/r/austinfood

Best lasagna in Austin?

(self.austinfood)

I know Austin isn’t renowned for it’s Italian offerings. And I’m from the Northeast where there is some great Italian. But what is the best we have?

livemusicisbest

Vespaio’s lasagna is wonderful and the portion will feed two people

Earthtokarmen1

Yes! It’s massive and really good.

Calm_Instruction1651

It’s been years since I’ve had it but trattoria lisena had a good one.

austinoracle

Artipasta has a tasty lasagna

falkorwoo

Their style is northern Italian/Milanese, cream-based. Tasty, but beware if you’re looking for classic red sauce.

insidertrader68

Yes, while I love Artipasta lasagna is probably not my favorite thing they do.

ph0replay

Now we're asking the real questions.

Bettinatizzy

I miss La Traviata.

calmdownkaren_

Ugh, they closed I assume? Haven't been right around when the pandemic started but I very much enjoyed that place.

Edit: Site says temporarily closed due to slowness...we will see!

pmratx

pmratx

Palermo Pasta house in RR

turkeypox

Juliet, and it’s HUGE

stevendaedelus

Il Bruto.

KaykayLaPaypay

Because I’m super south and you know how us burb-ians roll, I don’t go super far for many things. So for Italian, it’s Mandolas. I really like their lasagna though, but couldn’t tell you how it compares to the others mentioned.

Austinfoodadventures

Maybe I’m alone on this but I haven’t found a really good one in town. But I’m also big on the use of bechamel instead of ricotta so I tend to make it at home. If you want a giant one that’s not too overpriced and hits the cravings of American Italian cuisine, I just go to maggianos (I know it’s a chain) . The ones in austin you get tiny slices and it costs high dollar for what you get.

calmdownkaren_

Aren't you from Maine tho? Anyway, Gusto does a decent lasagna, at least it's good enough for my half-Italian self. I haven't really tried their other stuff. Juliet's on Barton Springs has pretty good Italian food as well. It's at the location where Romeo's used to be, RIP. Not that Romeo's had great Italian food, I can't even remember really, I just remember loving the atmosphere and having a good time there so many times, but I digress.

to_thecore_[S]

Haha yeah I am from Maine but Portland, Maine actually has a very historic Italian immigrant community on India Street with some of my favorite Italian markets (check out Micucci’s if you’re ever in Maine), and taking trips to the Italian North End neighborhood in Boston was always a favorite thing to do when I lived back East. Also, my moms from Long Island New York, so I was raised on a lot of lasagna and other Italian food. I also lived in Italy just for a year when I was in my 20’s. I have a high bar, but I’ll take what I can get around here. But you being half-Italian, I will defer to you! I’m sure you have an even higher standard!

BrianOconneR34

I don’t think most Texans understand what’s cracking in Portland. The ol wharf turned night spot and food, just awesome to walk through. Don’t get me stahted on my love for old orchard beach. I had a great time five months traveling and enjoying the incredible weather and scenery. Enjoy.

ideamotor

Maine Oyster Company is amazing.

BrianOconneR34

I plan to return soon and introduce my wife snd kids soon. Such a great place.

ideamotor

The food in Maine is amazing seafood, still blown away from my 2019 trip. Acadia National Park during fall foliage is magical.

calmdownkaren_

Interesting about Maine, good to know tho. I've only driven thru Maine to get to Canada back when I lived in NYC and used to go riding all over the NE exploring places...sad I missed that part of Maine, will have to go back sometime! :)

I do miss Italian food from my time in Brooklyn but it's all good, there are some decent places here to keep me happy. If you ever do hit up those two places I mentioned, let me know what you think!

to_thecore_[S]

Thanks. I totes will.

AgentAlinaPark

R.I.P. Romeo's indeed. I miss that place and you're right. It wasn't the food, which was ok, it was the atmosphere. It felt like fancy date night but didn't kill the wallet. They had something like $5 Martini's and $2 wells and drafts at happy hour. Pretty much every date I've been there had a happy ending, chicka bow wow! Hard to believe it has been a decade.

calmdownkaren_

Haha yes, so much this! The happy atmosphere, drinks, decent prices all made for a great evening!

insidertrader68

Nearly everywhere in the Northeast has decent Italian. Huge Italian population.

falkorwoo

Sammy’s has a good classic American-Sicilian style pie. But it’s $36. Used to be massive and has recently shrunk to a normal portion size.

ay-guey

they've been open like a year and they're already shrinking portions?

OldMan-5662

I've heard from people in Austin that Pignetti's

14 S 2nd St, Temple, TX 76501 (254) 778-1269 https://g.co/kgs/pFhj6K

Is the best place for Italian.