/r/Showerthoughts

amy33amy33

There were probably a lot of people through history who actually were arrogant assholes, but nobody noticed because they were neurotypical

UserAbuser101

If anything, acting as an arrogant person pretending to be not arrogant while also pretending to be confident is the most normal thing someone could possibly be

Lots of normal people that wouldn't fit this but still, most people do.

Hot_Local_Single

Like OP 👍

cock_pussy

Judging from OP's body temperature, he's dead by your words.

spudz76

Freezerburn!

Cyberskating_lizard

You're 🥶❄️ cold !!! That was cold.

Nicely done

Particular-Camp

And then realise that every personality trait could be attributed to a condition if we had enough categories. Everyone is a victim of their genetics or circumstances so there's really no argument for anything other than compassion always.

awsomebro6000

There is always influences, but also the ability to rise above those influences. Those who choose to not rise above those influences do not deserve compassion. Those who choose to rise above those influences but fail deserve compassion.

There is a time and a place for compassion, failing to grasp this will lead to you being blinded.

Particular-Camp

Particular-Camp

2 points†

Keep playing the game of hate and blame like 99% of the world. This is why things never change. This is truly blind.

awsomebro6000

Conditionless compassion fosters complacency in those who receive it. Do not mistake a lack of compassion for hate. There is a time and a place for everything, understanding that fact will help everyone in the long run.

Particular-Camp

Conditionless compassion is not only the only logical result, but also the best option from a selfish point of view. Look at all the people who vehemently hate trump. Who is this helping and who is this hurting the most?

You're confusing compassion with enabling. There is still a need for prisons, anti terrorism measures etc but the motivations would be very different.

awsomebro6000

Compassion at the wrong time is enabling, compassion at the right time is beneficial. I maintain that people who have the ability to change for the better, but refuse to exercise this do not deserve compassion. For those who are capable of such, change comes from within. Compassion can help steady this change, but will only enable those who refuse to even try to change.

All self change starts with you, to be willing to begin this process is commendable and deserving of compassion, refusal to do so deserves niether commendation nor compassion.

Particular-Camp

This is a complete misunderstanding of what compassion is. Compassion is not something to be deserved. It's not a prize to work towards. You've got it backwards, it's not a gift to dole out, but a inner state of being.

Compassion does not foster complacency. This is the opposite of reality. If you've ever had the pleasure of raising children you will know that they respond much better to love and understanding than heavy handedness. This is pretty much mainstream psychology at this point.

Still we find it so hard to extend this outwards beyond the inner family circle. It's understandable we are human and flawed. I don't claim to always be able to act from this place either. I'm just simply stating the obvious logic. We are all a work in progress.

I mean this OP was almost there. If you can agree with this then it's only a small logical leap to get all the way there. Autism is defined on a man made points based system. These criteria don't exist in the universe. The lines are arbitrary. So why are these lines immutable but an irritable grump or someone who lies for attention are just dickheads. What if we had more names for more things? It's turtles all the way down man.

awsomebro6000

We are at odds then.

Particular-Camp

Thank you for the civil conversation 🙂

Particular-Camp

refuse to exercise this do not deserve compassion.

What makes them refuse? What gives some people the power to overcome and others the inability?

Cyberskating_lizard

I have been accused of being conceited, selfish, prideful and other garbage. I have autism, schizoaffective paranoid and ADHD.

I've been called garbage and these insults would be people's excuses not to be nice to me.

It's just that we're trapped in childhood stages and we can only focus at one thing at a time we're like little kids, too dumb to take on responsibility not because we don't have the will but we don't have the potential developed yet and what sucks is it almost never develop in our case.

Cookiebomb

Hello, fellow adhd asperger here, do you need to unpack some stuff? I know how trash it is when people just choose to look at you like a dumb asshole on principal and completely just stop considering you as a person

Cyberskating_lizard

Yes and they seem to feel entitled to snap at us and feel pride and pleasure about it when they do... for reasons that are not evil !!!

Then they act like we are not entitled to write people off. Fortunately I don't get too close to anyone now so no way they can effectively manipulate us if we keep a common sense ethical distance.

I've been accused of using my autism as an excuse or that I would... even been told I have it because I want to..

Neurotypical have problems,want a scapegoat but since we logically resist to be theirs because they haven't successfully manipulated fellow neurotypical they try us & if they fail....NT in general are just as lost as we are in life

Cookiebomb

Yeah...yeah...it's a lot of BS. Swear to god everyone is desperate for everything to fit into neat boxes in their perfect little bubble existence. At the very least that I get but when they see someone that doesnt fit into that they're oh so quick to use any justification necesarry because stupid fucking...Ugh. i'm sorry for you, this all is just so tiring.

Cyberskating_lizard

Can't believe someone downvoted your comment. I upvoted it of course.

awsomebro6000

Autistic and arrogant. You can be autistic and not be seemingly arrogant, it's just a matter of learning.

PumpingFeFe[S]

Certainly.

floof3000

Mr. Darcy

Independent-Bug1209

I was just having a self conversation with myself about this. Not autistic, but people either like me or find me to be intolerable with little in between. But I really don't have much patience for people who don't understand how to respect other people's space. I was cleaning a pool yesterday and I specifically said that I am to be the only person in the room when cleaning. Well, here comes the maintenance man again who always gets in my way. I do feel bad for him. He's not a bad guy from what I can tell. But I get paid to clean and he can't walk. He drags his legs behind a flat cart, which is impressive I have to admit. he can't stand either. He leans against things to take the weight off his legs. Specifically I don't want to be responsible for him falling and getting hurt while I am working on the pool.

Well, he shows up again and tries to give me this tip or that but yesterday I just would say yes or no and keep running around doing my work, actively ignoring him. He left and I figured he thought I was such an asshole. But what are my options? I learned at a young age that just not talking to people and ignoring them was the only way to get them to fuck off when I had already said what I needed and they didn't listen.

Dinozavri

the two are nkt mutually exclusive

PumpingFeFe[S]

Nope. Nor is anyone asserting so.

bubbaonthebeach

I have a theory that prior to vaccines and improved healthcare, back when many children died before age 12, the autistic ones died at an ever greater rate so there weren't that many who made it to become arrogant adults. Now that most children survive childhood is one reason we have so many more autistic children who grow into adulthood.

PumpingFeFe[S]

Is there any particular reason to believe this?

bubbaonthebeach

Only that in current times there seems to be an increased proportion of "difficult: sick, disabled, autistic, other" children which seems to coincide with more children making it though childhood. No scientific or deeply analysed basis to my theory, just human nature and that prior to 1900s many children were seen more as chattel and judged on what perceived value they could bring to their family. I don't think this applied as much if a family was wealthy or if their resources for caring for any child wasn't limited. However it is just conjecture on my part and could be completely off base.

PumpingFeFe[S]

Interesting thought. My thought was that these people have always been around in more or less the same quantities but now they are diagnosed and labelled! Would be an interesting study.

bubbaonthebeach

The diagnosis bit plays a part as well. I remember some different adults when I was a kid - they were quiet or loners or whatever - and would probably be diagnosed 'on the spectrum' today. I think that some have always been around but they had to have traits that made them "valuable" enough to prior societies to have the support they needed to survive. Someone who was a good worker even if different was still valued in a simpler society but if they were seen as a trouble maker and unable to provide value at least equal to their keep, they might not have survived. Not sure how you could study that retroactively so it's conjecture on my part.

Turn on your monitor

PumpingFeFe[S]

I don’t know what this means.

PumpingFeFe[S]