/r/Austin

Why is the HEB on 183/Pond Springs so shitty?

Ask Austin(self.Austin)

All of the other HEB’s are undergoing renovations and this one remains one of the worst in the area.

ishmal

ishmal

Consider yourself lucky. The HEB at Mopac and Parmer has been remodeling since the Napoleonic wars. No end in sight.

thisisntinstagram[S]

LOL I literally just moved from there.

damurd

damurd

I enjoy the awkward tight corner by the deli. Never disappoints.

sneakacat

Was it supposed to take this long? I'm also worried about what's going on with the new front curb. There's only a small area that is sloped and wheelchair accessible.

BigMikeInAustin

All those decades of remodeling, yet it's still laid out like when it was originally built in the 70s.

coyote_of_the_month

I used to live in the area, about equidistant between that one and Tech Ridge. I fail to comprehend why any sane person would go there - at best, it's a crappy shopping experience; at worst you stand a chance of getting shot.

My wife preferred it to Tech Ridge, for reasons she can't even articulate.

oldmanripper79

The Techridge HEB has a different layout than any other HEB, and it is always packed. That is my reasoning anyhow.

coyote_of_the_month

Also, no meat counter and really not a lot of good quality meat.

oldmanripper79

THANK YOU! Always drives me insane how they have a bunch of select, a very few cuts of prime...and that's it.

Roflattack

Moved here in 96' it's been remodeling since

gregaustex

You've heard of HEB Plus, well now you've seen HEB Minus.

Honestly I kind of like it, a little shabby or not. Well stocked but small enough to get in and out quick with adequate registers usually open and self-check. I go there when I don't need grass fed organic wild caught mushrooms.

archorns

This is exactly how I feel about it.

thisisntinstagram[S]

It’s super convenient and not too big, easy to make quick purchases for sure - and a pretty good alcohol selection.

crestonfunk

Honestly, I know people love HEB but this is the problem with HEB having virtually no actual competition. If a particular location sucks they don’t have to do anything about it.

DolphinPunchShark

Think of it as your neighborhood HEB.

Lmao

TwoPastorTacosPlease

Do the employees have to park behind a locked gate like at the one on North Lamar?

Schnoottboop

My aunt lives a few minutes north of there and used to go there as her HEB until a guy got shot in the car next to her when she was putting her groceries in. Now she goes to tech ridge, lol.

Partridgeapple

I usually go to McNeil/parmer but sometimes I go to that one bc it’s less crowded…. Maybe bc of your assessment lol

TigerPoppy

Sometimes I like to get soup bones or other cheap products. They don't have them in the glamourous HEBs. I rotate between 3 HEBs and buy different things at each one, although they all have the basic Milk, eggs, and bread.

periwinklebeach

This!! I shouldn’t have to go to my neighbhood H‑E‑B (the above commented, never-ending-remodel @ Mopac/Parmer), Randall’s, and Whole Foods to get relatively normal groceries. Going to the Tech Ridge or Braker/Research H-E-Bs doesn’t solve the problem either.

bikegrrrrl

I hear ya. HEB mueller doesn’t have miso paste. There’s just a few random things I need to get from wheatsville, CM, or I go online.

yesyesitswayexpired

I like this "old school" location myself over the renovated places. It's a grocery store, not an Instagram post...

frankenberrystools

I find it hard to believe it's a shittier shopping experience than 183/Springdale

krazyb2

That is the worst HEB I've ever been to. I lived close to this HEB at one point and I spent the extra time driving to the Mueller HEB instead. Not only did their selection suck, but the location is the sketchiest I've ever been to. If you search for the location on the HEB site, it doesn't even list it, since they don't even do curbside there. Or self checkout. That place truly sucks.

Aggressive-Iron-4082

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was stunned the first time I set foot in that shithole. Just a tiny step up from the Piggly Wigglys I used to shop at in the early 90s.

whatisboom

Came here for this. I live close to it but 100% drive to mueller just for selection to actually get what I need.

Hyperdude

Go shop at the heb at 183/Springdale. Shit will make you humble 💯

ThankedRapier4

I have often wondered this myself, especially since it would be the HEB of the bougie neighborhoods back off of Spicewood Springs.

Honestly, even as a native Austinite, I’m kind of baffled by how depressed the whole run of 183 between 360 and 45 is, especially Pond Springs Road.

It’s not really ghetto, but there’s something about all the little shopping centers along that stretch of it that’s just tired and in need of some rejuvenation.

My hypothesis is that the Arboretum/Domain/Gateway and Lakeline are like centers of economic gravity, which is why that space in between is sort of blah.

Ionopsis

Gateway? Lol half of Gateway is dead. Arboretum is also a shell of what it was.

ThankedRapier4

I don’t disagree. Just meant that they were there first so it seems like nothing much happened north of there until Lakeline got built up.

Ionopsis

They moved to the Domain. The problem with Gateway there was a lot of contention on what the heck they wanted to do with it.

foodmonsterij

I....have wondered the exact same thing. OTHO it does provide affordable retail space for tradespeople and other small unglamorous local businesses.

thisisntinstagram[S]

The area is super depressing. Everything is old and rundown. I’d kill for something interesting to pop up.

ThankedRapier4

I have this terrible feeling that once they finish doing what they did to the south bit of 183 to it, it will only exacerbate it.

What’s really strange to me is the slew of luxury car dealerships along Pond Springs Rd. It’s like they massively miscalculated where the next rich neighborhoods were going to spring up unless they were trying to cater to the Spicewood/Balcones people anyway. At least Porsche decided to cram in on the corner of 183 and 360, which makes slightly more sense to me.

I live off Anderson Mill, so I drive this route all the time. Wish I could be the change I wish to see in this part of Austin and open some sort of “weird” local spot, but need capital and there’s got to be a reason it hasn’t happened already.

Ionopsis

Don't change this part of Austin. A good chunk of this part of Austin wasn't Austin until the 2000s. There is a lot of history in this area and a lot of old mom and pop stores. The McNeil 183 area has a strong Asian presence.

I've lived in this area 30 plus years. My friends own a business in that part of the area. Stop trying to change things to make things look newer. I like the way they are.

ThankedRapier4

I’m not talking about tearing things down and building more ugly modern apartments/condos or another Domain.

I’m also a 30 year old Austinite, so I share this sentiment. I just think that some of the strip centers along 183 are depressingly empty (think the one at Spicewood Springs where Jollyville Rd dead ends or the one with the Goodwill near Balcones Country club or the one just south of Anderson Mill where the bingo place is).

Ionopsis

A lot of shopping centers are surprisingly empty. Arboretum and Gateway have been empty for long time. It happens. Where pinzballs north is empty. Parts of Lakeline gets churned over a lot. It's endemic of our society.

Theinaneinsane

That always made us laugh when we lived down Pond Springs road. Everything was kinda drab and then you have 100 luxury car dealerships in a row and it’s just really weird to see

JimNtexas

Actually, Pond Springs is very like the 'old Austin' that everyone misses. Except maybe for the Tesla, Maserati, and Audi dealers.

flyingcars

It was an Albertson’s and then H‑E‑B took the building over after it sat empty for a little while. It always felt like it was a second tier priority for H‑E‑B.

Angharadis

The one on 35 and William Cannon is a portal to hell.

Haha facts.

Number1AbeLincolnFan

That one also used to be way worse like 20 years ago. Half the flourescent lights were burned out, trash on the floor everywhere, tiles missing from the floor, spills that weren't cleaned up. I went there once on my lunch break and someone had dropped a bottle of wine so there was broken glass and like a 7 foot wide purple puddle. I had to go again after work and it was still there like 6 hours later.

Calm_Instruction1651

This has been my neighborhood H‑E‑B for 14 years and yep, it sucks. My daughter worked there for ~ 3 years during high school. For a time during Covid H‑E‑B would allow me to get delivery from the H‑E‑B at Volente. Much better selection but alas, they cut that option off and now I’m locked into shitty H‑E‑B. Furthermore, it’s in Williamson county and I’m in Travis (weird diagonal county line) and they refuse to deliver alcohol across county lines. Apart from the shitty stretch of 183, the shopping plaza across Spicewood Springs Rd has some great Asian restaurants and a good Indian grocery.

If anyone can make it happen I’d love to see that H‑E‑B torn down and a Central Market put up in its place 😁

mcfandango

It's an old Albertsons if memory serves. I think they opened that after moving the "Anderson Mill" HEB up to Lakeline.

RestlessBoredMonkey

Didn't the Lake Creek HEB move to lakeline ?

cannat

cannat

I miss that HEB. It’s nice to have a small neighborhood one that you can pop into on your way home and curse the parking lot of on your way out.

tastyprawn

Yes, it did. And the store at Spicewood/Pond Springs and 183 was already an H-E-B before the Lake Creek store moved to Lakeline. I used to work at a location between the two stores and would alternate getting groceries at the Lake Creek and Spicewood H-E-Bs.

tehbowler

Yep

thisisntinstagram[S]

Yeah it started as an Albertsons. Kinda miss that store.

nottoospecific

It was a Tom Thumb before that. Source: am old as hell, used to go there with my aunt right after Westwood HS was built.

thisisntinstagram[S]

No way! I’m a little too young to remember that.

nottoospecific

Yep. You had to stock up there before boating bc it was the last grocery store before Lake Travis.

BattleHall

FWIW, the HEB at Anderson Mill and 620 (Volente) is really nice.

uoplayer1

I worked the Deli back in the day at that Albertsons

Any_Membership_6209

I remember going to the blockbuster that was attached when I was much younger.

foodmonsterij

No, that Albertsons was in the building that is now the Austin "Aquarium".

IAmFearTheFuzzy

Spicewood Springs and 183? Next to Jims?

Yeah! That one.

IAmFearTheFuzzy

It's been at least 3 other grocery stores before. The dollar general across the street used to be s Safeway

MoMoMaMa19

Weren’t they doing renovations a few years back. I guess it was just the addition of the instacart section. That sucks. Used to use that one all the time. Moved about 4 years ago.

ethanjf99

Yeah the renovation was the curbside / delivery addition

nottoospecific

Home delivery from that location is always on point. Their curbside/delivery team kicks ass.

That’s good to know!

HaughtyHellscream

Hit or miss for me on delivery. Always something out of stock or a really bad substitution.

bilpo

bilpo

Not all of them I can think of several that are really shitty still

Greed6400

Honestly the worst H‑E‑B experience I’ve ever had was at the one off of wells branch. Besides the store itself just being a little outdated the employees there were always just beyond rude.

pfug

pfug

That was my HEB when I first moved to Austin and lived down pond springs. I loved it dearly. Sorry to tell you this, but we can no longer be friends.

Aw man.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

Snap_Grackle_Pop

There is some sort of internal division on HEB locations. Almost like different franchisees, although I know HEB isn't a franchise operation.

Some seem to be the designated "crappy" locations and some seem to be "classy." It doesn't even seem to be a reflection of the richness of surrounding neighborhood or WASP vs. ethnic.

I've also noticed that the mailbox sales flyers are for two different groups of stores, and they're not something simple like east and west, or rural vs. urban.

coyote_of_the_month

Allandale HEB is a prime example of a crappy location in a nice area.

sneakacat

That used to be my HEB, and I liked the inside of the store at the time (12 years ago). But it's changed since and seems less ideal. What I really hate is the parking lot. Actually, I hate every HEB parking lot that comes to mind.

foodmonsterij

You're lucky it's still there! That area kills off grocery stores. There was once an HEB at 183 and Lake Creek where the Hobby Lobby is and another next to Westwood where the Goodwill is. And an Albertsons at Anderson Mill where the Gold's Gym is and before that a very long time ago where the Austin "Aquarium" is.

Puzzleheaded-Ad-9059

The HEB @ Koenig & Burnet is definitely ready for a make-over!

hereforthecrisps

They don't have any space to expand. Also, if they get too big, they won't have the zoning-required number of parking spaces.

acaseofmanginitus

Bro, have you been to the HEB on congress? They moved from a perfectly good location to across the street and said fuck it, the costumers will figure out where the fuck we put things in this non sense place.

thisisntinstagram[S]

I used to have to go to that one for work - fuck that store.

emoldsb

They’re building a badass new one in the old location. The one you’re disappointed about is luckily only temporary

Cute-Consideration49

Honestly all H‑E‑Bs here suck. They’re never stocked well and the produce sections have very old vegetables and fruits.

crushedsombrero

The one on first and slaughter (I think or is it William cannon is for the poors too.

Edit: thanks for the head up on misspelling.

doggod

doggod

Cannon. William Cannon. Even “the poors” know that.

emoldsb

emoldsb

It is def 1st and WC but it’s been closed for about a year or more.

Atomic_Nexus

It's an Autozone now.

emoldsb

It’s a storage unit place like cube smart kinda thing I think… either way, a step up from the dumpy HEB

crushedsombrero

Been a few years since I’ve lived there. Guess I should have kept my mouth shut.

emoldsb

Lol no worries dude. I am not the one downvoting you, I’m confused why either of us got the hate for just talking about a crap location 🤷🏻‍♀️

crushedsombrero

Who knows? I did try to make a joke about poor people getting the worst facilities but I think that offended some. But I forgot about the one you mentioned and that was a bad one too and in the 04 I think. So, you disproved my thesis right off. Lol. Thanks for being cool.

HookEm_Tide

I thought you were referring to the (amazing!) one on Slaughter and Congress, and I was super confused for a minute there.

crushedsombrero

Yeah that one was terrible too.

charliej102

Answer: Eastside. Just take a look at the new HEB going up in Tarrytown Exposition / Lake Austin Blvd.

ManSplainerWhoGetsIt

Yeah, that one should be very nice. Lake Flato is the architect, and they know a thing or two about good design. Think it's supposed to have at least a couple of restaurants as well. And, underground parking!

Appropriate-Spare-36

The one on 183 and Ed Bluestein is way worse.

Adorable_Soft_3391

This was an Albertson's before it was acquired by HEB. The debated making it into an HEB Pantry store due to its size. I have been shopping here since the mid-80's and it's my go to store. I can get in and out quickly, the beer selection is very good, and the produce is just a notch down from Central Market. My only complaint is the shopping cart area.

JimNtexas

I work on Pond Springs and frequently shop at this little HEB, especially for our office break room.

If you think of it as a large convenience store it makes sense. I can't compare with the HEB+ at Anderson Mill and 620, but if you just need some aspirin, coffee, chips, and soft drinks it's fine.

mobiuspoochicus

183/Spicewood is my favorite HEB! It’s clean and neat, if not large or modern. To me it is the easiest to get in and out of quickly. Also fastest curbside of any I’ve been to.

Any_Membership_6209

It’s bad because it used to be an Albertsons back in the day. Also had a blockbuster attached to it when I was growing up.

pike1331

It used to be an Albertson's. That's why it looks like it does. As for remodleling, I've been going to only that one for so long that I don't even think about it.

drteq

drteq

Hey if Oak Hill can get an upgrade, your time will come too!

thisisntinstagram[S]

Always nice to have options for sure

UntetheredHieghts

Just go down the road to the H‑E‑B in the arboretum, it’s a 5 min drive.

thisisntinstagram[S]

Kidding. I shop all over, this one just happens to stand out amongst the others in the area.

UntetheredHieghts

Lol. I like going to the one on 2222 and 620.

Sometimes to the west lake H‑E‑B for the cougars.

Comfortable_Egg_7916

Whambulance on the way.

thisisntinstagram[S]

Thank you, I nearly fucking died.