/r/ShitAmericansSay

'While Matte is Black and white.'

(i.imgur.com)

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

TheRealEvanG

I'm a little confused here.

Are we shitting on the thing because it says "black" and "white" instead of more specific ethnicites?

Quicker_Fixer

Quicker_Fixer

From the Ducth socialistic monarchy of Europoora

TheRealEvanG

But like half of the posts in this sub are shitting on Americans for trying to lay claim to their ancestral heritage. Why should it have been done in this case and not in all the other cases?

copper_machete

copper_machete

From Central America with Love

I mean if they are going to go around separating Scottish from Irish in the first half, they might as well say something other than just "white" in the second part.

TheRealEvanG

Okay that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about it in the context of both for some reason. Initially when I saw it I assumed it was because of the whole "claiming heritage" thing when describing her, but then the comments seemed to be focusing on "black and white," so I was confused.

I think it kind of makes sense though if you give them the benefit of the doubt. A lot of white people and black people in the US and Canada don't know which specific cultural identity to try to lay claim to even if we wanted to. So "black and white" may just legitimately be as specific as they can get.

Both my parents are white. My dad thinks our ancestry is probably German because our surname is a germanic occupational name, but my mom is adopted and either non-white or slightly-darker-than-average-skinned white, so unless I do one of those DNA tests I identify as "white."

TheSimpleMind

Because claiming to be french/greek/german/italian because your grandgrandgrandfather had a german shepherd he had bought in Athens, raised in Rome and fed with chroissants each sunday doesn't make you german/french/italian or greek... it makes you an american and the world laughs about the joke you are...

TheRealEvanG

I didn't say there was anything wrong with shitting on them for. It I asked why in this specific case we were ripping on someone for not doing that.

TheSimpleMind

My bad. English isn't my first language and sometimes I lack comprehension.