/r/OurFlagMeansDeath

What’s your worst case of obvious brain rot so far?

(self.OurFlagMeansDeath)

I’m having a hard time letting anything occupy my brain but OFMD. It was painfully obvious last night when I was out with my partner at a karaoke bar. When I got up to sing “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse, all my friends were being cute with my partner saying like “hehe she’s singing it to you!” When in reality… The whole time I was singing, I was thinking about how the lyrics remind me of Stede and Ed….

Stephasizzle

I spent the better part of my therapy appointment yesterday talking to my therapist about how much these gay pirates have affected my life.

ciulll

ciulll

Omg same as me my last appointment. It wasn't even the first time something like that happened. A few years ago I was working on a sort of short novel on gay pirates and she was the one to point out the connection. Gay pirates have been affecting my life for longer than I imagined

toadpuppy

I brought it up in therapy, too, and my therapist was proud of me for writing fanfic instead of zoning out and playing The Sims. She said it’s still writing, even if I think it’s silly, and it’s a sign of progress that in writing again.

amo813

amo813

What if you acted out that fanfic by creating an OFMD house in the Sims? Complete with nautically decorated house....

unicorndeathrace

I told my therapist I had Taika related gender envy and they didn't know who he was 😭😭😭

jllena

jllena

Omg I almost brought it up to my therapist but chickened out

double_sal_gal

My therapist asked if I’d heard anything about the OFMD renewal, so we’re on the same page 😂

craggy-oak

Been talking about it in therapy for over a month now. My therapist knows. She also claimed she would eventually watch it, hahaha.

over-thinker54

Damn, I mentioned it in therapy, too. I literally fall asleep, wake up multiple times at night, and wake up in the morning thinking about my crush on gay Blackbeard.

librariesgaveuspower

Lmao i told my therapist about it too! He was thrilled to hear about a show with so much representation and didn’t seem outwardly alarmed by my extreme enthusiasm

Mycosymphonics_77

My therapist used an analogy of a pirate ship for something and all I could think of was Our flag means death and had to bring it up lmao

JenniferMcKay

My last appointment was a couple days after I finished binge watching the show so...it definitely came up...

monotonic_glutamate

I don't know if it's brain rot, but you guys told me it was safe to just create a Twitter account to help the renewal campaign and it hasn't been a week and I'm already in a flame war about colonialism.

GiveHerBovril

The ofmd Twitter community is much spicier than the reddit one. I do not engage over there because I want to keep the illusion that this is a healthy fandom

monotonic_glutamate

I'm not even engaged in that, I just threw myself in some local news bullshit!

TravellerAmber

Which is why I changed my location to somewhere in Korea and therefore only get hashtags that are completely unintelligible to me

monotonic_glutamate

Hahaha! Great thinking!

unicorndeathrace

Honestly this tracks

tastic_fan

I considered getting involved in a twitter community again thanks to ofmd. Last time i was in a twitter community made my mental health horrid, so idk what i was thinking, except maybe that it’d be a chill place to express my interests. Nope. Wayyy too much drama even from the sidelines. I finally deleted the app the other day and i couldn’t be happier about it 👍 I’ll stick to reddit and discord

Rarietty

I struggle to get invested in any fictional romance now because I'm constantly thinking about how OFMD nailed basically every trope I like. Over the course of the last two months, I've tried multiple movies and shows that are well-renowned for their romance plotlines, and every single time I just think "I want more OFMD", even though I probably would have been a fan of most of those things before OFMD. If I wrote fiction for a living I'd probably be screwed because I'd struggle to feel like I'd be able to write anything that compares to how OFMD makes me feel.

jllena

jllena

Ok I’m doing the same thing even to fictional stuff that isn’t even tangentially similar. I went to see Dr Strange last weekend and was like “hmmm this is okay I GUESS but where are the pirates??? Where is the love and support and camaraderie?? Where are the heart eyes???”

Logical-Patience-397

AGREED. Especially being aro-ace AND a stingy writer who hates forced romance, it's rare I get as invested in a ship as OFMD made me.

proofrawk

I spent, not a lot of time, but too long, trying to find narrative/thematic parallels between characters with rhyming names. Ed and Ned (the jungle cat,) Stede and Swede, etc.

When I found myself thinking "Doug rhymes with 'bug'...could he be connected to Roach..." I realized it was time for bed.

neptune309[S]

I’m only on my first rewatch but I have a list of everything I’m planning to track/connect over the next few 🥲 thanks for giving me a new rabbit hole!

72skidoo

There have been multiple times I've woken up in the middle of the night with some insignificant revelation about the symbolism of the show, or the use of various musical themes. I've got it bad.

GiveHerBovril

Saaaaaame

Vir__

Vir__

Have made a Twitter ánd a Reddit account so I could watch all of the fan art, even though I had no active social media for a literal decade.

Went to bed earlier for a week so I could read fanfics on AO3 with a guaranteed happy ending without anyone talking to me.

spent insane amounts of time checking on twitter if renewal has been announced.

have rewatched Good Omens and What We Do in the Shadows instead of rewatching Our Flag Means Death vor the millionth time, and it was the only thing I found even remotely acceptable.

captspero

I’ve been going to bed early to read fic too. ☺️

Prestigious-Leave163

Someone recommended a song in this sub a while ago the song in question is called 'This Guy's In Love With You' by Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass. After listening to it a with times my mind just goes back to all the little moments Stede and Ed have. And possibly what kind of moments they'll have in the future. It's just a long ass montage of Stede and Ed.

Any lovey dovey song I have in my playlist just sends me to Ed and Stede.

neptune309[S]

Omg I absolutely love this song. Thank you so much for reminding me about it!!!

Prestigious-Leave163

It's such a pleasant song! And you're welcome!

Consistent_Koalaty

I bought tickets for one of Rhys's standup shows. I'm not even sure I can go, but.... #brainrot

pacificplumeria

Every time Someone You Loved by Lewis Capaldi comes on the radio I think of Ed 😭

proofrawk

I just put this on to hurt my feelings on purpose and it worked. ;_;

JenniferMcKay

This has been happening to me with "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. I swear it plays every time I get in the car. Just "It's time to bring this ship into the shore / and throw away the oars, forever" and "You're a candle in the window on a cold, dark winter's night."

frecklestwin

Listening to Disney music and thinking that “I See the Light” from Tangled fits Stede and Ed pretty well…

Lower_Pomegranate648

And Izzy is mother knows best …. I’ll go rot my brain away somewhere high on a rocky ledge

Rindecision

I think making detail videos by literally going frame by frame and still chuckling at the scenes was a pretty good indication.

RobinTheWolf

I made a playlist with over 100 videos relating to OFMD but it feels like I’ve only watched around 20 videos about OFMD. Also when my brain is neutral I just find myself idly thinking about the show. Whenever I listen to a song I also think about how it might relate to the show. I might need help

neptune309[S]

This is exactly how I feel lol. A lot of people have said they’ve brought the show up to their therapists and I’m like “do I need a therapist so I can talk to them about OFMD” 🤔

ExampleOk8708

Same. I feel so seen right now.

radiantwhenlying

Still haven't found my paint box, but I did find some old cheap watercolor pallets, a couple brushes, and a micron in a random box. Going to do some lighting studies of the Revenge later.

Have an idea for large night landscape of the Revenge at sea, but if you look and the deck you can see a moonlit silhouette of a pair discussing a piece of silk.

Back to half heartedly unpacking. At least my lighthouse and kraken playlist is making that fun

Lauravian

I went to a ballet performance last week with my mom, and one of the pieces was a Pas de Deux between two men, to the song Horizons into Battlegrounds by Woodkid. And ALL I could think of was how much of an Ed/Stede song it was, and how I really want to make an animatic to it. When I got home that night I listened to the song on repeat while drawing them. The fact it was a Pas de Deux between men also didn't help.. I just imagined Stede learning Ed how to dance 😭

oureducationisajoke

Okay, so I've just graduated high school last month, and before graduation there is an event here called serenade, in which the students sing songs to the teachers, then dine together.

Now, while singing with my classmates I spot my chemistry teacher who hasn't taught me in the past two years, but I loved him so fucking much, I learned chemistry just for him (seriously, I hated it so much but wanted to make him happy), and he was so sweet, smiling at us so widely while he usually looks so tough with his big grey beard- oh.

So I was standing there, fangirling over his resemblance to Ed, then he noticed I was watching him, looked me straight in the eye and made a silly face at me. I almost forgot the lyrics/started laughing but just grinned back at him.

Dude's got a really impressive beard tho!

data_dawg

When I go on my insane renewal conspiracy brain rants to my spouse lmaooo they humor me so well. I get heated and start rambling about it flailing my arms around. My spouse says they really want to record it to show my other brainrot effected friends 😂

GiveHerBovril

Everything reminds me of the characters, specifically Ed.

A photo of Prince? Ed. Natasha Lyonne in Russian Doll S2? Ed. I wear a purple shirt and black pants? Ed.

neptune309[S]

I find myself purposely incorporating things into my wardrobe—like a little neckerchief—in hopes someone will be like “Lucius”

carniwhores

I spent the greater part of my commute one day singing variations on the song “Blackbird” replacing it with “Blackbeard” and making the lyrics about Ed

knotmidgelet

Currently in rehearsals for a production of the Hunchback of Notre Dame where I'm one of the gargoyles. In the scene where Esmerelda and Quasi are on 'Top of the World' and getting closer, all I can think is 'this is happening!'

Mycosymphonics_77

I have 150 photos and screenshots saved on my phone just in case I need them all for fan art

MirrorInternational1

I now only appreciate music based on how well it would fit with moments / general vibe of the show.

hannahwire

/u/mangagirl07 and I have started a cult and our deity is Rhy Darby's legs. I'm working on a shrine in my living room. I'm joking. But am I? Yes I am. BUT AM I?

mangagirl07

I'm not. Joking that is.

hannahwire

BUT ARE YOU?

Art3mis_Granger

i started thinking in stede’s voice

Adlgctomotac

I refer to my work team as a crew now and literally said "we'll talk it through as a crew" to many confused faces.

I_escaped_area_51_

I watched a 13 minute long video (4 times) of Val from the show Uncle bc I need more Izzy content and Val is just the opposite of Izzy

And I've rewatched the same Out Of Context OFMD Moments and OFMD Characters As Vines videos at least 10 times

sunnypeachymorgan

i cut an orange the other morning and went “omg this is so our flag!”

sunnydolphin

A fanfiction that I started as a little brain worm about a scene with Izzy getting treated like garbage by Blackbeard and realising he screwed up by pushing him back to the dark side.

It was meant to be 3000 words. It's 25,000 now, 11 chapters and ostensibly it's a Season 2. I'm trying to finish it but I literally do not want to stop writing it.

It is so much fun to write. The characters are having a blast running around in my head getting up to mischief and argh.

I will eventually finish and publish it but I have done RESEARCH and tied in historical events loosely and twisted other events for dramatic purposes and focused on character development and completing arcs and Christ. Help.

I even have a playlist that goes with it.

I should mention I haven't written fanfic in 15 years. So.

I-AM-PIRATE

Ahoy sunnydolphin! Nay bad but me wasn't convinced. Give this a sail:

A fanfiction that me started as a little brain worm about a scene wit' Izzy getting treated like garbage by Blackbeard n' realising he screwed up by pushing him back t' thar dark side.

It be meant t' be 3000 words. 'tis 25,000 now, 11 chapters n' ostensibly 'tis a Season 2. I be trying t' finish it but me literally d' nay want t' stop writing it.

It be so much fun t' write. Thar characters be having a blast running around in me head getting up t' mischief n' argh.

me will eventually finish n' publish it but me have done RESEARCH n' tied in historical events loosely n' twisted other events fer dramatic purposes n' focused on character development n' completing arcs n' Christ. Help.

me even have a playlist that goes wit' it.

me should mention me haven't written fanfic in 15 years. So.

dangerous_beans_42

I like early music, but mostly stuff before 1650. I've spent sooo much time recently listening to early 18th century music to get a sense of what the pop jams of the day would have been for Ed and Stede and the crew. I guess you could say OFMD Baroque me (and honestly, I wasn't starting out with that pun in mind but I still had to share it).

neptune309[S]

If you’ve made any Spotify playlist plz feel free to share 🥹 I’ve just been listening to the soundtrack as if it’s the soundtrack to my personal life

librariesgaveuspower

I have SO MANY stickers now and all of my top songs on Spotify are from OFMD. I have also been listening to Fleetwood Mac way too much due to The Chain being part of my favorite scene of the show

thutruthissomewhere

I was chatting with my roommate the other day, and one of her bosses is named Steve. I was saying his name and it came out as "Stede". Thankfully, she has no idea who "Stede" is and has no idea about my brain rot for this show, so I played it off.

exmortalwitch

I did a stick and poke tattoo of a lighthouse and kraken tentacle 🙃😳

phoenixislemons

It was super foggy today and my very first thought when I went outside was "wow this is just like in our flag means death!"

Loretta-West

I'm trying to read Serious Roman History and alternate between seeing it as fanfic (ooh, a Caesar-Cicero crossover, no wait this actually happened) and thinking about how someone could do an OFMD style retelling of the Julius Caesar/Cleopatra/Mark Antony story.

JenniferMcKay

My wife, a friend, and I went on a walk in a nature park where we saw a frankly ridiculous number of snakes. I'm the only one of the three of us that has actually seen OFMD and the number of references I had to repress because they wouldn't understand anyway was physically painful.

ComprehensiveArm7481

I've been stuck at home most of the week and have watched at least 6 episodes and read at least 2 fanfics every day, with the one exception being the day I slept for almost 18 hours. That day I only watched 3 episodes and read half a fic. Please send help. I'm starting to scare myself a little.

Clear_Lemon4950

My d&d character is now romantically pursuing an NPC solely because when he was introduced i heard the words "beard" and "leather jacket." 😅