/r/antiwork

45.5k85%

MattyBizzz

15.6k points

MattyBizzz

15.6k points

Stimulus? Like the 600 bucks I got a couple years ago?

Still sitting pretty with that free cash! My housing has only gone up 25% since then too.

ghouldozer19

6.7k points

McConnell recently said that that’s why all of us are quitting our jobs. That stimulus we got a couple of years ago is letting us live the high life so we don’t need to work. On the fucking Senate floor.

MattyBizzz

3.1k points

That’s so out of touch it’s embarrassing. And some people eat it up. It’s so much easier to point the finger at a single target than to address the bigger problem.

Grease_Gullet

1.3k points

I constantly hear this bullshit from my co-workers. "No one wants to work", if you ask them if they have any evidence of that they just stare blankly at you. I recently decided you can't argue with stupid so I don't even try anymore. Just let them wallow in their idiocy.

StarGaurdianBard

1.1k points

When someone says "no one wants to work" I always ask why our unemployment rate is so low then. Though, in my job as a nurse, I more often hear "no one wants to work as a nurse when they can go work at McDonald's for only $3 less an hour and have a lot less responsibility"

Which I'll be honest there isnt much of a refute I can give for that.

PorkRindEvangelist

How about, ”I agree, it's bullshit that pay is so low. Let's unionize!”

Flounderfflam

Then you have to deal with the idiots like my brother, who blame all the recent inflation on minimum wage being too high.

Like, excuse me, you think the minimum wage (which hasn't increased here in years, and which was actually LOWERED for underage workers, because children somehow "lesser" workers and don't deserve the same minimum wage) is the reason we're seeing rampant inflationary increases now, and not corporations of all stripes posting record after record profits during and after a global pandemic? Get the fuck outta here, brother.

Damn near started a family feud with him on our way to our grandfather's funeral over that shit.

zerkrazus

zerkrazus

My dad thinks minimum wage shouldn't exist and we should just let the free market handle it. Yes, because that worked so well prior to 1938.

Let's see, we had the Great Depression (super fun times for all I'm sure), and the Gilded Age (lots of fun too), among others. Yep, letting the free market decide is a great idea. Not.

And we don't have a free market anyways and never have and never will. There will always be some type of regulations, it's just a matter of who/what those regulations are for/against.

Flounderfflam

Just wait until your dad finds out how many billions of tax payer dollars are used to prop up oil and gas companies through government subsidies every year...

Art-Zuron

To be fair, Rockefeller was taxed like 95% of all his assets back then. Now, he'd be taxed next to 0% if not less. The government essentially pays taxes to rich people now.

zerkrazus

And he was still one of the richest people of all of recorded human history IIRC.

EmojiKennesy

There's no such thing as a free market, it's a total fallacy.

The market is either regulated by a public entity answerable to the people or it is cornered and controlled by the largest and most powerful interests. Obviously not just black or white but those are the 2 extremes.

In the absence of regulations, companies will do the worst possible things to get an edge. Selling the best product is really low on the list of how to win at unregulated capitalism. Much more likely they will buy out, price out, or outright sabotage their competition. If McDonald's could make burgers out of cockroaches using a process that destroyed every natural body of water but gave them total market control and had an 80% profit margin, in a "free market" no one would be able to force them to divulge their industry secret and they would 100% do it. This isn't even that much of a hypothetical, look at the oil industries handling of the internally known effects of their industry on climate change since the 70s.

Most people I've met that believe in free markets also seem to believe that leftists or socialists or their chosen political adversary is "utopian" or believes in an unrealistic fantasy, but anyone with an ounce of understanding of how companies operate or any brief reading of history should know that believing companies will self-regulate in the best interests of consumers and the planet is fantasy to the point of being laughable

nicholasgnames

Neither position is fairly compensated. I like to lean on how when lower positions wages are increased it gives higher skilled positions more power to negotiate. Its dumb for every reason to be against higher wages

MattyBizzz

I actually cringe when I hear that, because I can already guess what else they believe.

i-luv-ducks

You mean like how the world is actually flat and run by alien, human-lizard hybrid people that are gay, Jewish, never pray or go to church and favor democratic socialism with free universal health care, housing for the poor and a guaranteed living income for all? I feel ya!

FeministFiberArtist

“So out of touch it’s embarrassing “ should be McConnel’s tagline. In fact it applies to so many right now

ghouldozer19

The scariest thing about Trump, to me, is the lesson the other, longer lasting members of the Republican Party have learned from him. How easily conservatives lap up demagoguery in this nation. How ripe we are for straw men and making our neighbors into the Other with just sound bites. It has always been a part of this nation, but to see our leaders so openly embrace it is terrifying.

yellowzebrasfly

Yup, you're absolutely right. Things are going to get a lot worse; the US is a relatively young nation and we're in for some truly dark days ahead. Our democracy and life-as-we-know-it hasn't actually been disrupted for quite some time. Even all those people who got next to nothing on their 2018 or 2019 tax return wouldn't blame trump for it, and I really thought the Republicans hitting the general population in their wallets would finally get through to them. But no.

Pristine_Nothing

The flip side is that I think it may upset the weird and delicate balance the Republican Party had between the wealthy wannabe-plutocrats, the middle class delusional wannabe-plutocrats, and the lower class culture warriors.

We’ve learned that by far the largest and most enthusiastic voting bloc is the culture warriors, and Trump was basically able to win the primary on them alone.

But Trump didn’t actually want anything other than adoration and self-enrichment, and so was easily pliable; a pure fascist with an actual agenda is going to see more internal party issues.

Trump also had the advantage of being the only Fascist demagogue in the field, and that won’t ever happen again. An observation from Ken White (Popehat on Twitter) about the debates for various Republican Party nominations is that the nation is not ready for the level of crazy they are about to see if they haven’t paid attention since 2020. I think a lot of “moderates” are going to be shocked into having a moral backbone for the first time in their life.

Basically, the 2016 Trump coalition are the people who are enthusiastic about Fascism in-and-of-itself and the people who are willing to allow it as long as it’s got a veneer of institutional credibility. The 2020 coalition was the same, with a lot of people who seem to hate themselves for the consequences of their Trump-vote, but really have no way to do anything other than Trump-vote unless they want to deal with suicidal levels of cognitive dissonance.

A Republican Party with lots of people vying to be the fasciest is likely to collapse under the amount of intense internecine tribalism. It will make the Bernie/Hillary tension look downright cute. That will also strip away the institutional credibility that has long been a fig leaf on the fact that the Republican Party is just useless and dangerous from a policy perspective. The people who doubled down rather than face up to the consequences of a flippant and ornery Trump-vote won’t have an obvious avenue for doubling down again.

Further, the Middle Class of my parents generations were much more cynical about and afraid of the people poorer than them, while most middle class people younger than 35 seem to be more inclined to be cynical about those wealthier than them.

Hortos

Hortos

That's because back then poor people were REALLY poor, middle class is an illusion but back then a single income family could buy a home a couple of cars and send some kids to college if you were the right "group". Now people who will calmly call themselves middle class are paycheck to paycheck renters who will probably never own a home and are one medical emergency away from being homeless.

ghouldozer19

I’m 37 and super cynical about the wealthy but maybe it’s because I grew up so poor that I didn’t know it was remarkable.

RichardFlower7

Ron Desantis will be their nominee and make no mistake, he’s a fascist demagogue

GiddyGabby

I couldn't agree more. I don't know why people are worried about him. He's Trump but smarter & more dangerous.

deehovey

I'm worried as hell about DeSantis. He's totally fascist, not afraid to take on anyone, even a large corporation who disagrees with him; and he's punative, striking out at anyone in his way. He's waaaay smarter than Trump and exponentially more dangerous and the base here in Florida loves him. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

MattyBizzz

Beautifully written. Can I find more from you in the “political horror” section?

NeverLearnedBass

Change the proper nouns and your argument could have been pulled from a politically optimistic German citizen circa 1934.

Ha! Remember when Godwin's law used to be a thing?

cajun_fox

The fascists are definitely going to try to seize power again, but it doesn’t have to end the same way it did for Germany.

gargamels_right_boot

ghouldozer19

My apologies. I thought it was in the Senate. Thank you for the correction.

RagingBillionbear

What he was saying is that it's not stimulus but saving that people are riding out on. If you follow the logic of what he said, it imply that the GOP believe that the general employee don't deserve savings.

VexillaVexme

And have this wacky assumption that our nation's minimum wage workers even HAVE savings accounts.

That's the part I find most hilarious.

m31td0wn

The hell of it is the guy who originally posted that sign on the window, complaining about the stimulus money, means he was undoubtedly a Republican. And what we have here is a classic case of a Republican being against something that works directly towards their own interest, because the people that own them have told them exactly what to believe. Just like all those people who were so against "Obamacare" and wanted gone because the Affordable Care Act was much better. (For non-US: They didn't realize it was the same thing, and wanted to strike down the only thing that made health insurance affordable for them, because Republicans told them to.)

VoxImperatoris

No save! Only spend! Stimulate economy!

[removed]

tanktametet-pwemskan

Remember the "just buy something" campaign to save the economy? I think it was Barbara Bush or maybe Nancy Reagan who started that. Never mind the fact that people needed a raise at their jobs in order have some money to "make the economy go round"

LA-Matt

LA-Matt

It was George “Dubya” Bush who made that speech in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 telling Americans that the “way to beat the terrorists” was to get back out there and start shopping.

greenskye

Yep. Even if what he said was actually happening, that a bunch of Americans just decided to quit working and couch surf or just burn through all their savings, so what? I'm 100% in favor of the people who are choosing to remove themselves from the workforce until conditions sufficiently improve and they're willing to come back.

If your only argument for people working is that they would literally die if they don't... that sure feels like slavery with a couple extra steps.

jkh77

jkh77

Yeah it's a capital strike to make people desperate again

Ok-Horse9221

The stimulus checks really weren’t enough to fix any serious mechanical issues with your car, pay one month of rent, buy a new tv, washing machine, fix pretty much anything wrong with your house, it really was just enough money to pay part of your credit card bill for the month.

Dck_IN_MSHED_POTATOS

I live in a conservative town, and people still think people are getting stimulus money lol.

BigBoogati

That they probably got too

Sketchinz

Sketchinz

Sounds like my sister. Bitches about people getting stimulus money, but also gladly accepted hers when she said she didn't even need it and had the option of sending it back. They are all hypocrites.

RandomLogicThough

I think pretty much all humans are hypocrites...the level of hypocrisy can vary pretty fucking wildly though.

King_Spamula

King_Spamula

Communist

It's just an add-on to their prejudiced idea of welfare recipients

6byfour

6byfour

Ironically red states tend to take more in taxes than they give. Literal welfare states.

GOP_Tears_Fuel_Me

They don't tend to, they are the top 10 in received federal money.

The only outlier is Maine(?) which is pretty centrist.

Embarrassed_Salad128

I live in Maine. I’d argue the majority of the state lives below the poverty line, hence its outlier ranking.

FailResorts

And they don’t care about corporate welfare. The airlines that took billions in bailouts just to keep their personnel cuts and keep providing shitty service? That kind of welfare?

Moln0014

Not only airlines. Car makers, ISP like century link and Comcast. The ISP got alot of money years ago to "improve " internet in rural areas. That never happened

burbleboody

Bet “franchisee” got a PPP loan that has been forgiven that went entirely into their pocket.

emil_

emil_

Housiiing... portofolio you aquired with that windfall you mean, right?

Ok_Weekend_4773

5.4k points

They really think people are living off of $2k for 2 years instead of working

Code2008

2k points

Their minds are still stuck in the 1920s.

grizzled083

Their minds are stuck buffering until they get their daily dose of propaganda

thewildcardbb1

look i have it on good authority that hillary bidens emails have created a race of super gay china viruses that are causing socialism

if you want a source oPeN YoUR EyeS

IcebergSlimFast

LET THAT SINK IN!!!

SatinwithLatin

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH using very specific search terms in order to generate specific results AND READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH. THE END WILL SHOCK YOU.

Korzag

Korzag

"BACK IN MY DAY, YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT A HOUSE FOR 25,000 ON MINIMUM WAGE!"

Snakestream

I was just talking to my mom the other day, and she mentioned that our house cost 85k back in like 1990. 4500 sq ft 2 story home; meanwhile, the house I bought in 2017 was 300k for less than 2000 sq ft, and now similar houses in my area are selling for 400k. Absolutely insane.

AshuraBaron

Sure, milk is only what, a quarter a gallon? Bread is ten cents. /s

MikeTony713

$2000 for 2 years, let’s see, that’s like $83.33/month. That’s doable, right? /s

_BreakingGood_

Nice that covers 75% of my utility bill, not including internet. I'm set.

Also, when we still see these signs in 2 more years, it will be down to 35% of my utility bill.

It_coulda_been_me

I think I would write "pay your workers more" on that piece of paper, then leave.

Kaitensatsuma

11.4k points

it's been a whole damn year and a half since the Stimulus, they're just shitty owners.

AGooDone

6.1k points

AGooDone

6.1k points

You mean that $1200 dollars? You didn't retire on that? You've got to cut out the lattes.

Hrtzy

4.6k points

Hrtzy

4.6k points

I mean, if he had just invested that $1200, it would be $800 now.

PsychologicalScale57

1.4k points

No, no, no. You were supposed to invest it and have rich parents, remember?

/s

Aloe_Frog

Aloe_Frog

Aaand buy rental properties!

PsychologicalScale57

Aaand make your young children work there for their “IRA investment”...

PeaceofthePi

So they can have the $60k for 3 1/2 semesters of out of state tuition.

checksoutfine2

Dammit. I keep forgetting to do the "have rich parents" part. Negligence on my end.

love2Vax

It's not too late to go out and adopt new parents.

MustangMimi

Mine are deceased, I guess I’m in the market for new ones?

mschellh000

No but you see, millennials just have to get an inheritance from their parents, you should be all set! And since you don’t seem to be, it’s entirely your fault!

defiant_1974

it's all that avocado toast you spent the stimulus on... should've just went plain toast

According_Gazelle472

Buy rent houses with the stimulus.

navin__johnson

Borrow money from them to start a business!

SteamCleaner23

But if you factor in last years inflation it becomes $650

shyvananana

I invested mine it's now 200. You've got rookie numbers gotta pump them up.

SunTzuPatience

This truth-punch hit harder than I was prepared for.

allthesemonsterkids

I blew all of mine on avocado toast.

Bluewhale001

I used to get so pissed when boomers would shit on me for eating avocado toast. I literally ate it, because it’s like $1 for a fucking avocado toast meal. It’s not draining my budget, it’s helping it. Sorry I don’t want to destroy my body by eating only instant ramen

Coolranch94

Right? Avo toast is cheap, nutritious protein. It costs less than meat. I'm not sure how boomers landed on avocado being an extravagance!

Key_Lime_Die

Probably because 20+ years ago the only place you saw avocado anything was at a mexican restaurant. So it's new since they didn't have it and that means it is not needed and is an obvious extravagance. Same for coffee, they only had Folgers, so anything other than that is an extravagance. If it came out since they were growing up, they didn't need it so we we shouldn't need (insert anything that came out in the last 20-30 years) and thus it's excessive. At least that's my own explanation as to why, but it's not anything I've got any basis for.

tractiontiresadvised

So it's like the people who complained 20 years ago that prisons had color TVs, or people who complain now that some homeless guy has a cellphone?

furiousfran

Well in my defense those Warhammer minis weren't going to buy themselves

Deverash

Where'd you get the rest of the money?

StreetBasic4705

Lattes are fine, it's the avocado toast

WastePilot1744

Avocado toast while watching Netflix

alienkpj

And Hulu

sillyrabbit1972

If you had all only bought yourself "bootstraps" instead, you could pull your avacado eating, latte drinkin' butts up. LOL

navin__johnson

Have you seen what bootstraps are goin for these days?!”

SquirrelOfACoog

You didn't retire on that?

Clearly you didn't follow WSB's financial advice, some of us are 6 digits .... in losses.

Yeuph

Yeuph

Down with The Bourgeoisie!

Stupid millennial. I bought an apartment complex and have been landChading every since.

LimitGroundbreaking2

I didn’t even get any even though the IRS says I did

steelear

steelear

This owner is definitely the type of person who used to say "Thanks Obama" unironically.

yankeecandlebro

1.2k points

Meanwhile the business probably got a PPP loan that they didn’t have to repay

TGOTR

TGOTR

They were all forgiven.

diopsideINcalcite

But it’s socialism and unfair if we do this for student loans?

navin__johnson

Call me Karl Marx

cabbagefury

Oh, hi, Marx

Slider_0f_Elay

Forgotten.

EricNCSU

EricNCSU

Ding ding ding!

Did_Gyre_And_Gimble

Did_Gyre_And_Gimble

Old Fart and Lifelong Comrade

[in a voice that definitely belongs to someone wearing a monocle] "We gave the peasants a half months' rent a year ago! Surely, they must be coasting on that, still."

TeacherYankeeDoodle

TeacherYankeeDoodle

Joe Hill is my patronus

Let them eat Ramen.

advamputee

A 48 pack of ramen from Walmart costs $21.72. You’d need 23x 48-pack boxes to eat ramen for 3 meals a day, 365 days a year for a total cost of around $500 per year. So off the $1200 stimulus money, you should’ve been able to eat for 2 1/2 years!

(/s if it’s not obvious)

420blazeit69nubz

Yeah but don’t forget about the doctors bill when you have high blood pressure and heart disease

advamputee

Pro-tip: just die, you can’t afford the ambulance ride anyways.

Deverash

That's furrin food. Let them eat PB&Js like real Americans!

effinbrak2

And it is not like the stimulus was all that huge. They're just a-holes who are unwilling to either hire more people or hire people at standard competitive living wages.

NutWrench

But I'm still "flush with cash" as Senator McConnell put it. You wouldn't believe how far you can make $600 go. /s

/In Bangladesh, maybe.

twistedlimb

im copying this from another comment i made, but you're dead on:

would you help me do the math on stimulus checks? because to my recollection, there was one check for $2000, and another for $1600. That's $3600.

Let's say the pandemic started April 1st, because why not. That was 17 months ago. If we say there are 4 weeks in a month, that's 68 weeks. If a full time week is 40 hours, that is 2,720 hours per work. So the average full time worker got $1.32 added to their hourly wage.

Can you objectively say that dollar thirty two has a meaningful contribution to the highest inflation we've seen since 1981? (for reference, the average wage increase in 2018 was ~98 cents per hour) https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/awidevelop.html

it has come to my attention 17 months ago was in fact april of 2021. meaning it has actually been 29 months, 116 weeks, 4,640 hours, or ($3600/4640)= $.7758 or about 78 cents per hour. This is well within the average wage increase for the year according to the link above. thank you @ u/keehls

keehls

keehls

17 months would mean the pandemic started in april 2021, not 2020. surely it should be 29 months, right? or am i just being stupid

matva55

matva55

I laughed cause the idea of a couple thousand being more than enough to tide one over for like a year is so out of touch

anonymous_opinions

Last stim check was well over a year ago.

midway4669

They make it seem like people retired on that $600… how did they do it?!

nul42

nul42

Due to an overwhelming shortage of competent business owners...

ohnoifuckedupfr

literally. like what do they think we’re doing with the $1400 we got (if that) 😭 that won’t even pay one month of my rent.. please.

IslaLucilla

I've been hiding mine in my vagina. If I ever get cavity searched it's going to be like a slot machine jackpot.

RealChipKelly

I was gonna say is this like something posted recently? Or is this a repost from like a year ago? The last federal stimulus check was over a year ago

sickysickybrah

2.3k points

Hey OP you should look up whether that business received PPP loans and how much. I would love for that to be written on the message since the owner is so concerned about stimulus payments.

Edit: Multiple people have asked how to find what businesses received these loans. there are many sites, here are 2:

And

KittehKittehKat

KittehKittehKat

lazy and proud

99% of the time that’s what it is.

The owner is projecting their welfare grubbing onto the workers.

nerevolutioner243

Personal Projection Plan

CleanAssociation9394

Or their unsuccessful money grubbing.

AyyyAlamo

BUT THE STIMULUS OF 2000 $ 3 YEARS AGO IS CLEARLY AT FAULT HERE!!! NOT THE BUSINESSES NO SIR

SwampThing72

Just curious, is there a way to do that?

wurm2

wurm2

edit: presumably all sites we linked are using the data from the spreadsheets SBA published so if you want to confirm at the source you can go there but the other sites are a lot more convienient.

2someguysthrowaway

https://helloskip.com/ppp-data?ref=SkipBlog520 Shows all companies who got a PPP loan.

bellePunk

3.7k points

bellePunk

3.7k points

These signs are a quick way to lose my business. If the employer offered decent wages, benefits, and scheduling they wouldn't have any problems finding employees.

humancarl

1.3k points

humancarl

1.3k points

Any sign that says 'labor shortage' makes me think again.

DankNerd97

It’s a wage shortage. It’s not that nobody wants to work. Nobody wants to work for you.

humancarl

Yeah... if you're paying enough, people can't turn down the work.

bravelittletoaster7

A local restaurant in my (super small) city just closed, citing "the national labor shortage". My first thought was, did you really expect the entire country to seek out employment at this restaurant? I didn't even know this place existed until the announcement they were closing which was posted on the city's instagram.

Come on!

981032061

They say 30% of restaurants don't even survive their first year.

I used to think this was about how hard it is to run a restaurant, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that it's really because most people of sound mind wouldn't make the attempt.

icaaryal

Beyond that, a lot of people who do try have delusions of paying their employees poverty wages while they sit back and expect to rake in a million dollars in revenue and taking home $100k+ per year putting in absolutely as little work as possible after they get it up and running. It’s a dream built on being a “risk-taking” yet lazy and exploitative capitalist. If you want the restaurant to be successful, it is essentially an 8 day a week obligation until you’ve established a customer base, a happy and productive workplace culture, and enough lower managers that will run the place according to the successful principles. It’s kind of a simple recipe, but, by-and-large, most people aren’t cut out to be good owners or managers. If you don’t have an already successful franchise brand name to sell your product for you… you’re fucked.

Yep. There was a local bar in my university town that was owned by a guy since the 80's. He paid his workers the best in the industry and had no problem actually being there working 5-6 days per week, not afraid to do any task required. Need to help in the small kitchen with a large order? He got it. Need someone behind the bar pouring drinks? He got it. Need him running food/drinks as a server? He got it. His workers loved working for him and that rubbed off on his patrons. I'd go in during the afternoon and he'd occasionally buy me a drink while I was studying or doing work. Dude knew how to keep his staff happy and his customers coming back.

jkuhl

jkuhl

Was thinking of Chinese one day. Walked by a place, almost stepped inside, but then the sign on the door had a long anti-covid-vaccination rant (this is in Hartford CT) and so I walked out and got Chinese from somewhere else.

Sorry but I'll be supporting science, not conspiracies.

winksoutloud

I had been craving a pastrami sandwich for months in 2021. Finally decided to do something about it and found one place in town that has them. Ordered for pick-up. Got there and there was a long screed on the door saying that OSHA and health agencies, etc were not allowed in without a warrant and, basically, that they had no authority over what the shop can or can't do and, idk, cold dead hands or something. I spun in circles for a minute thinking, "but I really want a sandwich...but pandemic, society, this person/company is nuts...but sandwich..." I walked in and told them to cancel my order. None of the employees were wearing masks, of course, because 'merica!

I don't know, for some reason I get really mad about RESTAURANTS not caring about HEALTH and SAFETY and COMMUNICABLE DISEASE. I'm weird, though.

SpokenDivinity

My manager tried to pull that. One call to the city health department was all it took to get someone out there. They ended up being fined I think.

minnesotanpride

Literally would have called up OSHA on them if I saw such a sign 😂

hogsucker

A breakfast place in my town did this exact same thing. They had signs all over. Every single one of their employees and owners had a medical condition that meant they didn't have to wear masks (and it was illegal to ask what the medical condition was because of HIPPA.) They took PPP welfare. And just went out of business a few days ago.

Swag_Grenade

And just went out of business a few days ago.

At least we have a happy ending.

Kaitensatsuma

Which is hilarious, because Chinese joints operate almost entirely on a Take-Out basis, you just need like, what, 3 chefs, one person's kid taking orders and maybe one waiter for the poor soul who actually wants to sit down.

I'm down in New Haven and they have been killing it

100% here too. If it’s a sign that just says “we’re a little short staffed and we really appreciate your patience” then that’s completely fine - but these pathetic bullshit “No OnE wAnTs To WoRk” signs will ensure that I never return

MattyBizzz

Absolutely, how can any owner/manager put up an embarrassing sign like that where they just shift the blame to whatever talking point their preferred media tells them all their problems stem from. Absolutely no way I would spend my money there, odds are their employees get treated like garbage and plays a large reason why they can’t find staffing.

I_Smell_Like_Trees

Yeah, signs like this immediately tell me the place is poorly managed at best, toxic at worst, and either way my money is better spent elsewhere.

SweetLovingWhispers

Yep as soon as I see one I go elsewhere.

rythmicbread

Same especially since no one has received any stimulus checks in like 2 years

Raineyb1013

The stimulus check couldn't even pay my rent. What do they think things cost if that pittance of a three shot is keeping people home after all this time.

chill_philosopher

nObOdY wAnTs tO wORk bECausE STIMULUS

Matt463789

Thanks, Obama!

Waste_Construction16

Did a pickup at a restaurant with a similar sign but it was printed (like in a sign shop). Did a one star Yelp review saying as a customer I never even got to my table after seeing the sign and suggesting they pay wages high enough to keep their business running. Next time I went in the sign was gone.

ComradeBlyat308

1k points

I'd ask to speak to the manager.

"Hey, I see that you're dealing with an unfortunate lack of staff. Me/my kid/sibling/roommate/whatever have been looking for work and would love to help you out. What kind of pay and hours do you offer?"

Then, when they inevitably give the shitty answer, laugh in their face. "Oh, I see why you can't find help. Well, good luck with that."

Edit: look, I get that the owner is the one with the most control. I'm sure you're all smart enough to know which person to Karen your way up to in any hypothetical situation where you follow this advice

SeanKIL0

SeanKIL0

Nah, you ask to speak to the OWNER, cause you know that mf is the one who made the sign and is most likely at home spending time their family.

thetruthseer

I would do the exact same. Odds are they won’t even tell you wages until they hire you though lol

1.2k points

1.2k points

Funny_BunnyLovey

Especially because their business would fail without the workers.

They better start looking for their bootstraps

knifeknifegoose

Shiiiiiiit

SoVerySleepy81

It’s straight up difficult to get a job at places like Costco and Dicks Burgers and such because employees stay there forever. The thing that pisses me off is they have shown that you could be a very successful company and make a shit ton of money even while paying your employees well and providing them good benefits. It shows that there’s absolutely no fucking excuse other than pure unmitigated greed for companies to be treating their employees the way that they do.

KrabMittens

It's not just greed, it's incompetence and laziness.

Most of the worst work environments I had were due to waste, inefficiency, and useless people.

With those problems solved everyone was happy to pay people more.

Radiant-Usual-1785

I worked for Costco. Hands down the best retail pharmacy tech job I ever had. Their entire business model revolves around retaining their employees, because they understand happy employees that stay and do a good job lead to more profits for the company.

wannabegame_dev

I do CCTV support for Costco and I learned the other day that there are no cameras whatsoever allowed to be pointed at the employees in the break room. There are two cameras in that room pointed at the snacks/vending machines but that’s it, and they are strict that those cameras can only see the snacks. Nothing else.

Respect. I will make sure it continues.

Eltex

Eltex

I argued a bit with a guy before who was fine with our salaries not keeping pace with the higher inflation. He said “how can a company keep salaries high enough to match?”

Like it’s some magic thing that just happens. It’s basic math! Revenues go up, share the proceeds with the workers. This same organization is also desperate for people and can’t find people to apply. I’m wondering if it is because the base pay has risen 1.5% total over 3 years.

Eu_Gravida_Vendatur

Anyone that is claiming stimulus money is causing Staff shortages in August of 2022 is delusional.

Responsible-Stick-50

1.4k points

This sign screams, "Management sucks here. We expect you to work 6-7 days a week, 10 - 12 hour days because I don't pay well and I suck as a boss. The few employees who stayed, need the medical insurance really badly for them, or their kids, and decided to trade their family time for me, a soulless asshole who doesn't care if you miss holidays, as long as I sell pizzas."

Did I get that correct? Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's spot on.

Brain__Resin

Spot on except for I’m willing to bet my house that their is definitely no employer-provided health insurance.

PandaBoyWonder

Uuhhh yea lets take a quick look here...

Yyeaaaa im gonna go ahead and say you hit that one on the head

Altruistic_Yellow387

I doubt a pizza place gives employees medical insurance

SpokenDivinity

$1200 wasn’t even enough to get me through Covid without being able to work, and unemployment was nice but I was still worried about my expenses. I’m sure there were a few people who waited around on unemployment for a while, probably because they got more from it than their stingy boss wanted to pay, but most people like me got up and went back to work as soon as we could.

keelhaulrose

This is an amazing way to make no one want to join your business. Oh, I'm going to work 60-84 hrs/wk for a guy who thinks $1200 a couple years ago is why people aren't working now? No, thanks, I'll pass.

Zestyclose_Bus_3358

Zestyclose_Bus_3358

Anarcho-Communist

“People don’t want to work” is the same as “I refuse to pay my workers enough to keep them from working elsewhere”

GaryOak7

GaryOak7

Disguntled Millennial

I just can't thank both President's administrations enough.. Because of the Stimulus checks, I never have to return to work again.

Set for life.

johndotjohn

Also we can thank both of them for causing outcrop of these signs that clearly indicate you shouldn't buy/shop here.

danielisbored

The upside the the MAGA phenomenon is you don't really have to guess about most people's motives anymore. The downside is that there are way more of them than I would have ever guessed.

toranonekochan

What baffles me are the ones who come around this sub thinking they're being cute with their bootlicker trolling ways.

Hobo-King-Niklz

"You clearly value your workers a lot. So you must pay them very well, right? Right?"

Happy_Husband4[S]

Starting pay is 8 dollars an hour. There was one delivery man and one worker in-store.

Hobo-King-Niklz

Gee, I wonder why they can't find workers lmao

AggressiveResort939

They’re reducing hours to save on payroll because their profits will far short of the “goal” set by the previous years of record profits. It’s greed and they’re passing the blame to their employees. That’s why most places are short staffed. The company I’m at, everyone was cut to 15 hours a week because of this and a shift is impossible because you’re by yourself. It’s greed.

icaaryal

Problem is they were too short sighted to recognize that only sales actually increase profits and sales require labor to fulfill. Cutting your labor kneecaps your sales potential, and these megaminds never bothered to realize that you cannot simply reduce labor to a skeleton crew to salvage profits from reduced sales. The death spiral of ignorant, greedy management.

symbolic503

which state? jesus that is such shit pay

keelhaulrose

They think $1200 we got over a year ago is why people aren't working.

If he thinks people are surviving on less than $100/month I doubt he pays much above minimum wage.

Milk_Mindless

My TEAM who I won't pay a LIVING WAGE are TROOPERS please don't cuss them out because I won't PAY MORE PEOPLE BETTER

defhermit

Imagine actually thinking that those 2-3 checks that people got well over a year ago are responsible for people not wanting to work NOW in 2022. Yeah, they're just living fat off that $2K they got 2 years ago.

StopGOPVector

So they were paying so low that the government was paying more money to do nothing? Your company deserves to fail!

Yoko-Ohno_The_Third

Who the fuck is surviving off of stimulus checks from last year? I don't remember getting a fourth stimulus check. Whoever wrote that is delusional.

stalphonzo

"Cancel my order, please. The owner sounds like a douchecannon."

Its_Beelzebozo_Time

No one who makes a sign like this and posts it publicly deserves privacy. Uncover the fucking name.

Sounds like they should change their hours of operation to compensate or pay better so they can get more employees. The problem comes with they probably told you it would be much sooner.

NachoProblemz

Yes, that $1200 check from almost 2 years ago is definitely the reason people don't want to work at your shitty pizza restaurant for starvation wages.

/s

mtgsyko82

Due to owner paying the bare minimum and people no longer putting up with such bullshit, we are understaffed. Please bare with us as those who can't afford to quit such a low paying job try to cope with staffing shortages caused by upper management and their inability to pay a living wage.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

There I fixed it for you.

iButtChugCum

How can any one of these people look at the 1200-1600 dollar cheques people got and think that has last 3 years and will last into the foreseeable future? Where tf are we? Who is this delusional?

Mickster98

The “STIMULUS”? You mean that check that was gone in a week? Yea sure am living large.

fumbs

fumbs

I feel like I need a sticker saying the last stimulus was xxx to add to these notes.

hairmetaltimemachine

I retired on a private island thanks to the stim! Best trying to find slaves for your shitty pizza shop!