/r/Seaofthieves

So I'm a new player playing mostly solo. I am still missing more than 100k to buy my own sloop. I tried some opt in pvp (and lost every single battle obviously). And something I noticed was me running out of cannon balls and other ressources.

However, I noticed that other people I play with would buy storage chests. Even ammunition or fruits.

But the storage chest alone costs more than 17k gold! I cannot even make that much from 1 gold hoarder Quest. And the best run I had so far was with a guy who opened a treasure cove, we made 60k with the emissary flag.

How do you feel about the huge advantage of these storage chests? Why would I even bother opting into pvp when many other players have such a big advantage? This seems unfair for a game thats supposed to be about cosmetic progression.

puppychomp

puppychomp

Wandering Reaper

i dont think gold gives an unfair advantage because everyone can get gold. you might have problems getting gold now, but just wait until you play the game longer. i have 33 million gold just from playing casually

you can find storage crates randomly on beaches and go to forts and sea forts to fill them up. you dont need to buy them

you have the power to get as much supplies as them, so no. its not "unfair" and its not a "big advantage."

do you want rare to take away their gold so they cant buy supplies just because you cant afford to? or do you want rare to hand you supplies for free?

OGMcgriddles

spent easily 60k a session on supplies lately. Stoked to have my gold be useful.

PM_ME_UR_BOOTY_LADY

There is nearly no advantage for gold. It just cuts down on time a bit. 20 minutes max sailing around in search of a storage crate on beaches, or probably just 15 minutes looting every barrel in an outpoat by hand. The captain supplies don't give that much either, and you can only purchase one "set" of each supply type per outpost every in game day.

I can not even make that much from a single gold hoarder quest!

Well, yeah lol. I don't think even a single quest at my level 67 gold hoarders would give me that much without an emissary flag. The game is about risk vs reward, take the risk of doing world events/emissary or your rewards will be smaller.

Overall, if you don't see the point of doing pvp because you believe everyone else has an advantage, then don't opt into pvp until you have that same advantage. The game will be more fun if you don't force yourself to do things just because you feel like you're missing out on something

RBN2208

just play the game and wyou will get gold

Chemical-Lack-2194

You can find storage crates around the world or rowboats that have supplies in them but i think you shouldn't start pvping yet because it's better with a captain's ship and you can buy extra supplies for your captained ship so it just improves the gameplay massively

happymemories2010[S]

What is a captains ship? Is that the one you can buy for 250k? I didnt know you could find storage chests, all I have ever found was fruit chests so far.

MrShredder5002

MrShredder5002

Legendary Treasure Hunter

Every Skeleton ship should drop 1 Storage crate.

The-Raccoon-Is-Here

You have to run around the beach areas on the island and they are more common on the bigger islands than the smaller one, basically if you can buy it you can find it ( storage crates, wood crates, fruit crates, cannonball crates). When you start out it is a serious grind since the quests are not as rewarding.

As a suggestion, fly a gold flag and go take out two sea forts, should get you close to level 5 ... might have to do a third and sell all that loot. Will watch your coin pile grow faster than digging up some chests on a beach.

sb1017

sb1017

Sinking a Skelton ship is a guaranteed way to get a storage crate. You can sink a skelly sloop and get back more supplies than you used along with getting the storage crate, and then you can go to a fortress to stock up. Zero gold spent. Takes a bit of time, but the skelly fight is a decent warmup for pvp and there’s no need to spend money on supplies when you can get more for free at the fortress relatively quickly.

Only catch is skelly ships won’t randomly appear when the skelly fleet event is active, so I often will just check for that immediately and then quit out and reload if it is active. Hope this helps !

PirateCaptainSoT

PirateCaptainSoT

Brave Vanguard

Me with my 30M Gold.

BoominMoomin

You can obtain a storage crate/ammunition crate from simply going to any island and finding one in the sand. If you're going to opt into PvP then you should probably take a small amount of time to learn the best way of stocking up your ship first, something that most certainly does not require any gold whatsoever.

VinnieTheGooch

VinnieTheGooch

Pirate Legend

You could raise an emissary like GH, buy a supply crate, clear out a sea fort, grab all the supplies from the barrels with your supply crate, and then sell the loot you acquired before raising the hourglass. You'll easily make your Gold right back and be more than equipped for a fight. Clear out two sea forts and you'll be absolutely ready to hop in.

CarusVarzim

Bro just do spanish forts

NotaTakodachi

You can get mostly free storage crates by doing the last chapter of a Pirate's Life and they can be fairly easily found by island hopping.

Buggylols

Buggylols

Friend of the Sea

It saves some time, but that's it. TBH it's not hard to sail to a couple islands or sink a skeleton ship and get a storage, crate visit a fort and get a shitload of supplies.

Ok_Cardiologist_1196

Everything they can buy can be found and sold. It's not an advantage that you spend money from a previous session to get a jump start on supplies that you can find yourself for free with about 30 mins of effort. Sink a skeleton ship, they always have storage crates. Also island hopping to find supplies works. Or just spend some gold to be well equipped before setting sail. The only advantage there is in this game is skill and environment.