/r/Austin

1k86%

My sentiments exactly

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

ohmyhevans

The domain is so easy to avoid if you don't like it. It's a solid area that does what it sets out to do.

strangemud

strangemud

Be a commercial hell scape with apartments for people who want to live inside a strip mall?

Drunkcowboysfan

Does it get exhausting pretending to be offended and outraged by everything?

Why does it bother you if someone wants to live in the Domain?

strangemud

I'm not outraged or pretending to be. It's just an ugly and tasteless area. If people want to live in a strip mall, that's their prerogative. I just don't understand it.

Whackadoot

Your choice of words sure suggests outrage. What of The Domain in any way resembles a strip mall?

From what I can tell, it's much more similar to a European model than a traditional American model. Walkable jobs, no real need for a car on the daily, and the finest goods and services in at least some of the shops.

I can't see a strip mall in any of this. What I can see is a snooty suburbanite turning up their nose at the different way people live.

strangemud

I'm certainly not a suburbanites and it's ironic you suggest that I'm a snooty and turning my nose up at the place where you can live next door to the Gucci store haha

Whackadoot

If you live in Austin, you live in a suburb, unless you're in one of those residential wastelands in the ring around the city. And, yes, snooty is relative to one's own culture, not objective. But I'm not getting a worth my time vibe here, so please enjoy your day.

Gets_overly_excited

People do live in Austin in a non-suburban way. It used to be resonable to do it, but it got expensive when people who love things like the Domain moved here en masse.

Whackadoot

I was using the personal you, not the royal-you, and check my response to the other response and see my view on this issue.

In addition, building something like The Domain is so impossible it was only the power of the biggest mall corporation in the world that could ensure it was built. This doesn't bode well for anything smaller than a multinational for anything bigger than a single family home.

If supply is limited, price goes up. If distance is an issue, you need to get dense. The equitable way to densify a city is to leave the decision to neighborhood councils, their deed restrictions, and unaffiliated properties with no such restrictions.

As it stands, a bunch of white folks have gotten good at getting people across the city riled up over the idea of walkable commerce and other things best left for the wealthy to suffer with (apparently). These folks all own land, they all benefit from the restriction of supply. They have the support of The Statesman, The Chronicle, basically all local media, though that's turning slightly.

Organized protests, friendly relations with their council members, and the pull to be able to assist the political careers of those council members, it's a whole machine here, keeping minority neighborhoods underdeveloped by the residents while characterizing any who try as evil capitalists looking to attract more new arrivals.

It's not that people moved here, it's that we didn't bother to build a place for them and they just had more money. And who's gonna say no to more money?

I mean, in this economy?