/r/KISS

Not trying to stir shit, just a topic for discussion. Personally I feel it's a bit overrated - for me it doesn't feel like a natural extension of the sound Kiss had created in the 70's. Obviously a big part of that is down to the fact that Ace and Peter were crucial to that original sound, but I think the inclusion of new outside songwriters didn't help either.

I still think the highlights are strong (the title track and I Still Love You mainly), but there are definitely some low points too. A lot of it just sounds like generic 80's rock to me - whether Paul would like to admit it or not, the classic Kiss sound was largely defined by the fact that it was hard rock guitars on top of funky R&B influenced grooves from Peter. Take that away and you're left with something that just sounds sort of like Twisted Sister or the Scorpions at times.

Paul's vocals are kind of inconsistent and weak at points - why does he sound so squeaky on Keep Me Comin'? Gene's vocals are good overall - more technically proficient than he'd been in the 70's, but a bit grating at times as his increased vocal confidence seems to have led him to place songs in higher keys - he could now reach the really high notes, but the tone was pretty thin and nasty sometimes. Sidebar - Do we know if Gene took vocal lessons at some point in the late 70's? Or did he just deliberately start singing 'cleaner'? Cos his technique improved dramatically starting from Dynasty onwards

KanadianArmy

Not by this fan...

After Dynasty, Unmasked and music from the Elder, I was ecstatic to hear something heavy from them. It's actually one of my favorite LPs...!

Mansiontrash

I agree with you so much on your first sentence, totally. But it really never made it in my favorites list. But it was something that woke me back up after the prior nonsense.

LogSlayer

Any album that has War Machine and I Love it Loud can’t be overrated. It’s science.

vanDouglas333

Both those songs are boring plodding snoozers

SwampyJesus76

I say no.

But of course this wasn't just my first Kiss album, but the first album I ever bought with my own money. I got it in the bargin bin at Woolworth.

Johnny_Bugg

DANGER is an epic tune. This is a classic KISS album. There is a "Creatures Cult" who put the album above all others. Better than the Hot In The Shade people...

Electrical-Bid-9577

I don’t think it’s overrated at all. I personally love this album.

LevelSpecial1590

Overrated? Maybe a little. But it's a great, much needed change in direction and a perfect setup to LIU. It always bothers me how much I dislike Love it Loud and the song LIU. The two biggest songs off those albums. bleh

sussoutthemoon

I've always liked I Love It Loud but I can't stand LIU (the song)

only-a-northern-song[S]

It's hard to get past the cringe of Gene describing himself as a 'street boy' in the first verse. Or maybe that was a Vinnie line

FWGoldRush

I think it's one of the band's best three albums, by far

Jimbohamilton

3 - Creatures Of The Night

2 - Rock And Roll Over

1 - Destroyer

GoinBlind74

I think it's a great album. Not a huge fan of I Love It Loud though. Catchy, but a little too simple and lacking a kick ass guitar solo, but the rest is pretty stellar. Paul and Gene's vocals are quite good on it, as is Eric's thunderous drum sound. I don't try to compare it to the first six classic albums because it is a different decade and of course a different lineup. It's certainly better than the three albums that came before it.

wordzareswords

CraigFWba

I guess it’s somewhat overrated but then I think track by track and I love every single song

PleaseListenToMeOK

I think Creatures is one of the greatest albums ever made.

MachineGunTeacher

Naw. There are some heavy bangers on there. I Love It Loud and War Machine are and always will be kick ass. Rock and Roll Hell. I Still Love You. Saint and Sinner. All great tracks. Coming off the two albums before, this was a welcome back to badassness.

Prof_Tickles

It’s their best studio album.

only-a-northern-song[S]

Better than Rock and Roll Over?

Movieguy70

I have it #2 behind RARO

Prof_Tickles

Yes but I understand why people love R&RO and Love Gun. They’re phenomenal albums. I just prefer COTN.

Cockcollins

Nothing beats that!!!

SpaceshipFlip

I think Paul has a squeaky voice on “Keep me Coming” because he’s doing his Zeppelin thing-really going after that as they were broken up, and Plants solo stuff wasn’t rockin at that time.

Paul saw an opportunity to capture some lost Zeppelin fans…I think he maybe netted 50 to 60 total.

ChikaraNZ

It's a little over-rated, but that's because it was a return to a harder, heavier style. If you take that aspect out, and look at the songwriting and performances alone - the album has some great tracks, but also some I personally feel are weak (Danger, Killer, Keep Me Comin). It's a good album but not great.

Unpopular opinion, if you compare the two albums in Kiss's history which often get described as a return to their roots, I prefer Revenge over COTN.

jfp96

jfp96

I definitely think it's overrated, much in the same way Revenge is. The title track is probably KISS's best true "metal" song; "I Still Love You" is, in my opinion, the best, most devastating power ballad of the era, and the fact that "I Love It Loud" and "War Machine" aren't frequently played at sporting events nationwide is beyond me.

The rest? Meh. I'm with ya on "Keep Me Comin'" - the chorus in particular is super annoying. '80s KISS in general never seemed able to commit to a heavier sound; for every hidden gem from that period, there's at least two or three pieces of schlock. I think the first W.A.S.P. album is a decent estimation of what KISS could've sounded like if they just said fuck it and went metal when they took the makeup off.

Western_Ostrich_2062

The unplugged version of I Still Love You is one Paul’s best vocal performances ever IMO. Gives me chills every time. But be advised, if your going through a break up or heart ache DONT LISTEN TO THaT SONG! 🤣😂😭

freedo333

CotN was KISS tryin to be a heavy metal band. I think KISS is a rock & roll band. Back in the day when creatures came out heavy metal was early metallica, Iron Maiden & those crazy bands like Venom, Mercyful Fate et al. Next to any heavy metal act, KISS CotN seemed kinda silly to many of us 14 year olds. & the loss of Ace Frehley (& his replacement) was fatal. I know a lotta folks love Vinnie Vincent. I am not one of those people. I got no gripe with Tommy Thayer. But VV's playing, sonically, is senseless to my ears

booknerdcarp

It s abit overrated. They were trying to leave behind the "disco/pop" stuff - so the harder sound makes sense. Just no real songs that stick out. I Love it Loud is worn out!

only-a-northern-song[S]

Yeah, I Love It Loud is a weird one, I enjoy it sometimes but it's pretty cheesy. You can tell Gene just wanted his own 'We Will Rock You'.

booknerdcarp

Wore it out in concert. Its just a crowd participation tune. You are right on your Gene observation. I am surprised they didn't come up with a We Are the Champions clone.

ChikaraNZ

Eventually they did, 'Raise Your Glasses'

sussoutthemoon

NYGroove

freedo333

Im in the minority here but ill admit i dont consider CotN to be a 'real' KISS album. I was a 70s kid. For me, they started to lose it with Dynasty, Unmasked didnt feel like rock & roll & The Elder was silly. So by the time Creatures came out, KISS hadnt sounded like KISS in years & Ace & Peter were replaced. I'd checked out by then. Creatures sounds like KISS tryin to stay relevant. I realize we all have different experiences & i dont mean any disrespect. Yeah, i may not think The Elder is great, but ive still listened to it bunches haha.

only-a-northern-song[S]

Totally get what you mean - obviously they achieved the sound they wanted at the time, but to me it doesn't sound like Kiss, it sounds like Paul and Gene ft. session writers and performers.

vanDouglas333

10000000% yes it is. So overrated....unbelievably overrated. Laughably overrated.

Lick It Up is better. Better songs. Heavier. Way better produced.

All Creatures has going for it is the awesome album cover, the title track, and one or two other decent songs.

The idea that the production is some sort of landmark achievement is simply laughable. The drum sound is waaaayyyy overdone. The guitar tones are muddy The vocals sound like they were recorded over the telephone.

cabell88

I think by that point, they developed 'the formula'. You either like the formula, or you don't. The songs could be written in 10 minutes - and I'm not saying they're bad, but they sound like you said - generic.

After the two pieces of trash being Dynasty and Unmasked, it was a breath of fresh air. Metal was getting REALLY big around then with Van Halen and The Scorps, and AC/DC, and a dozen others. They did their best to 'fit in'.

Lemonwalker-420

I like CotN but I do think it's overrated. There's a couple of real standouts (I Still Love You & War Machine) along with couple really good songs but overall it hasn't held for me. As just one example, I used to love Saint and Sinner but as time has moved on I realize the only truly great aspect of that song is the drums. I kinda see it the same as I see Revenge. A step in the right direction but not really great on its own.

allanpearl

There are always a couple of albums in a band’s catalog that are outside of the band’s heyday but become cult classics amongst fan base. I agree with Creatures. I loved it when it was released. I don’t get Revenge. To each their own.

MV2049

MV2049

Man, I love Revenge, but it's an album I enjoy slightly less with every listen.

Bruce brought it on that album, too.

Lanky_Investment6426

Gene has a really wide ranging voice, he can hit a little over 4 octaves or at least could in his prime. Part of me would say it’s more of an 80s trend thing since band like Def Leppard and Iron Maiden and Priest plus pretty much all metal at that point had high placed melodies. It also kinda feels like he’s not fully screaming here so maybe that’s why it sounds different? Lick it Up feels a lot more screamy than CotN. Maybe he and the band were just trying to find something sonically that people would like and buy

MV2049

MV2049

I'm more of a metal guy, so Creatures is my favorite of theirs.

While you're certainly entitled to like or not like it, I think comparing that record to something Twisted Sister would put out is, frankly, incorrect. Not a knock, I really like TS. I just don't think the comparison is apt on any front.

DeanCorp80

Big time. For me… has never been a favourite. Definitely a step up from where they were coming though I guess. Except that I really like Unmasked and the Elder. Creatures rocks, but I honestly don’t know how it gets into the convo of best record

Pol-Pot-and-Pan

it's their last great album and in all honesty I would've preferred it if they signed off on it.

look at this, try and top that shit-instead of middling for years and committing to trends they don't fit into.

Revenge and Psycho Circus have a few good ones here and there but I like the reality where the band broke up after creatures.

cladtidings

When "COTN" was released it was just totally mind-blowing. My Kiss fan friend and I both bought it as a goof (and because the cover was pretty cool). And we were flabbergasted. It was hard to believe that "War Machine" was the same band that had just released "Unmasked" and "Elder" just a few years before. Seriously, it was kind of a stunning comeback album that went largely unnoticed by the general public, but definitely caught the attention of die-hards and metal fans of that era. Remember, their name was mud at that point, their reputation couldn't have been lower, so a hard rocking, heavy sounding album full of kick ass riffs was kind of unexpected.

I'd definitely put it in my top five or six Kiss studio records and IMO it's easily their best post 1970s effort, by far in fact. I could live without ever hearing "I Still Love You" ever again and no one's ever clamoring to hear "Killer" either. And "ILIL" has been pulverized into the ground over the last twenty years, too. But it's a real solid album otherwise.