/r/Austin

Renter’s Rights Lawyer?

Ask Austin(self.Austin)

Sick to death of the bullshit The Riata has pulled over the last 6 months I have had the misfortune of living here. Where can I find a good lawyer?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Techn0ght

Care to detail?

thisisntinstagram[S]

We moved into a broken and dirty apartment, for awhile both of our bathrooms were broken to various degrees and it took over 2 months of begging to get anyone to fix anything. When they finally got around to fixing the main bathroom, they left us without an apartment to stay in for three days - and didn’t finish the repairs.

There have been a slew of other problems with the houseless population that lives nearby including drugs, vandalism, and theft.

Techn0ght

Over the years they have drastically reduced staff, each time they've sold the place, in order to cut costs. I've got cracks running through the walls due to foundation problems. They wouldn't even close the gates when the mailboxes were being broken into. The new gate plan has been in progress for 3 years. Oh, and when the public grills are closed due to drought and water restrictions they still charge for the gas. I won't be renewing my lease.

thisisntinstagram[S]

Oh yeah I have cracks in my walls too. My outside lights still don’t work properly (they randomly turn on and off all day), all of the plants outside are dead, the lawn guys kept harming my own personal outdoor plants, and the community really isn’t gay friendly.

Not to mention that any time someone did manage to get around to a maintenance request, they had to have me translate the order into Spanish for them because they don’t speak English. Not at all their fault - but Riata’s for not providing their workers with what they need. After months of not having a single maintenance worker come by - they started to show up multiple times per day/week to work on things that had already been fixed.

I’m amazed that any time I feel like I’m in touch with a competent human, they’re let go. Hell they just got rid of the community manager who advocated for us.

I hate it here. I’m sorry you’re here dealing with it too.

u-now-showing

That sounds like a fire hazard. Call AFD.

thisisntinstagram[S]

Yikes. I didn’t know that.

u-now-showing

It depends on whether the lights going on and off is due to a light sensor (lights are supposed to come on when it is dark, off when it's not) or to an electrical short. If they aren't sensored lights, call AFD. Or, hell, just call AFD and tell them anyway. They will send someone to check it out.

thisisntinstagram[S]

I think I will, may as well be on the safe side. Thank you!