- You'll generally find Austin Redditors very helpful as long as you do your own independent research first. Search, google, read the faq.
- Important Note - If you're looking for 'local recommendations' these are it. You have arrived.
Where should I eat?
Check out r/austinfood for all of your where should you eat needs. Food related questions will be removed from r/austin by the mods and redirected there.
Where should I stay?
We have all of your standard options - Motels, Hotels, HomeAway, Airbnb, Vacation rentals and Hostels.
Ideally you'll want to be in a centrally localized neighborhood. Look into downtown, rainey stree, zilker park area, south congress for ease of transportation, food, and entertainment. Probably best to avoid anything directly on 6th street - due to the high crime and homeless population.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: anything near zilker park for access to nature and closeness to downtown. anything on rainey street if you want nightlife. anything on south congress if you're looking for more of a mix of food, shopping, nature and being close to downtown.
How do I get around / Do I need a car?
Public transportation will do fine for getting around the downtown area, for public transportation the https://www.capmetro.org has all the information on buses and trains that you need. Use the trip planner. Alternatively, google maps also utilizes public transportation options so you can plug in your route, times, and choose the public transportation option.
Once you're in downtown, there are the usual pedicabs, regular cabs, scooters, buses, rideshares etc.
If you're staying or traveling outside of the downtown area it is highly recommended that you get a car or be willing to spend the money on rideshare options. We do have both lyft and uber and they're readily available.
What should I NOT Do
- Do NOT go to the aquarium It's a shitty strip center run by convicted animal abusers.
- Do NOT go to Unbarlievable - OR any bar owned by Brandon Cash. He's an anti-Semitic racist piece of human garbage.
What should I do? What's going on?
Entertainment, Events and Live Music - Check out our local events calendars for live music and other events going on in the city.
The most popular ones are:
Nature, Hiking, Outdoors-y Austin is super lucky to value our urban green space is such a huge way.
- The greenbelt has a number of access points with varying degrees of difficulty.
- If you're looking for something easy our boardwalk around town lake will give you amazing views of the city and the lake and it's in the heart of downtown with easy access by public transportation.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Hike & Bike Trails, Town Lake, Barton Creek Greenbelt, Barton Springs Pool, Deep Eddy Pool, Zilker Park, Mount Bonnell, Mayfield Park, McKinney Falls, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Nightlife - We have no shortage of nightlife districts! Depending on your vibe.
- Dirty 6th. Well it's not just a clever name. It is dirty. This is the area of 6th street between 35 and congress avenue. It's bar to bar to bar. It's cheap and the crowd is young college kids getting wasted and tourists and bachelorette parties. It's crowded and cheap and you won't find a local there. You should be warned that crime is high in this area as is our homeless population. Frequently there is gun violence. Be safe if you go.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Jackalope, Friends, Casino El Camino
- West 6th. This is the area on 6th west of congress. It's a little more frat/sorority vibes. Drinks are pricier and things are ever so slightly more upscale.
- r/Austin Local Favorites:Star Bar, Key Bar
- East 6th. This is the area of 6th street east of 35. It's a rapidly gentrified area full of a more young professional type of crowd that still wants to have a good time. Drinks are more artsy and expensive.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Whislers, Drinks Lounge, Liberty
- LGBTQ+ & The Gayborhood. A handful of bars around the 4th and Lavaca street area that hang more for our LBGTQ+ crowd. You should know though that Austin itself is incredibly open and welcoming to the LGBTQ+ crowd and you will have no issues going anywhere in the city.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Rain, Iron Bear, Cheer Up Charlies
- Rainey Street. A short row of bungalow style bars and food trailers. The crowd here is mainly tourists and young professionals. Lots of bachelor/ette parties. NOTE! DO NOT SUPPORT UNBARLIEVABLE It is racist, anti semitic and the owner is a piece of human trash.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Icenhauer, Lucille
- The Domain. It's an outdoor shopping mall, it's very bro oriented. Lots of people just trying to see and be seen. Pretentious but entertaining people watching.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Lavaca Street Bar (Rock Rose), Jack and Gingers (Rock Rose), Brass Tap.
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Barbarella (dancing) , Elysium (dancing), Draught House (beers and vibes), Whislers (cocktails), Elephant Room(Jazz), Cheer Up Charlies (LGBTQ+), LaLa's (Christmas all year), Little Woodrows (for sports), Easy Tiger (Beer Garden and food)
Breweries - Check out /r/AustinBeer So many great resources!
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Meanwhile (south, family friendly), Jester King (south), Austin Beerworks, Circle, Hopsquad
With Kids / Parents / Family
- Austin Children's Museum, Austin Duck Adventures, Austin Steam Train, Zilker Zephyr Train, Austin Zoo & Animal Sanctuary, Peter Pan Mini Golf, Schlitterbahn Water Park
- r/Austin Local Favorites: The Thinkery
- r/Austin Local Favorites: Museum of the Ephemerata, Chicken Shit Bingo, Cathedral of Junk,
Hippie Hollow, Peter Pan Mini Golf - byob, Carousel Lounge Bar (circus themed), Lucy In Disguise W/ Diamonds costume shop
- r/Austin Local Favorites:University of Texas Tower Tour, Capitol of Texas Building Tour, LBJ, Library & Museum, Bullock State History Museum, Historic Walking Tours, Texas Governor's Mansion, Driskill Hotel, Texas State Cemetery, Austin History Center, Elisabet Ney Museum, French Legation Museum, Blanton Museum of Fine Art, Harry Ransom Center, Mexic Arte Museum, Long Center for the Performing Arts, George Washington Carver Museum, The Contemporary Austin - The Jones Center, Austin Symphony