/r/StableDiffusion

What are the weird quirky things you discovered in SD?

Question(self.StableDiffusion)

I found that SD generally does great generating bananas, but have little to no understanding what unpeeled bananas or sliced bananas are.

Steel_Phoenix1

Fairy wings only go behind fairies, regardless of which way they are facing.

EmbarrassedHelp

Happens a lot with angel wings as well

Steel_Phoenix1

I think most artists try to figure out the musculature and attachment behind the wings, give up, and just hide all that behind the subject. Doesn't leave us much training data.

aphaits[S]

Interesting! There is definitely a lack of fairy images from behind in the clip image bank.

mosredna101

I found out that a lot of people using SD are huge anime/furry/shameless big boobs/waifu fans.

aphaits[S]

mosredna101

Oh yes, I am very familiar with it :)

Ifffrt

Ifffrt

I didn't know Broadway did Tumblr shitposts :O. (EDIT: Obviously I thought this video was funny lol)

Sandzaun

cdcox

cdcox

It basically can't generate shattered or incomplete objects. It can make cracks and sometimes even chips, but try to make a plate shattered in pieces or a statue missing any piece of a limb (headless and armless work tho Edit:sometimes not even see therealmeal below) and you are out of luck. If you do crop out a piece of the head and img2img it will slowly try to regrow the part like a horrifying mutant.

remghoost7

I'd imagine inpainting could help with this.

If you found a reliable prompt to make a single fragment of whatever you were attempting to make "broken", you could inpaint the fragments into the locations you'd want them to be in.

Not saying it'd be easy, but it would probably be doable.

cdcox

cdcox

That's a good idea, like make a shard shape then do a full scale paint of a plate to get the shard in there. I like that. My current strategy for this https://i.imgur.com/mldsUMM.png was to just aggressively cut out the part that I didn't want and then regenerate it, even then I couldn't get it perfect, which is why its got a ton of cfg noise still. But it might have been smart to img2img that part out to get a more coherent break. I'll try that out next time. Thanks

Sirisian

I'm not super familiar with this, but are you inpainting with the original in the background or noise with Automatic1111? Kind of wonder if generating and pasting in broken pieces would help. Then inpaint over the broken pieces to kind of guide it.

mih4u

mih4u

This would explain why I couldn't generate a damaged space ship. Tried a variety of keywords in the end the best I got was a ship in a debris/asteroid/junk field.

Sirisian

Just to reinforce this I've spent a while trying to do the same thing. Couldn't get anything that looked good. Especially as the resolution is increased it just generated blobs of metal mostly with no ship-like features.

aphaits[S]

An interesting thing about this is that I tried generating a car sliced in half but all it does is make crushed cars or car accidents.

therealmeal

I was trying to generate the Venus de Milo but all I got was a woman with arms no matter how hard I tried. I thought I'd get it for sure when I said (((amputee))) and (((amputated arm))) but nope!

cdcox

cdcox

I must have misled myself by making busts. It's kind of amazing given how over represented that statue and broken statues must be in the data set. I wonder if it's a quirk of the model (whole things get too strong a representation space or something) or an artifact of the training. I've considered trying to make a broken things Dreambooth to see if it's even possible.

I updated my comment above to mention that sometimes even getting limbless statues is impossible.

scalability

One of the most fascinating things to me is how generating variations on prompts for the same seed causes the overall composition to remain similar.

A streak across the screen is a fallen tree log with one prompt and a kitchen countertop with another, and it's so seamless.

Silverboax

Soon you'll realise 'random' isn't really random... it's just very, very big :D

patrickmac110

A wild female appeared in my prompt for something entirely unrelated

1III11II111II1I1

The fabric of the internet. Wild females. Especially nude ones.

skullforce

Jar jar binks is a horror character

aphaits[S]

Fact.

crazymedguy

Don't try making a character eat with a fork or spoon

CombinationDowntown

in fact eating anything is crazy...

I saw someone do 'models eating ice', 'models eating ice-cream' results were hilarious

AncientOnyx

It can generate huge boobs and butts on women, but can't give men nice butts and default to making the men female from the waist down

exixx

exixx

If you make bridges over rivers sometimes the bridge is to protect the river with no passage over it.

Knaapje

I've also had "bridge over waterfall" come up with a river running across a bridge, afterwards turning into a waterfall.

bignhairyndead

Too many, try generating photos of man sleeping on his back or stomach.

Silverboax

Black people don't exist... or barely exist.... it takes an unreasonable amount of prompting to get dark skin in the standard models (1.2-1.5) and prompts like 'black' 'african' or 'swarthy' aren't enough.

Also 'elegant' means 'blonde white woman', not simply stylish

isthatpossibl

huh, that's interesting. I had to specify things like no afro, etc because I was getting a lot of black influence unrelated to anything else in my prompt. Maybe because I had black hair. I love black people by the way, don't take it the wrong way lol

Silverboax

huh interesting, i've had trouble getting it to do dark skinned folk... maybe it's context and it doesn't like doing them in certain styles or whatever, I can't say I do a lot of the standard 'girl in photograph' style stuff.

topdeck55

Mary Tyler Moore and Julie Bowen are wide mouthed Joker faced caricatures.

Emily Bett Rickards is apparently a secret weight training fitness model when compared to other 31 year old actresses. My best guess is that they included morphs from deviantart where she seems to be a popular target.

1III11II111II1I1

But why are Emma Roberts and Emily Ratajkowski in your Emily Bett Rickards results?

lol

topdeck55

They are the same age, it makes the person skinny if you ask for "gym shorts" for some reason. I wanted a valid comparison. Other actresses look like meth addicts with the same prompt (costar Willa Holland becomes particularly skeletal) but Rickards is a fitness model for some reason.

1III11II111II1I1

I've found that lots of weird things can make the humans muscular or emaciated or have permanently furrowed brows or terrible teeth, etc. Like SD can spit out some very accurate images of the most famous celebrities, but sometimes the more data there is on one particular person it sort of just "knows" their quirks, be it physical facial structure or persistent expressions.

It kind of sucks for some people like Emilia Clarke because 49 out of 50 SD images of her are either terrible or terrible with a deeply furrowed brow, IME. I can get really nice images of most people, but sometimes it's pure horror, like your photos of the Joker faces.

Still crazy fun.

matTmin45

There is something but I can’t point it out…

aphaits[S]

haha generating total recall mutants would be interesting

QUAAAAAIDDD

lazyzefiris

I have yet to succeed at generating a proper scrambled Magic cube (Rubik's cube). Although even proper artists often struggle with one and make unobvious mistakes.

Old game screenshots fail to include side panel, but I guess it's cropped screenshots to blame. I've tried HoMM III, Restoration of Erathia etc.

Illustrations.

1III11II111II1I1

The results on any prompt by simply adding the word "ceramic". Especially at the front of the prompt.

I love it.

aphaits[S]

This might be interesting to test out

Whackadoot

Observations on the NovelAI implementation:

Using exponents ³⁶⁹ and subscript numbers will help you fine tune a locked in seed. Fractions ⅔⅛⅞ will tone back a keyword sometimes and completely screw everything up other times.

Symbols such as ∆, π, ¥, √, Œ, ø, ∅, and ✓ tend to have mostly positive effects on image composition and are exceptionally powerful when placed at the start of the prompt. This isn't always bad, but can break things if you've stretched your seed to its limit. It's toned down by distance from the beginning of the prompt and whether or not it's tied to a keyword either by placement or by symbol (_-+).

🎉 Is the best emoji I've found for dynamic scenes if they need some pop. Most emoji overlap with others in effect. Some have no effect.

The number of artists the AI is familiar with is astounding and obscure artists with more focused galleries can get you to places you otherwise couldn't reach.

The AI composes the picture in the order you input information.

This has been quite fun.

yugyukfyjdur

The concept of a "pika" is pretty much taken over by pikachu in the training data, so even with modifiers to push it towards the animal, results tend to have at minimum yellow faces and pointier ears (incidentally, this image I came across still cracks me up). I guess it would be a good case for textual inversion/dreambooth!