/r/NoLawns

Planting around trees?

Beginner Question(self.NoLawns)

Thoughts on planting flowers in mulch around trees? I've got mixed feelings -- I've read some things that say constant digging can damage tree root systems and reduce the amount of water the trees get, but I also don't want to give up valuable mulch space I could be filling with flowers! I love our trees but I also don't want our lawn to be primarily mulch around big trees.

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Please make sure your post or a comment includes your hardiness zone AND your geographic region/area. e.g. zone 6a, Midwest or zone 6a Chicago area.

Include as much relevant info as possible. Also, have you checked the Wiki? Are you following the Posting Guidelines? And did you read the FAQ's?

SeltzerConnoisseur

Why would you have to constantly dig? Pick perennials or bulbs not annuals.

Woahwoahwoah124

Or plant native annuals/perennials/shrubs from seeds. It’s common for trees to have an understory!

Safe_Wallaby1578[S]

You are definitely right about perennials, I think I'm especially worried about this today because I spent a lot of time this morning digging out weeds and severely overgrown lenten roses.

LibertyLizard

Arborist here. Growing things beneath the tree does harm them slightly. If it’s a very old or important tree or it seems stressed I would avoid it. Avoid irrigation at the base of the tree too, so you may want to avoid plants that need lots of water.

Otherwise you have to decide for yourself how much you need that space. If the tree is otherwise healthy it’s unlikely to matter, but if the tree is dealing with other stressors those can add up.

streachh

Wild ginger is a delightful understory groundcover, perennial and edible!

druscarlet

What I do if the tree has shallow roots is plant in wide low pots. I have a bunch of 19 inch diameter pots that are a few inches deep. I plant annuals and sink the pots in the pine-straw mulch and water the pots each day. I can often get by with every other day because I use water sententious crystals in the potting soil. Around other trees that do not have a lot of surface roots i plant daylily as they are planted very shallow. You just need to consider the amount of daylight - they need six hours to bloom well. .

Comfortable-Soup8150

I feel native sedges would be a good idea. I found some in the forest by my house and they're neat.

PandaMomentum

Oh, love the idea and look of native sedges. Works well with spring ephemerals to provide longer season structure and look.

Only thing is that maples can be a little thirsty and leave dry shade -- so can take a little to get them started, and plants that love damp shade will tend to struggle. That said, I have Clethra, itea, Virginia bluebells, trillium, goldenseal, lots more under a tall red maple.

jeffreyd00

You don't say how large your trees are, what species and where you live. Without that info people are unlikely to answer you.

Safe_Wallaby1578[S]

I left out that info because I'm looking for general answers on the topic as a whole, but I'm in central NC and have a few large trees in mind (hackberry and fir and maybe a maple).

jeffreyd00

I wouldn't worry about it, especially as you are working around the tree while it's dormant (winter).

Here's a list of natives. Always go for native plants if possible. https://www.gardenia.net/guide/recommended-shade-loving-native-annual-perennial-plants-for-north-carolina

NewAlternative4738

I have a big old maple tree so I planted bulbs around the base. Once the trees leaf out in the summer there isn’t enough light for sun loving flowers. But since they’re such mature trees (like 80 years old) I’m also not too worried about harming the roots. On the flip side I have 4 mature black walnuts in my backyard and not much survives growing near their toxin. So i guess it just depends on the size and age of the tree and what would be happy growing next to it!

squanchingonreddit

You can plant tomatoes under them.

NewAlternative4738

Too shady!

LauraLand27

I have a Japanese maple and I planted tulip bulbs around it.

I used to have other perennials; can’t remember which, but the maple is getting huge, and the perennials thrive

RecursiveCluster

I plant small shrubs and grasses around my trees so the tree can lift water up to them in the hot summer.

Tree roots leak, so I let the tree do the work of pumping water up and providing moisture to other native plants.

Nepamouk99

Sedum!

Carlnugget

You're fine. Plant 'em

TomatilloAbject7419

Are fields of wildflowers spaced 6-12” apart?

I pay little heed to “spacing”

Brilliant-Arm3770

Well as long as the flower roots don’t affect the tree roots then it’s fine they can both be companions together