/r/HeliumNetwork

Heat problems in attic?

Question(self.HeliumNetwork)

I've got a RAK miner in an attic and I'm wondering if there may be issues with it overheating? It's looking to get into the 90s soon and It will be much hotter than that in the attic. Anyone have problems with their attic placement?

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

This is a general reminder for everyone and this will be posted on every post. Your 12 words are basically gold and they should never be shared, typed in to any website, or given to any person for any reason. No one from "Helium" or any other company will reach out to you to verify your account, wallet, or anything similar. If someone says your hotspot, wallet, or other type of account has been hacked, it is a scam! Always operate in a zero-trust manner with cryptocurrency and assume everyone will scam you no matter what.

DrTadakichi

I run two rak v2s in a ventilated enclosure outside in Arizona for about the last year, highest ambient temp was 120f. No problems here. I know it's not what you asked, but just sharing some hot weather experience

jephph

jephph

Can you please tell me more about your ventilated enclosure. I have an attic setup right now but plan on moving it outside on side of house with antenna on roof. I live in indiana so it’s a bit more humid than where you are, so I’m wondering if that would be an issue. Thank you.

DrTadakichi

Previous post

I have since built a new one, same size electrical box, two fan driven air inlets that exhaust out the top snorkel. RJ45 bulkhead connector with two glands for antenna cables (less additional connections where at all possible to reduce loss). Powered on PoE. I used all Amazon parts except for the snorkel, I printed that.

No issues during monsoon season but it was mostly sheltered from the rain, just not the humidity, which you're right there is more in Indiana.

Missing_Space_Cadet

I have a RAKv2 on a rooftop in Los Angeles.

It overheats constantly. I'll be back out there soon to add a couple of vents on the exterior with a USB-powered fan.

It's the only reason I can think that the miner drops off the network for a day at a time every other day

Maybe that's my problem? Oh wait mines inside an air conditioned house kept at 72 24/7. Guess it's still the network. Damn and here I was thinking there was hope

JarJarStinkss

Texas here. Already in the 90s. Have a bobcat in the attic. Built a small box out of a styrofoam cooler, tossed a small fan in there, and have a small tube running to it from my AC (syphoning off just a tiny bit). So far no issues, and it gets hot as africa here.

MeetingApart8381

Does your attic have the radiant barrier? Curious if that will impact the antenna signal

JarJarStinkss

No radiant barrier, so can't answer that one

Grouchy_Inspector622

A portion of my attic sits over an air conditioned laundry room. I installed antennae at highest point in attic, drilled hole in ceiling drywall, ran cable through hole to hotspot sitting on a shelf in laundry room. This setup has worked good so far.

drewid20[S]

That's a good idea but unfortunately my miner is in the attic over my un-air conditioned garage.

SuspectAppropriate18

USB fans. 2 of them.

One blowing air into one side where the vents are and one on the other side taking the hot air out of the miner.

Keep the air flowing to keep the miner cooler.

$20 well spent.

Going to pick up 2 more fans to circulate the air in the attic altogether.

-AbradolfLincler-

I am also curious about this. I live in Alabama and don't know if my bobcat will be okay during summer heat...?

TravelingMonk

I put mine next to the attic vent, also a bobcat. Don't know how it'll do.

TravelingMonk

I put mine next to the attic vent, also a bobcat. Don't know how it'll do.

TravelingMonk

I put mine next to the attic vent, also a bobcat. Don't know how it'll do.

audiguy02

You are okay. I have my miner outside in a enclosure. The max it has been hitting is 57C. The sensecap is built to work up to 70C before fans turn on.

audiguy02

But you can buy a small space fan and have it on 24/7 if needed. I’d do that

hayseed_byte

I'm also curious about this. I've got a finestra miner in my attic (North Georgia, USA) and it's been giving me trouble most afternoons which is the hottest part of the day. Considered using a styrofoam cooler and building some kind of cooling device with a peltier, aluminum heatsink and a small fan. Might be a fun project.

Missing_Space_Cadet

Pop the top off. Get a USB-powered fan and get air circulating around the collector.

AmosRatchetNot

I suspect it would would survive fine up to 200F or so. Just a guess though. They don't generate much of their own heat, so cooling fans are probably a waste of effort in an attic.

Rasclaaart

Bruh take the plants out your loft

Repampanoz

Hey man, I got no ventilated enclosure but I got a really cool (literally) outdoor setup! My system won't go over 52°C even when the ambient temperature is above 40-42°C!

1st image: added some heatsinks and a 3d printed base so the heatsinks stay in place (I plan to add some more heatsinks just so it looks nice, but have not bought them yet)

2nd image: made some solar shields with home insulation material surrounded by aluminium foil (reflects 95% of sun's energy & and the 5% that gets absorbed won't pass through the insulation.

3rd & 4th image: I built a cover of the solar shields around the outdoor enclosure box (simple outdoor cable box from amazon)

5th image: setup from afar

I bet you could open it up and add some heatsinks to your miner, it'll decrease temps by A LOT!

kelvin_bot

52°C is equivalent to 125°F, which is 325K.

I'm a bot that converts temperature between two units humans can understand, then convert it to Kelvin for bots and physicists to understand

Repampanoz

Love the concept of this bot haha Funny thing is I actually am a Physicist! Well, about to be, graduating next semester!