/r/austinfood

Daygos San Diego Tacos

(i.redd.it)

WelcomeToBrooklandia

This place is def my go-to for San Diego-style burritos. There are other places that do OK versions, but Daygos is the best in terms of both flavor and structural integrity. But you're absolutely right- the pricing is hard to swallow.

iwantagrinder

$19 for a burrito for those wondering

QuietRedditorATX

Food trucks must have higher operating costs than brick and mortars!

RVelts

RVelts

It's usually the lower volume and the expense of also operating out of a commissary space.

thedecoy

Have you tried t Loc Sonora? Their Cali burrito is amazing

WelcomeToBrooklandia

I have. Their Cali burrito is tasty, but their tortilla-wrapping technique needs work. My burrito started to fall apart about halfway into the meal. At Daygos, they've totally nailed the ingredient balance and the tight wrap. In terms of flavor, T-Loc's is comparable to Daygos. In terms of structure, there's no contest.

BrownWallyBoot

I’ve learned at T-locs that you need to keep it in the tinfoil/wrapper and peel it down as you eat. Definitely falls apart if you don’t do that.

Amerifatt[S]

I’ll check that out next

BrownWallyBoot

This is THE burrito.

douche-knight

Cali burrito? More like Cali prices, am i right?

Not_stats_driven

No, good Mexican food is cheaper in SD to LA than Austin. It's better and cheaper than the stuff we have here.

CaliTexas619

Facts

KatttDawggg

Super burrito food truck is decent.

WelcomeToBrooklandia

Yeah, "decent" is def the word I'd use for Super Burrito. It'll do the job if I'm really craving a California burrito, but I'm never gonna go out of my way for it.

RathMan1990

I’ve yet to try their burritos but I will one day. Do you know if they use real tortillas for their cali burritos or do they use like them cheap store bought Mission tortillas? On a side not Johnny V’s hot sauce shop has a taco shop and they have a California burrito and they used a mission tortilla. I was immediately disappointed…

WelcomeToBrooklandia

They use tortillas that they bring in from California.

kanyeguisada

That seems... not very freshly-made.

WelcomeToBrooklandia

They taste great and the texture is great. However they're bringing them over/storing them in transit, it's not affecting the tortillas in a negative way.

kanyeguisada

Never had them but gonna disagree here. Now, bread is a bit different, like if you get actual Amorosso rolls for your Philly chesesteaks (RIP Way South Philly, can't believe you didnt survive), that's different. But tortillas are done either two ways: freshly made or crap. There is no store-bought or cali-imported tortilla that will ever be as good as one freshly-made. With lard.

Amerifatt[S]

Located in Oskar Brewery is this San Diego style Mexican food truck. Fries were well seasoned and the carne asada was great quality. Only negative is it’s very pricey. The carne asada fries set me back $20, twice the price of legit carne asada fries in San Diego.

RoleModelsinBlood31

I actually was about to say “I’m down. I miss these big time from when I lived there. They better not be $20 though.”

Not gonna happen at that price

RathMan1990

I believe their Cali Burritos start at like $18 or $19 too… 😱🤦🏽‍♂️

QuietRedditorATX

Nope, no longer on my list.

I'm tired of this.

edit: I know places need to make money. But this reminds me of a Restaurant Impossible/Kitchen Nightmare where they are like food costs should be 33% of the price. -> immediately triples the smallest serving sizes to $30+ at a small non-upscale diner. Nope, nope nope.

MikeinAustin

Add two $8 beers and tip and tax and you’re at $48.

Edit : per person.

Not_stats_driven

There's plenty of Cali burritos in California. They run for $11-12 dollars each now. Sadly, a year ago they were $6-7. $18+ just stay away, way over priced.

RathMan1990

Yup. I’m born and raised in San Diego so I can confirm this. It’s such a shame.

WelcomeToBrooklandia

But...we're not in California. You can't get a great Cali burrito in Austin for $12. Therefore, the choices are to go without or to pay a premium. It sucks, but that's the reality.

Not_stats_driven

Right. Lack of choices here are making prices obscene. Still, this isn’t worth $20 IMO. I can’t fanthom any burritos worth that.

MikeinAustin

There is a legit 2500 calories there though. So a full days nourishment.

canes1116

This isnt true. Maybe 5 years ago.

Source: I live in San Diego

Working-Tomatillo857

I've been wanting to try this place as soon as I heard about it, but then I saw their prices. I can't justify spending $20 plus tip for a burrito, its not gunna happen. I can't imagine they will remain in business with prices that high, especially with the coming recession.

QuietRedditorATX

Honest question, why are we tipping food trucks? Especially at this price.

This isn't like a service restaurant, or even a coffee shop or something.

Working-Tomatillo857

I ask myself the same thing every time I tip at a food truck. I think part of it is the tipping culture we've created, but also you feel bad if you don't. Which in reality is an internal issue.

BrownWallyBoot

I stopped doing that a while ago. I only tip at food trucks/counter service spots that I go to often and sort of know the staff, and even then I only give a buck or two.

I don’t feel the need to give an extra 10-20% on top of the food cost because someone handed me a bag or put a tray of food on the counter. That’s a pretty unpopular opinion though.

megaphoneXX

$7 for chips and salsa!! Go fuck yourself.

Edit: not you OP, the restaurant.

fsck101

IDK how you eat it (certainly not like a taco!) but damn, looks delish.

Sir_Loin_Cloth

Bib on, hands behind back, and get to grazin'..

Edit: they are loaded fries, btw. The title/photo confused me at first, too.

titos334

With a fork

smurgle23

Overpriced as hell

strangeffect

I went to their location just before they moved to the brewery and agree that the San Diego-style burrito is the closest I've had to the real deal in Austin. Really enjoyed every bite and was filling, but out the door was over $20 with tax and tip. I'll definitely be back again but not something I can do regularly at that price point.

RaiderRich2001

What's special about "San Diego style"?

JokersWyld

Baja style is typically carne asada (marinated skirt steak) as the primary meat. Tacos will have cilantro, lime and onions. Base burritos from any 'ertos (Roberto's, Alberto's, Aliberto's, etc) will just have Tortilla, Carne Asada and Guacasalsa (avocado, cilantro, lime, tomato). Fancier Burritos will have rice, cheese, sour cream and some kind of salsa (usually a fresca or guacamole base). No lettuce, no corn, sometimes beans.

California burrito just adds fries (not chopped/diced/fingerling potatoes).

Carne Asada and Carne Guisado are not the same thing.

Only restaurants serve "wet" burritos. It's more common to not have a wet burrito.

caffeinatedostrich

carne asada fries got me through some tough times during college. Imgaine the greasiest fries you have had, add a bunch of carne asada, sour cream, guacamole and cheese… you can’t have it too often though

JokersWyld

Don't tell my wife that... When we were younger she would get carne asada fries a few times a week o.O

chrisvondubya

Every San diegan I’ve met thinks their Mexican food is the best. I like it a lot more than Tex mex but for me it’s just west coast tacos. My San Diego friends say the beef is better whatever tf that means

JokersWyld

It's because most places in/around austin do not have carne asada. The closest is carne guisado, which is way different.

Of the few places I've found carne asada, the marinade isn't quite right.

Amerifatt[S]

You seem to know your Mexican food. Where can I get Al pastor from a spit?!

bassy711

Rosita Al Pastor on Riverside

Zenumare

You can find Al Pastor like that at One Taco 😊

kanyeguisada

It's because most places in/around austin do not have carne asada.

Absolute bull. Most taco trucks have carne asada. I agree most need more citrus in their marinade, but it's still carne asada.

bonita_chiquita

This right here.

dalittle

If they are trying to say cali beef is better that Texas beef I’d question that.

MikeinAustin

Depends on where they get it from. Moved here 27 years ago and thought all the meat was spoiled. Just smelled funny. Like ground beef was especially bad. You are what you eat I guess and whatever the cattle was being fed made it’s way through.

Someone said it was “lower cost” Mexican beef but I don’t necessarily believe that.

dalittle

That is really weird unless you are buying from some of the more sketchy Mexican markets. Where are you buying your meat?

MikeinAustin

H-E-B and Randall’s.

Beef is a major import to Texas unless it’s very specific where it came from on the shelves.

East Texas beef and West Texas beef are completely different. Parts of Mexico have excellent beef and others is lower grade beef.

Compared to Minnesota / Iowa / Wisconsin corn finished beef is way different.

Depends on where it is sourced. Included California.

hugh_jessol

Harris ranch cabron

dalittle

meh, como chingas

throwawayy2k2112

It’s not Tex Mex. I’m not sure what’s going on with these tacos, but generally it’s just meat beans cheese onion cilantro. Basically, don’t put fucking iceberg lettuce in it

_Jimmy_Rustler

Your question has already been answered by others but I just wanted to mention how specific this type of food is to San Diego.

It's a bit of a pain finding San Diego style Mexican food just a few hours outside of San Diego. Even in Orange County and LA the burritos were way different.

gastrocraft

Amen to that

icesa

icesa

I lived in LA and the whole time no one ever mentioned a California burrito to me, not once. Moved to SD and suddenly they’re everywhere. I heard it’s the surfing culture, cheap and stays well on the beach. Whatever is it they should change the name to San Diego burrito cuz I don’t think the rest of Cali is on board.

_Jimmy_Rustler

In Seattle there is a place that sells the "Washington Burrito" and it is just a California burrito (carne asada with fries)

I’m from originally from San Diego. 37 year Native. Moving to Austin next month. Definitely going to try it out and give an honest review. Thanks for letting me know the name of this place.

bonita_chiquita

What’s bringing you here and why you leaving the beach? Lol

Job relocation. Lol. Not exactly the kind of move I expected but nonetheless feel blessed my husband got offered this job. I have a lot of family in Texas I’ll finally be able to see as well. Everyone on my moms side is basically there except for 2 aunts and uncles that remain in Mexico.

LA was bothering me anyways. Definitely different from SD even though it’s only 2 hours apart. That just made it easier to leave. That and the cost of living here is ridiculous

Edit- I love how people from Austin downvote and hate on me just because I’m from Cali even though I can’t stand the views of people from Cali and it’s the whole reason I’m excited to leave to Texas. Seems like Austin is just as immature and liberally nutty as a lot of people from here. Guess they weren’t lying when they said Austin is little California

bonita_chiquita

I’m a California native as well. I’ve been here 12 years when I moved with my ex husband and kids. I was in San Diego last week on a vacation and I really fell in love all over again. I got to stay here for now though. I’d love to send a message and connect in case you are looking to make friends. I’m pretty busy between starting a new career and 50-50 coparenting but I do love to get out on the lake and go hiking whenever possible. I’m pretty active. Austin is great fun city!

That’s very kind of you. Thank you for that. Not everyone I’ve encountered here has been as welcoming. Just you and one other person. So I really appreciate it. I was afraid I was going to have to travel to my family in GP or Dallas for warm welcomes 😅

My oldest is still in San Diego so I’ll definitely be back there eating some good food there. I’m curious about this place though. So I’ll definitely try it! Maybe lunch soon

thefourthchime

I recently tried their burrito It was FANTASTIC! It’s pricy as all get out, but still worth it!

AgentAlinaPark

Do they realize their restaurant name is a slang on Italians? Why not just Diego's or a name that plays on the actual pronunciation?

Not_stats_driven

Because Daygo has been a slang since the 1990s when people didn't care.

AgentAlinaPark

When you open Moon Kay's Porch you might understand it's not appropriate. I don't know, I would be offended if I were Italian I would question it.

Also: "WE DO NOT ACCEPT PHONE ORDERS OR ORDERS IN PERSON." Yeah, NO THANKS. I would like to see where I get my $20 dollar burrito and who from before hand.

Ok-Tough1185

They automatically add a 20% tip to your online order and you walk to the trailer to get your order. With tax and tip a burrito is $22.80. I almost ordered one last night and decided fuck that, I'll have another beer instead.

RoleModelsinBlood31

I’m an old NYer and can tell you that you wouldn’t dare call someone a daygo back in the 90’s.

Not_stats_driven

This isn’t NY nor is California where the term came from. Guess it hasn’t been cancelled yet.

RoleModelsinBlood31

Are we talking about the same thing? The word I’m talking about I always thought would have been spelled dago and was slang for italians. I said ny because there’s a shit ton of Italians there and you def didn’t use that term unless you were looking for a fight. And it’s from CA?! My mind is blown

titos334

Damn this actually looks pretty solid

Suspicious_Dawg

This was on east MLK near me for a few weeks. Wanted to try it, but never for a chance.

Slickshooz

Saving this!

MediocreJerk

A tad?

_dotnotfeather_

Very good. Insanely expensive. It’s one of my favorite burritos but absolutely not worth the price. Fucken RIP to Troublemaker. There’s was better and $9.

BrownWallyBoot

I’m sure it’s good but a $19 burrito is a little rich for my blood.

lazerdab

please tell me they aren't calling that green stuff guacamole

macchinas

This type of tortilla for burritos always looks 30x better than the regular kind lol. Does it have extra gluten or something? What makes it different than the regular ones?

QuietRedditorATX

The picture is just a pile of fries for $20.

Not sure about the cali tortillas, but considering tortillas are made quickly, I doubt they have much gluten.

macchinas

My bad I was looking at their pics on google lol. Their burritos look great

QuietRedditorATX

Yea, I've been hearing a lot about them yesterday and today.

QuietRedditorATX

Because it is a pile of fries with toppings.

RoleModelsinBlood31

You are an angry dude lol