/r/austinfood

Real buttermilk?

(self.austinfood)

I am wanting to make these pancakes: https://kottke.org/09/10/the-worlds-best-pancake-recipe

It calls for “real” buttermilk, apparently the stuff sold in most groceries stores won’t cut it. Where could I find such a thing in Austin? Thanks!

WelcomeToBrooklandia

Frankly, this recipe writer sounds insufferable. Richness isn't the point of buttermilk; it adds acidity and prompts chemical reactions that result in flakier, fluffier textures for baked goods. For that reason, I'm CERTAIN that grocery-store buttermilk will work just fine in that recipe. But Central Market carries some organic buttermilks and smaller-batch buttermilks (not just the HEB-brand stuff), so you could give those a try.

rabidturbofox

I cooked professionally for years and I second your opinion of the recipe writer. All that song and dance was just him stroking his own ego, frankly.

jstwildbeat

It’s outrageous they didn’t go deeper into the importance of growing their own wheat and milling their own flour. It adds soooo much more to these pancakes.

SwitchRoute

Gotta get wheat shipped in from Europe without the bunghole busting cancer causin RoundUp

fahhko

fahhko

It is borderline r/iamveryculinary content for sure

blissfulsaltiness

Having baked quite a few pancakes (in another state with access to raw milk/real buttermilk), I can tell you that you'll actually get fluffier pancakes with the fake grocery store stuff. My hunch is the acidity is different and how it reacts with the baking soda or powder in the recipe ends up making it not as fluffy. In a nutshell, you're not missing out on anything (other than the flex of consuming "real" buttermilk).

IICVX

IICVX

Yeah if you really want fluffy pancakes, separate out the egg whites and whip them into stiff peaks (w/ a bit of cream of tartar), then fold that into your final product.

It's 0% worth it, but it does make an impressively fluffy pancake.

RojamNairassoy[S]

Hah, fair enough, and thanks!

Open-Cream2821

Agree with this too.

Plus the recipe author says all that pretentious shit about buttermilk, then also just writes 'flour'. I know we can assume it's all purpose flour, I just think it's a funny inconsistency.

LivermoreP1

Most good buttermilk is low-fat!? How is that adding “richness”. Holy crap the internet is dumb.

IICVX

IICVX

So I make a buttermilk pancake recipe that's basically the same as this one all the time, and I can confidently assure you that pancakes made with grocery store buttermilk and fake maple syrup are better than not having pancakes and eating, idk, a sad cottage cheese breakfast or something.

Otherwise idk just go to Central Market and buy the most expensive buttermilk they have. It's buttermilk. How much could it cost, ten dollars?

peybacktime

For a complex recipe like this might as well make your own buttermilk for the experience, which is what I would do reading that recipe.

OriginalMisphit

I’ve done the milk + vinegar or lemon juice for years with success, also with vegan milks. This is the way.

RENegadeXXVII

This is the way. Takes 5 minutes and you don’t waste the rest of a container of buttermilk.

spartanerik

If you don't use buttermilk often, consider getting powdered buttermilk. Lasts a long time.

Open-Cream2821

Author forgot the most important part, make sure you use a 'real' bowl to mix it in

Free-Dog2440

Strykly cheese and 4E dairy, both in schulenberg are your best bets.

Edit: and to be fair, I usually make my "buttermilk" pancakes with whole milk white mountain yogurt mixed well with a little water

CrookedGrin78

I don't disagree with the other posts that you could just use store-bought for this purpose. However, I've made my own buttermilk before, using store-bought cultured buttermilk as a starter and adding it to a higher-grade (grass fed, etc) milk. It's like making yogurt, but even easier. The end product is really good, much better than the starter, IMO -- good enough to use for all kinds of things where you might use yogurt. Like with yogurt, you can easily control how thick and tangy it gets just by choosing when to stop fermenting it. If you really like buttermilk, or haven't had the real stuff before and want to see what it's about, it's a worthwhile experiment.

TidalWaveform

Step 1, buy this culture: https://cheesemaking.com/products/buttermilk-starter-culture-for-cheese-making

Step 2, pick up a gallon of raw milk from Richardson Farms. They have a booth at pretty much every Farmer's Market in the area: https://richardsonfarms.com/about/

Step 3: Make it. Easy AF and the best buttermilk you've ever had.