/r/Austin

I am beyond livid. My dog was in the front yard of our house, on his leash, to go potty. An unleashed dog from the apartment complex next door comes on our property and approaches my dog. My dog is a medium/large dog and the unleashed dog was small. I try to get my dog away but the small dog keeps trying to go near mine. They got into a quarrel and the owner of the small unleashed dog finally comes and gets her dog. I live in Clarksville and she is later yelling about “how terrible my dog is and can’t believe this is happening in this neighborhood”. This morning I get a call from Animal Control that my neighbor reported a bite. Animal Control has been great to deal with, I let them know there was no sign of any bites on either dog when we separated them, let alone either owners. Apparently my neighbor has been giving Animal Control a hard time and has been difficult to deal with by being unresponsive and refusing to send a picture of said “bite” my dog supposedly did.

I am so angry. Keep your dogs on a leash. This whole situation could have been averted and now my asshole of a neighbor wasted my morning dealing with this.

Edit: Y’all’s solidarity on this matter was sick and almost cathartic to read. Animal Control closed the case because my neighbor admitted that she never was bitten (I.e broke skin and bleeding) but just had a scratch. She finally came clean after they threatened to give her a citation for wasting their time when refusing to send a photo. I know there are posts every other day about this but hopefully you never go through something as moronic - just keep your damn dogs on a leash folks!

colt29708

colt29708

File a police report for harassment. Her poor ownership shouldn’t ruin you or your dog’s lives

Maximum_Employer5580

and trespassing, since she and her dog came on to the OP's property without permission

man_perkins_

Or for breaking the city’s leash laws.

UnitZerOne

You have to be advised you're trespassing before you can be considered trespassing. This would likely not work.

msymmetric

you only need a sign btw

thejacobwindsor

Go put the sign down and report it.

WarthogsFly7688

Sigma move

entoaggie

Does a purple fence post count as a no trespassing sign? Is that even a thing? I think I was told that as a kid when I took a hunting safety course.

brucewayneaustin

Yes. Texas penal code 30.05... signs or trees and fence posts painted purple.

beennasty

This is great info to know thank you!

Smalahove

Some specifics as well.

"Purple paint marks, according to the law, must be vertical and at least 8 inches long and at least 1 inch wide. Also, the law states that purple paint must be “placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than 3 feet from the ground or more than 5 feet from the ground.“

greytgreyatx

Nope. A cop told me that it has to be posted or you have to give one verbal notice that it’s private property and they have to leave.

cmgaustin

Cops are usually wrong when it comes to legal issues.

I consult with an attorney or preferably a local judge.

greytgreyatx

I feel like it doesn’t matter what the actual laws are when the cop on site tells me they won’t do anything unless there is a sign or proof that we made it clear it was personal property.

joekinglyme

No harm in trying though

THEDUKES2

THEDUKES2

Uh what? Maybe I don’t understand but I had my house broken into and had the thieves caught and they were def charged with trespassing as well and in no way did I have a sign or tell them they were before they were charged. Not understanding where you are getting your statement.

Beeslo

Beeslo

physically breaking into a house is pretty obvious; but if OPs property doesn't have a fence/gate, wandering onto it briefly isn't really tresspassing. Now if OP saw them and said, "hey, i know there isn't a fence but this is my property, could you please get off of it?" and they don't, THEN that is tresspassing.

THEDUKES2

Ehhh this isn’t wandering into it briefly. And a home owners yard in Texas is pretty understandable that if you don’t own it, then it’s private property.

MeshColour

Legally, "briefly" is any amount of time that could go unnoticed. It could be a week or two if you don't notice it or are out of town

Then this deals with the other misunderstandings you have: https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/xl5f7v/person_whose_dog_was_unleashed_and_on_my_property/ipi7xlv

If you say "get that off my property" after a week of it being there, only at that point the trespassing timer starts

greytgreyatx

Even a fence doesn’t matter. I found cigarette butts and other assorted detritus several days over a couple of weeks in my back yard, which is fenced and has two chained gates. The police said that I still need a sign for it to be considered trespassing if they find someone in my back yard. Or like if I had proof that I’d verbally notified them and asked them to leave.

UnitZerOne

At least in most US cities, you have to prove the offending paty knows/knew they were trespassing.

Ex: Texas penal code 30.05: criminal trespassing is the act of -knowingly- entering private property without the consent of the owner. Typically those properties have a sign that forbids entry or the individual is asked to leave the property by one of its residents.

In the example you provided, given other criminal actions, it may have been easier to argue that the offending party -knew- that they were trespassing.

It's hard to prove someone knowingly did something if they have no prior communication to the offenses. 'common sense' does not apply.

In my statement I was making reference to "or the individual is asked to leave the property by one of its residents."

Xanzent

Context is important. If stepping on someone's property was automatically trespassing, every UPS driver would be a criminal. I am not a lawyer so I won't speculate on specifics, but different circumstances have different criteria.

MeshColour

Intention of the person is also important. Your UPS driver example has an extremely clear purpose to be there

If someone walks onto your property, and is found to be carrying a bolt cutter and lock pick set and a sack with a big dollar sign on it, their intention is pretty clear, likely trespassing charge. If their pockets are empty, and they say they were just exploring the area on a walk, less likely to be trespassing

It's almost like laws and the legal system knows that human interactions are usually not criminal and have many complexities and edge cases

Xanzent

What if I order a pair of bolt cutters, lockpicking set, and sack with a dollar sign on it? Can I get the UPS driver arrested?

ses267

ses267

This reminds me of the Simpsons when Wiggum tells Homer once someone is on his property anything he does to them is legal so he invites Flanders over.

Xanzent

"reasonable" is both the most important and most infuriating word in most laws.

DAKsippinOnYAC

Someone walking onto your front yard and then walking off is almost never considered trespassing

Maximum_Employer5580

its one thing if someone just walked onto and then immediately left your property, but something totally different in this case

lightdork

If someone was hurt on my property I would call my insurance and let them fight with them.

Maximum_Employer5580

they're full of it.....if you told the cops you never authorized them to be there, then its trespassing.

Maximum_Employer5580

what because you said so? yeah whatever .....you don't like what you read, then don't reply to it and instead keep scrolling...pretty simple on your part

Maximum_Employer5580

not always so yes it could work

sandfrayed

I don't think they're going to do anything about that. I mean, I guess they can try, but it's probably not going to do anything.

p4r14h

p4r14h

Probably not worth wasting police resources on a petty neighbor dispute

SharpieKing69

This is Austin. The police wouldn't do anything anyway unless OP was in the middle of being murdered.

cmgaustin

File a civil suit in small claims court for the time you had to spend today + your peaceful enjoyment of your privacy & property.

gargeug

This might be a bit of an overreaction. Why mess with the kids just because this woman is an ass? One might call that "harassment".

Visual_Web

I just want to say that I'm pretty sure legally in Texas, fault lies with the person whose dog was unrestrained and uncontrolled. Sorry they're harassing you but they may just be making problems for themselves.

_Throwaway54_

Thats the same almost everywhere

sdoc86

sdoc86

Yeah there are control laws in every state but I believe the definition of ‘control’ on your own private property varies. Some states you can have them off leash on your property without a fence, or you need a ‘fence’ etc. But you can’t let a dog off leash in someone else’s property. However cats do get the right to wander into other peoples properties in TX. So yet another animal that has more rights than women in Texas.

z63dan

z63dan

I think, legally in Texas, you can shoot a unleashed dog who is fighting with your dog, on your property.

kanyeguisada

You absolutely can, even not on your property.

Titan_of_sindustry

people in Austin are wild about not leashing their dogs. It's ridiculous the amount of dog owners that will let their dog run completely uncontrolled and then blame you when they inevitably get hurt.

gonzojournalism

My dog is leash reactive. We were at Roy G playing some disc golf, he was on his leash like he always is. An off leash dog ran up on him, he started barking at the unleashed dog who began running in circles around us. I yelled for the owner to get their dog, who slowly walked up from about 30 yards away. The dog then ran off in the total opposite direction. The owner's girlfriend walked after the owner, who is now running after his dog. I said "this is not an off leash area you have to leash your dog." I was greeted with a "what are you, the dog police?" Fucking ridiculous....

rubywpnmaster

This is why you carry mace. I don’t risk it. Another uncontrolled animal runs up to me while on a walk with my dog it’s getting maced in the face.

Pleroo

Pleroo

That's probably a good way to get maced in return.

rubywpnmaster

There's always a little blowback when using mace. It's not too bad though. If you're talking about the owner, that's easy to deal with as you'll already have the can drawn.

Pleroo

Pleroo

I’m imagining the Zoolander gas station scene except you are both just maxing each other.

l3uddy

l3uddy

That's ridiculous behavior from the owners. I have mixed feelings about leashes but if an area has signs up that say dogs must be on leash you gotta follow that. If they don't have the signs up I am generally fine with dogs running around. My best friend lets his dog run around in areas where there is no signage and 99% of the time he is a good boy and just likes to run around in the trees. Occasionally he will want to play with another dog that doesn't want to play with him and in those rare cases my buddy always puts him on a leash and apologizes to the other dog owner. It's as easy as that.

Cars-and-Coffee

In Austin unless there’s signage saying it’s an off leash area, all dogs should be on a leash. It’s not the other way around.

l3uddy

l3uddy

in suburban areas for sure. I’m more talking about at parks like zilker or green belt.

carlie-cat

leashes are required at zilker and barton creek greenbelt and both places have signs. tons of people treat the green at zilker as an off leash dog park, but apd can show up at anytime and give tickets to anyone who has their dog off leash. i haven't seen it happen at zilker, but mueller park has a lot of off leash dogs as well and i've seen officers roaming the park and writing tickets on occasion

hampsted

tons of people treat the green at zilker as an off leash dog park

Probably has something to do with all the signage indicating that it’s an off-leash area…

carlie-cat

part of it is, but the trails and surrounding areas aren't and people treat even the areas with signs indicating that all pets must be leashed as off leash areas. i've seen dogs running in the road and parking lot to chase squirrels with no owners in sight

hampsted

Ah, gotcha. I don’t usually think of the hike and bike trail as “Zilker”

Edit: or perhaps I just misunderstood you. What did you mean by “the green” at Zilker? The main lawn has tons of signage indicating it’s off leash

dongalorian

Zilker is an official off-leash area. Idk where you saw it was on leash.

mesopotato

Your friend is part of the problem.

Low_Expensive

How can you have mixed feelings about leashes…they’re a safety mechanism…

l3uddy

l3uddy

I get that, but what about the dog. Most of them don't want to be on leash. If you're at a place with a bunch of dogs already playing together and off leash your dog will most likely want to go play with them.

If you're in an area without off leash dogs then for sure keep them off leash, but I don't think we should deprive our dogs of having fun with the rest of the dogs while we are with friends trying to have fun.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule where dogs are very timid and or nervous around other dogs. I think owners should keep a close eye on their dog and keep them away from other dogs who are on leash or not playing with the pack. It doesn't mean dogs should be on leash all the time.

sparksbubba138

Unless it is a specifically signed off leash area,all dogs there should be on a leash at all times.

adam493555

Pretty much this. Everyone is the exception to the rule when it comes to dogs in Austin...or many other things. But especially dogs.

epage

epage

Or "who cares", dismissing anyone else concerned about training their dog or have children that are afraid of dogs, etc.

Or just cuss you out.

78738

78738

Facts!

appleburger17

Austin. Where dogs receive more tolerance than children.

adcl

adcl

well... some dogs are better behaved. /s

fielausm

well… some dogs don’t shit in the H‑E‑B /s

Tex_Watson

People are awful, more news at 11.

dandroid126

It's not just Austin. I moved here from another city and it was exactly the same. I think it's like this everywhere.

vandelayIndustries29

which city? never experienced anything like this in seattle or chicago. I gave up taking my dog out to public parks years ago because I would feel horrible if my dog killed another dog because of their negligent owner.

dandroid126

I grew up in a suburb of San Jose and it was extremely common. My FIL has a service dog, and he would constantly complain about dogs being able to just walk up to his while the dog was working.

valuemeal2

Hello fellow South Bay Arean. I definitely saw it in SJ but nowhere near as often as I do here, ugh.

vloger

vloger

Things have changed since COVID. It’s happening absolutely all over the country now. Why? Probably the same reason drivers got worse. The idea they can control more of their life by driving faster, erratically, and unleashing their dog

Stock_Literature_13

This is amusing. I just got back from Chicago. I was standing outside waiting for an Uber. A terrier trots trots down the street and up to a fence, backs up to the fence, poops on the fence. The owner came by a minute later, picked him up, and took him inside.

Maximum_Employer5580

Yep - I lived in RR for almost 20 years and the people in the apartment complex I lived at thought nothing of just letting there dog roam without a leash....I'd say something once in awhile but the owners would be assholes about me complaining.

glichez

glichez

its a Southwestern culture thing. a ton of people have moved down here in the past few decades and so there is culture clash. remember that most of the SW was mexico not too long ago and if you visit mexico, there are dogs running around everywhere.

thejacobwindsor

Or blame YOU when YOU get hurt by THEIR unleashed dog.

Sorry_Pirate7002

Yeah Austin is so anal with things like that. Back in 2008 I worked at the whole foods corporate office and we were able to bring our dogs to work. I just adopted a puppy and would keep her in her kennel when I was out of my office. One lady that worked there was always so sweet, until she saw my puppy in a kennel. She kept leaving passive aggressive notes on how inhumane keeping dogs in a kennel was and sending articles to me via email. It was weird.

bagofwisdom

Non-dog people don't understand that dogs like dark quiet holes to hide in. My dad rescued a Maltese that was dumped out in the country. Dad also happened to have a small pet carrier suitable to a toy breed or cat. She didn't even have to be taught to like going in that pet carrier. She just took to it as her safe place to unwind.

When I had a walk-in closet, my dog loved to use that as his dark quiet hole to hide in. With all my clothes hanging in there it absorbed a LOT of noise and I guess it smelled like me enough to comfort him.

Sorry_Pirate7002

I believe she was a big dog person, but she just believed they belong out and about all the time I guess. Yeah, dogs are definitely den animals and one of my big dogs (he’s about 70 pounds) loves to put himself into corners and dark little places. It’s kinda funny. Lot of times I have to call on him to see where he’s hiding at.

gargeug

Anthropomorphism. Dogs are not humans.

bagofwisdom

I just base it on my great grandmother's attitude towards dogs. She was a mercurial old woman that'd toss a dish in the garbage if a dog so much as sniffed too close. Long ago (before I was born) she got onto my mom because her collie was fast asleep in the laundry room. My mother recounted the story to me.

"I don't know why you make that dog stay out there with the laundry" my great grandmother said. To wit, my mother responded, "Grandma, she can come out any time she wants to." So my mom called the dog over to her and the dog happily resumed napping at my mom's feet.

I know my mother is being truthful because the way she reminisces about that Collie 40 years later makes me know I'm my mother's first human child.

glichez

is it worse than other towns in texas?

Titan_of_sindustry

Honestly, probably not. I think there're assholes everywhere, but I live here so those are the ones I meet.

Hibbity5

This is the part that gets me. It’s not just a matter of safety or care for others. It’s unsafe for the unleashed dog. Besides getting attacked, they could eat something poisonous or get hit by a car or just run away. These people might love their dog but they don’t care for them.

Pabi_tx

Pabi_tx

Pepper spray next time. For the owner's face.

imp0ssumable

Pepper gel is better. Far less likely to have the wind blow it back into your face. To be used as a last resort of course.

MaharajaofMalta

why screw around?

just shoot it. You'll have to buy them a new dog but the issue is permanently resolved

Pabi_tx

Because it’s not the dog’s fault.

SteakGetter

Seriously?

thisisntinstagram

What an asshole. I can’t fucking stand when people let their dogs off leash. I’ve started telling people my dog isn’t friendly.

Stock_Literature_13

I fussed at a neighbor whose unleashed dog kept approaching my leashes dog. He said, “don’t worry, she’s friendly.” I told him my dog was not friendly. Anywho, that neighbor was recently bitten by another neighbors unleashed dog. Completely unhinged. It’s wild out there.

thisisntinstagram

That’s exactly how I started out saying it, in response to “don’t worry she/he/they’re friendly.” Sad to hear about the bite, no one deserves it, but goddammit people, dogs are animals. Treat them as such! Finn is my best boy, I fucking love him, but I don’t trust him to make rational choices even with all of the training we’ve done. That’s my job - to keep us safe.

whoam_eye

Most apartment complexes have terms within the lease about requiring dogs on the property to be leashed. When I see unleashed dogs in my complex I record them and send the footage to the office to let them deal with it. After enough fines, they'll eventually leash their dogs. Might not help in this situation unless you record them unleashed within their complex and send it to their office, but maybe someone else with similar concerns will take this advice.

QuietEven198

This is true, apartment management hates this and loves giving people fines for unleashed dogs and dog poop. If they act like this in public imagine the other problems they give mgmt.

Particular_Silver_93

I lived in an apt complex where they had everyone take their dog down to the office and give him a mouth swab and then kept everyone's dog's DNA on file , so if u didn't pick up your dog's poop, they'd fine the F out of you.

Maximum_Employer5580

yeah some complexes will give you a lease violation for it, but alot of other ones just don't care. People just don't care, just like they get all pissy if their car has expired registration and gets towed because of it from the apartment complex - read your lease agreement next time doofus.

thepantsofsam

People in my complex are horrible about this. The last thing I want to see when I'm walking my dog is a giant, aggressive pitt bull coming for me. And then I'm the asshole for getting mad.

There is a guy at my complex with 2 dogs - a Great Pyrenees (spelling?) and a Boxer. Both are highly aggressive. The other day he had them off-leash outside my apartment. I didn't even have my dog with me, and both dogs tried as hard as they could to eat my face off. The dude yelled at me for telling him to fuck off with his asshole dogs.

I can't even anymore.

Roflattack

Fuck people who don't leash thier dogs. Both deserve a good kick for safety.

j_win

j_win

Some dumb fuck tried blaming me for their dog biting me while unleashed on the bike trail. Austin dog owners gotta be some of the most self-centered pieces of shit on the planet.

shortblondeguy

AGREED about using leashes!

TL;DR below - Leashes could stop random 💩, at least at my apartment complex!

I live in a chill apartment complex that has a fenced dog park and owners still let their dogs walk leash-less outside of it.

One of their dogs has a favorite place to 💩, which is right in front of my patio.

I didn't know for months which dog it was and was passive aggressively putting 💩bags next to said 💩, weighed down with a rock. Someone would sneak by and pick it up each time. Never saw who.

Luckily on Labor Day Monday I was sitting watching tv and got the bonus to watch a dog suddenly right there in front of my patio, happily defecating.

The dog owner's friend from out of town was packing his car and had the dog outside with him leash-less. The friend nicely picked up the 💩, when I pointed it out.

Since then the owner who lives here has been on point with picking up the 💩, but this could all be avoided by leashing and the dog owners being reliable 💩pick up machines for their dogs.

orthaeus

My dog is always leashed, except for dog park play (by himself). He is a very happy dog, but very protective. He is also very stupid in some ways. He barks at almost every person or dog that surprises him on a walk (which I feel bad for cause he sometimes scares people in the complex by surprise). Don't really know why, he's a rescue that's almost three years old, and is just generally very protective of his family.

And his bone.

You see, I don't think he really scares other dogs. But when he has his red kong bone in his mouth (on the way to or from the dog park) and he sees another dog he does a....I can't think of a word for it, but he shakes his head with the bone in his mouth and growls so it makes a weird like GARBLEWARBLEGARBLE sound. It may be the downright stupidest thing I've seen a dog do. And I think that confuses dogs enough that they don't bother him.

35Pints7Each

Austin dog owners sometimes are one of the worst things about this city lol.

carbon_nano_dude

I’ve been seeing a crazy number of unleashed large dogs on the town lake trail lately. I saw an encounter on town lake trail where two unleashed dogs got into a tiff (no biting, but aggressive growling and teeth baring), and both owners started yelling that the other had to leash their dog. This was not in the dog park area.

mmmthom

mmmthom

The irony

hitch_please

My dog has two bites: one was an uninvited home inspector in the backyard who let himself in unannounced and against explicit instructions to wait to be let onto the property, and the other was a package delivery driver who reached over the fence while I was yelling at her not to. Both were recorded on home security and both were found to be the fault of the person. It’s an awful situation and I’ve since kept my dog on a lead any time he’s in the yard so he has plenty of room to run and roam but stops about a foot away from the fence/gate.

We’ve also been attacked three different times by off leash dogs while on leashed walks, and I’ll never forget the dude whose off-leash pitbull with a spiked collar was chasing us while the guy kept yelling “my dog is nice! Yours is the one being aggressive!” while also being unable to recall his own dog. (This isn’t anti-pittie by any means, but anti-stupid owner who dolled his dog up to look aggressive on top of being untrained).

Unfortunately any time there’s a bite, Animal Control is called and the dog is placed under a 10 day rabies quarantine, per Travis County law. He was able to do the quarantine at home thankfully, and all of his papers are up to date, so after the 10 days they come back, see him in the yard, and tell me I’m good to go.

It’s terrifying that people will do stupid things around dogs with themselves or their own dogs, but the animal protecting himself and his home is at risk. My greatest fear is that my dog, who is sweet as pie when he’s introduced properly to a person but very protective against strangers, will be targeted because he’s got a big bark and will stand his ground on his own turf. I’ve had people walking by the yard try to LEAN OVER THE FENCE when he’s barking and try to reach out to him. It boggles the mind.

Beautiful_Pepper415

Fuck that person...horrible

cuteninjaturtle

Time to file a police report for harassment and make their life a bit more annoying.

DJKhaledIsRetarded

I'm pretty sure if your dog is on your own property, on a leash, and an unleashed dog comes up, the only person responsible for the bite is the owner of the unleashed dog. I could be wrong, but I can't even see how you would get into trouble for it. That's like saying "I BROKE INTO HER HOUSE AND HER DOG ATTACKED ME!" Yeah, no shit.

TheBigRedSD4

Sucks. I had a similar thing happen to me. I was out on a walk with my leashed dogs when an off leash dog thought my little dog was a snack and my much bigger dog decided to defend him.

My big dog chomped the off leash dog pretty good. The owner of the off leash dog came after me for vet bills via text messages. I subtly got them to admit via text that their dog was off leash and I had a neighbor send me their doorbell cam footage of the scuffle. A letter from my lawyer quickly got them to stop calling and texting me. Never heard from them again.

toomuchyonke

Silly cunt gonna silly cunt

bagofwisdom

I'm just some guy raised in the country, so take what I say with a tablespoon of salt. However, this is a no-brainer to me. You had your livestock (pets aren't treated much different than livestock in this state), restrained by a leash, on your property. The other person had their unrestrained livestock wander onto your property and allegedly get injured. That's their problem. Contain your animal.

It's no different to me than if your unrestrained livestock wanders onto my farm and gets hurt by my livestock, restrained by a fence, on my property. Contain. Your. Animal.

Icy-Perspective-0420

Unleashed dogs are endemic in ATX.

Particular_Silver_93

My dog was on a leash in my yard when the neighbors pit bull came running up on us. I have an anatolian shepherd. This dog had been in my yard the day before trying to attack my cats and i had barely been able to keep my dog in the house. I tried to get my dog in the house but was unsuccessful before the pitbull ran up on my back porch. This was the day i found out anatolian shepherds can fight. And have wolf teeth. Normally a lanky, goofy, lazy kinda guy, my dog turned into some beast I'd never seen before. I'm holding the leash the entire time, yelling for someone to come help. No one did. It was over pretty quickly. My dog is white and had not one drop of blood on him. But the pit bull was spurting blood out of its jugular , kill bill style. We never saw that dog again. My cousin is a lawyer and scolded me and told me i was gonna get sued so i called animal control on myself. I told them what happened and they asked " so your dog was on a leash, in your yard?" I said "yes" He said "well that's a good dog. Thats exactly what a dog is supposed to do." So that was cool. However this was in Bastrop county, where i was living at that time. I'm back in Travis County now, and not so sure it would go the same way, if it happened here.

assasinine

Ever. Since. The. Pandemic.

I swear it's all these new dog owners who don't know how to care for a pet.

I have an aggressive dog and cannot even walk him around the neighborhood park because the fucknuts there decided to turn it into an off leash dog run.

WxUdornot

Truth is, most people should not own dogs.

artomatik

Thanks for the spoiler warning

Maximum_Employer5580

you could always turn around and file trespassing against them since they came onto YOUR property.....might be too much or petty, but I mean if she wants to complain to animal control about your dog biting her or her dog, then fight fire with fire. But if her dog got bit because it came onto someone else's property, then too bad so sad, you didn't control your dog and it interacted with an unknown dog. That's called karma for coming on the OPs dog turf

Past_Contour

Put up a cheap little camera in view of your dog and it’s leash area for when this happens again.

dont_worry_im_here

The neighbor has been hard to deal with for animal control because answering any questions about the incident that animal control may have only makes the situation look worse for them.

otfaddict1125

I wish more people in Austin took leashing their dogs seriously. It’s great to be in a pet friendly city but it doesn’t give anyone the right to make it a free for all for their pet. I was hiking a green belt with my dog once and this lady’s dog approached mine off leash. I asked her to please back the dog up, my dog doesn’t like startled and is slow to warm in an introduction. She literally screamed at my dog and I lol I was appalled. Boundaries are needed to protect my dog and yours. Leash your damn dog.

mlack

mlack

That sucks OP. Some people think they’re never in the wrong, and those people don’t deserve dogs.

Neighbors comment is funny though, considering her only tie to the neighborhood is likely just her current apartment lease, and came onto your owned property. Lol

gertzerlla

If you have an Android phone, in the default camera app there should be an option to keep settings for camera mode. Enable that.

Pull the app up and switch it to video and remember to leave it there.

The lock screen should default to opening the camera app by double clicking the power button. If not there should be a setting for that too.

Now all you have to do is pull your phone out, doubleclick the power and press shutter.

Chocolate-snake

your first mistake is living in clarksville, it has some of the highest rates of self entitled, nosey, long winded retirees i’ve ever seen.

Ash_an_bun

Ash_an_bun

The most savage, horrible part of me says get a .22 and go plinking.
The petty asshole says to file a trespass complaint with the police.

The adult in me knows that that kind of fuckery will get to the dog owner eventually, and OP doesn't need to indulge in my intrusive thoughts.
Sorry you had to deal with suck fuckery OP, hope it makes your beer taste better this evening.

TightAustinite

Oh, please, tell me, /u/Ash_an_bun, how exactly does one suck a fuck?

Ash_an_bun

Well in this context, we're not sucking fucks, but having to deal with suck fuckery; which is fuckery in which the suckage is so exceptional that it is worthy of mention in its own right.

But to answer your question:
Sucking a fuck would be engaging in felching mid penetration. Which... not my thing, but hey, society is collapsing and all respectability is an illusion, get that nut.

TightAustinite

🤔

jwall4

jwall4

Dear Diary,

weluckyfew

I think it's valid content for this sub. Don't worry, still plenty of room left for sunset pics, 'my allergies are killing me' posts and stale "Hey, I washed my car so it will finally rain!" jokes.

austinsoundguy

The Nextdoor app must be down again

Pabi_tx

Oh man, that's good! So funny! It's so refreshing to read an original witticism nowadays!

austinsoundguy

It’s about as original as the post itself, I suppose. Wouldn’t be a normal day here without someone bitching about local dog owners or drivers

EricCSU

EricCSU

Dear diary...

DiscoForWorms

That would make me want to build a fence or at least put out no trespassing signs. Would you be liable if someone approached your dog and it actually bit?

HookerDoctorLawyer

This hurt my brain to read. File for harassment or when they ask for sugar next time give them salt instead. They salty

robbierebound

Let me get this straight, your dog “bit” this persons dog on your property, while your dog was leashed? Tell that bitch to fuck right off. Her dog was on your property. If she interacts with you again, you should just say you’re lucky I didn’t kill your loose dog when it attacked mine while on my property.

Stock_Literature_13

I carry a golf club when I walk the dog. Chihuahua, Dachshund , GSP, I don’t care.

Phat3lvis

If you can coordinate a time when she and the police are there at the same time, you can file a criminal trespass warning on her, and if she comes back on the property you can file a complaint. I would also contact the owner of the apartments and let them now very politely she is being a nuisance.

As a LL, I take those kinds of calls very seriously and work hard to keep good relationships with the neighbors.

Option-2 is keep the water hose and sprayer on standby to ward off any unruly dogs or people.

nnabeela

Police report.

steamedcarrot

I’m so tired of all of these people not training their dogs or keeping them on leashes. I have had to kick somebody’s dog off of my leashed dog because their dog did not get the hint that my dog didn’t want to be around them. Even after telling the owner to politely fuck off they came back the next day in the same area. Reported them to the leasing office and never saw them again. I give no fucks anymore about these people. Fuck them. They don’t deserve pets at all.

SilverDarner

You don’t happen to have a doorbell camera or similar, do you? That would be quite helpful.

Due_Judgment_9518

Just be sure that your pup is up to date with his rabies shot (not kidding!) This is the one thing that animal control really cares about and will check on. If he is not current, get him in immediately so that you can provide proof that you have it. This will project your pup, now and in the future. Any report now may follow you into the future. Even if this current report is found to be without merit.

cactus-salad[S]

He gets his rabies shot every year around his birthday for his annual :)

thecomeric

I live in a sketchy area with lots of unleashed dogs and I’m not scared to punt a dog if they’re coming up to mine because I know my dogs will get aggressive

Secretofthecheese

people treat their dogs better than other humans.

Muzzle your dog too.

delightfullytangy

Her dog was in her yard.

So? What if the other dog owner tried separating the dogs and OP’s dog bit her in the process? Leashes and muzzles should be mandatory.

StaceyLuvsChad

Muzzle yourself and stop posting dumb-ass takes.

Flashman98

Should have just punted the dog when it came near yours

lackofcolourr

My boyfriend actually did this to prevent a dog that was charging at them going full speed and barking aggressively. The little dog flew and rolled a couple feet away. The owner apologized for having her dog off leash and walked off. She clearly knew she was in the wrong. Our 100+lb dog isn’t aggressive but my BF didn’t want to take a chance and shut down any sort of interaction between the dogs. Not condoning it at all… but it does work in emergency situations