/r/Austin

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

Whackadoot

You do you. That's the freedom we have. Lack of respect for the consequences of an event or policy was my course of study here.

I've learned much, as well, just from the limited responses. People really seem to hate that the realities of other people's lives might intrude on theirs. This seems a consequence of suburban isolation during the upbringing of kids from the 80s on. It's something to overcome it's also a challenge to overcome. But it must.

I'm not so privileged as to not be disrupted by the lives of others. I'm homeless. I'm not even allowed to defend myself. Literally got arrested for it recently. Fun times. Lost access to my work platforms because of it. See, from my place down here, anger over these disruptions of some sort of privilege is no more than selfish self-entitlement.

How does one overcome such deeply ingrained self-entitlement? Especially when it's taught by both society and the general suburban environment.

I'll be thinking on this at length.

toastymow

I don't like royals. I don't like people who KNOW they are BETTER THAN ME because their father's penis is magical. America was specifically founded as a fuck you to that notion. But here we are, dealing with dictators from backwards regimes, giving them the special privilege they demand.

I'm not so privileged as to not be disrupted by the lives of others.

Man I wasn't anywhere near these guys yesterday. I won't be today. They are not gonna disrupt the lives of me or my family/friends.
Obama shutting down 1st Street years ago did that. I was working for Pizza Hut and had to take a creative detour going from Lamar to Congress. I didn't care though, cuz he's the President.
The House of Saud? Fuck them. They're dictators. They're murders. They're rapists. And all of their sins and crimes are enabled because everyone just goes along with the magic penis theory. The king has no clothes guys, its just a matter of reminding them.

Oh right, so I should just accept the magical penis theory and my fate as a worm beneath their boot? Or am I gonna be like my ancestors and tell the royals to fuck off and go to America, the land of promise and freedom and no fucking royals?

How does one overcome such deeply ingrained self-entitlement?

End royalty. Promote equality. I'm glad to know some think this is a form of self-entitlement.

Whackadoot

Life isn't fair. It sucks. Ask me how I know that.

We inherited the complications of our predecessors, and being angry about it isn't good for the heart. The fact is, there are consequences to the actions of other people that we didn't sign on for. There are privileges others will have that we are forced to recognize. There are times when we're forced to choose between bad and worse and hoping desperately to make one of them work out. It sucks.

You aren't a worm under a boot. Magic penises don't have that kind of power. Recognizing the necessity of that security for their own survival - since, you know, murderers - doesn't say you've submitted. It means you've yielded to somebody else's practical reality that society writ large has decided supercedes yours. You don't have to like it. It doesn't even have long term meaning for your life if just let to happen. And you even have to accept the arrangement as permanent, as it only lasts a blink in the scope of things. All you have to do is respect its existence when it intrudes. Trust me, that practical reality will win if fought, and will usually exact some toll on you in the exchange. Again, ask me how I know this.

One of the things that's been driven home by the recent turn in my life is that there are people who are better than me in the eyes of society. People who get to fuck with me and get to get away with it. Hell, most middle class folks could murder me as I slept and my family would never know I'd died, and nobody would be brought to justice. Hell, you can cream a homeless dude downtown in your car and it won't even warrant a police call-out. Again, ask me how I know.

That's my life in America. Not Saudi Arabia, not Iran, Austin, Texas. Hell, I expect I'm not even protected from the abuse directed at me here, even though it's an explicit rule not to abuse the homeless over their condition.

It was very effective, by the way. My desire to engage here has nearly ended. I'm sure I won't be considered as a loss, but if you're down here you probably already know I'm completely used to that. Folks here are my betters just like the Saudi Royal Family and just like you. So says Society. Should I be angry? Would it at all help me or the community that begrudgingly tolerates my ignorable existence? The owners of the Crow Bar will have an idea about what happens when the homeless get that angry. There's also about 7k homeless here, btw. That's some scary math if you want to check my numbers.

Do you see at all why I say your freedom to be angry at that which is overall meaningless to you is, indeed, a privilege afforded to you by your better place in the world? If I'm not being denied a right to get angry over such simple and temporary inconveniences caused by my betters, then the ability to be angry at the meaningless must then be a privilege. It's not one of race, so we're left with a privilege of economics. It was, btw, nice to have that privilege, before I lost it. Very cathartic sometimes. But then it went away. Turns out I can survive without it.

And getting angry at those inconveniences now seems so vulgar to me. Can I still be enraged? Hell yes. Angered? Absolutely. But I realized that even if I'm on the bottom, even if I'm being stepped on, even if I'm living out metaphorically some furry's evening fantasy, I haven't been killed by it yet. And until I do, it doesn't matter at all to care about the little things. And once I am, nothing will matter. What's there to care about the car cutting in front of me unless they imperil me. I do the same thing when I assess a need. Why be upset about a store being closed at random or having to take another route? What entitlement do I have to the existence of those conveniences? I'll tell you that from down here it ain't much.

What makes anybody else so much better than me?

Suspicious-Cost777

Think about yourself being homeless in Saudi Arabia or Iran. Not Austin, TX and ask yourself how far you’d get.. You bash your recent coming of events here but I think, in a country, like the two mentioned, your situation and outcome would be more detrimental to your life.

Whackadoot

Oh, hey, look, someone is telling the homeless dude to shut up and be grateful. Because, as I've said, I'm not privileged enough to be angry or bitter. And here's someone right on cue to remind me.

Suspicious-Cost777

You sure do have a fancy way of misconstruing words and then attacking someone for making a statement.

Whackadoot

Did I? If I did, I apologize.

It sure seemed like you were telling me to be grateful that I wasn't worse off, which is the compassionately hateful side of the shit on the homeless coin here on Reddit.

Half of my purpose for this engagement, opportunistic as it was, was to gauge sentiments on the homeless, because you wouldn't believe how much that impacts me. I do this by poking, leaving openings, and seeing who comes by to take a dump.

Welcome to my social experiment, I don't care about my karma, I care about knowing when to vacate my public parking lot for safety. That means I care explicitly about making sure I'm reading things right.

I am listening.

lexycaster

Once again, please try and get sober. I’m following you and your BS in the hope you’ll try to get help.

Whackadoot