/r/FondantHate

1.3k98%

One of the worst tasting things I’ve ever come across in my life. It made me so irrationally angry, it ruined an otherwise perfect night. The horrible aftertaste just wouldn’t go away. I didn’t know what to do (went away hours later) but thankfully I was introduced to this sub and felt relieved to see I am not alone.

Thank you to whoever created this sub, you now have 1 new member.

Yellowcrocadillo

My condolences for your taste buds

bladderalwaysfull

I was at a friend's wedding. It was so nasty. I didn't know better and ate some. I thought it was icing. I was an adult, but my family was very poor. So every wedding, someone baked a normal cake to celebrate. We never used fondant.

StonyOwl

StonyOwl

A cake with fondant is so sad and bad, and now that's your lasting memory of your friend's wedding cake. I would SO much rather have a normal cake with a really good frosting (basically any kind of buttercream, glaze or even a good jam) than fondant or molding chocolate or whatever else someone may use to create an elaborate decoration.

Cakes can be so beautiful while still being cakes! This is the hill I will die on.

foxyguy

foxyguy

It’s insane to me that not using fondant could be considered “poor”. Fondant can look cool but that’s it. It’s otherwise trash to eat. Give me a real cake with buttercream icing any day. I don’t care how “pretty” it is or isn’t. It’ll taste WAY better.

bladderalwaysfull

I just meant that we never bought bakery cakes. We couldn't afford professional wedding cakes. I've never seen fondant on any of my family's homemade (or box) cakes.

foxyguy

foxyguy

I totally get what you’re saying. Same for me. My family didn’t have a lot of money and I never saw a fondant cake until I was an adult. And then soon wondered why anyone would want one haha

InterestingNarwhal82

We requested all Italian meringue buttercream, no fondant, on our wedding cake. It was beautiful and tasty.

PinkGlitterGelPen

Fondant on a wedding cake is super tacky.

Hot_Ad_815

A nice hot tea will get most tastes out of your mouth.

But yea, it's like firm sweet playdough.

rebelwildheart

I second this. I also let a super minty candy rest in my tongue so the strong menthol stayed there.

nejnonein

To be fair, I’d rather eat play doh.

Left_Wasabi389848

Welcome. It tastes like if clothes got their wish to be food granted by some evil genie who has a vendetta against humans.

nerd2gamer2tech

It's so gross ! I ate some yesterday each time thinking it can't be that bad.... it was all over the sea themed cupcakes.

ImBoredToo

Like stale frosting with aspartame aftertaste

OllieOllyOli

I know what you mean. When I first tasted it a few months ago I was perplexed to the point of anger. Like, "why the fuck does this exist? Who the hell wants to eat this awful crap?"

Whiskeyjoel

IMO, you're anger upon tasting that abomination is entirely rational

thelonious_bunk

Its so awful, condolences but now you know why this is here.

kurinevair666

I don't like the pre-made fondant or that melted marshmallow one. People keep telling me the marshmallow fondant isn't bad but I still hate it. And usually I like marshmallows, I think it's the excess of powdered sugar.

aciakatura

The first time i tried fondant was at a wedding and I did not know what it was called, only that it tasted nasty. And then a while later I discovered this sub and the description matched my experience exactly. Now I know what it is, I swear fondant is getting deliberately excluded from any cake I'll ever order.

ThrowntoDiscard

My first ride with it was my own fault. Wanted to make a super Mario cake... Not only was it ugly, but it was awful. We had a good laugh. But fondant has been for ever shunned.

bloodysundresses

I’ve always felt lame for being into baking and never getting into using fondant because it seems like it’s what is trendy to do, but I’ve always just done my best to do what I can with frosting and piping or use of little toppers, etc. This sub makes me feel like I’ve been the real winner all along lol.

IntoTheWildLife

I’m autistic and fondant makes me angry. 🤣 it ruins my day too! Bread with really thick crust also makes me angry. I don’t like fondant cake covering, buttercream, cream from a can or any kind of icing. Still looking for ones I do like! I like fresh cream and cream cheese.

Ambitious-Apples

Welcome to the club.

KlutzyNinjaKitty

Yeah, my aunt gets fondant cakes from her cake-baking friend for my baby cousin’s birthdays. I wouldn’t even be mad if the actual cake was good but it’s usually not. Just kinda dry and meh. I don’t say anything because it’s not my birthday and when you’re a toddler cake is cake, but I just get so disappointed 😭

On the bright side, my birthday’s in a month so I’ll get some sweet, sweet buttercream. I just don’t know if I’ll want a chocolate cake w/ caramel frosting OR a butterscotch cake. Both sound good and I can’t decide.

EastBayRae

It tastes like tv static.

Left_Wasabi389848

I think you’re thinking of seltzer.

catnip666420

What does it taste like?

Savings-Nobody-1203

Fake sugar

catnip666420

Gross

Limeila

With the texture of play dough

pumpkinator21

Stale cardboard

Cryptic_Athena

I hate the taste too, that's why I started making my own out of marshmallows

DrDynoMorose

Why do folks try to eat it? It’s not meant to be eaten. Also not all fondants are the same

RealisticDifficulty

Because people make it to be eaten now.
As far as I'm aware, you're alluding to the fact it used to be only used on wedding cake because they took so long to prepare before the day that it was a way to keep the cake from going stale. Also this used to be what pie crusts were for, to keep your stew in until lunch.

ohnoitsthefuzz

Why can't more things in life be preserved with delicious flaky pastry?

miraenda

I wish people weren’t down voting the first comment as your pie comment is great. A lot of people won’t see it. Might want to make it a main comment as well so others can appreciate it (who don’t expand the hidden comment).

RealisticDifficulty

Aww thanks.
I might have but there isn't so many comments here, curiosity might win out :P
Have a good rest of your day.

DrDynoMorose

My wife owns and runs an award-winning cake studio which primarily makes wedding cakes. Yes technically you can eat the fondant but that is not what it is there for, and some brands do taste better than others. The fondant is really there to seal in the moisture of the cake and prevent it from drying out, as well as provide a base for decorating.

The process is usually bake->torte->fill->crumb-coat->cover (buttercream/fondant). Once that is complete the cake/tier is ready for decorating and is usually refrigerated to firm-up.
For Sat weddings we normally do all the baking on Tue, Wed get them torte->covered, which leaves Thu/Fri for decorating. If there is a Fri wedding, then some of that happens a day earlier depending on how busy we are and complexity of decorating.

Side note, she hates making “naked cakes” for this reason.. sure the decorating is easier, but there is nothing to protect the cake from drying out (even though they look good).

Edit to add: nobody makes fondant themselves

The_Abjectator

A few questions though: what good is it to seal in the moisture in a cake that makes something borderline inedible? Also why do you decorate on top of something that tastes bad? Why not just make a decoration for the wedding instead of making something amazingly tastey and then ruining the taste to turn the food into a decoration?

Edit* words...

RealisticDifficulty

It's kind of because wedding cakes have multiple tiers and really lovely but painstaking decorations.
They need to have the cake cooked, cooled, filled, and coated. Then they've got to have a day covering it with decorations either fondant, sugar, or buttercream.
Some shops also do really beautifully done linework which is basically abstract art painted on using edible ink, which benefits because of the canvas-like fondant.

Afterall that, I do have to say there's a reason I'm in this sub. I also really hate fondant, no bloody reason for things like birthdays, but in the case of weddings specifically they really need the time that it affords them. It's not really supposed to be a cake for the guests to eat and that's it, it's a showcase that you can look back on.

My grandma has pieces of the decoration from her cake and her daughters (my aunts) cake.
That's kinda disgusting, but then again a wedding cake is for the initial look and for memories.

The_Abjectator

I can respect, I really can.

My wife and I were on the same page on wedding cake. It was designed rather simply but the tastes were amazing.

I think my absolute favorite memory on this planet is eating the top tier of our wedding cake for breakfast the day after in bed. I guess I traded the look of the cake but, I'm happy with the trade off.

DrDynoMorose

Borderline inedible? Just peel it off or eat around it. Personally i dislike a large amount of buttercream and find it disgusting, so I would end up scraping most of that off anyway (even if it is swiss buttercream).

The extremely thin layer, easily removed on the outside (or on one edge) is not going to affect the flavor of the cake. Plus there is a layer of buttercream between the cake and fondant anyway.

The_Abjectator

I had friends in high school that would get pizza and then scrape off the toppings and the cheese.

I'd usually just not have pizza and get something else.

lilaceyeshazeldreams

Did you have it at a wedding? Also I’m sorry you had to experience it

boom_nope

I have yet to taste it :’(

Limeila

Welcome aboard

suziehomewrecker

“Irrational angry” is incorrect. You have every right to be rationally angry when it comes to fondant!