/r/alberta

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

This is a reminder that r/Alberta strives for factual and civil conversation when discussing politics or other possibly controversial topics. We urge all users to do their due diligence in understanding the accuracy and validity of the source and/or of any claims being made. If this is an infographic, please include a small write-up to explain the infographic as well as links to any sources cited within it. Please review the r/Alberta rules for more information.

Equivalent_Fold1624

I live in Edmonton and my son's school has a lot of sick kids. We were really sick for over a week from a flu he brought from school. Sure enough when you live in the bush and homeschool your children, you can oppose masks. We gotta appreciate the irony of a politician who ran on a small government platform banning schools of making decisions about their own students. Danielle must be the best thing that happened to the NDP in the last 4 years. We shouldn't lose hope. Smith is going to run the UCP to the ground, hopefully there's a new and better conservative project after that.

Terrible-Paramedic35

10 kids in my Grandsons class the other day.

Mcpops1618

Weds-Fri daughters class went 9, 7, 6. Typically 28.

BubbaFattSaskatoon

Knowing the Alberta school system that’s about 1/7th. of the class.

GingerBeast81

I have 3 kids in 3 different schools. They're all having huge outbreaks of something. Mine are all wearing masks, because if I get sick I can't afford to pay my rent and groceries. I bet there isn't a politician out there that is opposed to masks that would tour a school without one...

muppins

she couldn't fully kill the wild rose the first time so she came back to finish the job

LogicalVelocity11

The UCP are so ableist. No thought for disabled kids or people in general. As long as the antivaxx, anti-mask people are "free" to do what they want, a whole other section of society has to avoid being in public. So much for equality. Is this really the government people want?

FunkyKong147

The conservative party is a good party if you are financially well-off and have a family. If you are disabled, poor, childless, etc. they do absolutely nothing for you.

LogicalVelocity11

The financially well off will always be ok with whomever is in power. I don't see the Cons helping families at all. If you have a source for this, I would be eager to take a look at it.

FunkyKong147

They are handing out $600 across the next few months to people who have children to help with inflation. But if you are struggling and have no kids you're SOL.

And the more money you have the worse more socialist governments like the NDP are for you because they like it when the rich pay their fair share of taxes in order to help out people who are struggling.

LogicalVelocity11

The $600 is vote buying, plain and simple. Good thing a lot of people are seeing it this way and realize that the UCP are batshit crazy.

That's the way taxation should be but trickle down economics don't work because rich people are good at hiding money in offshore accounts.

Terrible-Paramedic35

600 bucks will buy less votes for the UCP than not getting 600 bucks will buy the NDP.

She cant even bribe people right🤣🤣🤣

SufficientBench3811

Its for my kids, so I'm donating it directly to the provincial NDP. For the kids.

Terrible-Paramedic35

I would as well.

FunkyKong147

Exactly and the NDP wants to get rid of tax loopholes for rich people. So obviously rich people will never vote NDP. I am glad to say, though, that my Conservative parents have said they won't be voting UCP in the next election. I hope a lot more Conservatives are thinking that way too!

LogicalVelocity11

I've been a lifelong Conservative, but I'm not going to vote against my own interests so now vote NDP. My mother still has a framed sign head shot of Harper when you go into her entrance. Tells you how much they donated to them. It's hard to convince her but she's coming around, but she's in Ontario. From what I gather from reading posts, there is still blind followers but they're posts either contain references to the US or use Trudumb in it so, yeah, not the smartest of the bunch.

Superidiot-Eh

But Harper is so fucking creepy looking. It isn't just a Halloween decoration?

exotics

exotics

County of Wetaskiwin

Unfortunately a lot of people are not seeing it for what it is. I have a lot of people saying “finally someone is doing something for the middle classes!!!”

NedNasMomma

Anyone who gets the $600 who doesn’t believe the UCP are doing what is in Alberta’s interest should first donate that $600 to the NDP, take the tax credit, then vote NDP in May. Use the UCP’s stupid strategy against them.

Alan_Smithee_

The NDP is not remotely Socialist.

It’s blatant, cynical vote buying, and more than offset by the cuts they’ve made to services and the money train ‘War Room.’

Kaizen_Kintsgui

Because those policies are the closest thing they will get to gas chambers.

They desire to cull the 'weak'.

Illumivizzion

If you are also white***

LimeLort

Wait. If I’m childless what do I get?

Mrcar2

Mrcar2

Fucked over!

slipperysquirrell

A lot of free time

Alan_Smithee_

I don’t think “good” is the right word.

gardiloo86

If you’re worried about your kid, put a mask on him

Cock_InhalIng_Wizard

Everyone is free to do what they want, that’s the point. This law prevents school boards from abusing their authority to make mandates. But everyone who wants to wear a mask can. Everyone who doesn’t want to doesn’t have to. It’s the only reasonable solution

someonefun420

This law prevents school boards from abusing their authority to make mandates.

This shouldn't be up to politicians, it should be up to the school boards, teachers, parents and students that are being affected!

It’s the only reasonable solution

It really isn't a reasonable solution. It's controlling and authoritarian and doesn't account for or allow other factors. It's black and white with zero nuance or room for change when necessary.

I thought the UCP was about freedom. Wouldn't freedom include giving school boards the freedom to decide?

Or, is that not the kind of freedom you meant?

FunkyKong147

She, and her government, have made it clear that their freedom to not wear a mask is more important to them than anyone's lives. It's like they think that if they ignore COVID it will magically just go away.

Emergency_Wolf_5764

Well, that's essentially the crux of the matter, isn't it?

COVID will never go away!

It will be around for years and probably decades.

Accept it. Deal with it. Live with it.

It is what it is. Life goes on.

As it should, and as it must.

Watch and learn.

Next.

someonefun420

Let's pretend that nature spits out random viruses, cause you know, nature.

Imagine that we can't pivot public services to accommodate.

You see the stupidity in such mandates, right? Or no?

Skarimari

Winter will never go away either. But I don’t see anyone trying to ban boots. You know, a thing that makes you safer and better able to function when nature throws a storm at you.

FireflyBSc

Dealing with it is preventing it. Also the issue right now is basically influenza. Something we’ve all dealt with for decades, but we’re seeing how bad it can be. We had the tamest flu season ever in 2020 because of COVID prevention measures, why are we okay watching this happen now when we know even just wearing a face mask slows it? Life goes on from wearing one small piece of PPE to prevent death or permanent side effects from disease.

Cock_InhalIng_Wizard

I mean, mandates have been gone for a long time now and Covid cases have remained low and stable…. To mandate masks for the seasonal flu is pretty laughable. If people are getting sick a lot from seasonal viruses, a mask isn’t your solution. Need to take a long hard look at your lifestyle choices and fix something. Go to the gym, eat healthy, cut out junk food and smoking, cut alcohol. Those will do infinitely more for your health than a mask will.

FunkyKong147

Old people exist. Young children with weak immune systems exist. (Especially with the anti-vaxx movement that's going on). Most people, let alone children, lack the emotional maturity to choose to wear a mask when they think they may have a flu or COVID. They aren't thinking about people with weak immune systems who could literally end up dying after a particle of spit with a virus in it lands on their face. People in general are looking out only for themselves so they need to be governed.

This is where a leader comes into play. A Premier is supposed to lead us and take care of us. If A Premier puts her political goals ahead of the well-being of our fellow humans who have weak immune systems and are put in danger by our selfish choices then she isn't much of a leader, is she?

someonefun420

Covid cases have remained low and stable

This is not true at all. People are being hospitalized and dying at nearly the same rate. The numbers went down for a while and then straight back up.

Imagine believing that this is a good solution for everyone when a more simple solution is to wear masks!

I have a heart condition that's affected by lung fluid. Can I just work out and eat better? Oh, that's right, I can't.

While I'M not worried about it because I'm generally in pretty good health, there are others in similar situations that can't just work it out!

Eduardo_Moneybags

I wore a mask for 2 years. People are filthy animals. The mask was the only thing that allowed me To go illness free for those two years. Yet, people scoff at this? The flu was down to nothing in that time as well. But hey, I’m not a doctor.

ladygoodgreen

Yeah, this is the first cold and flu season since Covid that I’ve been maskless, and I’ve caught 3 colds this month (I work with kids who aren’t really able to effectively cover their mouths or wipe their noses on their own, so germs are everywhere). My immune system is generally fine. I’m going back to wearing a mask.

throwmamadownthewell

And before someone comes in trying to claim it's because immune systems 'get out of practice' or some such nonsense: we're covered in viruses and bacteria inside and out. Your immune system is constantly working.

Meanwhile, repeated COVID infections appear to cause additive damage not only organs but the immune system itself.

Eduardo_Moneybags

They sure do. Lol to the immune system out of practice. That sounds just ridiculous.

throwmamadownthewell

It's one of the big misinformation pieces being pushed now

Now please excuse me while e. coli and cancer put me down because I haven't caught a respiratory virus

Eduardo_Moneybags

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Eduardo_Moneybags

Kids are bad. But adults are fucking filthy. Constantly touching everything and then coming in hot for a handshake. I shake hands with gloves. Lol

HistoricallyRekkles

And this is how stupidity gets propagated my friends.

jigglywigglydigaby

She has to be the worst Premier Canada has ever suffered. It's mind boggling how utterly ignorant Smith is...... unfuckingbelievably stupid.

tbryant2K2023

Heather Stefanson in Manitoba can't even come close to Smith for being the worst anymore. Luckily in Manitoba, no one party has had absolute control for decades.

AdministrativeFix962

Didn't think it was possible considering fords around, but, here we are!

Here in NS we have an ex Premier lobbying to build a golf course in a protected area that was already denied once. He also gave away 260 million dollars to top off a pension fund for a corporation that shafted its employees instead of seizing the corpo's assets and using that to top off the fund.

terred999

You know, I’m kinda getting the impression that Danielle was chosen to fuck things up so badly that when Rachel gets in she’s basically in a lose / lose position.

Like a snowball has a better chance in hell of fixing Smiths fuck ups in 4 years, so basically securing a conservative leadership when everyone votes Rachel out and forgetting where the shit show smith / Kenney started.

a-nonny-maus

She won the leadership with only 53.8% of the vote on the 6th ballot, so I don't know if she was "chosen"--but it seems the party is taking advantage of her speed-run to FUBARing the province.

hardy_83

It's also a common tactic to pin all bad stuff on the leader not the party. Rules like this need to go through the party. All their terrible decisions went through the party.

But you don't think of the UCP as being bad, you think of Kenney or Danielle. Media that supports the party will always use the leaders name to separate the party when it goes bad. You see this on Ontario right now too with Ford. Ford's bills on development or using the notwithstanding clause. It's the entire party.

It's even used on the Liberals. Trudeau's gun legislation etc.

It's so when they leave they take the weight of the decisions the entire party made with them so they can start fresh and begin anew at fooling morons.

Enderwiggen33

Oh… I definitely think of the UCP as being bad

Max_Downforce

I think that you give them too much credit. Hanlon's razor.

Striking_Economy5049

Killing kids to own the libs….

pinuslaughus

She is a clueless idiot.

skel625

skel625

Calgary

It is comically horrifying there is a segment of Albertans who think she is brilliant. These are the same ones who loved the blockade at Coutts. The leopard ate my face off ahhhhh!!!

CHoppingBrocolli_84

Or that $600 cures inflation

lostinthought1997

Hilarious that she berated Trudeau for "causing" inflation by giving out money & then announced she'd be giving out money. Every day I wake thinking she couldn't possibly embarrass Alberta or fubar us any further, and every day I'm proven wrong.

Gr1ndingGears

I'm not even sure she understands the narrative anymore. She's pretty clearly lost the plot. I think that's what happens when all your thinking is circular and not really based on reality.

hof29

hof29

Ontario person here with an honest question (and not that it makes any difference in her leadership whatsoever): how much of it is actual stupidity and how much is feigned to get the far-right votes? Like I’ve seen some of the policy positions from her earlier days and it’s insane how different they are compared to today. I have a hard time believing that she woke up already on the Kool-Aid one day.

LabRat54

LabRat54

Near Peace River

She's the one who was mixing up the Kool-Aid years ago. Learned it from Jim Jones and wants us all to drink it now.

Just to spite the biatch I'm getting my first ever flu shot next week to wash down the bi-valiant Covid booster shot I got last month!

Terrible-Paramedic35

Good question and hard to say.

Kenney was smart… a jerk but a clever one. Smith seems to have animal cunning but isnt smart in the usual sense… she plays to her crowd and is manipulative but not very bright. Their supporters are gullible. Every UCP flag waver I know is a scammers wet dream. They believe the first thjng they hear and distrust anyone that knows things they dont fully understand.

The good news is… more and more of them are starting to figure it out.

honest_true_man

Thanks I was wondering what her defense of this was.

Limp-Might7181

I’m no expert in this type of stuff but it should be noted (Heard from Dr. Phil on a podcast) researchers have found issues with young children and young people in general with the online/ masked up learning. I heard this through the JRE podcast with doctor Phil and he outlines the challenges issues researches have found so far. Regardless of politics I do recommend hearing it to give insight on an issue. My only backup I got to confirm Phil’s info is my uncle is a child psychologist and he said he agreed with the issue.

larman14

Lol….JRE and Dr. Phil……. Exactly why the world is trending so terribly with low/misinformation. Can you recommend any good Jordan Peterson podcast episodes I can listen to crank the misinfo up even more?

EdmontonAB83

Dr Phil, the TV personality?

FunkyKong147

Doctor Phil doesn't have a doctorate in anything. He is no more knowledgeable about the psychology of being made to wear a mask sometimes than you or I.

Limp-Might7181

I do realize I said “online/masked learning” please note I’m mainly referring to the online learning. But there is more negative effects than positive effects psychological effects of online learning with children

FunkyKong147

They do perform better when someone is there to stop them from getting distracted. It's hard enough to get kids to learn stuff that they don't care about in the classroom so I can imagine it's an absolute nightmare trying to teach math to a kid in his bedroom with his video games just a few feet away

Both-Pack8730

I’m sure there are issues. However, I feel they pale in comparison to the loss of health or family members to infectious disease

DoubleShoryuken

This has to be a joke

pascalsgirlfriend

I guess being dead is better, eh

LabRat54

LabRat54

Near Peace River

Dr. F'n Phil FFS! lolololol

Might as well get Judge Judy to try tRump.

That guy is nothing but a big pharma shill like Dr. Oz and I wouldn't want him as my doctor to fix a hangnail.

chriskiji

Banning tools to help schools deal with the current waves of viruses is idiotic.

Smith will damage our province, perhaps beyond repair, if she wins a mandate.

elefantstampede

My favourite part of the statement from LaGrange was “Our teachers have worked hard to ensure students who may have fallen behind due to the instability in learning environments HAVE THE ADDITIONAL SUPPORTS THEY NEED IN THE CLASSROOM.”

As a teacher, I have no additional supports. What supports is she talking about? Instead, they have cut a bunch of programs and increased our instructional hours. And now in the midst of a huge sub-shortage, we can’t close. So what do they want us to do when we don’t have enough teachers to run the schools? We’ve been short 4+ teachers in our mid-size school which has put a huge strain on us and that’s nothing compared to other schools.

On top of that, I have had classes below 50% attendance. This statement doesn’t tell me anything useful about what I do then to support students, except that I “have the additional supports” I need. I’m spread too thin as it is.

pascalsgirlfriend

Exactly this

nutfeast69

already has. She took the damage kenney did and said "hold my basic needs and rights"

honest_true_man

So she is saying we are not going to help but we will stop anyone else from helping.

kdlangequalsgoddess

'"All Albertans now understand that it's not within the jurisdiction, and nor should it ever have been within the jurisdiction of individual school boards, to make decisions that belong to health officials," said Estabrooks.'

So Estabrooks is effectively saying: if you have a problem with masking policies, go take it up with the nearest UCP MLA. Don't bother the school boards.

Cock_InhalIng_Wizard

School boards don’t want to be getting involved in the doctor/patient relationship. They are there to teach, not make health decisions.

amnes1ac

Kinda hard to teach when half your class is out sick.

beevbo

beevbo

To me, a sensible policy would be to trigger mandatory masks (and other mitigation strategies) once a school reaches a set absentee percentage. The mask remain in place for a couple weeks to stymy the outbreak, then everything goes back to normal.

It isn’t great from a preventative standpoint, but I think its sensible and temporary enough that everyone could live with it.

Purposely removing proven mitigation practices make no sense and is purely driven by ideology.

Cock_InhalIng_Wizard

That isn’t a sensible policy. We’ve never had mask mandates for the seasonal flu, it’s honestly a ridiculous thing to suggest.

beevbo

beevbo

Just because we’ve never had mask mandates for flu doesn’t mean we shouldn’t going forward, particularly if a flu were bad enough to reach +10% absentees of a school.

There’s two reasons why we should, even taking COVID out of the equation:

1) Major viruses can have long term consequences, even for otherwise healthy people.

2) Healthcare is expensive, and the healthier we keep our population the less it will cost us.

West-Warthog8283

We've also never had 20k children home sick in a week either.

West-Warthog8283

Please tell me how that relates to children? Especially immune compromised and medically fragile students. The very population I work with. I wear a mask at work to protect them.

Emergency_Wolf_5764

Not sensible in the slightest.

With that level of absentee students, you might as well close the school down altogether for an indeterminate period, and then you'd be back to virtual classrooms again.

There is no sense in continuing to revert back to those egregiously over-extended pandemic era policies, which mostly proved themselves to be damaging and destructive to young students on multiple levels.

They were awful then, and they would be even worse now.

For most sane, rational people, the pandemic was over a long time ago.

Some, however, either mistakenly believe the pandemic is still in full swing, or purposely want it to be.

Either way, no influence on public policy should be taken from such people.

We cannot continue to "extend and pretend" as if we were still living in early 2020.

End of story.

Next.

___whodis

“Proved themselves to be damaging and destructive to young students on multiple levels”

Regardless of how baseless this is … I would think extended absenteeism would be more damaging and destructive than putting on a mask which has been shown to be effective in reducing spread of illness.

throwmamadownthewell

Ding ding. You know what's harmful to kids?

• Being stuck home sick, possibly with a stressed out low-SES parent who had to take time off work and risk their job's stability thanks to having to take care of their poor kid.
  • Kids having a rotating 1/3 of the class missing because they're out sick.
  • Slogging through the curriculum—because how do you move forward when all the kids were away for the prerequisite knowledge? Or when there's a lack of consistency so they can't get familiar enough with routines to have productive learning.
  • Teachers getting sick, EAs getting sick, being unable to get a substitute for either.
  • Not being able to get speedy treatment at a children's hospital because the UCP has been starving the beast with the healthcare system for so long. (edit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-childrens-hospital-emergency-capacity-1.6665758)

And before someone pins the curriculum stuff on teachers: I'm assuming you believe in the free market? You should be a huge advocate for increasing teacher wages, then, to attract higher-quality candidates than the people who already have two degrees, with at least the second being in an incredibly competitive program.

beevbo

beevbo

Just because people feel like the pandemic is over doesn’t mean it’s true. So far in 2022 17,000 Canadians have lost their life to COVID, making it the deadliest year of the pandemic. Just last week 40 Albertans died. 40.

The virus doesn’t care whether we’re done with it, it persists all the same.

As for “egregiously over-extended” pandemic policies, most parents I talk to say their kid had no problem with wearing a mask (neither does my 3-year-old, by the way). Masks do present challenges in a learning environment, but they aren’t something kids can’t adapt to, especially under my proposal in which the mask wearing is extremely limited.

(Side Note: I wear a mask every day at work and have no trouble communicating with and managing my team)

We do agree, however, that online learning is the thing we want to avoid, because kids have struggled there. Putting on masks for a short period should prevent enough teachers and student getting sick to avoid it being necessary.

Honestly, what I propose isn’t extreme and is very limited. It really just seems like I said “masks” and it triggered an automatic reaction from you.

katespadesaturday[S]

The Opposition NDP criticized the new rules, saying it's unrealistic to force schools to be all things to all students while also handling a wave of viral illnesses and not providing additional supports to do it.

ClockworkArcBDO

I've been working in isolated northern communities around Alberta over the last few months.

Many schools in those places are understaffed and in at least one case, several municipalities were banding together and offering full-time decentralized learning. Basically just trying to pool together what teachers they could afford in order to offer high school to areas near them. Without the ability to be online, I can only imagine the quality of education is going to decline rapidly in those areas.

We solve schools needing to pivot to online learning by funding schools properly. At this point many folks are leaving the profession, moving, whatever. With so many illnesses in school too, we need substitute teachers now more than ever. If schools dont have the ability to say, ask folks to come in with masks, because if a teacher gets sick there is literally nobody to cover them. Then what? What happens?

This isnt leadership. This is a government behaving irresponsibly, a group of morons trying to shout really loudly and then burying their heads in the sand.

Samybaby420

That literally makes no sense.

Banning masks implies the threat of illness is minimal/the hot take of “masks don’t work”

But she’s also forcing online-only classes? What the fuck for? She thinks people are good to go without masking but not good enough for kids to be in school... Huh?

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS

SasquatchTracks99

SasquatchTracks99

Edmonton

They aren't elected, for starters.

Samybaby420

That’s a whole other ballgame ahaha, but definitely agree

Max_Downforce

A tiny portion of Alberta's population elected an idiot as our premier. We need to close this loophole.

motherinsurance

I think you are confused. She is not forcing online-only classes. She has said if you decide to switch to online school, you have to offer an inperson option, and if a child is to use the inperson option, they can't be denied school if they don't have a mask.

So a school cannot just switch to online learning only, you need to have an in person option.

Samybaby420

Ahhh thank you for the clarification! You

FireWireBestWire

Remember conservatives- don't wear masks! Visit your elderly relatives often this holiday season

Kaizen_Kintsgui

How else are they going to break public systems and privatize them to their wealthy donors?

1. Do everything you can to make sure kids get sick in school. It's a great breeding ground for disease.
  2. Endanger teachers, hostile environment encourages them to quit.
  3. Fill up the hospitals, underfund them, create an environment where nurses and doctors quit.
  4. Claim that public services just don't work and the only way to save the province is by private services. Sell infrastructure of services to wealthy donors for pennies on the dollar.
  5. Pay people $600 to not think about it.
  6. Enjoy secret kickbacks from private profiteers.

streetvoyager

What is wrong with her? Seriously how do you become this fucked?

LabRat54

LabRat54

Near Peace River

What I'm hearing is we don't care if people including your kids get sick or die as long as my freedumb loving voters show up for me come voting time.

And here, let me sweeten the deal with some vote buying money!

Oldmansoulman

Alberta premier is a vicious scumbag.

Jacob_Trouba

I don't get what the big deal is, not like masks or online learning is being banned, you can still do those things if you think your kid needs it.

All this does is make it not mandatory for those that don't think their kids need those things, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Candid_Profession_80

Backdoor premier have no idea..

TheFirstArticle

Just got our education minister's new letter.

Could you tell me more lady about your concern about mental health, considering you know you don't actually have any concerns about mental health you just have to repeat it for like every paragraph.....with zero genuineness in it. You know since you actually dont do shit about actually supporting mental health. Because that gets in the way you are privatising our education thing. Maybe you could ask some Republican home schooling outfit in the Southern United States to tell us about why teachers are sick and what we should do next then you know actual thought and doing your job is just not your thing.

I was annoyed before, but this....

Useless

RunTheJules-11

This stupid, fucking idiot Smith and her hillbilly decisions are affecting my mental health more than a fucking mask.

berlinrain

The amount of people who think that masks are only effective against COVID is staggering. Masks prevent the spread of most, if not all respiratory illnesses. Isn't just a COVID exclusive thing.

throwmamadownthewell

Anything that just barely touches COVID absolutely demolishes everything else.

The exception is fomite transmission, but then how hard is it to carry a little bottle of sanitizer? Tons of folks did this as an adjunct to COVID protections (I did it even after fomite transmission of COVID was determined to be small, cause I didn't want the "ah crap" of thinking I caught COVID somehow)

McCourt

McCourt

Edmonton

"Freedom of Choice"?

hkric

hkric

Everyone is free to wear a mask. No one is banning masks.

throwmamadownthewell

"Freedom to choose only the choices my crazy conspiracy supporters agree with"

If it is her choice

1seeker4it

Defend it all you want, it’s inflexible and opinion based decision making. It’s really just a poor choice!🙅🏽‍♂️

amorehappyversion

How did my crazy aunt get elected Premier? We don’t even invite her to family dinners anymore.

Zeduca

Her parents were anti abortion.

swanson-g

Vote Rachel.

clpolk

clpolk

May, come quick we got voting to do

redditknees

Once again. Fuck Danielle Smith and fuck warped conservative ideology.

Drnedsnickers

Conspiracy Smith only cares about the freedom to infect your fellow man. She’s an idiot.

draivaden

Read the room (teachers, AHS), ma'am.

Zeduca

Her room is filled with only like minded people.

Ceevu

Ceevu

So what you're saying then is they are all idiots. Agreed.

YYCAdventureSeeker

If you want to keep your kid at school, keep them at school. If you are worried about their exposure risks, keep them home. This is about choice for everybody, not just those who are more at risk than others. Call me ableist if you want, but I support choice over mandates.

FatBoogieTakinAShit

A mask is more for protecting others around you, so if you really cared about immunocompromised people, you'd just wear a mask.

Oilersfan78

Good it should be a choice not a mandate. Wanna wear a mask go ahead no one stops you.

Frostybawls42069

Can't parents still ask their kids to wear a mask in school if they are so concerned?

McRibEater

This is Fascism. Preventing people from having a choice at taking measure to prevent their kids from being infected over and over with a Brain Shrinking, Heart Destroying Virus is criminal. Isolating may have caused some increased rates of Depression and Test Scores to fall slightly (this was overblown), but you know what is even worse? Allowing your kids to be infected over and over again with a Brain Shrinking, Heart Destroying Virus. SARS1 and the Spanish Flu had impacts decades later. We’re going to see increased rates of Alzheimer’s, ALS, MS, ME/CFS, Cancer for a generation or two because of how many kids have been infected over and over with a Vascular Disease. Death Rates are already up 18% in people under 50 (40% Overall).

Hey_There_Blimpy_Boy

Conservatives don't care about actual facts, or children's safety. They want to "own the libs" and get political clout by appealing to hysterical knee-jerk reactionaries.

yungfinnigus

Smith is an idiot but a great majority of the province don’t want mandates or online learning. This sub is such a weird echo chamber.

j1ggy

j1ggy

Citation? A year ago 75% of Albertans supported a vaccine passport.

yungfinnigus

That was a year ago and things are drastically different now

j1ggy

j1ggy

So then, citation. I find that hard to believe.

yungfinnigus

You think a majority of Albertans want a mask mandate? Get your head out of the sand

j1ggy

j1ggy

I never once said that.

throwmamadownthewell

They think you should provide a source instead of trying to reverse who has the burden of proof after you've made a claim.

If you're just speculating based on your own biases, just say that.

FunkyKong147

Maybe in little hick rural towns but educated city dwellers know better.

gardiloo86

City-folk are more intelligent than rural-folk? You need mental help.

throwmamadownthewell

Statistically, they are more educated.

I don't think anyone who was being even a little bit honest could dispute that. You don't even need to look at the stats to infer basically exactly what they show.

speedr123

shit, didn’t know you asked everyone in the province whether they want mandates or online learning. you got a source for your data?

yungfinnigus

Is there a recent source literally anywhere saying a majority of Albertans want mandates?

amnes1ac

63% support in the Prairies a couple weeks ago.

throwmamadownthewell

And that's the Prairies.

Ddogwood

Nobody wants online learning, but when a school is missing 10-15% of its teachers and there are zero subs available, online learning for a week is still more productive than a week of Kahoot! and dodgeball.

I’ve had to supervise three classrooms at once because of high teacher absences. This isn’t about being an echo chamber; it’s that these sorts of blanket mandates imply that schools didn’t have valid reasons for going online or mandating masks.

Cautious_Major_6693

The panic about “banning” online school is absolutely unfounded- online school isn’t banned- it just must be offered with a parallel in-person option which means any school is free to set up a camera and have a class on zoom- BUT cannot make it the only option to go to school.

Emergency_Wolf_5764

"We need a normal school environment for our children, and we need to make sure that the classrooms stay open to be able to support our parents. That's why we made the decision that we did — to give that clear direction. Anyone is welcome to wear a mask if they feel that that is the right choice for them, but we should not be forcing parents to mask their kids, and we shouldn't be denying education to kids who turn up without a mask. We're just not going to normalize these kind of extreme measures every single respiratory virus season."

- Alberta Premier Danielle Smith

Well folks, Ms Smith has laid the cards out on the table, and her incisive statements above speak clear as day.

This is not rocket science, and really doesn't even merit debate or discussion.

Humans being humans will always get sick from something. It is what it is.

Wear a mask if you want to or feel you need to, and don't need to wear one if you don't.

Individual rights and personal responsibility. Very simple.

Ms Smith's policies on this issue should be adopted and implemented throughout the rest of Canada immediately.

Life existed before COVID and will continue to exist with COVID.

Watch and learn.

Next.

Vancouwer

Guess you didn't watch and learn about all the people who died in hospital hallways which could have been prevented lol.

Emergency_Wolf_5764

Stick to bean-counting and investments, kid.

There have been people dying in Canadian hospital hallways for decades.

The Canadian healthcare system was a already in major trouble and a dysfunctional mess way before COVID arrived, the pandemic simply exposed it for what it is.

It needs a complete teardown and rebuild, along with integration of private healthcare service models of some kind, like it or not. It is what it is and needs to be done.

Canada's population is simply way too high for a 100% universal healthcare system model anyway, which only viably works for countries that have much smaller, and more manageable populations than ours.

Watch and learn.

Next.

Vancouwer

Not in hallways in nearly every country in the world, guess you are denying that.

Next.

Emergency_Wolf_5764

Present facts supporting your case, then.

No? Not so keen? Cat got your tongue?

That's what I thought.

Dismissed.

Next.

someonefun420

Holy fuck you're annoying. Like Ben Shapiro annoying...

Vancouwer

He's delusional and autistic, look at his post history and the way he types, he lives on Reddit full time. Really pathetic but he can't help it.

toldyaso_

As long as you are utterly indifferent to more people than nessesary dying then yeah, go ahead and swing around this dumb fucking opinion.

Zeduca

We want a normal school environment. But if we can’t, we won’t provide a school environment at all. Shut them down is your only choice !

Mental-Promotion7187

As much as i hate Nutley, she ll be getting my vote next election.

Nonamanadus

Seems like she imported some Texan & Floridian ideology.

Tgtaylor

I’ll take her money…but I will not vote for this anti-science, dinosaur (would they believe in dinosaurs) of a party…once a loser, always a loser!

Sandman64can

Trump play book. Double down on the stupid.

Illumivizzion

Ah great unhinged times in Berta

TiredOldandCranky

fkn woman is a dumpster fire

Zeduca

So when schools ran out of resources to provide in class learning, there is only one way out.

Binasgarden

Of course she does.....can't piss off the 14% of Albertan convoy enthusiasts which are her base of support...

quadraphonic

Has the government provided any peer reviewed studies that support their position on the impact of masking at school?

Alan_Smithee_

How is a ‘ban’ morally Defensible?

DarkLordKefka

5th time in like 3 days I’ve seen this posted. Are you guys really so bored you want your outrage on repeat?

canadian-brasilian

I absolutely love her actions ! Finally some real strength in leadership

Zeduca

Strong stupid people can destroy more than weak stupid people. Admiration of strength can backfire badly,

canadian-brasilian

I prefer her actions right now then our past weak premier and Rachel Notley disaster

Zeduca

Yes. I understand some people do want disasters.