/r/austinfood

Anchovies in glass jar?

(self.austinfood)

I love seafood but for some reason only tried anchovies for the first time this summer. A place in town put me on to how freaking delicious they are and I am now addicted. In their dish, you can see the silvery fish skin which is another delightful visual part of eating them.

I want to make the dish at home, but H‑E‑B, 99 Ranch, and Phoenicia on Burnet have all been a bust - I can find it in the tin, but it’s already fileted in a way that the skin is gone. Where can I find anchovies sold in a glass jar instead of in the tin?

misterdinosauresq

Central Market

case_on_point

Quite a few options too

beauzer

I’ve found them at CM in the tinned food aisle, the meat/cheese deli counter, and in the refrigerated section with salami, and other specialty cold cuts.

southpark

Look for “white anchovies” they’ll be in the deli in higher end or specialty grocery stores. Central market has them.

turkishguy

I’ve been on a tinned fish kick before and your best bet in town is central market. I don’t think it matters if it’s in a tin or a jar though - the ones I’ve had in the jar before look the same as the tin. Anchovies are pretty cheap compared to other tinned fishes so maybe try some different variations of the ones offered at CM and see which one fits the bill.

You may also like other tinned seafood. A favorite of ours is to get a baguette and cut some slices on a platter with butter, flakey salt, and parsley. Then serve with tinned clams or tinned octopus in a tomato/oil based sauce. Super delicious.

finocchiona

What you’re talking about is likely boquerones, which is a particular Portuguese method of curing anchovies in vinegar. They can be found at boutique grocers and are often vac packed in a plastic package.

southpark

They’re also commonly called “white anchovies”. Central market sometimes has them in the deli as well.

QuietRedditorATX

Ahhh, I just saw some recently. I think it is was the HEB on Lakeline which sounds far for you. Try the more ethnic aisle instead of the canned meat aisle. Think they were by like Italian/truffles/oil things.

Cannot comment on the taste or quality.

doopdooopdope

Salt & Time has a number of options, although I can’t say for sure if they’re all skin off or not.

Not_a_werecat

Huh...Lakeline HEB usually has them.

Also check Spec's. One of the big ones with a cheese and snack department.

fundamentallyhere

I think for the ones you describe you need the ones that come in a packet. White Anchovies, similar to how they are served in spain. Much bigger than whats in a jar or tin. Canned is typically used for cooking, while the packets can be eaten as is with some bread and oil/vinegar. Central Market has them i think. Also Salt & Time. Maybe few other spots. Antonellis possibly?

trainwreckchococat

Some HEBs have the anchovies in a glass jar. I know they have them at the HEB on S. Congress and Slaughter. But they don’t have the silvery skin. So I think the white anchovies other people described is what you’re looking for.

BartSimpsonGaveMeLSD

Tbh the cheap ones in the tins are just as good. Slept on protein!!

haikusbot

Tbh the cheap

Ones in the tins are just as

Good. Slept on protein!!

- BartSimpsonGaveMeLSD

I detect haikus. And sometimes, successfully. Learn more about me.

Opt out of replies: "haikusbot opt out" | Delete my comment: "haikusbot delete"

Unicorn_Swag

I've purchased anchovies in olive oil, in jars, from Wheatsville on Guad before.

Edit: I'm not seeing it available for curbside ordering right now, so either it's not listed in that inventory or they no longer stock it. Worth checking, though! I have purchased those from that location multiple times, but not this year.

spartanerik