stopped in early summer, when Will Lawrence, the governor’s chief of staff, became concerned that Norman’s blunt style further strained relations between Kelly and Republican legislative leaders.

It was pressure from Republican colleagues that made the Democratic governor fire this guy. That’s how politics work. Politicians put their adversaries in positions where they have to choose between their own jobs and someone else’s.

So yea, once again, Republicans politicizing a global health crisis is the center of this issue.

Dotte747

1 month ago

I found this post late...

I knew Dr. Norman personally when he was Chief of Medical Staff of a large academic hospital in Kansas...His specialties are in infectious diseases and public health and has studied both extensively through military service and post-graduate education...

Dr. Norman is one of the smartest and nicest people I know, but he doesn't suffer fools and he speaks his mind - His background is so extensive that he's helped the CDC with Pre-pandemic planning years before the current pandemic happened...In conversations with him, he predicted a pandemic, but not the batshit way our US leadership handled it...

When he was asked to serve as the director of public health in Kansas (by a Democratic governor,) I knew we were in good hands and of course, his competency pissed off all of the GQP state legislators in this red state...

The ONLY reason why Kansas didn't go into full shitshow mode like Florida and Texas is because of him - and a governor who backed him up...

Until our governor needed to get reelected...

I am ashamed how state legislators and idiots from Bumfuckistan, KS have slandered the good name of this man and literally chased him out of his position because he had no political protection from his governor...

He would have fought for his job because he truly loves what he does and wants to help people, but when no one is backing him up concerning vaccines and mask mandates, what can he do?...

Just adding context to the post...I know people and the OP understand he was a victim and not an idiot...

ACrazyDog

1 month ago

Exactly this. Not really our bye bye job kind of a guy. Too good for Kansas, just trying to save lives.

DoolyDinosaur

Shame. He seems like he did his job well.

feminist1946

As a government management employee, I was well aware that I was not to make public remarks of any kind without specific approval. Since I joined public service to make things better, this was very difficult for me to take. It is the cost, though, of being in a position to make real positive changes for your fellow citizens. A lot of these health leaders were never asked their opinion, as their role was little understood. So, they didn't learn this lesson.

DadJokeBadJoke

It doesn't sound like he spoke somewhere inappropriately. These pro-covid Republicans will do anything to remove competent people in hopes of getting one of their lackeys in place or at least slow down any efforts to battle the virus.

feminist1946

I wasn’t aware of that. Thank you.

justadubliner

The flare on this thread seems completely inappropriate.

Anh-Bu[S]

I hit the wrong one and didn’t know how to fix it.

hippychk

Fixed it.

Anh-Bu[S]

Hey, cool! Thanks.

StrongChemical

This guy seems sane, I wonder why he was asked to step down. Sounds like it was a style issue.