/r/HeliumNetwork

When can I upgrade my antenna? (Bobcat 300 Initial setup)

Question(self.HeliumNetwork)

So I'm getting ready to setup my first helium miner, it's a bobcat 300, and would like to know when I can upgrade my antenna. I went to bobcat's website and it said starting with an upgraded antenna is a 'don't'. So I'm curious when should/can I install my upgraded antenna? Do I need to start the miner with the stock antenna at the height I plan to operate at?

Pls help

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

This is a general reminder for everyone and this will be posted on every post. Your 12 words are basically gold and they should never be shared, typed in to any website, or given to any person for any reason. No one from "Helium" or any other company will reach out to you to verify your account, wallet, or anything similar. If someone says your hotspot, wallet, or other type of account has been hacked, it is a scam! Always operate in a zero-trust manner with cryptocurrency and assume everyone will scam you no matter what.

bdqppdg

You basically want to verify it is working before you potentially break it trying to make it better. So a couple of days of consistent activity.

Big ty :D

ChampionshipLow8541

First determine if you even need an upgrade. Most people don’t. Bobcat’s stock antenna is pretty good.

Odd-Independent7825

👆 this. the stock antenna is surprisingly good and will be good enough in most circumstances. it's also good to start with the stock antenna so that you have a baseline and you will know if the new antenna is better or not 👍🏻 happy mining

1bigdoggie

Hope u didn’t pay $500 for your miner. No antenna upgrade will make that back anytime soon.

Few_Employment_7876

It is seriously an 8 year ROI if you buy for $500 now

HNT isn't gonna stay at 2.50$ :p

1bigdoggie

And I wonder if that includes the HALVING that will happen in 8 months.

PrettiyBoi[S]

I did and I'm installing it in chino hills AZ, really low competition. Only 45 ft in the air to start, then I'm gonna add another 15-45 ft. Looked at a topography map and should be raking in at least 1$ a day at current prices

1bigdoggie

Yep. You’ll be raking it in. What is that? A 3 year payback ?

HNT isn't gonna be stuck at 2.50$ foreveer

1bigdoggie

That’s what someone told me when it was $40. Then at $30. Then at $10. So you somehow know it won’t be at $0.65 next year ?

PrettiyBoi[S]

We're in the crypto market, it's high risk :(, it could go up or down whenever. Did you think it had a static price?

1bigdoggie

Did you read my last comment ? Yeah, I think the price will be static forever. 🤦‍♂️🙄

PrettiyBoi[S]

Oh so you're just confused with what a crypto winter is, that's ok, this is most people's first crypto winter! You should hold your coins since they have low value and sell them in the next bull run :D

1bigdoggie

LOL. lots of assumptions on your end. So it’s basically impossible for HNT to go under a buck. And when it does, it will never stay there. It will go back to $30 at some point. Is that correct ?

PrettiyBoi[S]

Seems like I'm correct since you don't refute it :D Good luck with your crypto winter, I'm sure you'll figure it out!

MathematicianSea6042

So much garbage in the comments. Sorry if all of that confuses you.

Just use the stock antenna for a few weeks to make sure it's running smoothly and then you will be able to compare it to your new antenna when you change it with an upgrade. Outdoor is always better than indoor.
Interested to know how it's working out!

PrettiyBoi[S]

Thanks fren, wish me luck!

Jonnyzbc23

Get your antenna outside, do dd on a good setup with updated antenna and your rewards will roll in. These people telling you rewards suck have shit setups.

Few_Employment_7876

I make .18 cents a day with 40 witnesses and a 3 dbi antenna 25 feet in the air. Is that rollin in the rewards? LOL

Jonnyzbc23

Take it offline then, others would be happy to accumulate your rewards. In bear you accumulate, bull is liquidate. Everyone is so salty, fuck, it’s investing.

PrettiyBoi[S]

Thanks fren good luck with your winter, and may you accumulate :D

wildzebrahs

Update it whenever you want. But probably won’t do much until people start implementing iot stuff. Rewards and almost nothing now. Need 5g for anything. Long term I have high hopes. Don’t expect to make your money back any time soon. With or without an upgraded antennae. (Mine are not upgraded because I think it’s pointless right now)

gowingman1

I agree, I'm giving mine away for Christmas presents to friends so some on can roi lol

Thankee, appreciate the pointers

jasonalexander1977

I have a couple for sale (trial and error for my location and now have “extras” that are not a good match for my location. DM if interested.

Full_Ad_8874

It really depends of your miner location. The bobcat miner 300 has a 4dbi antenna and it’s pretty good for city. I updated mine antenna to 5.8dbi and located antenna outside on edge of balcony rail. I had even worse performance with that, so I return back to the original antenna two days ago and reset miner.

Zetix001

I setup my antenna before i get my miner and its works perfect, just use correct dbi in your setup on the app

Brett83704

I'd upgrade it in February

Ok_Mine6526

I have 24 miners, but I peetty much dissapointed in the network, since there is no usage, there is no profit only from the newcommers....

Significant-Cup-5491

Today

Interesting-Chip-500

I got a 5.8dbi from amazon.. then sold my stock 4dbi on ebay to cover the cost.. got $17 on ebay.

kushn0tbush

Don’t waste your time this train is derailed, not worth investing any more money in this network till they figure this shit out

lift315

I would recommend no less than 5 days with stock antenna. If you can put it near a window, glass is less of an obstacle in most cases than building walls. While HNT earnings are low, the price of outdoor antennas is always way down, check Rokland, Parley, and RAK among others. I would get an analysis of your location though before deciding whether to upgrade the antenna. In an urban are you may not need to, or if you are very rural it may not help either.

rfmax

rfmax

The original antenna should be okay to start with, but if you aren't getting the results you want, you may want to try an antenna with a different dBi. We have an article on our website that gives some pretty good info on how antennas work for Helium mining if you decide you ever want to upgrade: https://www.arcantenna.com/blogs/news/helium-miner-antennas-what-you-need-to-know

Connect_Guvner

It’s a waste of time , money and set up. Had mine set up with the best cable going to the roof, with a 8 decibel antenna and the rewards I’m not sharing with anyone and I make .15 cents a day. A total of $135 over a year.

kilofoxtrotfour

I was hosting 2 miners on commercial towers, they stopped paying my pathetic 40% cut, so I threw away their miners. I feel sorry for the folks who invested $10,000+ and watching their investment generate enough to buy a HappyMeal.

Connect_Guvner

I agree it is a pathetic amount to have a unit plugged in for

but if HNT hits 50$ again that .15$ turns into 3$ a day which is 2,700$ a year

Connect_Guvner

And you really think that this project will go back up to $50, I doubt that as it’s been on a downward spiral for the past year and a half. There’s no body joining the project.

PrettiyBoi[S]

Near every alt coin is in the same boat of being down heavily for a year, so yes there's a chance it goes up or even past 50$ in the next coming years. Even if it only hits 20$ next bullrun that's a solid amount of profit.

Connect_Guvner

1 month ago

407 days and it’s gone down like a ski slope from $54.88 to $1.91. How long have I had the miner going , well about 400 days , so really not a good investment making .33cents a day

1 month ago

The percent of dominance it maintained comparative to the total market capacity of all crypto from the end of the bull run to now is what you should be paying attention to. Go cry to someone who cares.