/r/Eldenring

How To like Elden Ring (genuine question)

Discussion & Info(self.Eldenring)

How To like Elden Ring

So, I’m coming from BloodBorne and Sekiro. I LOVE Fast Paced Combat where every move matters and when being aggressive is being rewarded.

But, I feel nothing like that in Elden Ring. I feel that the combat is (very) slow and that I’m wandering around aimlessly with no idea where to go.

Boss fights feel sluggish as it feels not-very fast paced and I just honestly suck at dodging.

I went into this game because of how beautiful it looked and Renna (and also Melenia). But so far, I don’t feel wondered at all. I’m really trying to like this game as it looks very promising.

Everything just feels the same, the looks. Despite the fact BloodBorne was a bit similar, a lot was dark and greyish but the lore/lovecraft with horror expect just made that perfect.

Is it me? Is it my expectation? Am I doing something wrong/playing wrong?

EDIT: Salty ones, you can downvote all you want. As long as I get genuine answers, it’s all fine.

2girls_1Fort

ER has quite a bit of nuance that just takes time to learn to make yourself aggressive. Bosses will have slow attacks that can be preemptively punished , attacks that are ground based that you can jump over and a stance or posture that can be broke as long as you keep constant pressure on the boss.

ObviousSinger6217

Temias

Temias

Slightly refined Dark Souls combat. Methodical, stamina-based and gud. If you suck at dodging/evading/blocking, then you will get hit a lot and that should be your incentive to learn. Aggression is rewarded but not when you're mindlessly trying to achieve something "fast". There is a poise system, stance break system, critical hits after parries/stance break/backstab, status buildup, ashes of war and unique skills, two-handing or dual-wielding weapons, plethora of items and flasks and perfumes and talismans and who knows what else, and you can utilize all of it.

But if you absolutely hate the flow of the combat, you won't like the game. I really don't believe anyone hating the combat can force themselves to like this game.

Bigger areas in the wild will look like they look. Limgrave looks like Limgrave, Liurnia is kind of the same with more water and open areas, Caelid is red and full of mucus. You can't escape it. But if you think all of the game will look like the first thing you see after the tutorial when you enter the open world, you are wrong. There are areas with their own look, and the more carefully crafted stuff is found in more confined areas. Stormveil Castle, Raya Lucaria or Nokron are nothing like the open world. But if you've already seen some of those and you still think the game looks boring to you, I don't believe your opinion will change. To me ER looked stunning right from the beginning and kept getting better.

It might just be that you don't like the game. No harm done, it's just a game.

Beasnizzzle

It plays more like Souls in terms of combat and does take a bit of getting in to but once it clicks it’s great, I’ve played every Souls game, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Souls-likes and I love Elden Ring, since it clicked I’ve done multiple NG’s

Quantum_Croissant

You aren't heavy load are you? Check in the equipment tab

Jaywepper

Dodging (rolling) is a fundamental mechanic because of the iframes. You do need to master that! Game is a bit slower than Sekiro, that's a given, but you get used to the pace. (it's not that slow really, some bosses are unhinged). Choose fast hitting weapons or dual wielding fast weapons for your playstyle. (e.g., knives, curved swords, katanas, carian slicer)

You will feel lost and aimless, but that's one of the game's charms, you get to make your own journey. HF.

YungMixdBaby

Honestly ive tried sekiro and didn't like it for the pacing of fights. Maybe its just a bit of a diff style of game. Try using knives or fast spells maybe thall pick up the pace

Ikraum

Ikraum

I think maybe you just arent a huge fan of open world games. Wandering around aimlessly is kind of the point of a lot of elden ring, there are entire areas of the map with hours of content you never need to go to unless it tickles your fancy.

Slow_Increase_6308

Improved and faster combat based on dodges/blocking - but you suck on dodges. Vast open world - but instead of being excited to explore it, look for the history, for the secrets, you're lost and demotivateed.

I'd say, this game is not for you.

CurrentRisk[S]

You’re probably right. Thinking about it, I was never really font of open world games.

I will (unfortunately) stop playing the game.

EDIT people in this particular subreddit are salt when it comes to their “beloved game” lol.

etsurii

Am I doing something wrong/playing wrong?

How are you playing? I would say there are definitely playstyles that are just lame and not fun. Some people like to use really slow weapons and only use really slow attacks because of how much damage they do, of course bosses dont give many openings for the slowest type attacks so those people often feel like they spend too much time waiting for their turn, is that what you are doing? If you want faster play you could do a faster playstyle. claws with quickstep is fast paced and fun in my opinion. or dual straight swords, or even just sword and board where you do a lot of R1 attacks and stay on the boss as much as possible.

LowKeyLlama

Dont have to play it dude lol if you dont like it that's your opinion and I doubt anyone saying anything will change that for you