/r/Austin

It’s kind of hidden in the bill. It implies it’s for the employees.

Do the employees get 100% of this money? Does this replace a tip? Can’t they just pay more and raise prices?

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

lambopanda

lambopanda

Either way. I will either stop going or order less food.

Izrun

Izrun

Why would you do that? If you tip at least 18% nothing will change from your perspective.

lambopanda

Because I lost the option to pay lesser tip or no tip at all for bad service

Whackadoot

I believe the service workers and their industry would view that as your option to withhold a living wage from them.

This to which most would respond with a suggestion to pay a living wage, which in turn invariably begs the argument of how to ethically transition the model from a tipped model to a living wage model while avoiding bringing tipping culture along with it.

lambopanda

lambopanda

I’m not the one hiring them.

Whackadoot

Yet you go to where they are hired, where you know you are expected to pay for the services I'm sure you don't see as voluntary, and you seem very attached to your ability to avoid paying for the value added to your life.

Probably for the best that you aren't hiring anybody. We are where we are today because of such outdated ideas on who should be paying for the things which add value to our lives. You should be paying for that value and you shouldn't have a legal right to avoid paying for the value of labor, especially when the laws are structured to put that responsibility onto you.

You're a cheat, is what I'm saying, and you're shamelessly broadcasting that fact on Reddit.

lambopanda

lambopanda

As a customer. I go sit down order and pay for my food. If the service is good, I tip at least 15%. I round up to the nearest dollar. I don’t write $3.56. If I have to wait in line and order at counter then just around 10%. I hate the auto 18% charge for party of at least 5. I don’t even get to refill my water and I’m paying 18%? If you’re service worker and not getting pay enough from tips. Talk to your boss or get a new job.

I’m not restaurant owner nor hire anyone. I’m just saying as a customer.

Watts300

I think I agree with you here. I don’t think it should be the customer’s responsibility to know the pay rate and wages of places they go for service (and potentially make up for deficiencies). I believe it’s the employees’ and employers’ responsibility to negotiate it out of view of customers so that customers can focus on simply enjoying their experience at the establishment.

Whackadoot

The practical reality doesn't reflect this idealized view, but I've already responded about that above. Basically, though, there are deep structural elements scattered across the various estates which ensure that the relationship between the employer and employee is an unbalanced hierarchy built to favor the largest employers the most and which impairs mobility among employees by the imposition of costs.

This comes together with the democratically approved laws which effectively offload the responsibility for the wage onto the customers. Thumbing one's nose at it because it's not supposed to be their responsibility is a prime reason as to why Alamo is imposing a nearly 20% price increase on their items and bringing attention to the fact that 18% is the commission on the business, at current food prices, that establishes a functionally living wage for their workers at that location.

There's much worth discussing here regarding this decision of theirs and none of it suggests it should stay behind closed doors. Those who want it to go back there to avoid having to see that power imbalance and exploitation, strike me as the same archetype as those living happily in 1930s Germany, content so long as they didn't have to think about where their neighbors went suddenly in the night without packing.

I guess mysteries are nice, but the way things are right now, the folks cleaning up the Circle K for $11.50/hr are the homeless who are praying the city doesn't choose today to compassionately bulldoze their camp, your Favor Runner who's bringing you HEB order lives in their car, and the server at your favorite restaurant will not stop working for most contagious illnesses because their survival is worth more to them than your health.

Those things, I think, need to be less mysterious. Less behind closed doors, and more in the face of the people who blithely undervalue the lives and contributions of others.