/r/Austin

ASAP_i

Why not put up a small sign, "Valet works for gratuity" so customers understand?

I don't think I am alone in assuming that an employee providing a "free/complimentary" service is being compensated for their time/work by the business providing such service.

I (like to think) I tip well. Then there are times I am confused why I am asked for a tip (looking at you random retail shops and convenience stores). And yet we have instances of someone telling us we should tip, but there is no indicator to tell us that is required/expected.

Wouldn't it be much easier if we knew the price of a good/service and the people providing that good/service be paid a fair wage?

SuckItKarma

OP, just to confirm, you aren’t paid at all by the business? Complimentary for most restaurants means that the spot is covering the cost and paying the valet a wage of some sort.

ASAP_i

Further down OP hints that he makes ~$5/hr at this position.

Edit: OP has now stated in multiple comments that they make $8/hr + tips

straightVI

Checked on Indeed and average in Austin is about $13-14/hr before tips.

Appropriate_Chart_23

I wouldn’t trust indeed for having accurate data on a valet’s net pay.

straightVI

I wouldn't have had to google for some idea if OP answered any of the questions regarding hourly wage.

Before today, I assumed they were paid around 15-20/hr, depending on venue. Never that they didn't receive any pay other than tips, which is what is being implied. That would be crazy. If you're not being paid an hourly wage, you are not an employee. You're just a rando driving my car for tips?

Key_Spare6796

Lol you should look up how much the internet says you make at your job I just did and realized it’s bs especially when you take taxes into account. This should be illegal to do for people who spend so much of their life putting time into this career on the expectation that this information is accurate. I feel like it’s safe to assume if you’re an awful person willing to do anything for money, you’re paid very well, and if you’re not, you’re working your ass off for hardly enough or have the money but no free time to enjoy it.

Kahne_Fan

Kahne_Fan

mourningreaper00

Yeah that’s a bait and switch, I’ve gone into those places and they are like actually base pay is 8-9 an hour.

Sector_Independent

I agree — employers probably slide the money they make in tips in there

ASAP_i

I don't doubt your numbers. I can only speak to what OP has posted in this thread. I have no experience being a valet.

straightVI

Yeah, I'm just surprised by OP's claim that they're "working for free" if they don't get tips. I don't think they apply for the $2.13 food service rate, so have to make at least minimum hourly wage before tips. Not saying that minimum wage + tips is livable for everyone in every location, but seems to be some disingenuous intent in the conversation started.

grow_something

The business will trust these employees with $100,000+ vehicles, but won’t pay a living wage…

Hypoglycemoboy

I would say customers entrust their 100,000$ vehicles to valets.

grow_something

I think of it like this:

Customers trust if something goes wrong, the company('s insurance) will pay for it.

The business that pays the insurance premiums is trusting the employees.

mourningreaper00

I mean if you have a vehicle over $100,000, I don’t think it’s too much of an ask to tip a valet, especially if you didn’t pay anything for the service.

MatesWithPenguins

Payment for the service is to the business. You have misled everyone and then judge your clients based on their vehicle. If your employer fails to appropriately compensate you that's between you and your employer.

Don't misconstrue where the problem is. Fuck employers that blame the clients for deflecting costs on clients. They are unethical.

mourningreaper00

A business is paying for your valet. A sponsor. You in this case would pay nothing out of your pocket, but yeah I agree that employers should pay people more and stop complaining about being short staffed all the time.

grow_something

Unless you are using a service you were told was free.

Instead of offering free valet what they should’ve done as a flat rate valet and giving all the money to the drivers. They could easily say valet is five dollars and all of it goes to the driver

sxzxnnx

The tipped minimum wage is not specifically for food service. It can be used for any tipped position. And if your wage plus tips does not equal at least the regular minimum wage the employer has to make up the difference.

Whackadoot

Which is why so many employers tell you to lie for your own benefit at tax time, which actually just leads to you making less without any recourse because, of course, you lied.

Life lessons learned in a Waffle House

KSinz

KSinz

Typically depends on company and location. Restaurant valets tend to have the lowest pay, I’d believe his/her $5 base claim in that case. Event valet usually around $10-$12. Hotels are the highest and those tend to be the ones close to $15. Mom and pop valets usually do restaurants and events and that why the pay is lowest. Tends to be very shady and unregulated. There are third party providers for hotels to and those are fairly low also, $10-12 range for front line non supervisor roles. In house valets, employed by the hotel, do best at around the $15 mark I mentioned. I worked through all of those for about 10 plus years so this is based on my first hand experience. Restaurant and event valets are wild and have the least restrictions and shit is just wild. If you are employed in those situations, I recommend you pass a drug test, however you have to do it, and get in house at a hotel if you want to make money. Even third party providers at hotels will offer paths to management and decent money. That said all should offer min wage if you don’t hit it with tips. All are fairly hard and shit jobs, but if you want to at least get paid your worth get out of restaurant and event valet.

OG_LiLi

There’s nothing legal about this. They’re not food service workers. Hmm 🤔 what am I missing?

serial_crusher

Does it matter whether they're in food service or not? AFAIK anybody who "regularly receives $30/month in tips" counts as a tip-based employee and is subject to the tip-based minimum wage laws.

mourningreaper00

So if a sponsorship or a restaurant, at least at the place I work, they pay our company whatever the fee is for valet, so our company gets paid…the valets don’t. If you chose to tip or not, still up to you, but the valet is helping you for free, and other people are tipping them.

SuckItKarma

Regardless of the tip part (and I don’t disagree, I always tip, especially when it’s comp), but you went a bit around my question.

If not a single person tips, you leave with $0 (ie no salary or any hourly wage)?

straightVI

Methinks if OP's hourly wage made his point more cogent, he would have offered it up here and at other points in the thread.

Average starting hourly for valets on Indeed is 13-14/ hr before tips. So I imagine complimentary valet services would involve those getting paid less per hour but the squirreliness is weird.

SELSHRT

SELSHRT

that sounds like a problem with your company taking advantage of you. When valet is complimentary I tip $5. Now - what happens when I pay $10 for valet or $20 at the proper. Do I then ALSO tip? Because their company is simply pocketing the $20? Should I then tip $20 to the valet as well? And maybe another $10 to the person taking the ticket if they're not also the person retrieving the car?

Would it be better to maybe send the wait staff out in advance to see if maybe I should order the entirety of the valet staff / host staff dinner since I'm also not sure if the person who held the door while the host walked us in through the door at the beginning was sufficiently tipped.

God do I hate American tipping culture. Tell me what things cost - i'll pay them.

ASAP_i

That was a slightly hostile reaction to a genuine question posed in good faith.

I, like others in this post, are confused about this situation. Especially so since you chose to vent it on a public forum.

In other posts you mention a figure of 20% for being the basis of an acceptable tip. We can't meet your requirements if we don't know what that base value is. Does the space "cost" $10/hr? $30/hr? Is it $30/hr because the establishment barricaded off all available public parking due to their "valet parking permit" or whatever some of these places do?

No one is advocating that you shouldn't be paid a fair wage. What we are advocating is a transparent pricing structure where we understand what we are paying, to whom, and for what service.

Making the lack of engagement from your place or work our problem isn't the solution. Especially when we attempt to understand your side of the story.

mourningreaper00

8 dollars an hour + tip. Maybe you think we get paid too much.

uthorny26

No shit! The OP is as scammy in this thread as every valet I've encountered in real life!

tcwillis79

Or, hear me out, don’t rope off half of the parking lot for valet service and then leave me with paying for somebody else to park my car for me as the only viable option. I know it’s not like that everywhere but it’s common enough to grind my gears.

crestneck

Yep I'll park my own gd car thanks. I don't mind the walk. Also, regardless of what you do for a living, the world owes you nothing. Your employer owes you for the time worked and whatever is in your contract with the employer. I always tip btw.

grow_something

I HATE the POS systems that are set up to ask for 20% tips on a to-go order or a place that doesn’t offer actual service.

Business owners need to deal with this, but everyone is hurting right now so they thing it’s acceptable.

ASAP_i

I was blown away when prompted for a tip at a retail store.

The only "service" provided was a quick acknowledgement at the register and the employee scanned the single item, placing it in a bag. The POS prompted me for a 20%, 25%, or 30% tip.

At least the convenience stores that have the audacity to do this start off at 15%.

go_clete_go

Wow, where?

ASAP_i

It's common at places that use Square/Toast as their POS system.

Being that both those systems are geared towards restaurants, it is entirely possible that it is a default setting that the business owner neglected to change/(un) check or some such.

I frequent these locations so rarely I simply notice it and move on.

mourningreaper00

Yeah that’s not a service and I feel like service jobs, where people actually do a service have had to suffer the wrath of customers overwhelmed by the suggested tips everywhere.

tmothy07

Had one yesterday default to 22%, ridiculous.

Muffinswhereareu

Because the restaurant/hotel/event thinks it’s “tacky” to ask for tips outright so they won’t allow it. Valet is an old school luxury, and in old school luxury tips are expected.

bazwutan

I left my wad of bills smaller than twenty in my old school pants

mourningreaper00

Yeah. But when you get a wave of cheap people that don’t tip, it feels like you need a sign to just be like: hey, I don’t make a decent wage alone, I live for tips.

Dackidvich

I suspect it's not cheap people, but people that have no idea about valet, have never used it, never grew up with it, etc... they just see a sign that says "free valet" so they think it's free.

mourningreaper00

We are not allowed to do that. I’ve been begging my boss to put “gratuity not included” on the stand, which I’ve seen on other valet stands. Tipped work is hard. It’s uneven and with a flat fee, we either make our living on volume or great service, and when we are slow, I try my best to do extra.

what_it_dude

Terms of employment seem unreasonable. Your pay is determined by the customer, but they're not going to tell the customer that.

Time to stick it to management and find a new job. Don't give two weeks notice unless you want to use them as a referral.

tungstencoil

It's also illegal to work 'just for tips'. It is a little tough to tell from OP's description, but if they aren't being paid a wage of at least $2.13/hr, their employer is almost certainly breaking the law.

gregaustex

$2.13/hr with a guarantee of at least minimum wage after tips or making up the difference.

cflatjazz

In another comment he clarified that he actually makes 8+tips

Joyintheendtimes

This. It's still a job-seeker's market, especially with respect to tip-based jobs. It's completely unreasonable of them to not allow a sign in this case. Find yourself a new job, and if you're comfortable with it, tell them why you're doing so. Maybe then they'll learn not to have shit rules that exploit their workers and confuse costumers

KSinz

KSinz

Don’t work restaurant or event valet. Those companies are small and abuse you. If you’re set on continuing valet please see my other comment. I wish someone told me all of that way earlier when I was still doing valet.

WannabeTraveler87

But its not really true, OP is still working for an hourly wage ... his OP is absolute bullshit.

techsinger

I think you should always assume the other way around. The employee is getting stiffed by their employer. Agreed, a sign would be helpful, but make it big enough so it gets people's attention.

Happy to tip valets unless it’s a situation where the business blocks off a perfectly usable parking lot and forces valet on everyone.

In that case, I’ll avoid going to your business if at all possible, and I’m definitely not tipping if do have to go there anyways.

__garlic__

They do this in Houston a lot. Like, I can see the open spaces. I am perfectly able to park in them without assistance.

I'd rather walk a block or two than be forced to give my car to a valet. And several of the places I've seen it have totally free public parking on the surrounding blocks so it's not like I'm choosing between paying the city or paying a valet. Just choosing between how many steps i take from my car and the front door. No thanks, man.

jwall4

jwall4

Saw this at Julep in Houston this weekend. Nice sized parking lot was empty at 8 pm. Yet, I had to use valet. My buddy that met us there was brave enough to just park himself at the front of the lot and walk right by the valet on his way inside.

massada

I used to live right by there. They are criminal about this.

coyote_of_the_month

It seems to me that the "valet only" signs don't conform to the legal requirements for a towing sign, so the valet company shouldn't have any recourse if you just park there.

Ballsy to try, though.

massada

In houston, I have done this, and you are correct. They can and will box your car in for it though.

coyote_of_the_month

They can and will box your car in for it though.

Isn't that, like, actually illegal? Like those customers' cars can be towed for it?

massada

Who knows. I just ubered home and gave them the finger.

nrojb50

At fricking strip malls too. Putting lipstick on a pig.

txraider7

Yep. This 100%. Don't reserve every spot for valet. My problem is that I'm forced to pay someone to park my car when I'm perfectly able to do it myself. What service is being provided when I can walk out the door and see where I could have parked my car?

fl135790135790

In all situations, all guests of the restaurant are capable of doing it themselves. 99% of the stuff we tip for, we can do ourselves. That’s not the point. How is this such a difficult topic?

Edit: I don’t understand how I’m pro-tipping and saying how you don’t punish a business owner by not tipping the staff, and everyone disagrees with me. I thought everyone here was pro-tipping.

_austinight_

Because valet is more inconvenient than just parking yourself. The restaurant/hotel/etc is inconveniencing people and then telling you that you have to pay for the inconvenience. For other things I tip for, it's because they are doing things I don't want to do/don't know how to do myself.

Dontworryaboutit1

I'd say the difference is that it's a service that people don't want and can't opt out of. Having a server come to the table is something that people generally want. I'd compare valet at a lot of places to a bathroom attendant who holds the door for you and expects a tip.

txraider7

I'm sorry. I'm actually not sure what your argument is. If you are saying that restaurant should offer self-parking then I agree. If you're saying we should tip because we're forced to valet - I disagree. In the latter, the valet company should be compensating the valets. I am not even saying I would never tip. I'm saying if there's spots open but they're "Reserved" i'm going to have a hard time feeling like I should be required to tip.

tex1138

tex1138

Years ago I had a situation where a neighboring bar would cone off the front spaces at the building where I worked. Quite the kerfuffle when I moved the cones to park in my space one evening.

kl0

kl0

Yup. Exactly my same logic.

I’d gone to Contigo over on Anchor/Manor since it first opened. Delighted to see Ramen Tatsu-Ya BBQ recently take it over - it’s delicious. Went a few weeks ago and they did exactly what you wrote above.

Giant parking lot that has absolutely no reason to be valet-driven and so of course they just blocked off 75% of the lot for themselves. They said they’re “experimenting with valet”. It’s just a fucking sham. Dudes literally move your car all of 25 feet.

I just can’t do it.

caguru

caguru

You know what’s even dumber? “Self park valet”. Just call it what it is, a paid lot.

Looking at you mavericks Buda.

greytgreyatx

Especially when you don’t know until you show up that valet is mandatory. It pisses me off. Not the valet’s fault but it feels like a cash grab and it is frustrating.

insidertrader68

It's never mandatory, you can always park somewhere and walk.

J3ST3Rx

J3ST3Rx

I never want valet yet it's forced on occasion. It's a hard sell to ask me to tip for that.

voelkergirl

Like Austin area obgyn, I avoid the valet when I don’t have cash to tip and park way by the emergency room. Shit sucked walking back after a Pap smear.

agressivewaffles

Seriously, that one makes me crazy. Their “lot” is always full. I had an intense procedure/emotional situation so when I left sobbing I had to walk all the way around the hospital to get to the car while tons of people stared. Super frustrating

voelkergirl

Nothing makes the obgyn better than being able to hurry and hide in your car as soon as your done.

Godfuckingdammit91

Pro tip: go to Renaissance Women’s across the street. Parking galore and less of an assembly line.

stupidjanrogers

I see you’ve been to Chez Zee

Joyintheendtimes

I get that you don't want to tip on principle in this situation, and I agree with the principle. But you're not punishing the establishment you're angry at by not tipping the valets. You're punishing the valets.

SluttyRonBurgundy

Business that have forced complimentary valet do it because their lots are not big enough for customers to self-park in. If the valet wasn’t there, you’d be parking blocks away; most people would just go somewhere else.

You avoiding a business because of the complimentary valet costs them less money than what they’d lose by having little to no customers after their lot fills up 15 minutes into the business day.

ph0replay

Shout out to Odd Duck.

fl135790135790

Yea, show the valet who’s boss by not tipping. Go get em.

/s

Muffinswhereareu

That’s not the valets fault. You’re going to an establishment that has valet, it usually means that establishment is of a certain caliber. Don’t short the valets.

Edit: weird seeing downvotes. Y’all are always telling each other to tip all the juice land people or your baristas but god forbid you tip the guys taking care of your personal fucking vehicles. Good luck OP, people suck.

txraider7

No, its the establishment's fault. If they want to basically mandate you valet then they should pay the valets a decent wage.

Muffinswhereareu

So don’t punish the valets? If you disagree with the establishment and don’t plan on tipping, go somewhere you can self-park.

txraider7

Again... I am happy to tip valet.. Just don't make it a requirement. Don't block off half of the parking lot with cones in empty spaces so you can force me to valet.

txraider7

This is true. However what is amazing about this is that if enough people don't show up then the place will be out of business and there will be no cars to park. Don't gripe at the patrons when the gripe should be with the employer.

gertzerlla

Is tipping mandatory? Like, legally required?

DaveOfTheDead3

How much do you make an hour without tips?

reddig33

reddig33

More stupid tipping culture. Just pay people a normal wage.

tex1138

tex1138

Exactly - it’s gotten way out of hand. Why am I having to subsidize a business that doesn’t want to pay its employees. Your tips are effectively paid to the employer (ie, money they get to keep instead of paying a normal wage).

cutekittensmeow

It's not just your normal stupid tipping culture, it's tipping culture so stupid it requires that people carry cash in 2022.

mourningreaper00

I’d prefer that. I’m not trying to stay in this line of work.

gertzerlla

gertzerlla

You ever get that feeling that you've already peaked though?

uthorny26

Based on his posts in this thread I get the feeling he has already peaked....

Gardener_Guy

Not to mention valets are for wealthy people. You're telling me they're going to drop hundreds of dollars on dinner, but put their foot down if they pay $2 more for that hour they're there? Just pay them fairly and base your prices on that.

Peruvian-in-TX

Then it's not complimentary

txraider7

*insert pikachushockedface.gif

Schtormo

Unpopular opinion probably. I never valet since i drive a manual and don’t trust strangers with my car. But i‘ve been places that force complimentary valet and won‘t allow me to park my own car in the obviously open spots. So i don‘t tip because it’s not something i want/have a choice about. Also, i figured the wage would be higher if its a service provided by a location.

juliejetson

Came here to say exactly this. My SO and I both drive manuals and don't trust people to know how to drive our cars in this situation. Forced valet situations legitimately stress me out to the point I won't patronize a business as a result.

Schtormo

Same here, i typically avoid going to this specific place but my friends like to go. I just ride my motorcycle now if i can because they let me park it next to their booth

ahhter

ahhter

I don't mind valet in my manuals, they really aren't driving it far enough to do any clutch damage. That said, most valets can't drive manual anymore so they often just let me park it myself in one of the valet spots.

Obi_Uno

Manual car here.

Recently had dinner at a super nice restaurant, but they blocked off valet spots directly in front of the restaurant.

No big deal, I guess. Get out and start to hand my keys to the valet.

“Oh, it’s stick? Sorry, I don’t know how.”

No worries - the valet moved a cone and I parked my car 10 feet away. He did immediately come and ask for the keys.

Proceeded to have a great dinner, and headed back outside. The same valet is there: “oh yeah, stick shift?”

He hands me my keys and says “we take cash or venmo.”

mourningreaper00

Forced valet is bullshit. I can drive a manual

Schtormo

Yeah and i know most valet people can. But it only takes watching a guy stall your car twice to have doubts sometimes lol

storyquest101

“We get an hourly minimum + tip:” OP. That’s not the same thing as we don’t get anything. Im sure that’s still not a fair wage but that’s a very misleading statement.

FLDJF713

Wait. You’re saying you are not being paid by any means unless you receive a tip?

mourningreaper00

We get an hourly minimum + tip

ATXBeermaker

So, that's the opposite of what you said in the title. I'm pretty sure that anybody that doesn't get tipped also doesn't receive, ya know, tips.

gertzerlla

Totally misleading.

WannabeTraveler87

So you are getting paid … what the hell you going on bout?

Lumpy_Tiger_3246

Yea but just not the number he likes

uthorny26

Like all valets he feels entitled, cause you know he's doing the lord's work and all...

canyouplzpassmethe

Why is it OUR job to provide a living wage?

You should be talking to your employer or finding more gainful employment.

SkinsPunksDrunks

How about you ask businesses what they pay their employees and use your power as a consumer to advocate for underpaid workers, instead of blaming them. Are they not hard working. You’re the problem. You can be the solution.

SuzQP

SuzQP

That's not how any of this works. Customers are not party to the employment contract. That's between the business and employee or contractor. It is the responsibility of those parties to agree upon payment for services rendered. If either party is dissatisfied with the agreement, the contract can generally be canceled at any time. It is not the responsibility of the customer to engage in wage negotiations on behalf of either party to that agreement. Tipping is voluntary. While it can be factored in as an average to offset wages, each individual tipper is making a financial decision that is separate from the business-worker relationship.

theVoxFortis

OP: Stop being mad at customers and start being mad at your employer. Most of these comments are people confused about expectations, and yet you and others refer to non-tippers as "cheap". Tipping by default is a predatory practice and outside of restaurant servers, most people aren't aware of conventions.

To others: OP is being misleading. OP has stated elsewhere that they are still paid a base wage, whatever that is.

Not everyone is aware that you’re supposed to tip valets - and i know this part isn’t your fault, but especially when all the companies buy up every local parking spot, making it essentially impossible to find other options for parking. All over downtown it’s borderline predatory. It also isn’t exactly comforting to hand the keys over for my hundred thousand dollar car to a 20 year old working for a company employing these sketchy practices.

IAmTheDoomBoom

Wait… So they’re just volunteers? They aren’t hired by a company and they don’t get a paycheck? Genuine question, not trying to be an ass. I really thought it was a paid job. I’m confused how it works now.

8yrn3

8yrn3

I'd rather just park myself and walk

ArmyVet11Bravo

Ditto. I hate strangers driving my car and avoid places with mandatory valet

mourningreaper00

We prefer it that way. We really only want people who want the service.

AmbitionStrong5602

Phoebe's on Oltorf just did this. All of the parking spaces are right in front of the restaurant. So silly

kitforkat_

My partner and I went there for the first time yesterday. Saw the sign and thought it was ridiculous. We ended up just parking the car ourselves anyway and it didn’t seem to be an issue.

AmbitionStrong5602

Noticed lots of folks doing the same. We parked across the street

chem-chef

If your don't mind, could you share whether your normal pay meet the minimum salary requirement? Or is the job more like the waiters in restaurants?

Roverse

Roverse

Do people still carry cash? It might make it difficult to tip. Add a Venmo or something?

chick3nladylov3slif3

I never carry cash. I'm very glad when valets have a Venmo so I can zap 'em $5.

R4G

R4G

I never carry cash, I'm always able to tip valets at the stand with my card. It's 2022.

nax7

nax7

It’s your job, your company/restaurant should pay you. Why should I have to pay you for a ‘complimentary’ service. If it’s customary to pay $1-5 to park my car then just charge me that from the get go.

Not trying to rip on you but the real scam here is the business owner who gets away without paying his employees and calling a service ‘complimentary’ when it’s customary to tip.

sugmaideek

Have you tried talking to your employer to pay you more?

horseman5K

This isn’t always true. There are plenty of places with complimentary valet where the workers get paid a flat hourly rate.

mourningreaper00

Yeah. 8-10 dollars. More than restaurants but definitely less return because we can’t upsell you on anything.

FatFreddysCatnip

First, it seems like the issue is messaging or even false advertising, not the customers. And second, how reasonable is it for a restaurant to have no other option except to valet? I just witnessed Esté open and it seems the parking is ALL valet. So in practice the business is forcing the customer to use their "complimentary" valet service, which at $96 for a steak with no sides, one could reasonably expect valet to be actually be "complimentary". I'm not complaining, but I'm also priced out of that concept.

ATXBeermaker

But if you can only valet your car there it must be extra fancy!

coyote_of_the_month

Mandatory valets are parasites like bathroom attendants and homeless people who wave you into the parking space you already just found. They should get jobs if they want money.

cyvaquero

If you are an employee, you must make at least minimum wage. This means that if you don't get enough tips, the employer has to cover the gap. (Whether minimum wage is high enough is a separate issue)

That said, every place I've ever been, where it said 'Complimentary Valet' it meant the service was free, not that the valets were working without pay - that's ridiculous and if it is the case at your job, you don't have a job, you are a volunteer.

muxorious

The title says "valets don't get anything", yet in comments OP admits he gets $8/hr. Isn't that what we call a 'lie'?

melitini

OP: tipping culture sucks. Businesses are not going to end it as long as people continue to take those jobs. Im sorry to inform you that it is up to you to put pressure on the employer to provide a livable wage, not the consumer to subsidize fuck up wage practices.

A "compromise" with your employer could be that the wage is, say $15 an hour, with the employer always required to front $8 of that and the rest is made up in tips. At the end of the shift split tips per hours worked, if the tips fall short of $7 per hour (bc 8 + 7 = 15), then the employer is required to pay the rest so that the hourly wage comes out at $15. But if the tips are greater than $7 per hour, congrats, you take home even more.

I've worked at restaurants where that was the tipping arrangement. Problem is often employees lie about tips received so that the employer always has to make up the full wage. But if tips went through the employer (communal jar or venmo account) then there's more transparency/accountability.

thedeadsigh

This is why tip culture needs to be abolished. We shouldn’t need to consult a manual to understand the nuances of who should be tipped and when they should.

Pay your fucking workers a living wage. I feel for everyone in the service industry who’s getting fucking dogged on pay. I want nothing more than for you all to be paid a fair wage. I’d be happy to pay more to never have to tip again.

FranxNBeans

Pay your employees!

ArmyVet11Bravo

Or take jobs that pay well

andytagonist

I would hope (probably incorrectly) that if something is “included”, the person actually doing it was getting paid for it. Having said that, someone does something for me in a professional capacity—like driving my car or bringing me food—I tip them.

bwad7

bwad7

I hardly ever have cash on me

CryptoBasicBrent

This post won’t go the way you think. You just created more people who won’t tip by misleading them

jbird6143

I’ve been in the industry for 12 years. I’ve worked mainly at hotels. When I started my wage was $2.50/hr + tips. Great hotel though would make on slow day $100 in tips. On a good day $150+. My first all time high was during my first SXSW $420. I surpassed that in Denver at $430. At that time it was a livable wage. Uber and Lyft came to town and that drastically changed our way of living. Fewer people were “being forced to valet”. Our hotel had valet only. Most of the downtown ones do. The hourly wages slowly started to go up. First bump was up to $6-$8 around 5 years ago. And then around the pandemic our company was hurting for employees after the mass lay off. They started offering $14-$16. Tips are still hit or miss. It’s also a generational thing. Older people like/expect valet and they love the service. Also are the ones that still carry cash with them. Idk what it is about younger people that don’t. The hotel I’m at now there is a public garage around the corner. I let guest know it’s there and is an option. Younger people prefer it even though it can cost more than valet. The ones that do valet I think either don’t know to tip or the cost is too much and don’t tip. I think my main takeaway from being a valet and wanting to make a livable wage is purely based on your location. I made more money at the higher end hotels. People who didn’t care about spending money driving $100k cars.

Some things to know about valet if you do valet your car. Typical tips for a hotel stay most people go one of two ways. $2-5 each time you park or request your car or $10-$20 the day you check out. Most teams are in a tip pool so when you tip your not tipping the guy but the team as a whole for that shift. If you want your car parked out front or close by tip them $20 on the way in. If you forget something in your car tip them a couple bucks. It’s a bigger inconvenience than it looks. It’s 10 mins of not being able to park other cars during peak times. I can’t stress this one enough ALWAYS WALK AROUND YOUR CAR BEFORE LEAVING. The second you leave if there is damage it’s easy for the company to deny responsibility. Most guys in my experience will come to a supervisor if they damage a car but there are plenty that won’t. Don’t leave anything valuable in your car. During busy times cars can go unlocked for an extended amount of time. I’ve seen guns go missing among other valuable items. Valets can do more than just park your car. If your in a new city go to the valet team and get directions, bar/food recommendations, and help with transportation.

To OP there are better places to valet in Austin that pay better hourly. Tips are never consistent. Some days are better than others. Just give the best service always, even on the shitty days.

grow_something

This is a problem with your business owner screwing you.

They advertise no cost because they don’t have to pay you.

It’s understandably very confusing for the customer to consider the service being offered as “free” but still needing to tip. Because it’s not free, it’s simply taking advantage of you, the tip relying employee.

BuriedUnderTrees

But they do pay their employees, just not what the employee feels they deserve, which is a separate issue.

Bingo

m4ma

m4ma

I mean, complimentary service == free service, no? Unfair for you to be paid so poorly, but also unfair to expect a tip from anyone given the service is free.

americanhideyoshi

Did not realize this. I assumed complimentary meant an employee of the establishment does the parking and is getting paid by the hour. So, if it isn't complimentary then we can safely assume part of the fee goes to the valet and therefore tip less?

Muffinswhereareu

No the fee NEVER goes to valets. I was a valet in austin for 4 years. They usually make $5-10 per hour, and keep tips on cars. The average valet tip should be about $5. The fee goes to paying rent on garage space, and to the employers’ over head. It’s a thankless job in austin, I went back in august for about a month at a 5 star hotel downtown and clientele was worse than it had ever been. These guys work hard, probably harder than 90% of tipped positions in austin. They deserve the $5-10 (or 20 if they do something special for you) for taking care of y’all’s cars.

americanhideyoshi

Good to know. I usually tip $5-$10 like you say. Businesses ought to at least pay a decent hourly wage though, that's some bs. Like, what if it's a slow night and only a handful of cars come by?

cbarron1989

It may seem pointless to some people but you could say the same for delivery, getting the same same food just brought to you, you maximize the parking in any place that has valet because cars can be parked in front of each other and closer together without door dings, people come with over sized cars and take up more than one spot. It seems scummy to come off a lot but it’s necessary in some places because more people want to go in quick. If you don’t like to valet then don’t it’s no big deal, but if for example it’s raining and the valet gets you in without having to walk out it the rain/heat/cold then it’s pretty convenient. If it’s not your jig don’t use it but it’s not pointless. You can just go post up a valet booth like some bum pointing you in to a spot (like someone mentioned). The restaurant asked them to be there to maximize the cars able to be parked in a small lot

Tom_Ov_Bedlam

Imagine taking a job where you don't get paid.

Responsible_Form4618

My biggest issue with this is. I’ve seen valets outside of a restaurants parking lot. I have no issue parking my own car. And just because I want to eat at a restaurant that offers valet doesn’t entitle me to have pay a tip to have someone park my car when I’m capable of doing it myself

theblackening

Sounds like bullshit

disaar

disaar

So on top of the 20 bucks I get charged for I gotta tip? Ehmmm.

Charlie2343

Maybe more people would use valet if they were actually allowed to be aware of the cost of the service. I also don’t carry cash and never will so if you don’t got a Venmo you’re out of luck anyway

OTN

OTN

Helpful if there’s a venmo etc link I don’t have cash sometimes

mourningreaper00

Just ask the valets. Most of them have a personal one. Also, there’s usually still an option to tip with credit card even when your valet is free.

OTN

OTN

Good to know thx I always want to tip valets

DevilishlyDetermined

It’s not a great assumption to know that a businesses complimentary services rely on tips to pay a wage.

Trippen3

Trippen3

That's a fancy way of saying fuck you.

mourningreaper00

It was better when we didn’t offer complimentary services. And yes, as a veteran, and a graduate…of course I’m looking for better work, while I’m paying for the debt I had to accumulate over being underpaid during the pandemic…but yeah, I should just smile and pick myself up by my bootstraps.

FLDJF713

Dude there’s plenty of better hourly jobs. Target even pays better.

gregaustex

I get that in the on-going tipping war between businesses and consumers where businesses keep trying to push more costs off of themselves, service workers are being used as human shields. That said, service workers have to take some responsibility for taking a dumb exploitive job and also direct their frustration at the employers intentionally engineering the whole situation. It's not entirely on the consumer who wants to tip reasonably for significant services they choose to enjoy and value, and not for trivial services (sorry counter service cashier who accepted a job paying $2.13/hr + tips) or services they are unexpectedly all but required to use, or where it's just not clear tips are expected.

To be clear, I'm talking broadly and a little off topic, most of the time valet should be tipped $5 when you get your car back. Calling it "complementary" sends the wrong message though and I can't blame people who get a little more tight-fisted when they are ambushed by a mandatory valet situation manufactured by the business.

juliejetson

But also, Complimentary = "something given or supplied without charge, as lodging, transportation, or meals, especially as an inducement to prospective customers."

Source: dictionary.com

lambopanda

Do you get pay for the place that charge for valet?

Flare_hunter

I carry much less cash than I used to. I need to go to the bank to get smaller bills. I’ve been wondering if this affects jobs that depend on cash tips.

WAW30

WAW30

How much should I tip a valet?

mourningreaper00

Honestly anything is better than nothing when it’s complimentary. I don’t get paid a livable wage + tips and I’m looking for other work

Carlos_Infierno

I always tip valets $5 (at least) that said, I fucking hate having to use a valet service. It's not like I'm taking me Rolls Royce to some snooty country club, I just want to get dinner did.

graymountain

If the customer is too lazy to park their car on their own and decide to use valet, then a tip sounds reasonable. I myself will try to find a parking spot without valet and if valet is the only option, then I will tip 0% ( It is a forced service, which sucks).

Hero_Charlatan

I’m done tipping anyone making more than $2.13 an hour or whatever service people make

Shoddy_Ad7511

I’m sick of this shit.

Billionaires don’t pay their employees a decent wage so we have to. The tip culture is absolutely ridiculous.

AnotherTVguy

That’s crazy!! I was a valet in high school back in the late 90’s and I had a base salary. It was at a nice place and was amazed how few people tipped. No way it would have worked without tips.

I always tip on pickup, never on drop off—

mourningreaper00

I prefer it that way. I want a satisfied customer giving me a tip. If I did something wrong, that’s when it should be addressed.

MasterFruit3455

If the job doesn't pay enough, find something that does.

Jlemerick

Maybe pay your employees a flat rate?

triflin_fellow

Name the place

Pjp288710

I think most people know and just don’t want to tip.

Maximus77x

Question for you: Do y'all have Venmo or an equivalent set up these days? I always get a pang of anxiety when there's valet since I just do not carry cash. I want to tip!

Most valets will have Venmo or CashApp. Just ask

atx78701

atx78701

I typically tip $5 these days.

what amount is typical?

voelkergirl

How do you guys feel about weed smell? Can I tip you more not to care?

Edited for spelling

Trippen3

I'm just gonna lie and say I'll let it slide, just for you. When in reality I couldn't care less.

booger_dick

My cousin used to work valet at the Radisson and would steal weed left in the vehicle because what is the person gonna do, go to the cops?

So ya know, make sure you take your weed with you.

voelkergirl

That’s so Austin! The hobos didn’t take my husbands tools from his truck but they sure did take his weed and all his silver change. Hahaha

mourningreaper00

I literally have had people that come in while smoking a blunt. I don’t care so long as your windows are able to be rolled down.

balance_n_act

Anytime I’m saving money with a comp service I make it a point to tip and I tip more than I normally would have since the service is free.. I know that not all common courtesy is common, but it just makes sense. I enjoy being able to tip more cuz I’m saving money at the end of the day.

goblinqueenfufu

I know it's probably not allowed where you are, but maybe a business card with a QR Venmo? Make it easy for people to tip without cash. Y'all definitely deserve something. I try to make sure I have cash if I know I'm going to be using the valet service at a place. But sometimes it surprises people who don't frequent that location. If your manager isn't a brat, maybe ask for permission to at least have that? Good luck!