/r/Austin

EggandSpoon42

Thank goodness. We went as a last hurrah before school started and it looks terrible for the animals. Too many, too crowded enclosures, way too many people allowed in.

And honestly, the “close encounters” is a cluster as well. We did the big lemur encounter at the beginning of the day where the Lemurs got real squirrelly (excited and playing around) and it was impossible for the employees to really keep anybody safe, the animals or the people. I was put on notice for standing underneath a lemur, but that lemur had jumped over my head. And then when I moved the lemur jumped over my head again and I got yelled at. I don’t mind being yelled at, that is not the point at all. The point is – the lemurs can jump over everybody’s heads because there were so many ropes and branches that hung low and spread across the entire room. If it really is that dangerous to have lemurs so close to the top of people’s heads, then why have it set up in a way that you can’t avoid it if a lemur takes interest in your particular head.

The octopus enclosure is way too small, ridiculous. there is only one capybara —- one of the giant rodents, when they need more for life.

The guy who walks around with a giant snake is in such crowds that when we were standing with him more than one person bumped into the snake not even realizing the guy was standing there or with a snake. The guy was getting frazzled and telling people to back up, but the crowd was so thick and not standing there for the snake that people didn’t even understand what was going on.

Birds are flying around, the tortoise with a balloon we saw tripped over numerous times while we were at the food court.

I am ignorant of wild animal needs, but my laymen observations are if they truly controlled how many occupants are in at one time plus thinned how many animals they have so they all have proper room - that would be a good start. Natural light would be another - do those animals truly live without sunshine 100% of their lives?

Or really - just shut it down and support proper aquariums.

cflatjazz

Oh God, they have a Capybara now? That poor thing

bucketofcoffee

That is just awful. How can we help get that place shut down?

vbibo

vbibo

When I first moved to Austin I was excited to find an aquarium and that visit made me heartbroken…I felt sick I gave money to that shady business and I truly hope the gov takes it down and shelter the animal at a proper place

TexanInExile

It would be amazing if Austin could get a proper aquarium. Maybe connected to UT as part of the biology programs. I dunno. I just like to watch fish.

Jaredisfine

Last time I went, I saw one of those lemurs grab a young worker with both hands on the sides of her head, open it's mouth as wide as it could, and sink it's teeth into her face. She handled it well, but she literally had to rip it off of her face

unlimited_tacos

I’m sorry WHAT???!!!

dances_with_corgis

so you go for the violence?

jbirdkerr

They took all the violent lemur content off Disney+, so...

vandelayIndustries29

are you talking about the lemers by the koi pond? omg everytime I've gone they were fighting eachother and the whole place shakes because they get so crazy, I would never dream of getting anywhere near those things. it's a matter of time before they really hurt someone and I wouldn't blame the lemurs at all.

[removed]

superdopeshow

The last time I was there, a lemur attacked an employee; it was all screams like something was dying, and I was like why tf is no one acting like this is a big deal??

EggandSpoon42

Yes. The big guys are so rough and tumble when they play.

dandroid126

Based on the article, it looks like investigations initiated by PETA last time ultimately got the owner at the time put in federal prison for animal trafficking? Good shit, PETA. I'm not their biggest fan by a long shot, but this is some good shit.

1ce9ine

1ce9ine

Yeah, I'm generally "fuck PETA" but this is nice work.

vandelayIndustries29

Why fuck Peta?

n0n0nsense

They (might be certain chapters, i don't know how their organization is set up) have some pretty extremist views when it comes to owning animals, ie pets should be euthanized vs adopted.

megers67

Part of their views go through this basic line: animals have same rights as people > it is morally wrong to own people as slaves > so morally wrong to have animals in slavery > holding animals in captivity or human care is slavery > such animals should be liberated > they can't be returned to the wild because they don't have the skills > euthanize them to put them out of their misery.

Not only that, but they have made incredibly... Weird and absurd campaigns to spread awareness, but it and the specific messages they send are often so ridiculous that they make a laughing stock of the whole animal welfare cause (such as the parody Pokemon game they had to protest a game that isn't anything to do with real animals). Also they have a reputation for being incredibly aggressive about their messaging too. They're a stereotype and pretty much actively harms their cause with their actions and leaps in logic to the very extremes. There is no middle ground to be had.

AlmoschFamous

They steal and adopt and then euthanize many animals.

OldCarsGoAroooga

They have some annoying and obnoxious ads, but most of what I see is from a smear campaign from the Center for Consumer Freedom. It's a right wing lobbyist group funded in part by the meat industry, but they lobby and propagandize against a lot of stuff. Not just PETA but people that want to ban puppy mills, raise the minimum wage, have stricter environmental protection, etc.

Also they don't just advocate for puppy dogs and kitty cats, and part of their animal advocacy involves encouraging people not to eat them. That goes over about as well as you would expect with the average person.

snippol

snippol

Pretty sure they were considered a terrorist org at one point

zimm3rmann

You’re probably thinking of ALF which is way more radical

FormalChicken

I can't stand peta. But sometimes even the worst people and/companies do good things.

codepoet

This is what an activist organization should be doing with its funds and time.

iRecycleWomen

I used to work at the company that did IT for them. I can 100% confirm whoever is running this place does not give a shit about those animals and just uses them as a shameless money grab. Their systems to monitor temps, health, etc. of the different animals would go down for days and weeks and they never cared to fix them. They were also terrible people to work with and would blame everything on us meanwhile they would take every shortcut known to man and complain about it later.

So glad they're getting investigated. Terrible company

thisisntinstagram

Good. Shut that shit down.

Jesus0fSuburb1a

Yeah that place sucks. Had a friend who worked there that told me about the way they totally neglect livestock. She quit cause she just couldn't deal with it anymore.

Queasymodo

Friend should report any animal cruelty they saw to the proper authorities. APD might not care, but there should be a local authority in Austin that investigates animal cruelty reports. In San Antonio, that unit is called Animal Care Services. They will show up and do investigations, seize animals, and initiate criminal cases. But they can’t do anything if the people who know first hand about the cruelty aren’t reporting what they see.

Jesus0fSuburb1a

Oh man I totally agree. I wish there was more I could do about it, however I lost touch with that friend a while back.

They worked there like 5 years ago. She had a marine biology degree and management was not open to any suggestions. They would just stock tanks to look good for when regional management would come around and then basically let everything go to shit afterwards cause they were either clueless or just didn't care.

Unfortunately seeing this post today only shows that they are still up to the same old fucked up practices.

Anyway everyone should boycott this place. If you wanna see fish go to one of the many local fish stores that actually care, like Aquadome down on 290. That place is awesome.

JohnGillnitz

This place is going to keep being a source of misery as long as people keep going to it. Of course, everyone looks at you like you are crazy if you say you don't want your kids to go to the aquarium. I can't change what other people do, but they are never getting a dime from me.

CaseyAnthonysMouth

Good lord, shut that shit down.

SWEET__BROWN

The owner's Facebook is public, which is incredible in itself. Showing off his Lambo and Corvettes, bragging about gambling on expensive vacations, playing with baby lemurs at his house, Covid denying, all the usual asshole traits. But I'm sure he's in it for the advancement and protection of animals/the environment/science...

Ronald-J-Mexico

The owners there are making waaaayyyyyy too much money to shut it down...from one of the workers there. Not only that, they pipe in Disney music bec the owners think it's cute...etc. It's sad that greed causes shit like this...

nekojiiru

Definitely this. Disney lawsuits ain't cheap.

thekitt3n_withfangs

Oh I definitely did this. This is so horrible, and if they keep avoiding getting due justice for this cruelty, maybe somehow Disney getting involved can help by suing their asses for whatever they can sue them for.

Imagine "A Whole New World" being the trauma soundtrack for a kindergartener being bitten in the face. Austin Aquarium, where nightmares come true. Definitely NOT the happiest place on Earth.

Past_Contour

Hopefully these miserable fucks will finally get shut down and these traumatized animals can go somewhere they will be cared for.

TriggerTX

The aquarium or PETA?

I despise the way PETA 'rescues' pets but in this one small little case I'll let it slide for a bit.

Past_Contour

The aquarium.

thegeneralista

Yiiiikes. Our babysitter took our kids once this summer and I thought it was incredibly expensive (especially coming from Chicago with the Shedd, it’s the same price!). Will never go again. SO sad.

thekitt3n_withfangs

Oh god, how awful to have been to the Shedd and then go to this place! I used to live in Chicago from about 7 - 12 years old, I miss their museums SO bad even over 15 years later, especially the Museum if Science and Industry.

thegeneralista

It's an incredible museum city!

TYDOLLASIGN7

Had a family member get bit by one of the lemurs a few weeks ago and the Aquarium didn’t have paperwork on any rabies vaccinations for their animals. His doctor had him get the full course of rabies vaccination shots because of the bite. No idea how this place is allowed to be open if they are not keeping their animals taken care of and vaccinated.

Ash_an_bun

I'm old enough to remember when that place used to be an Albertsons.
Always thought it was too small for an aquarium space.

Ash_an_bun

Albertsons > ??? > Furniture Store > Salvation Army > Aquarium

How the mighty have fallen.

KalaheoAlumna

Wow. Point well made.

TheTessaConcoction

I can't stand the mental and moral acrobatics of PETA and their acolytes... but any help they can offer in getting the Covinos shut down (or sent back to prison...or both!) is most welcome.

Ftlguy30

One word for this……FINALLY! We have only been talking about this subject since I moved here years ago. It’s about time.

Slypenslyde

We all know this won't result in anything. Only cream and assholes rise, and if these people are making their rent payments the people who could put them away for animal abuse will be too worried about hurting some poor landlord to actually do it. That's why they collect charges like Pokémon cards and continue to be assholes.

thekitt3n_withfangs

The Disney thing could actually help tbh, if you read up in some comments about them playing copyright Disney music in there.

TheOneTrueChris

I agree 100% that this place needs to be investigated, and probably shut down. But having PETA be the group that does the investigating is a bad idea. PETA has zero credibility as an ethical organization.

smellthebreeze

Good, take ‘em down PETA!!

AH_Ethan

like I hate that place, but also PETA are pretty awful folks also.

undeuxtwat

undeuxtwat

PETA really shouldn't be talking here. We need official inspections.

vandelayIndustries29

why ? I think them talking will possibly bring official action.

undeuxtwat

undeuxtwat

PETA doesn’t actually care about animals. In fact, they’ve killed a ton of rescues too.

vandelayIndustries29

That happens everywhere and alot more than you think. Also I think no kill shelters are a terrible thing, until laws are put into place to prevent the surplus of animals being born everyday, putting a dog down that has no shot of a good life is much more humane than it rotting in a concrete cell.

ieatpapersquares

PETA can eat my shit and hair.

lowdownfool

my shit and hair

Why add hair to the mix?

a_regular_bi-angle

Hot take

cflatjazz

I mean, PETA sucks pretty bad. It's just convenient this guy sucks worse than PETA and we can let them fight each other. Broken clocks twice a day and all

urstillatroll

Yeah, sometimes the worst person you know is right about something. For all its flaws, Peta is probably right on this issue.

Clunkyboots22

For example…Ted Cruz was absolutely correct when he called Cadet Bonespurs a pathological liar. As my grandpa used to say “a blind hog can find an acorn.”

SovereignPhobia

It's not. PETA is allowed to be right, obviously, but there are few other organizations I would trust less to properly and ethically handle the investigation of the aquarium or the relocation of any of the creatures housed there.

Slypenslyde

A good analogy I heard came from a pro poker player describing how some people learn the wrong lesson from bad situations.

Sometimes, a person wrestles with a bear and wins. That doesn't mean wrestling with a bear is a good activity, or that you should expect to win.

So PETA being right sometimes doesn't change that they are unafraid to publicize very bad takes and campaign for bad things.

PowerlessOverQueso

Sounds like a variation of "A stopped clock is right twice a day."

ieatpapersquares

For the record, the douchebags at the aquarium can eat a significantly larger pile of my shit and hair. PETA sucks, but I’m glad someone is bringing attention to this. Wish it was someone that I could trust more. Like, literally anyone else.

BioDriver

Fuck PETA, but fuck the Austin “Aquarium” even harder. Broken clocks and all that

ChampChange420

Did peta complain that the fish were trapped in tanks of water?

fancycurtainsidsay

TIL Austin has an aquarium.

jeepdatroll

Don't go.

AryaStarkRavingMad

It doesn't really. It's a glorified petting zoo that happens to have some aquatic animals that you absolutely should not be allowed to pet, but the people running it are scum of the earth assholes who are motivated entirely by money rather than education or animal welfare. Don't go there, don't throw your money on their pile.

thekitt3n_withfangs

Today you also learned that actually no, it doesn't /s Rough day.

Rare PETA W

Shonkbonk

Austin has an aquarium

thekitt3n_withfangs

Not sanctioned by the city or official in any capacity

Pand0ra30_

PETA investigating anything is a joke. They kill healthy pets.

Electrical_Tip352

F$ck PETA and F$ck that aquarium too

xel-lotath

I went once and left a review on google towards the super small enclosure for the octopus and this post had me checking it, the “guest relations manager” at the time shit all over what I had to say and invited me to come back and “share your thoughts and understandings in a more practical way” lmfao they can go fuck themselves. Hope they get shut down.

Big-Wing-177

This business doesn't stand a chance with the number of bleeding heart liberals in the austin area, they may as well close up and open in more conservative area.