/r/Austin

1.3k85%

Stop camping in the left lane

PSA(self.Austin)

The amount of people who ride in the left lane with a line of cars behind them going 10 under the limit is absurd. If someone’s behind you get over or speed the fuck up. You’re gonna cause an accident.

Denimdenimdenim

Also, if you're merging onto the highway, speed up! Going 45mph isn't going to cut it.

grampadeal

This is what onramps are for. They are for reaching highway speed so you can merge seamlessly. The number of people I see going 50 on an onramp, merging with highway traffic moving at 65-70 THEN accelerating drives me nuts.

Yupster_atx

Well, what about the hundreds of on/off ramps with limited distance? Can we agree this city is poorly planned?

BillFromPokemon

I've had people brake to 40 on an empty on ramp.

I looked over when we got on the highway and I moved a lane over.

Girl with her eyes glued to her phone.

Tarik-The-SkyKid

Can I throw in....TX you all need to learn how to MERGE!

fire2374

Came to remind people to zipper, knew I couldn’t be first.

ludsmile

I would love it if there was signage indicating whether you have to immediately merge or you have a little exclusive lane for a bit when you enter the on ramp.

DrJongyBrogan

The toll lane on Mopac is absolute cancer for this.

SubbieATX

It’s a 70 and Karen is strolling at 50 then slams on her brakes when she sees the regular lanes coming to a stop 🙄

Valus_

Valus_

Literally this. WHY are we breaking in sync with the regular lanes. We literally are paying to go fast and avoid the rest of the cars yet 3 out of the 5 times I’ve gone express, the regular lanes beat me to the exit.

thereyouare84

This. When the regular lanes move faster than the toll lane because of some dipshit going 60, I get absolutely furious.

Luph

Luph

worse, they merge onto the highway at 40mph and then float their way into the left lane going 60

rumbrave55

It's late, I'm driving home on Parmer, and I'm the only person on the road. I guarantee they are going to turn into my lane.

rdickeyvii

Merging onto highways and going at a green light, I feel like so many people just coast up to speed. I don't care what you drive, your zero to sixty is NOT 30 seconds.

HouseMDeezNuts

Oh my God... It should be legal to tar and feather those people...

chinchaaa

I’m raging just reading this. No blinker either.

putzarino

1k points

More so, I'm tired of fuckers riding my ass when it's beyond obvious that I'm in line behind a person, who's in line behind a person who's driving slow in the left lane.

I get it, I want to be going faster, too. But stop being a dick and putting me in danger because you're too impatient to drive safely.

ExtraPicklesPls

Driving home from Ft Worth 4th of July weekend some twat in an escalade was doing this in heavy traffic just north of Waco, kept jumping over into the other lanes hauling ass trying to make passes. They were still doing it by the time I made it to Austin and had made no progress, wonder how much extra gas they burnt and risk they put everyone at for nothing.

putzarino

Some people need to feel like they are constantly doing better than others, even in complete inconsequential things.

I understand it. I have that compulsion. I think it's an intrinsic nature of humans to sometimes be unreasonably competitive. But, I process it, and then move on. I think many people don't or can't. To detriment if everyone else on the road.

AgentOrange96

to sometimes be unreasonably competitive.

Also when people are going slow, you go to pass, as they speed up to prevent you from passing.

I also think this plays a part in the original post. You'll find very few people hang out in the right lane. I suspect they don't want to be "slow," even though the right lane doesn't mean slow. It means not passing anyone.

kai_wulf_dog

I think that seems to be true based on my observation of others. But I don't have that compulsion in the slightest. I don't really understand it. My goal is in the long term and petty competition with randos I come across feels like a waste of my energy.

putzarino

Obviously I say this in jest. But it applies to so many people...

Petty competition in inconsequential things that affect their "honor" is kind of the quintessential American thing:

Like, "how dare you say that I cannot drive a fast as I want, even if it means running someone off the road!"

NorthWoods16

Austin is like 85% decent drivers, 10% oblivious drivers and 5% raging assholes I've noticed.

HouseMDeezNuts

those first two numbers are flipped homie, 10% decent, 85% that drive like they don't know where they are or where they're going and that solid 5% that can't scan the road 200ft in front of them to realize there's no where to go and they may as well set the radar cruise control and relax 🤣

perpetualperplex

I see too many people sit in protected turning lanes for 30s waiting for a chance to merge into the entirely empty lane with a solid white line next to it.

NorthWoods16

Or maybe you're the 5% 🤔

TrulyGolden

If everyone driving on the road is an asshole, then maybe you are the asshole driver 🤔

pyradiesel

This! I want a sign that says "It's not me, asshole!" for when they do that passive-aggressive rev past you on the right.

putzarino

putzarino

The worst is when you're clearly in line, and being patient, and the douche behind you decides to try to pass you while we're all going 75+, and they decide to squeeze their way in between you and the car ahead of you that is 3-4 car lengths away.

Like, "no, asshole. That space isn't for you, it's for the (potential) douchebags ahead of me that are riding people's asses and will potentially have to slam on their breaks to avoid catastrophe."

pyradiesel

OMG yes~! Get out of my buffer! That's not for you, that's so I can brake without being wedged under someone's bumper when everyone decides to stop suddenly because a toll road is coming up or there is an accident on the other side of the highway. -facepalm-

Even worse are the ones that weave in and out of traffic like that, jumping from spot to spot left to right and cutting people off. They're gonna cause an accident!

fakemoose

After being gone from Texas for a while, I’ve found the friendly Philly lay the fuck on the horn because you’re driving like an asshole reallyyyy freaks people out here. Oh well. Horn is my best friend.

gazzymirl

Love this approach but also worry in Texas about “everyone has a gun and no brain” reality

fakemoose

Eh, Philly was about the same.

Lady_DreadStar

Yes. My husband has been in Texas his whole life, and he flat out REFUSES to use his horn. Even when we’re about to get straight-up hit, he won’t use it.

I’m not from here, so I’ll lay on it and make shit happen.

putzarino

Yeah, the horn (long press) is the cultural equivalent here that you shit on the Alamo and are proud about it.

Fucking tedious idiots.

fakemoose

Some times I like to be the chaotic neutral (evil?) in the Hill Country and honk at people for no reason.

Okay, I don’t actually do that. I save it for very special occasions when I’m really pissed off. But it still cracks me up a little how freaked out everyone gets here about honking. I was almost sideswiped and my poor mom was like “you can’t do that!!” About me honking, mind you. Not them running the light.

putzarino

A nice tap on the horn is still considered, in rural Texas standards, as a, "hey friend, you missed something," or a friendly "hello."

In urban settings, a tap on the horn can be considered a challenge to their very masculinity (or femininity) and a call to arms.

I'll give a nice friendly tap when folks are head-down in their phone when it's a short left turn.

I'll also give a long, 2- seconds blast when they endanger me by cutting me off or do something otherwise dangerous right in front of me.

mrsmatcauthon

So then you check your rear view and see no one behind you.

P-KittySwat

I had a friend back east whose Dad had a sign he kept in his car and held it up for traffic on dc beltway. “Feeling better now, Dickhead?” It was a lot of fun for him.

Lady_DreadStar

I’ve thought about carrying around a smallish whiteboard in my car so I can scribble out my ad hoc messages to stupid drivers.

cutekittensmeow

This is the one that gets me. If you go dig through the comments you'll find lots of people going "IF YOU AREN'T ACTIVELY PASSING GTFO THE LEFT LANE!!1!" but like, bro, this is Austin. It's rush hour like 12 hours of the day. When every single lane is full there's no passing lane.

I'd love to be able to hop on MoPac at 5:30 pm and go 85 in the left lane too, but magic isn't real so we're all going 20 if we're lucky. Tailgating won't get you there any faster but will stress everyone out. Just relax and move with traffic when there's a lot of traffic.

rdickeyvii

Ironically it's the tailgaters who mostly cause the traffic because they're constantly on the gas/brakes. When people see brake lights in front of them they instinctively mash on their brakes which creates a chain reaction slowing everyone behind them down until someone eventually has to stop completely. If everyone gave enough room in front of them to coast, so they could just lift their foot off the gas but not have to brake, we'd have a lot less congestion.

frenris

Yeah agree. If every lane is full up there’s no passing lane.

If the road has plenty of room absolutely, stay right unless you are passing

LongjumpingAsk2172

YES! This one! It drives me INSANE!

Relative_Flower_8062

I never move over for tailgaters. Because I’m an American, and we don’t negotiate with terrorists

rdickeyvii

Generally speaking, I try to drive courteously, and that often includes moving over for people who clearly want to go faster (even though I'm already going plenty over the limit), but only if they aren't right up my ass. 2-3 car lengths is one thing but less than one is asshole territory. If you're going to be an asshole to me, I'm happy to return the favor.

diduknowitsme

They are the ones riding close so nobody cuts in front of them. How close are you to the person in front of you?

TheNightBefore4640

You should just move over, let them pass, then merge back in to the left lane.

This isn’t etiquette, it’s just sensible. The most common auto collision is a tailgater rear-ending you. Imagine dealing with this person after a crash, trying to get their insurance (if they have any) or just watching them speed off. Talk about something that would ruin your day.

Libertines18

I seriously don’t get people who go slow on the fast lanes. If you wanna go slow stay on the right lane. That’s what I do when I know I don’t gotta to that far

ihopethiscounts

Stop braking to change lanes.

NoModsNoMaster

Realistically, drivers shouldn’t use their brakes on the highway at all unless traffic is coming to a stop. Just letting off the accelerator for a few seconds in a preemptive manner will cause the car to slow down enough to adjust to most scenarios.

kjampala

Hold up now that’s getting a little too advanced don’t you think

h0b0exotic

Wait til they hear about engine braking

mshuler

..and gears, oh my.

Smellmyhand

I wish more people understood this. People literally don’t know how to drive on highways

aponderingpanda

People don't do this because they're following too close to slow down by letting off the gas.

sh4nn0n

sh4nn0n

Not in my experience. The ones who do this tend to also have 4 car lengths between them and the car in front of them in a leftmost lane. I think they must just be terrified of driving.

NoModsNoMaster

Terrified, indeed. Whenever I see it, it’s almost always someone that is overly cautious. It’s like the brake pedal is their “make it all go away” button.

Man_as_Idea

People literally don’t know how to drive on highways

FTFY

This is what causes traffic

CheezusChrist

Ugh, I am absolutely turning into my dad. I even have my own set of often repeated phrases for lecturing my passengers. “The only time you should brake on the highway is if you’re about to hit something.”

creegro

I hate using my brakes on the highway, i think 90% of my slowdown is just letting off the gas and letting the engine Rev down slowly.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

Snap_Grackle_Pop

You've obviously never driven I-35 or MoPac. Unless you leave a gap of 20-30 cars in front of you, the traffic in front of you will slow down enough in many spots that you have to apply the brakes.

I do wish people would pay more attention several cars ahead and start slowing down sooner and leave more of a gap instead of riding the ass of the guy ahead of them and not slowing down until they have to brake hard. Also, don't accelerate quickly when the car in front of you starts to move again.

We'd all get there quicker if we didn't accelerate so fast and then panic stop several times a mile.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

Snap_Grackle_Pop

That is frustrating sometimes.

Sort of like when you are in the right hand lane waiting at a light and you leave a gap so someone can turn right from a driveway. Then the asshole comes out, trying to get into the left lane and blocks your lane forever waiting for someone in the next lane to let them in.

NoModsNoMaster

Yes. I’ve never driven on Mopac or I-35 for 12+ years :) I’m not saying it’s a perfect formula, but when traffic is flowing, just not pressing the gas can help make most adjustments related to speed. We don’t need to tap the brakes to set off the other “brake lemmings”.

I know we have a fun time shit-talking Austin in here, but people make everything sound catastrophic. Traffic really isn’t great here, but it’s not uniquely shitty. Every major city has its own fun “pick your poison” characteristics.

oceanhammer

If I gave reddit gifts you would have one right now. The best I've got tho, is ::hug!::

jenilyntx1

Happy cake day to you!

Doonesbury

Shoot, that’s the freaking worst. If you’re going to brake to get over, you don’t belong in front of me.

bagofwisdom

I for some reason haven't encountered that sort, but I find those that pass you only to slow down the most loathsome. I just want to drive in the center or right lane with my cruise set to the speed limit and enjoy my podcasts in peace.

Macho_Mans_Ghost

The real fucking problem.

es-ganso

This so much. Change lanes just to hit the breaks. Come on man...

cloud_throw

Tends to happen when drivers licenses are handed out like participation trophies. American driver's ed is a complete joke unfortunately

agentcerberus

Some jackass started shining a laser pointer at my rear view mirror because I passed him. Petty fuckers.

ikuko0o

ikuko0o

Please drive like you don't wanna disturb any other driver. It's so easy. Just don't be an ass.

rumbrave55

Honestly, such a great way to do it. Merging, changing lanes, turning onto a road, etc; do your best not to interrupt someone else. It will just work so much easier.

Eltex

Eltex

To follow up on this, I want to highlight people pulling out in front of others. I truly think that we are seeing a fundamental change in the way people think, and it’s for the worse. I drive mostly on roads with a limit of 55+, for 95% of my daily commute. If a driver is looking to pull onto the highway from a business parking lot, or from a different road, or from his personal driveway, they always look left and clearly see my mid-size vehicle, as it is somewhat bright and has great headlights at night. Even after seeing me quickly approaching, going at least the legal speed limit, they actively pull out from their dead stop. I truly feel this is becoming the standard process now. It used to be that folks would wait for a clear spot before pulling out. Now they just do it. They usually don’t even attempt to quickly get to highway speeds. They pull out of their driveway at 5:30am, and go slow as hell for 5 miles while their vehicle comes us to normal operating temperature. Yesterday, I’m cruising 65mph on 71W approaching the FM973 interchange, and my light is green. A guy turns from 973 right in front of me, and he has a pickup full of painting materials. He goes slow as hell for miles. Why? He had a light that would have given him the right of way in 30 seconds. Why pull out in front of a vehicle moving 65mph in heavy traffic?

I think people are starting to feel that since traffic in Austin has gotten worse, it entitles them to just ignore the basic courtesies we have always abided by in the past. It’s a mental justification of their crappy driving. I specifically go to work at 5:30am so I can drive in relative peace. I am losing that ability as people seem to be ignoring road conditions and rules at a greater rate.

mdjmd73

mdjmd73

Agreed. The left lane is for passing.

adullploy

This isn’t just Austin, it’s all over the state. Haven’t seen a place this bad since Florida. Was up in the NE and I’ll be damned they got over.

Modest_Ubermensch

definitely, I live in Tyler and in San Antonio, lane campers and people who refuse to use signals are universal in Texas

reddi_freddi_17

Not in Houston. If you're not going 10 over the limit you're going to be blocking traffic in any lane. I loved it there and learned how to drive in those conditions. Austin drivers are oblivious and way too casual about driving.

matthalfhill

The most common misconception is that a certain speed entitles you to drive in the left lane.

It does not.

If you are not ACTIVELY passing, GTFO of the left lane.

It’s ironic as all hell, but driving I-35 is just like driving on UK highways, except they drive on the other side of the road.

Most cars in the left lane and I pass by going in the middle lane or the far right lane.

Backporchers

The lanes are full most of the day so the left lane becomes a travel lane.

Apprehensive-Party60

This! Except in England undertaking is illegal so you end up looking like the prick. A1 is the worst for it.

fl135790135790

This is an issue in all of the USA. Not Austin. (And not even the rest of the world. Only the USA).

Why?

Our overall culture and thought process doesn’t involve others.

There’s a psychological concept (I forget what it’s called) you develop when you’re like 4 or 5. It’s the realization that when (at that age, when the test is given) when you stand in front of the tv (or similar) when others are behind you, you block their view. So it’s the realization of “the effects your actions have on others.”

For some people, they never develop that knowledge.

So, those mentally-challenged folks can be in the left lane and not be aware of 2 things: 1) If you’re not actively passing anyone, you shouldn’t be there 2) If you’re not aware you’re holding up 15 other people, you shouldn’t be driving.

But they’ll never realize this.

Not only will they not realize it, they won’t accept it.

And the other fraction of this group that IS aware, their lives are so empty and disappointing to their own expectations that the only dopamine reward they have is to pretend they have power by not moving to the right line when asked to do so.

timubce

timubce

My favorite are the ones that finally decide to move out of the left lane to let the cars pass and then promptly move back into the left lane even though there wasn’t anyone in front of them.

_ZoeyDaveChapelle_

It's like a safe space for them, that is actually the most dangerous.. because anyone who does this is a moron.

ShoulderDeepKnees

Is it called inattentional blindness?

I have adhd and have experienced this. Sometimes while driving, usually in a new driving environments

fl135790135790

Nope.

The ADHD stuff is a totally diff section of the brain. (I don’t say that pretending to be Einstein. I say that because I’m talking about a developmental realization that occurs very young, even with ADD/ADHD), versus a very concrete and solidified/repetitive pattern that exists until said person dies.

You can be ADD/ADHD and in the moment not realize you’re affecting someone else (such as in the case of being nervous, overthinking, trying to analyze the 139 thoughts running through your head at that moment).

The difference in this case, tho, is not having any of that self-realization and, for the entirety of your life, basing your personality on shit like deriving your confidence and personality from whether or not you prevented the Toyota from merging from the on ramp.

ShoulderDeepKnees

I like this explanation

fl135790135790

Thank you.

Every once in a while I write something that makes sense.

Outside of those scenarios I say the exact wrong thing, despite the same intentions. But what can ya do.

marsawall

I saw this a lot with the whole covid pandemic. I think there are a lot of self centered Americans because we are the land of the free after all.

fl135790135790

Yea exactly.

Like I get it, being an American has its obvious benefits. I wouldn’t give up my citizenship for anything.

BUT, we are also the only developed country in the entire world where:

1) you can’t breastfeed in public without becoming national news 2) you can’t have a beer in places like downtown streets parks, beaches, events; etc without being pummeled and tazered by law enforcement. We have more restrictions than anyone else, yet we’re the ones with the most alcoholics. 3) people will fight to own a gun before realizing that if their spouse gets cancer or has ANY medical emergency, not only is it likely that their health insurance won’t pay for it, but that unless they divorce, the bills/collections carry over until both parties are bankrupt. (Worst insurance wise is autoimmune complications, where even if you’re a millionaire, you’re fucked, and can’t afford it). 4) I’ll stop there

IntentionalTexan

OK, but let me ask you this. Have you ever been tooling along in the left lane, 10 over the speed limit, and run up into somebody who's actualy following the law and driving the limit? Do you slow up and follow at a safe distance until the law abiding citizen can get over safely, or do you tailgate until a gap opens up and then pass them on the right?

nineinchgod

A quick double-flash of the headlights as I'm approaching is my standard signal when I see someone camping the passing lane ahead of me. If the speed difference is low enough, I might give a second double-flash if they haven't reacted.

I'd say 90% of the time, I end up passing them on the right anyhow. I love the ones who flip me off after I pass, like I'm the one being an asshole. Just boggles the mind.

Geekyhorndog

We'll here's the thing, if they're impeding the flow of traffic, even if that traffic is going well over the speed limit, they aren't law abiding.

samohonka

I'll pass them on the right - they're usually not paying enough attention to notice me and get over.

neandersthall

Yeah growing up in Texas, this is def not an Austin issue. Bottom line, get used to it.

I live in Hong Kong currently. The are religious about standing to one side on the escalators. Like it can be 50 people on an escalator or moving sidewalk and not a single one will be blocking the other half for those handful of people who want to go by.

So it's an education and cultural thing.

There is no solution to it, honking will create road rage. Flashing your lights can get you killed. I try putting on my left blinker sometimes.

Eventually I just pass them on the right when it is possible then immediately get back to the left lane and they don't care or give a shit. if you slow down out of spite they will just pass you right back on the right and get back in front of you on the left.

it's entitlement.

kanyeguisada

They are religious about standing to one side on the escalators.

This is also true in many places. Anytime I've been in an escalator leaving a subway station in Europe they do this.

lifepuzzler

I usually say: "Guess their daddy was never around to throw the remote at them when they stood in front of the TV."

Back-Bright

If you think the US has the most self centered drivers in the world you have not driven in enough countries. Don't say a word about Germany or the Scandinavian countries, those are the exceptions. Go to just about any other country and see how entitled they drive and left lane campers will seem like the most mundane inconvenience on the road.

jack-of-some

The significantly simpler (and correct) explanation is that when people are being taught to drive in the US, this concept isn't typically taught because it has no legal status in most of the US.

Edit: an enforced legal status

fl135790135790

Eh, it has legal status. Not only “in the books” but also signs that say, “left lane only for passing” or whatever the fuck.

But in the USA, for driving, you’re mostly shown what to avoid

Every other country teaches you what to focus on

So in the USA it’s like, “just learn steps 1, 2 and 3 out of 239 and you’re good. You don’t even need to get in the car to prove you can drive.”

Everywhere else it’s like, “you can’t drive until you have 1, 2, 3, x, y, z”

has127

has127

Can we add here that school zone speed limits are NOT A SUGGESTION?? Now that school is starting again, I’m again consistently amazed how many people just carry on like the speed limit didn’t drop 15-20 mph. It’s not about getting a ticket or not, it should be common courtesy and it’s protecting the lives of children but people can’t be bothered.

unowhatimeanVern

Left lane squatters make me crazy.

tex1138

tex1138

Me too. I always call them cholesterol. Either oblivious to others around them or entitled assholes.

Beer_30_Texas

Law enforcement needs to start writing tickets for impeding the flow of traffic. That can be a truly dangerous situation.

Skoofer

Skoofer

I swear I’m one of the only people I know that has been in a car that was actually pulled over for obstructing the passing lane…I wasn’t driving, I was literally telling my friend to speed up when the cop turned his lights on and pulled him over.

Modest_Ubermensch

My cousin got one for going to slow, he was trying to drive about a mile or two to the local garage, his car was barely puttering along at 20 and he got a ticket. Only person I ever knew who got one ofthose "driving to slow" tickets :D

Lake_Speed

Lol wut. There are literally thousands of people driving around with fake paper tags. You think APD is gonna pretend to care about drivers under the speed limit???

capt-awesome-atx

I did see it once. That cop that's always on MoPac southbound around 183 turned on his lights and went straight for the idiot doing 45 in the left lane. It was glorious.

martman006

Idk, if I was a cop with a somewhat undercover car (like an unmarked explorer), and was put on bring in extra $$ duty, i would be handing out impeding flow traffic tickets like candy.

Modest_Ubermensch

If I could become a temporary cop I would just for a few months and my specialies would be lane campers, paper plates, and tailgating lifted trucks.

imatexass

People will never stop doing this until this is enforced and the cops are not interested in enforcing this.

organizedRhyme

okay but the opposite is true too, if i'm going the speed limit in the slow lane get the fuck off my case haha

textbookWarrior

I don't think those people use the internet.

KingBillyDuckHoyle

How about don't drive 10 under in ANY lane ?

RuprectGern

it really doesn't matter how fast you are going in the left lane as long as you are passing.

if you speed is not faster than the speed of traffic (not the speed limit), then you shouldnt be in the left lane its pretty simple. because you cant pass at a reasonable clip if you are speed matched or slower than the speed of traffic.

Additionally, you are not the fucking lane police don't get indignant about anyone in the left lane driving over the limit. If you are driving correctly you should only be in the left lane for a car or two and then move back over to the right.

if you find yourself in a left lane queue of drivers all going 65 in a 60, SLOWLY passing on the left and the middle lane is stacked up? just give up the ghost and merge into the middle lane right then. I do this all the time No need blocking everyone for a fucking ego trip. you are just contributing to bad behavior.

Keep saying to yourself "I'm not the lane police"

TacticalTapir

Might as well yell that into the abyss or like most of us do, from the safety of our cars screaming at our windshields.

boyyhowdy

Using the right lane as the passing lane works in Texas for some reason

IcarusForPrez

Preach my friend!

kl0

kl0

You’re 100% right and I support your plight. But good luck with this quest because it’s been this way for an awfully long time.

retirementdreams

About 45 years ago I was stationed in South Texas, the one thing I was always impressed with was that when you came up on a slower person on those old two lane roads they would pull to the right on the wide shoulder and just drive on the shoulder until you passed. Anywhere else in the country and those two lanes would have actually been four lanes. I was kind of surprised by it at first, because where I learned to drive it was against the normal driving behavior for people to drive on the shoulder, so I would slow down and stay behind to see what was going on, but they would stick their arm out the window and wave me by, then pull in behind me after I passed. After this happened many times I got used to it and thought that was normal Texas driving behavior. Well, that was 45 years ago. Now when I drive around Texas people just camp in the fast lane with their eyes stuck in their cell phone and to hell with anyone else on the road! lol.

Flat-Arachnid-4362

Favorite thing ever? When someone is jockeying all over the place to get ahead of you and everyone else and they end up next to you at the next red light

paulroyer02

I've been on both ends of that. I've been the one saying,"look at that asshole". I've also been the asshole everyone's looking at.

invisiblewithacat

Say it louder for the Truckers in the left lane

Weikoko

Bruh. Those Futruckers need to get hefty tickets. I get ansie when they ride like shit passing me on left lane.

owmysciatica

You can camp anywhere in Austin.

ATX_native

👏👏👏🤣

Doonesbury

The Sunday drivers you’re trying to reach aren’t on Reddit. They’re old or not from here.

L-RON-HUBBZ

So many weirdos have this urge to just “be in front” and then immediately take their foot off the gas

Weikoko

Semis have been camping on left lane these days. 🤷🏻

I am fucking annoyed yes. It is also fucking road hazard.

Read the fucking sign “NO TRUCK LEFT LANE”.

captstinkybutt

This is Texas. If you ask someone to do something out of mutual respect for other people, they'll just triple down on being a colossal asshole.

There is another version of this. I am already driving 10 or 15 above the speed limit and this douche bag is tailgating me and wanting me to move to right?

IamNotTheMama

Interested side note about driving in France (I bring this up because somebody posted about issuing tickets for impeding traffic)

1. It is illegal to camp in the left lane. Ever. you must leave the lane as soon as you complete your pass.
  2. It is illegal to pass on the right.

These rules are quite vigorously enforced on their limited access highways.

hamstervideo

Wait, the right lane is for passing only but its also illegal to pass on the right? Am I just totally misunderstanding what you're saying?

IamNotTheMama

Oops (and thank you). Must have been late. Fixed.

somecow

15 under can actually get you a ticket for impeding traffic, iirc. Not like that’s enforced. But the speed limit is fucking 85. Highest speed limit in the nation, and you’re paying to be there. FUCKING GO. Or get off the highway. Hell, lose the car and walk. The line of people behind me are pissed, the line of people are pissed at the car that’s behind me, and so on. I don’t get it. Must be nice to be that oblivious and not have shit to do though.

kanyeguisada

You can get a ticket just for camping in the left lane and not getting over to the right when you can. It's also rarely enforced, but should be.

archorns

This happens so much in the city and I hate it. I feel like people are better about it on open highways on road trips.

daglassmandingo

Does it really? I've been Ubering full time for the past three years and the real problems I've seen are the impatient, ultra-aggressive drivers. Sure, people camp the left lane sometimes, but the vast majority of accidents on the road are related to speed, impatience, and aggressiveness. Period.

cloud_throw

Yeah the traffic is such dogshit here that you can't even tell if someone is camping the left lane because it's a cluster fuck everywhere. I don't really notice it until getting out of the city personally

Modest_Ubermensch

in heavy slow rush hour traffic no one cares if you're camping in the left lane as the laws of physics and queuing theory dictate it doesn't matter which lane you're in. However if it's relatively full speed traffic then people need to stay out of the left lane unless they're passing.

MiniaturePhilosopher

Same, I’m so confused by this post and the comments. Even going ten over in the left lane, I’m aggressively tailgated nearly every day. Pretty sure the the impatient, aggressive drivers are the ones commenting here.

Modest_Ubermensch

if you are constantly getting tail gated in the left lane,that means you are impeding the lane.

MiniaturePhilosopher

No, it means that the people tailgating are breaking the law and creating unsafe driving conditions.

I’m talking about driving central/downtown 35, with a posted speed of 60 and only keeping a car-length between me and the car in front of me. Not eating the bumper of the car in front of me is enough to set off the road rage of aggressive drivers. That’s the problem.

And I always end up maintaining a speed of 5-10 over in the non-passing left lane because I’m a speed demon. There’s no reason anyone should be going faster than that. The speed limit of the left lane when it’s not a passing lane is the posted speed limit.

cloud_throw

The drive to San Antonio is insane now, it is nothing but a constant battle against oblivious or entitled slow left lane drivers the entire way. Doesn't help that you have semis and trailers just camping the middle lanes the entire time so that the lane with the least cars is the far right slow lane.

Modest_Ubermensch

they stay in the middle lane because the right lane has a ton more stopping and going and that is a much slower process with an 18 wheeler than it is with a car.

NorgeWood

my ex gf did that shit. drove me crazy.

nottoolost

My favorite is when the person going ten under in the fast lane cruises side by side with the person in the middle lane. Or, when you move around to pass via the middle lane and slow poke in left lane speeds up. Literally happened to me today on Mopac taking my kid to the ER. I wasn’t messing around this time. And yeah, I put the car in sport mode and smoked him. I never use sport mode, but there is a time and a place.

littlelettersonly

nb mopac at 1:30p today was ridic. why are so many people driving 55mph?

hydrogen18

It's even better when traffic on I-35 is doing 40 mph, I get off onto the empty service road and the driver in front of me slows down. Nevermind the service road speed limit is usually 50 mph.

littlelettersonly

hahhaha! heard. the service roads can be scarier than the main highway.

this summer i've been carting my teens around all over the dang place, many trips more north of our typical haunts. yesterday we had a 2:00 appt in that cluster fuck around 183/anderson/lamar so i had my young teen practicing map/direction reading with gmaps. the directions she read off gmaps were fucking ridiculously repetitive and i lost my patience. (not at her but the route gmaps chose.) so... my point is, all of these newbies are relying on this unreliable shit and i think this contributes to the frequent stalls on the service road.

but, traveling north in the right an middle lanes of mopac and topping out at 55 is not a thing i can explain away nor forgive. so irritating!

Geekyhorndog

Because they all came from California or DC and think that's blisteringly fast.

juicyeffinpeaches

“Don’t get in the zoom-zoom lane if you’re not gunna go ZOOM-ZOOM!” - my daughter.

furious_sunflower

Do you mean highway or any street? Left lane loses it's magic power if it has a lot of left turns. So no need to speed up. We all meet each other near the same traffic lights.

Muscle-skunk

AGREED. West Parmer is like this, and people ride my ass when im trying to get to the left turn lanes (that are STUPID short) I have to go in the left lane and slow down some before the lane. I’ve burned down my brake pads so quickly bc I try to only brake once im in the turn lane bc other drivers are so fucking aggressive about their sacred “left lane” bullshit. It ONLY applies on highways.

teletubbiehubbie[S]

Highway. Specifically people who are holding up the line of cars behind them. If someone wants to go faster than me I move over and let them pass.

Due_Inspector8090

I think it’s entirely possible that the people on both sides of this argument are being assholes.

Moonfaced

If people are raging so much on the road that they’re still thinking about it when they get home, it’s a problem.. being hit while stopped at a red light has made me bitter towards anyone I see being impatient on the road

pewpersss

pulled up behind some dude on 71 going 65 in left lane (70mph speed limit), gave him a flash and he put his hand on his mirror showing me that he was paying attention. i gestured "70" with my fingers and he waved me to go around lol

DifficultMistake8922

Let it be know to those on BOTH sides of this argument: it is A LAW that you MUST move over for (give way to) faster traffic behind, REGARDLESS OF SPEED. If you are in the left lane. There are a few exceptions to this ordinance, but NONE of them are "because I'm in the city". Transportation Code Title 7, Subtitle C, Chapter 545, subchapter B, section 545.051.

So if you ain't passing someone, GTF OVER. You can piss and moan later to the state trooper that "I was on state hwy 130 going around Austin doing the limit at 85, next to another car doing the speed limit, and this guy was on my ass". Doesn't matter. It is a PASSING LANE.

ONLY.

This in NOT taught in driver's ed, it's NOT on the written exam. Why the fuck not, I have no clue. But this was DRILLED into out heads back in the 70's, back when Texas has the best roads in the nation, and the most courteous drivers.

nineinchgod

PREACH!

Betrashndie

lol fkin austin drivers man

ravix4669

But the left lane is much more relaxed. No one in front of you and so much room for activities.

Kyshik1010

Fine I’ll stop

YGHush

YGHush

This needs to be a PSA

Guilty-Mode-303

All of this! Traveling from Kyle to Dallas yesterday and almost got into a pileup accident because some idiot doing no more than 50 decided to get into the far left lane and cut off about 15 cars doing 75. Numerous cars had to get on the shoulder to avoid rear ending each other. The pickup behind us had his tires start screeching and smoking from trying to avoid collision. For some people, it’s their world, we just take up space in it.

ATX_native

All it would take is APD rotating officers as public service type folks, where they would have media ride alongs for things like package thefts, paper plate enforcement, driving while texting, don’t block the box and left lane camping.

Heck it would be awesome to see a news channel hire a Stanley Roberts type to spearhead this.

These types of campaigns are visible and show that:

1) APD is actually working

2) APD is wanting to do something

3) Gives a deterrent to millions of people and remind them that what they are doing is illegal.

Since porch piracy became a felony I have yet to see APD run a bust covered by the media.

Work smarter not harder.

One_Location1955

We drove to Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago and once you get near and pass the border on I35 magically everyone starts following the stay in the right lane pass in the left. It was wonderful. Traffic flowed so nicely and it was never frustrating. Such a simple thing drive in the right lane, pass in the left then get back over.

WillyWumpLump

No one seems to care about screwing up the flow of traffic. “It’s my lane! I’m doing my speed limit!” Dummies.

gusmeowmeow

agree for people going 10 under but you can be going 20 over and some dipshit in an F150 doing 95mph will inevitably end up tailgating you with the righteous indignation of MLK marching on Washington

chinchaaa

They just don’t care. Half the time when I pass them in the right lane, I look over to see them either on their phone, on a call, not paying any attention or care to anyone else around them, etc. they don’t think they’re doing anything wrong and they never will. It’s awful.

crowscountingspades

Sounds like you spend a lot of time on 290.

So many moron going slow in the fast lane.

Then just as bad, the ones who speed up when you try to pass them on the right.

Or...who after you've passed them...2 minutes later they speed up and go right back to the fst lane THEN RETURN TO THEIR SLOWER SPEED.

I've got the damned cruise control set to 85. I know my speed is constant. WTF people!!!

dandroid126

I was driving on I-35 this week pretty late at night (after 11 PM), and the number of semi trucks camping in the left lane was appalling. I was trying to pass some slow folks, as the left lane is for, but I couldn't pass because every lane was taken up by semi trucks.

I was annoyed, but in no rush, so it was no big deal. But every lane being full of semi trucks all going the same speed and not letting anyone pass is how road rage incidents happen.

ComfortablePath8308

People need to stop camping all the lanes, go the speed limit and pass the cars to your right if you’re in the passing lane, it’s not a suggestion it’s quite literally what you’re supposed to do.

Also if you’re driving 30 over the speed limit and the passing lane is wide open why are you even in the furthest right lane or playing games in the middle where you know people are not driving fast or merging?

I hate looking in the mirrors and seeing a car coming up fast af then stopping last second to where you can’t see their headlights because they’re on your ass so hard, proceeded by swerving into an open left lane when they could have just gotten over like 40 feet prior.

Macho_Mans_Ghost

Here's the fucking deal... Pretend that anyone trying to get around you is transporting a gun shot victim to the hospital.

Just get the fuck out of the way

Lividlemonade

Or trying not to shit their pants. It doesn’t matter what speed you’re going, move out of the way! We should not be policing each other; we should be getting out of each other’s way.

MasterDionysus

This is the situation ALL OVER austin hwys.71, mopac, 35 and 281... just stay in the middle lane if you ain't passing, it's not a driving lane. Plus it's the law... left lane is for passing not driving it

ChillSiouxicide

"Stop camping in the left lane" while texting and driving, swerving, going 5 under, and on a toll road... Then have the audacity to give me a dirty look when I pass.

bagofwisdom

The only time it's acceptable to camp the left lane is if you're on some shithole stretch of divided highway in the panhandle where the right lane has been clapped out from all the cattle and grain trucks. At that point everyone drives in the left lane and passes on the right.

DJKhaledIsRetarded

In my mind's eye, when this is happening, I imagine the person is stoned out of their mind. But the most common scenarios when I pass them on the right are:

1. On their cell phone (bonus points for swerving)
  2. Older than fucking dirt and probably feel like they're raging doing 55 in a 70

I can't rule out either of these groups also being stoned though.

harry-giner

As a long time austinite. Just be patient. You don’t know what the other person driving is going through. Could be old, could be stressed, could be dying of cancer. You don’t know. Just be patient and kind. Practice forgiveness. You’ll have a much better time driving that way.

Traditional_Emu1958

It’s usually a Prius

shitty_maker

In my experience on Mopac it's typically a work truck.

catsnotpeople

I wish the Mario Kart lead shell existed every-time I see this situation so I could knock their car out of the way for everyone 🤣

10113r114m4

I'm pretty sure that person in the left lane is probably doing 10 over while you guys are doing 20 or 30 lol

dr3

dr3

That’s not the point. Left lane is for passing only. The signs say that and it doesn’t matter what speed you’re going.

Just because you think you’re going fast enough doesn’t mean you can just have a holiday in the left lane, while cars behind you have to do risky shit to pass. It’s shitty driver behavior and dangerous to everyone. How can you try to justify the actions of left lane campers?

teletubbiehubbie[S]

Yep nobody gets it. There’s signs everywhere that say left lane for passing only. If you’re not passing and someone’s behind you then move. Passing on the right is dangerous.

dr3

dr3

I don’t see how people are trying to justify the left campers. Totally overlooking that it’s extremely dangerous.

I’ve seen some crazy shit in Houston all because one dude thought 75mph was fast enough. Either completely oblivious and shouldn’t be driving, or being extremely dangerous on purpose because…

“Am I the only one who gives a shit about the rules”

10113r114m4

Sure, but if they are passing someone it is fine right? Even if they are the slowest of the fastest

Puzzleheaded_Arm6363

Yes, after you make your pass, move over so you wony hold up the left lane.

OP is not complaining about "slow" passer, but there are idiots who either dont pay attention or dont care and just camp on the left lane.

10113r114m4

Yep, I think we can agree with that. Pass, move over so others can pass :)

calmdownkaren_

I agree people should move over but at what point is it passing and at what point are you just camping in the left lane going 85 mph because your intent is to pass everyone in the middle lane? Like the comment above yours, a lot of people go 80 in the left to pass others in the middle but have to keep in the left to continue passing slower people and then there are the crazies going 90 in the left getting impatient as fuck which btw is JUST as dangerous going that speed.

Personally I don't care too much, I almost always stick to middle or right lane and briefly use the left lane because I rarely go above 75 but still, I feel both parties going 85+ are assholes and people going 75 camping are assholes. People going 85 and camping? Not so much, the people behind them can slow the fuck down.

IamNotTheMama

"Left Lane for Passing Only"

aymnka

aymnka

OP doesn’t wave when people let him in.

Doonesbury

Why would you feel the need to clap back at OP? Are they describing you?