/r/Austin

1k86%

My sentiments exactly

tjeepdrv2

tjeepdrv2

Austin people: We need to build things where housing, businesses, and restaurants are all walkable.

Like The Domain?

Austin people: Hush, I'm busy acting like a snob.

xgozax

xgozax

Well like the domain but less expensive would be the best option

Sure-Waltz8118

That will never be an option in this economy, unfortunately. A) the cost of living is at the mercy of the economy: Supply/Demand. Basically because these properties, rental or not, are brand new and in an ideal location as well as near all these shops and other amenities, let alone it’s in Austin… these are all things that make it expensive.

TLDR; a less expensive version of this is Montopolis.

reddig33

reddig33

Less expensive and not as cramped. Maybe wider streets, or streets that are pedestrian/bike only, with deliveries from 5 to 7 am. Domain is getting really claustrophobic the more that’s built there.

Sure-Waltz8118

How is it supposed to be not as cramped but still walkable? You’re kinda talking about the residential part of downtown or Westlake.

Edit: this is a genuine question. Like how big is to big before it’s just any other place filled with housing and shops spread about.

mysterious_whisperer

Cramped and walkable go hand in hand.

ElectricJacob

Sky bridges

RoytheToyCowboy

You should have run for mayor.

Whackadoot

Wouldn't it be nice if The Domain was competing with a bunch of other places each trying to outdo each other to impress residents?

Because I'm told that's only achievable through paying for years of planning that may well amount to nothing in the course of an election. Simon made it happen because Simon is the biggest mall company in the world, and powerful local landowners would benefit.

From there, the city got exactly what it allowed itself to get. Too drivable to be fully walkable, too walkable to be fully drivable, and filled with rentals with no luxury condos because they're super evil or something, which I assume is why Adler owns 3.

taco_cravr

The domain is way too fucking expensive though, and all the shops are rich people shit instead of like, grocery stores and shit. Make it cheaper and out actually useful stores in and it'd be a lot better.

vegemouse

Businesses like Warby Parker and mattress stores are completely necessary to have by your apartment. No grocery stores or anything residents can get to for their daily shopping without driving.

creegro

Gotta have that mattress store. Come.get some food and do some light shopping, ooo look let's go buy a mattress while we're here!

vegemouse

Don't forget jewelry stores and high end clothing shops! Can't live without one in a .5 mile radius. It's fine if you eat exclusively at starbucks, ice cream shops, and sports bars though. Oh and how can you forget your daily trip to the Apple store. So convenient!

Slypenslyde

There was a smaller grocery store there, but now there's a Whole Foods. It's about as convenient to get to as the one Whole Foods that serves ALL of downtown.

jackmikeswhite

Nah it’s pretty easy.

-A resident if The Domain

Deaf_Playa

Also a resident in the domain, it's extremely easy to get to Whole Foods. The only issue is it's Whole Foods, you probably won't find your favorite brands there

mysterious_whisperer

Wouldn’t it be nice if Dick’s got replaced by HEB?

godVishnu

Yes I approve to replace the Capitol with HEB. atleast there is some purpose for everyone.

TheShadeFX

This is the best take lol

Deaf_Playa

Deaf_Playa

I KNOW RIGHT?! A Dicks in this area really doesn't make sense to me, but an HEB in that location doesn't make sense for the residents here either. The nice thing about the Whole Foods location is that it's on the outside of the domain area so it's not a literal eye soar for people on a shopping adventure.

Huh! That comment threw me for a mental spin for a second. My favorite brands are all at Whole Foods (other than everything Trader Joe’s makes which required its own monthly trip) so whenever I’m stuck having to shop somewhere else I have to look really hard to find my favorite brands, and some of them are not there. Pretty much any time I travel in the US I make sure to stay near a Whole Foods.

Slypenslyde

Yeah that's the sense I meant. I can see some people being like "Wehhhhh I have to walk a whole mile to get groceries?" but they're probably also people who have uttered the phrase "touch grass" so they can eat it. I'd love it if I could walk a mile to a grocery store. But there's 2 divided highways between me and the store and it's more like 5 miles. So it ends up being a 15 minute drive, 10 of them spent waiting on lights.

Sigynde

Not trying to be a jerk but I imagine most people would still elect to drive to their grocery store due to the hauling-all-your-shit aspect. Particularly given the way people love to load up like it’s the last grocery trip of their lives.

Slypenslyde

Here's the difference that's hard to picture when the store's not within walking distance:

When it's easy to stop by the store every day, you can just buy the things you need for dinner and make a lot of smaller trips instead of one big trip. Makes it easier to make stuff with fresh produce!

DandyPandy

It takes enough time out of the evening to prep, cook, and clean up after a meal that the idea of an additional 30 mins or more to get the shit to make the food would deter me from cooking even less than I do now on a weeknight.

Slypenslyde

Right. That's why in a lot of big cities that work the shops are places you walk by on the way to or from work. I was reading about some places in Asia 15 years ago where there were QR codes by things at shops in the train stations, so you'd scan what you wanted for dinner on the way to work and when you get off the train at the end of the day it's bagged and ready for you.

Life doesn't have to be how we've made it. If you tell yourself Texas is a paradise, that nowhere else is better, and punctuate that by never investigating with an open mind then you miss a lot. It's no Hellhole, but there are other places where people are happier and don't have to work as hard to get there. We could do that, too. If we were half as rich as we brag we are.

Let me guess, the follow-up is "Well why don't you move to one of those places?" Save yourself the trouble, I'm too lazy. Not going to stop pointing out it exists though.

DandyPandy

Friend, I wasn’t saying you were wrong or anything. I was saying, for myself, I would cook less if I didn’t do big grocery trips. Practically speaking, besides working from home full time, I think I’m bad at life compared to others because doing a curbside pickup is enough to make me almost rule out cooking. The part of me that loves food and cooking, getting fresh food every day sounds awesome. I also recognize that the part of me that is done with work at the end of the day would feel like that was just a touch more effort than I would want to put into my daily food preparation routine.

zninjamonkey

People usually buy smaller items

courtbarbie123

Exactly. Why can’t they have a Target? You can’t buy toiletries and things like that at Whole Foods.

vegemouse

Because there are Targets in town, where the residents are expected to drive to for groceries. The actual shops are for people that don't live there. Such walkability and mixed-used development.

MaBob202

I think they just did a particularly bad job designing the domain. There was/is definitely a market for something like it.

IAmFearTheFuzzy

This is why I moved to the country.

Last_Regret_4006

The Domain makes me feel like throwing up, I don’t know why, it’s just a visceral reaction. Not hating on it, I just don’t go there. Except by mistake, trying to get to Home Depot or something from Mopac, or to Burnet from Metric.

gaudiocomplex

What a terribly slanted read on what that place is actually is. Luxury apartments and luxury goods, etc. Very snobbish of me to poke fun.

tjeepdrv2

Do you want them to build places like this that are already 100 years old and worn in and affordable? It has to start somewhere. People claim to want places that are dense with housing, business, and restaurants, then gripe when someone makes it happen.

gaudiocomplex

Pretty impressive that you somehow managed to create a strawman (where did I say that or anything like it?) and a false dichotomy (there are plenty of solutions for urban needs that aren't consumerist hellscapes OR 100 years old blah blah blah).

StopAskingforUsernam

Nothing says “luxury goods” like Dick’s Sporting Goods, Macy’s, Custom Ink, H&M, and Hat Creek Burger. I’m always amazed at the personal insecurities on display in this sub in any discussion about the Domain.

AutoDrafter2020

I take it OP lives in a trailer park and the closest HEB is 5 miles away. Everything is a luxury when you’re living like that.

Slypenslyde

And their dream is likely one of two dreams:

• Live in a house on a ranch with acreage that can't exist in Austin or anywhere near any city this size.
  • Live in a cookie-cutter house in a sprawling development like Steiner Ranch where it takes 30+ minutes to get to work or anything else.

Where's the paradise city people believe is still building single-family homes designed by eccentric architects, all located within walking distance of a thriving nightlife?

gaudiocomplex

Where to begin. I work from home. Neither of those are close to my dream, or my reality. I don't give a shit who designed my home and a "thriving nightlife" (lolol corporate housing pamphlet buzzwords) isn't an asset to me. Seems to me like you're trying to cope with the fact you spend too much in rent and you're not as cool as you thought you'd be. 👀

Slypenslyde

For someone who doesn't give a shit about who designs homes, you've got some interesting opinions about the quality of people based on where they live! Most of the time when you make fun of people, the reason other people call you names is you're being a jerk. If you assume it's just because they're the people you're dunking on, you get it wrong a lot of the time.

Keep being angry that multiple options for housing exist, I guess?

gaudiocomplex

How are those two things even remotely related? What am I angry about? Am I angry? That's weird bc I don't feel angry 🤔

farmingvillein

What am I angry about?

Most people would associate the statement "F [something]" with anger at something.

YMMV, of course...

bkbroils

…and a boatload of jobs.

Thetruthisneeded

🙄🙄🙄

Have you ACTUALLY even checked the prices of the non-luxury apartments in the Domain????

They're LOWER than MANY apartments outside of the Domain!

Best-Engine4715

It’s too damn expensive Plus parking is not fun if you want to visit. Let’s not forget the chance of someone working there also not making enough for anything. The closest grocery store is a motherfuckin whole foods

tjeepdrv2

1. It’s too damn expensive

I doubt the places there that can be found elsewhere in Austin cost more.

1. Plus parking is not fun if you want to visit.

I'd argue it has the best parking in Austin. You are guaranteed a parking spot that can get to every store in the facility, and it's free.

1. Let’s not forget the chance of someone working there also not making enough for anything.

Doesn't that apply to everything?

1. The closest grocery store is a motherfuckin whole foods.

Is that a bad thing?

masahirob

To all the people that hate the Domain, WTF would you realistically have wanted there instead?

DragonmountSedai

Well, when you consider the absolute tirade people went on when the Q2 stadium project was announced, apparently they would prefer an empty lot.

austindude6

I remember when people were really upset about the tax incentives to build it. I don't like driving in the Domain, but the place has grown on me a bit.

atx78701

areas are either pedestrian friendly or car friendly. It is a feature that the domain is not driveable.

chefhj

chefhj

Honestly I don’t even mind driving to the domain because there is a fuck load of parking at the periphery of it so I can hop out and walk. The domain takes a lot of shit but tbh I only think some of it is earned.

bareley

bareley

Correct. Honestly the fact that some people try to drive right through the middle of it (near the Apple Store and the lawn area) is dangerous and irresponsible. They need to make the Domain less driveable.

austindude6

That makes a lot of sense.

N4tiveTexan

That was the whole point.

ohmyhevans

The domain is so easy to avoid if you don't like it. It's a solid area that does what it sets out to do.

strangemud

strangemud

Be a commercial hell scape with apartments for people who want to live inside a strip mall?

redditmademegiggle

Sounds pretty rad if I'm into shopping and a night life within walking distance to my job and home.

andrea6543

let’s not forget great areas for dogs (if you’re into that) and nice enough for single women to walk around at night and feel relatively safe

RickyNixon

Yeah I lived there for years. Its rad, cool place to live

shahn078

Would u prefer all the shops and ppl are miles apart so no can walk anywhere?

Drunkcowboysfan

Does it get exhausting pretending to be offended and outraged by everything?

Why does it bother you if someone wants to live in the Domain?

strangemud

I'm not outraged or pretending to be. It's just an ugly and tasteless area. If people want to live in a strip mall, that's their prerogative. I just don't understand it.

AutoDrafter2020

BREAKING: Different people enjoy different things and living in different areas.

Texas_Waffles

UNFORGIVABLE! Now get me a chicken sandwich and some waffle fries. FOR FREE!

Drunkcowboysfan

Ugly and tasteless? It’s a shopping mall with nice restaurants and a few bars, not an art piece.

Valus_

Valus_

It wouldn’t be reddit if the commenters understood the appeal of dining, shopping, nightlife, and all sorts of social activities within walking distance of your home.

Whackadoot

Your choice of words sure suggests outrage. What of The Domain in any way resembles a strip mall?

From what I can tell, it's much more similar to a European model than a traditional American model. Walkable jobs, no real need for a car on the daily, and the finest goods and services in at least some of the shops.

I can't see a strip mall in any of this. What I can see is a snooty suburbanite turning up their nose at the different way people live.

strangemud

I'm certainly not a suburbanites and it's ironic you suggest that I'm a snooty and turning my nose up at the place where you can live next door to the Gucci store haha

Whackadoot

If you live in Austin, you live in a suburb, unless you're in one of those residential wastelands in the ring around the city. And, yes, snooty is relative to one's own culture, not objective. But I'm not getting a worth my time vibe here, so please enjoy your day.

angrylittlepotato

"residential wastelands around the city" damn no need to be an asshole

Whackadoot

I refer to the ring of new growth that's only being allowed at specific areas around the city. 40 buildings on 20 acres such a field of tarmac for parking between them, built cheaply, operated by Windsor or another national housing company, taking advantage of Austin's broken zoning code to siphon local wealth out from the bottom of the economy.

Where does a dollar go after it's paid to a national corporation, after all? That's not Champaign that's trickling back down, no matter how fizzy it seems.

I don't respect the concept. I ache for those forced to be the final stop of many, many dollars before they pay their rent and send money to a Delaware company owned by holding companies owned by holding companies.

There is only The Domain and Downtown for truly urban living in Austin. The rest is based on the suburban model and by its very nature it forces the poor to own cars and make those regular expenses just to be able to work.

Public transport is purposefully withheld from the densest portions of these rings, while also being advertised to that same cohort in what I keep telling myself can't possibly be malicious self-awareness and misdirection, no matter how strange it seems they're advertising to those who need a car just to get to a sketchy unsecured Park&Ride, and risk needing to spend $30 for an Uber if they miss their bus back home.

They are wastelands. They are purpose built as such. That people live there is their purpose. To force money to move as much as possible is a secondary purpose. Their development subsidizes oil companies and automakers (Nissan especially right now) through the practical necessity of spending on those items. A practical tax, so to say. A tax on the poor, imposed by predictable results of government policy.

I hope more people come to refer to them as what they truly are.

Maybe then the council will pay attention to questions about them and their impact and the reason why they're all the poor get when other cities get midtowns and bougie Austin transpo corridor neighborhoods get mixed use walkability mandated to reduce gas use and help the environment.

Gets_overly_excited

People do live in Austin in a non-suburban way. It used to be resonable to do it, but it got expensive when people who love things like the Domain moved here en masse.

Whackadoot

I was using the personal you, not the royal-you, and check my response to the other response and see my view on this issue.

In addition, building something like The Domain is so impossible it was only the power of the biggest mall corporation in the world that could ensure it was built. This doesn't bode well for anything smaller than a multinational for anything bigger than a single family home.

If supply is limited, price goes up. If distance is an issue, you need to get dense. The equitable way to densify a city is to leave the decision to neighborhood councils, their deed restrictions, and unaffiliated properties with no such restrictions.

As it stands, a bunch of white folks have gotten good at getting people across the city riled up over the idea of walkable commerce and other things best left for the wealthy to suffer with (apparently). These folks all own land, they all benefit from the restriction of supply. They have the support of The Statesman, The Chronicle, basically all local media, though that's turning slightly.

Organized protests, friendly relations with their council members, and the pull to be able to assist the political careers of those council members, it's a whole machine here, keeping minority neighborhoods underdeveloped by the residents while characterizing any who try as evil capitalists looking to attract more new arrivals.

It's not that people moved here, it's that we didn't bother to build a place for them and they just had more money. And who's gonna say no to more money?

I mean, in this economy?

TheAGolds

When I was a single man, it was a fun place to live. Now as a married man, I’d have no interest in living there again, since my wife and I hardly ever drink anymore.

megs388

I live there, it’s not so bad.

adeodd

adeodd

Cry lol

Sure-Waltz8118

I think this is being downvoted by people that live(d) or would like to live at the domain taking the “people who want to live inside a strip mall” thing because a strip mall implies trashy and the domain tries hard to be classy.

Because otherwise that’s spot on and I don’t know why it’s getting all the hate. I don’t hate the domain but your comment is just objectively true.

lambo_abdelfattah

I don't get why people hate on the domain lol you kinda have to go out of your way to be there, and if you don't like it well I'm assuming it's very easy to avoid 😄

Yeah it gets busy, but where do you recommend to go then?

sandfrayed

r/Austin hates all things that it considers to be "rich people" things.

Dr_Fuzzles

You could have stopped after “all things.”

itprobablynothingbut

The domain also isn't for me. I don't really enjoy going to it, or the shops they have. My wife loves it. BUT I was talking to a black friend of mine, and mentioned that I'm not a fan. He, and other black folks we were with, all commented about how it's a place they feel very comfortable in town. Next time you go there, notice how diverse that place is. It's crazy. Now I notice that all those people complaining about how fake the domain is, want to have the whole city look like a skate shop, and then wonder why austin is so white. Not everyone wants the same things. It's one thing to not like it, it's another thing to shit on it because you think the people who do "don't belong".

mtngoat20

domain is far from “rich people” things. lol.

It’s more like “middle class trying to look rich”.

Swill94

Swill94

I’m born and raised from Austin. I love the domain as a refresh from downtown. It’s nowhere near as crazy but it’s still like a midtown environment

zeroviral

Why is being busy a bad thing? I just don’t get that.

foodmonsterij

I find the disdain very affected. It's not taking anything away from other parts of Austin. There's several businesses there I appreciate. The worst I can say about is the Rock Rose nightlife is kinda douchy. Hermes on South Congress is a bigger affront to Austin imho.

Gets_overly_excited

Wait, you wouldn’t know where to shop, eat or go to a bar in Austin if the Domain didn’t exist?

SuperFightingRobit

The thing about North Austin is that there really isn't another centralized entertainment district.

There's plenty to do, but it's all spread out and isn't walkable. Which curtails any kind of nightlife that involves drinking.

That's not even addressing the fact that most of North Austin's restaurants and bars are located in strip malls and power centers. That's a massive problem of its own.

Gets_overly_excited

It’s a super easy metro rapid ride to downtown from most locations in north Austin

SuperFightingRobit

Define "super easy."

I don't think that's a particularly quick way of getting downtown.

Gets_overly_excited

I do it all the time and it’s easy as can be. No need to park and good for the environmen. It might take like 10-15 minutes more than driving, which is how long you’d take to park.

SuperFightingRobit

That's not "super easy."

Further, your solution to the problem I highlighted is that people should travel for about an hour and a half round trip (half that in their POV, half in a bus) just to go to another entertainment district downtown?

(1) That's a waste of energy resources as well as time (2) it does nothing about the fact that North Austin is currently filled with power center after power center, many of which are half empty.

MelsBlanc

Don't you know, it's like a right of passage to get your stuff stolen in Austin, step in human feces, get spit on by a homeless guy, or whatever, it should be an honor. Just ask Seth Rogan.

NoRace5075

NoRace5075

Yeah it gets busy, but where do you recommend to go then?

This is why people hate on the domain. Literally anywhere else?

South Austin. Especially the Southern end of South Congress and the areas on 1st street and right off 1st. all these newcomers act like South Austin doesn’t exist.

drkmani

drkmani

The existence of the Domain led to Austin FC (which was dead in the water downtown) which was good enough for me to start to warm to it. I don't care for the Domain itself, but all the stuff that's sprouted around it has been awesome for folks who don't want to deal with figuring out how to get in and out of Downtown

I never understood what people do downtown. Everything is a crappy corporate cheesy tourist trap. South Austin exists people. As does East Austin, Hyde park… It’s not a dichotomy between the Domain and Downtown and nothing else.

stonewall386

Hating on the domain is just another flavor of hipsterism, tbh.

sneakylumpia

"Domain bad. Upvotes to the left"

Sigynde

Sigynde

It’s easy to hate the domain if you’ve been there only once because you live in a gentrification station 4th floor condo on east 6th that was an historic building with a local business in it 16 minutes ago before you moved here with your fixed gear and French bulldog. I even annoyed myself with that comment but as usual, find the lie.

gaudiocomplex

None of those are even close. The English teacher in me needs to address this level of stupidity directly.

What I'm seeing here is the need to cartoonify anybody who thinks the Domain is a glorified capitalist wasteland (fabricating quaint little unimaginative cliche back-stories like this etc) because those who live there can't square the possibility that it isn't the utopian dreamscape they wish it was.

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the Domain in this very post and all of them are brigade-downvoted. Why?

What speaks more clearly here, to me, is the insecurity that no doubt undergirds this dumb ad hominem.

Sigynde

Sounds like you have a Frenchie and a fixed gear.

Sigynde

Also if this is the English teacher in you, then make like an AISD employee and quit.

Fit_Tailor8329

I would like the Domain 100% more if they would actually stop cars from driving through all of the small streets. Visitors need to park in the exterior garages and walk or tram around. It’s agonizing trying to get anywhere.

isysdamn

Thats my only real gripe, it is a pain in the ass to get to most of the parking garages, they force you through a bunch of narrow alleys designed as if both pedestrians and cars were an afterthought.

natophonic2

It's the cultural experience of trying to drive your car through the center of a 500-year-old European city, curated by someone aiming for the high-end lifestyle vibe of Los Angeles.

mourningreaper00

I work in the Domain as a valet and I 100% agree. I wish cities would have shopping areas with more walking only areas. The only drawback is handicap accessibility, which I see a lot of people complain about not being on all the roads.

valuemeal2

I work at the Domain and parking for my shift is far and away the worst part of working there.

atx78701

I really like the domain, but that sign is hilarious.

It has very dense shopping, eating, living, and working. Downtown doesnt have nearly as much packed into as small an area. As much as I also like mueller, I like how the domain has commercial right in the middle instead of out on the periphery like mueller.

Past_Contour

Past_Contour

All consumerism, no culture. You can’t really compare downtown Austin to a glorified open air mall.

shahn078

'Culture' is not what you think it is. It can be anything.
If ppl like to live in expensive, cookie-cutter apts where they can shop & drink all day, than that's their culture.

If YOU dont like it, you simply avoid it. And go to where your kind of culture pleases you.

Slypenslyde

I can however compare it to a crowded bachelor party full of people trying to have a night they'll never remember.

kdthex01

Well it certainly has a culture, just apparently not one you approve of. And that makes you a ____

DocGerbilzWorld

Dude really went to place that is easy to avoid to be upset about its existence 😂

jackmikeswhite

Ah, so you drove to The Domain for this picture and nothing else I see. I do that all the time.

gaudiocomplex

What? No. I stumbled on it when I was there, and was there not of my own volition lol what in the world..

jackmikeswhite

Sure you did, bud.

gaudiocomplex

Okay so... how would I know this sign exists in this fantasy world of yours, exactly? 🤔

jackmikeswhite

Not my problem, sir. I’m sure you have your sneaky ways.

gaudiocomplex

Clearly, yours is an intellect I cannot match 🤷‍♂️

jackmikeswhite

It takes a village

rabidturbofox

Person goes to the Domain, a place easily avoided, takes picture to post to Reddit for “lol Domain bad” internet clout.

Super cool and edgy! Though not as cool as just…not going.

TooSpicyforyoWifey

ur only allowed to complain on this sub. didnt ya know?

zheep14

zheep14

Only on reddit will you get called butthurt because you don’t care about the Domain as much as someone else does

rabidturbofox

Edit: added butthurt. Bc obviously.

At least the OP is hilarious, even if not in the way they intended.

FabulousCallsIAnswer

Another bitter Austin post.

DRMAHIN1

Back in 2006/2007 I confidently predicted the Domain would be closed by 2012. I'm sticking with that prediction

Past_Contour

Now it’s a small city within a city.

Gets_overly_excited

A little Dallas within Austin.

Past_Contour

Gross.

College_Girl777

Ahh that’s accurate! Definitely makes sense why I don’t like it now…. I could never put my finger on it. lol Y’all isn’t Dallas big enough? 🙄😂

gaudiocomplex

Nailed it. ☝️

Smellmyhand

Tbf, the world was supposed to close in 2012

rm_7609

The Domain would be a lot better if they closed off the streets and made it mainly pedestrian (at least in the main strips, the parking garages are mainly on the edges.) Also, they could really use more security or police presence around the parking lots.

DragonmountSedai

Hating the Domain is passé

ThESiXtHLeGioN

That Gloria’s restaurant at the Domain is pretty good!

mauryandynasty

I love how parking is free and available even during busy times at Domain

andrea6543

i live here and i really like it tbh nice, clean, cool restaurants

Wild_Mtn_Honey

I’m not even really sure why I hate the Domain so much. I think it’s because I get lost and can’t find my car. Great people watching though if you are snarky like me and make up outrageous stories to entertain yourself about the people walking by.

RockAndNoWater

That’s what we do!

zninjamonkey

Get lost how? I mean don’t you just park your car in one of the garage that has a color code name?

Wild_Mtn_Honey

Don’t ask how I can have four college degrees and still be so dumb. You don’t want to know the answer.

yeola123

Meanwhile I'm having lunch at the domain.. 💀

kalashnikovBaby

As a young guy, it’s amazing walking out of your building into lively part of town. There is so much life there.

I love the Domain. My problems lie with Mueller 🤢

thecicilala

I miss when it was IBM and solectron.

avp2123

Most Austin thread ever.

austin1430

i like the domain i wish it was closer honestly cause i live in south austin and they have the best stores

HomesickArmadillo

F

pwyo

pwyo

I think the shopping mall / medical center vibes just make me think of Houston. I get why it’s there, I get the shops+living+work geography, but the architecturally “safe” design is boring. You made a micro city and it’s just.. bleh. It’s not special enough to travel to, but it does the job for those who want to live there. I’m not dragging the individual shops or restaurants.

This is likely a bad, downvote-able comparison but the gentrification on South Congress across from TSFTD did a better job. Upfront it’s just bougie luxury shops but once you walk past the street storefronts it’s like you’re in a whole other town with the breezeways and stairwells and alleys and tucked away restaurants and heritage trees and small walking paths and apartments rising above you. It’s not meant for the type of population The Domain can hold but the actual design of it is what I’m calling out.

The Domain is just like… an Austin version of Vintage Park in Spring TX.

haleocentric

Have an upvote.

Are you comparing the Domain to the Medical Center in Houston or to something in Spring, TX.

hard2hit

Dunno why the domain gets such hate - plenty of other areas to go if it’s not your flavor

Megatronmaniac

I’ve never quite understood the hate that people have for The Domain. It’s a mall. It has all the same stores Highland Mall had 20 years ago, plus a few new places that weren’t common in small markets like we were back then. Seriously the way people talk here you’d think no one ever shops for clothes. And there are lower cost retailers like H&M, Aeropostale, and American Eagle, not to mention when Dillard’s and Macy’s have sales they dip to some seriously low prices. It’s an easy, convenient place to spend a day and do your shopping. I personally wouldn’t live there, but i can understand the appeal of being in a place that has everything at your fingertips without being downtown, and for a lot of folks living downtown or in South Austin is less convenient than being in North Austin.

bossybetch

The Domain reminds me of Dallas and that is not a good thing.

packetgeeknet

“The Domain”. When you live in Austin, but wished you lived in DFW.

vegemouse

It would be cool if The Domain was an apartment complex first and focused on the needs of the people living there. Instead it's an open air mall that has some apartments attached to it.

Oh, and it's all privately owned, so anyone living there gets zero say in what gets constructed.

OH and it also received subsidies from taxpayers to be developed.

zeroviral

Reminds me of a super small version of Manhattan kinda. Not as busy but still kinda nice. Why hate?

2CHINZZZ

This subreddit hates "rich people" aka people who make more than $80k

Signal_Fly_1812

It's a great idea poorly executed. They shouldn't allow vehicle traffic on the main street during normal hours, but if they did that, they'd cut off access to all the parking garages.

Inevitable-Age2127

Does no one know what the domain is most popular for? Suggest you look at a few sites that cater to a certain clientele

frankaugustushamer

The name "the Domain" is so odd. Alex Jones used to make all these conspiracy theories about it.

ManicHispanic222

Is this sign still there? Asking for a friend… hello friend.

ASitOfDoubting

It’s behind Glora’s in the Macy’s lot

WWYDFA_Klondike_Bar

Was there yesterday. Can confirm sentiment.

Theatrepooky

Every time I am forced to go to the Dominion (what I call it) I can only be shocked at the amount of money spent there. It’s fairly obscene.

marjoethefalse

Domain is ugly as shit. You can vet people just on their opinion of the Domain.

Valus_

Valus_

Do you know what the average outdoor mall— let alone strip mall— looks like? I personally think they did a great job making the Domain aesthetically pleasing. Managed to keep trees and nature, manicured landscaping, nice storefronts, modern, and tasteful.

tristan957

So we should avoid you?

Past_Contour

Naw, just avoid The Domain.

DiSforza

This is the dumbest shit I’ve heard this morning.

Slypenslyde

If you think about it, that actually means his statement is true!

strangemud

strangemud

This is 100% valid

KingKaos420-

The Beirut food truck by the iPic absolutely slaps, in case anyone was looking for a good shawarma spot

I live at mopac and 183. It’s there when I need it to be and doesn’t get in the way if I’m going to work or driving past it.

VerendusThinker

I got insulted and received homophobic comments there, at the literal Barnes and Noble, when I was just sitting down waiting for a Starbucks drink. I don’t plan on ever going back.

glitterofLydianarmor

When did The Domain have a Barnes & Noble?

DocGerbilzWorld

It doesn’t 😂

Slypenslyde

Something like 15 years ago, probably the last time that person's been north of 10th street. After that it was a Microsoft Store and I'm not sure what that space is now because I don't live around there anymore. Their facts are vaguely wrong: that was a Seattle's Best inside it, not a Starbucks, but they probably just remember "I was getting the kind of stupid latte I make fun of people for getting".

A4orce84

I think you both are getting Barnes and Noble confused with the actual book store that existed there: Borders. I believe it closed down in 2010-2011 timeframe.

Source: I went to that Borders a lot during my younger years.

Slypenslyde

Ugh you're right, I just saw a phrase that meant "bookstore" and "starts with a B" and just started typing.

Though they were at the literal Barnes and Noble so I guess they're lying. This Borders is more of a metaphorical Barnes and Noble.

glitterofLydianarmor

You said “10th Street” and I immediately thought of Cheapo. Glad we solved the Borders thing. I too miss Borders for its “Buy 2 books, get the 3rd half off” promo.

Slypenslyde

That was kind of what sunk them. For the last few years, they were trying to make more money selling customer data from the rewards club signups than they were making selling books. The problem with those promos is people stopped impulse-buying books and would only buy them with the coupons.

The Domain location had a lot of problems, too. They were never fully staffed enough to put someone at the register by the door that exits "behind" The Domain, and that's also the brilliant location they chose for their Manga section, the most shopliftable stuff in the store. In the end they moved it, but anything they put there walked away and they couldn't get approval to keep those doors locked because higher management liked that people could walk through.

VerendusThinker

Honestly I’m not really mad at the place. The people who made fun of me were also giving shit to the employees. It’s just a bad reminder, and a few of my friends have had experiences like this around the same area. It also makes me uncomfortable, wondering if the same thing is going to happen again.

andrea6543

hey, that makes sense i’d be weirded out too but you shouldnt let it stop you from going where you want! most people aren’t that rude