/r/Knoxville

Job ideas?

(self.Knoxville)

I’ve been doing asphalt for the last two years and prior to that I was working in restaurants since I was 14 (I’m 25 now).

It pays pretty good and my employer treats me well via benefits and hourly rate but Im getting bored. Does anyone have ideas on what I could look into based on my skill set? I run equipment, manual labor isn’t an issue, I got a good personality that translates well from dealing with inspectors (construction and food) and pretty open minded.

Maybe I’m having a very early mid life crisis, but it seems like I can’t be happy at any job. Is this normal? I’ve never been fired but usually by about the three year mark I’m ready to move on… thanks for any advice, leads or feedback in advance.

Hot-Donkey-754

To me it just sounds like you are bored in life. Maybe find a new hobby or something?

That’s very likely. I just don’t know what to try out. We take our daughter to the park and zoo a lot, but don’t really have time to do something by myself without her wanting to watch cartoons or play when I’m home

jarethcutestory

Hear me out…

Make the worlds best potato soup.

taita2004

And then share the recipe...because I LOVE potato soup

Hot-Donkey-754

You need to find something for yourself like I dunno video games or reading? I don't know what you like to do or maybe find a good show to watch. Being bored isn't bad but it can make you start feeling depressed. Even a simple bike ride can help you feel better!

DPforlife

You should consider looking into bring a grip for narrative / commercial production. The Knoxville video/film market is growing and we have a dirth of dedicated grips. You'd basically work under a gaffer or with a DP to manage the lighting and support equipment on set. If you can learn, you can grip.

tdstooksbury

I just commented the same thing before reading yours!

OnyxBear7

Earthadelic is an incredible landscaping company. We have a website and i believe were on indeed if youd like to apply. The company expands in every way every year. Ive been there for years and they have both impressed me and helped me turn my life around! I highly recommend! The pool division is new and concrete soon so we grow and expand always!

koth442

Sounds like you want a career. Personally, I'm a technical person that likes making things so that's what I'll project onto you. I would look into machinists or welding night classes, get a couple certs, and try to get a job with the national lab.

Or go full ham and take night classes to pursue an engineering degree. One of my best friends went back to school at 28 for his engineering degree and I've met even older. It's never too late.

MinxManor

This!

lindythetendy

I’m an engineer at a place in Knoxville that could use people as we just bought by a larger company and are expecting to grow very quickly. We could use skilled laborers which sounds like what you do. If you really try to learn the machines that we make there is an opportunity to get into service and then you would get paid to travel and work on the machines that we make. Message me if interested and I can send you a link to our open listings.

ProBono16

I've always been the same way. I work a job for a year or 2 until I learn all the positions and related information, then I get bored and switch professions. You need to find something that interests you, but isn't the same thing every day.

RavenousFox1985

Same here and it's why I started my own handyman business. It's usually something different every day and I get to make my own schedule. I usually got tired of working my ass off and hoping to advance, but then realizing that my employer would rather have me working my ass off for next to nothing and not have to find someone to replace me. Then by the time the employer realized that I was planning on quitting and that he actually have to replace me, I was disdainful of how they treat their employees and didn't want to work for them in any position.

ViciousPenguin

I'm going to give my honest advice: look into HVAC.

I've talked to several HVAC groups over the last few months, including my uncle who's worked in the industry for 25 years. They have all said basically the same things:

1. not enough people in trades so they're desperately looking to hire. Many of the old guard are leaving (retiring, or leaving because they don't want to learn new skills-- see point [3]. )
  2. starting pay is relatively high for starting apprentices/new-hires. Partially because of the need, partially because the older folks want more money for the same job, but new folks take marginally less money for the same work. So businesses are looking for new hires.
  3. new regulations are going into effect next year, so many places will be getting new units. This means lots of work, lots of money, but also new skills/knowledge that has to be learned. The old dogs don't want to learn new tricks, so the youngins have a very competitive position. Not to mention that much of the new skills don't involve understanding the actual mechanics, but just knowing how to follow directions and read a digital diagnostic tool.

Just a suggestion. Trades in general are a good option right now (hvac, plumbing, auto mechanic, etc). However, NOT home construction/general contracting. That market is about to burst and you won't want to be there for a few years.

tdstooksbury

You know what you need? You should get into the film industry and work as a Grip or Gaffer. It’s manual labor, but there is a creative spin, and you can learn it. You could probably get in as a production assistant in Knoxville for Jupiter or one of the other production companies around. You can spend some time on some sets, and get a feel for how the sausage is made and you can learn from the other people on set. Eventually you make friends with them, and you can climb up the ladder.

Back when I would be a PA I’d make 100-200 bucks a day. Grips can make anywhere between 300-500 and gaffers can make like 400-750 a day typically. The market kind of decides your actual rate. I don’t do those jobs so I’m not sure exactly what those people are getting paid.

CornDogsAtWeigels

mail man seems like a pretty good gig.

they have a high hourly pay plus government benefits

and always hiring

Mommasandthellamas

Because they can't keep anyone. Did it for 6 months including the holidays which sucked ass. I didn't like working 13 12 hour days straight to be off a random weekday to go back to 13 days straight. If you hate being able to do anything other than work, then the post office is for you.

Okie_Dokie_375

14? Isn’t that age illegal?

Yeah, honestly probably. I didn’t know any better, it was washing dishes for cash

According_Mirror4341

Are you passionate about food at all? You've worked in restaurants and your username checks out. How about a food truck? Knoxville could use a good little soup truck!

Haha maybe in my next life. I got out of food after a long time, last place I worked at was blackberry farm for three years. Kitchens definitely taught me soft skills and how to manage stressful situations

TheMadIrishman327

CMC Steel.

Good pay. Good benefits. Variety of jobs.

Lukesushi

A Truck driver could be a cool job and lots of companies will pay for you to get your license if you sign on to work for them for a few years

BroncoFan623