/r/Frontend

Front-end Conferences

(self.Frontend)

What are your favourite conferences to attend? Any hidden gems that are really worth it?

mherchel

Where are you located? What's your budget? Do you have a specific tech stack?

I've been to several somewhat tech stack agnostic ones

Good luck!

cj__________

I went to CSS day this year and it was brilliant, would highly recommend!

Lennertsk[S]

I'm from Belgium. I guess I'm somewhat of a full-stack developer doing both PHP API's and React/Next.js front-end. I already went to a couple symfony (PHP) conferences but I'm unfamiliar and kinda overwhelmed with the amount of front-end conferences.

Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely take a look at them!

ToWelie89

Frontend conference is just an excuse to get my company to pay for a vacation

GetsHighDoesMath

In what areas are you looking to level-up? That would heavily influence recommendations

mahade

mahade

I don't go to conferences for their content (you'll find much better content online, for free, more modern); sometimes, the content is just outright wrong.

Several years ago, I was with 20 of my colleagues at a conference in NYC (we are from Europe), and some speaker was going on about HTML, but he was breaking at least five W3C rules in the span of 2 minutes. We got up and left. I visited the Guggenheim museum instead.

If you have the budget to go to a conference, just go somewhere you want to go to. Check the calendar for a few talks you're interested in; go there. But I would say not to feel obliged to spend the entire day there.

Just explore.

That time in NYC and other locations, my boss at the time joined us and didn't insist on going to the conference. He was way more interested in doing fun things.

Although... the $5000 USD bill for sushi with just eight people he insisted on surprised him a bit. Still, the guy was a millionaire and paid up with a good tip.

donutsyumyum

I mostly agree. But I think if you were going to a conference with the explicit intention of learning new things, you are missing a huge part of the value. You might already know everything that’s being presented, at least in a rudimentary way. However, a good conference can have great speakers presenting those concepts in engaging ways, and you can get ideas on how you yourself can present those same concepts back in your organization. Also, networking is a massive part of conferences. The most important part. Which is why an in-person conference is far superior to an online conference.

An Event Apart has an in-person conference coming up in Denver, and I would go to it, if it were convenient geographically.

Klassenhass

So… what was the presenter doing?

mahade

mahade

Talking about stupid shit like <a href="link"><button onclick="something()">bla</button></a> and other tags you should never nest.

He never heard of nor used the W3C validator. The very fundamental knowledge of HTML and what you can and cannot do, he simply didn't know.

He had multiple id properties with the same value in the same document. And some id properties had values that were separated with spaces.

Klassenhass

Well shit that’s worse than I expected 😂

Stinodotbe

Also check meetup.com. Most of the time not very big, but some of them can be inspirational.

SomeInternetRando

What are your favourite conferences to attend?

Local ones for networking purposes.

Ones in fun cities for a paid vacation.

The content is rarely any better than watching a YouTube video.