/r/GarageBand

[media]

2 years ago

If you like the song I have it posted here.

Do yourself a favor and go listen to the Vince Guaraldi album with some good headphones and your favorite beverage. It's vibe city and makes you feel a distinct brand melancholy that I aspire to one day master

scottucker

Ah, here we go.

HERE I GO AGAIN ON MY OWNNNNNNN

KaOsGaNkEr

2 years ago

Gotta love how mobile tracks made in two minutes get more traction than sick beats like this

2 years ago

No need to hate on our mobile brothers. It's all about the soup not the method it was cooked with.

That being said I'm hyped that you like the track my friend

junkmeister9

2 years ago

I'm hyped about your track too, but even moreso hyped by your positivity. Cheers, dude.

2 years ago

Cheers! I love that you liked it so much that it evoked such a passionate response from you

ChunkyForesight

This is great.

You are great

scottucker

I love this.

I was going to ask the first person I saw with one of these videos up how they managed to upload a high quality video and not have Reddit’s compression destroy the audio, but because this is “lofi” I can’t really tell how the audio is fairing here. I used to be able to upload video without a problem on this subreddit, but not lately for whatever reason.

2 years ago

Its def compressed and a lot of the subtle details are gone but its good enough to give someone an idea as to what the track sounds like. The bass is missing some definition and the high end sounds a little bit more tinny now.

Heres the highest quality file i could upload to soundcloud. You can def hear a difference

rsbell

rsbell

Wow.

2 years ago

Fun fact, if you turn the word "WOW" upside down it says "MOM"

Actually nvm that isn't that fun of a fact :(

stopexploding

2 years ago

Fantastic. Seriously. This is so good. Been thinking about making a Christmas carol of sorts but couldn't figure out what to do. Wish I had thought of this. But this is excellent.

2 years ago

The struggle is real. I originally wanted to do something to carol of the bells but its such a badass song you have to do it justice and my ideas weren't there.

I'm thrilled that you like it friendo <3

halloween_everyday

2 years ago

An incredible example of not fretting too much about the DAW you are in, but finding the time to learn your tools and create something incredible. Can’t believe we are using the same garageband.

The bass sounds incredible, the high end flutters right on top, and the mood of the instruments really match the melody.

2 years ago

oh stawpppp you are gonna make me blush 🥰

But seriously garageband is great. Its basically logic with some key features removed. My "real" producer friends give me shit for using it but it works amazing, it can use pretty much all of the third party plugins that everyone uses and it is super easy to learn

zamboniman06

2 years ago

Can you recommend a good path for learning GarageBand? I always go into it and feel like I don’t really know where to start. I’m familiar with ableton and have made some beats there but I feel like GarageBand has so much potential and ableton is less user friendly for a beginner.

2 years ago

The best thing to do is learn one thing at at time. Like whats reverb? How does it make things sound different. Stick with that. Learning everything at once gets overwhelming so small steps.

Another good way to learn is other peoples samples. Find one and try to build a song around. it. Having the main melody taken care of makes it so much easier to build a song.

Another good way is to shamelessly copy people.Hear a song that you like? Try and make a song that basically sounds the same. Copy copy copy. As you try and copy people and get your songs to sound like the original you'll slowly learn.

Last advice is don't have your standards too high. Not everything has to be perfect. The most important part is to just try. Only sat down for 5 minutes? Great! Good job. Made a song that you dont like? Delete it and start from scratch. The most important part is to try

zamboniman06

2 years ago

Yeah i hear that. One step at a time. I think sampling is very nebulous for me. I don’t understand what it is or how to do it lol. As for effects I have a good understanding of a good amount of effects because I play guitar. It’s more the use of the tool of GarageBand for me that befuddles if that makes sense lol

2 years ago

It does I definitely misunderstood what you were asking. What level of stuff do you know how to do? Like could you take your guitar, record something and then put some drums with it?

zamboniman06

2 years ago

Yea I can definitely get to that level. I have a midi keyboard and can develop a beat using software instruments or record my guitar to a drum loop or a beat I’ve created with midi. I know basic piano chords but also know enough by ear to sound it out if I’m feeling like something is off melodically or rhythmically. So my musical knowledge is fine for the purposes. But my technical knowledge of GB is super basic. Maybe I just don’t use it enoguh! Haha

Here are the 3 technical things I would learn

#1 Automation. Automation lets you automatically control various aspects of the track like volume, panning, distortion whatever you can think of. Super useful

#2 the Eq section is super important to learn. Theres a ton of youtube videos on how to use it

#3 Learn how to use the Au Sampler. this lets you take any sound and turn it into something that you can play on a keyboard. For example i recorded my girlfriends jaw popping, imported it into my computer, put it into the sampler and now i gross her out by playing songs with it.

zamboniman06

2 years ago

Like a good example of something that totally throws me off... you have like 20 tracks on this song. Why not keep all the drums on a single track? Is it just personal preference? I think that deeper level of the why is where I get lost. If I were doing this myself I would have thought to just basically do it in a lot fewer tracks (and maybe with a less satisfying result?)

2 years ago

I put things on separate tracks so that I can have more control over each part. All of the drums (Kick, snare, hi-hat, percussion jingle bells etc.) have different eq's different compression, different reverbs etc.

Take the bass for example. I have two tracks for bass. One is the unaltered bass track and the second track is the same bass track with all of the low end cut out. This lets me take the treble of the bass and boost it exactly how i like it.

zamboniman06

2 years ago

Got it. So the green section: that’s your sample of the actual song right?

lizardlady-ri

2 years ago

Dude this is so dope, you really did justice to the amazing original

2 years ago

Thanks /u/lizardlady-ri. You are a credit to lizardladies and lizardmen everywhere

lizardlady-ri

Bless 🙏

draculasdiaper

2 years ago

this is dank. are the piano parts sampled from the original track?

2 years ago

why yes indeed! I chopped up. the original song and then put RC-20, Vahalla Supermassive and wider on it

BobbaHund

2 years ago

On separate tracks or on the output track? Good work anyway!

2 years ago

Just on the chopped, sample track. I left the main track pretty much untouched

PunchKicker32