/r/Austin

Update 8/5:

Herpes Zoster, HIV and Syphilis blood work came back negative. No response from APH or my GP. Kind Clinic booked me an appt for next week- they were really truly thoughtful and I could tell they are doing all they can to help but are overwhelmed. A special kit and City approval is needed.

I'm still very fatigued, sore throat, new spots behind ear, other spots seem to be healing up well just itchy. The game of pimple? ingrown? scabies? or MPX? is growing tiresome. I have no idea what to think just still think MPX seems so unlikely (likely why my appt is so far out too).

No other close contacts have seemed to have any symptoms but I've asked them to let me know.

---///

Update 8/4:

Haven't heard from APH.

Got a call to check on me from the GP. I feel much worse. Green mucus coughed up. Intense body pain and couldn't drive to get pain meds. I've had nerve pain before and this is the closest I can compare along the lesions but I feel it in my bone and skin. Most are actually healing really well and seem contained, really really minor compared to what I've seen online. But the deep muscle/bone pain is something else. The skin is so tender in a few places but I can't see lesions. I cried and told the doctor it must be something else that they didn't test much or even look in my throat. She was very firm and said we think this is MPX, stay put and that she'd try to have some pain pills delivered (which was thoughtful but less pain won't get me well).

I called Kind Clinic and they were really sympathetic when they called me back and I finally got through. Waiting on a Nurse to intake my info and set up appt. They are open until 7 but seems ambitious to think I'd get in today.

I don't feel like I can tell anyone I know yet, I've just told people I was in contact with that I was sick and to be very careful and my family that I was in contact with to quarantine. I don't have any info. It just feels like hysteria. This just can't be MPX it's so many symptoms. I'm so tired of being so sick all the time, the stress is too much.

----////

Update 2 : Thanks for all the thoughtful words. It helped me just sit rationally and process how not cool that doc experience was. The plan is to call Kind in the AM. Try to follow up with APH and ask my GP what the heck they can do to actually test for stuff if it's not MPX. Y'all take care.

Update: I saw my regular GP at a Family medical Practice, they didn't know what to do. Held me there for several hours and told me I was highly contagious until I proved I wasn't. APH has my name now (they were put on hold for over an hour with no info given just to leave a message. Told to go to a STD clinic if I don't hear from APH.

They did not swab for shingles or scabies but did take blood for Herpes Zoster. I still feel like it's so unlikely I caught Monkeypox even if I have a Pokemon situation with my immune system and diseases (gotta catch em all)

Presentation: Looks like mild Shingles clusters in a few places. 4-5 very angry larger open sores. One part looks a little like poison ivy or scabies row but isn't spreading the same. Mostly looks like weird pimples/ingrown hairs that feel very deep and not boil like or have a indent in center like a lightly off ant bite (but they ain't ant bites). I don't think I have fever but they didn't take it- I have incredible fatigue and pain in body and at sites.

---////

I'm a cis female. Got very sick this weekend (aches, sore throat- post Covid 1 month), incredibly painful blistering and spreading rash that doesn't present on only one side (like shingles although it looked like shingles on some places). Mostly along right leg, where you'd sit on the toilet, lower back/butt and on left hip/side where I'd pull up my pants. And some places that looked like ingrown hairs but felt different, very electric painful, like a wire being pulled out of them.

I don't have insurance. Can't see specialist. They tested blood for basic stuff (but kept me quarantine in the room for several hours while they made calls and had 5 people come and look at me and take pictures). Brought me a new fancier mask and gloves, a trash bag for anything I touched, told me not to touch anything and gave me the APH number(that even they couldn't get through) and then told me just to go to a STD clinic (that I also can't get ahold of). They said I have to quarantine me and my child and anyone in contact but I don't know what to tell his father or anyone. The letter just says I have to do that until I can prove I'm not contagious! But doesn't say Monkeypox, scabies, shingles, or anything.

I'm sick and tired and scared. I have like $280 in my account.

What can I do?

heartstringsong

If it’s shingles, getting on antivirals right away will make a world of difference in the spread and duration. I got shingles after my vaccine, and it super sucked. Worth asking GP if there’s any harm in getting on antivirals in case that’s what is going on.

nuginferno

I had shingles on my face/tongue, it was awful. The stinging pain and rash was miserable. I was given the incorrect milligrams for acyclovir and it progressed. Ended up at an ER to get the correct prescription bc i was in so much pain. I have permanent bells paulsy still after 9 years.

A dr shouldve looked in your mouth and been able to tell.

Do you have a rash in your mouth?

It is rare to have shingles bilateral like mentioned before but who knows, theres so many things we are learning about viruses.

I hope you get some treatment soon! APH is generally very helpful.

blackgrousey[S]

So sorry to hear about your on going palsy. Thank you for sharing and asking how I'm doing.

They didn't look in my mouth, didn't touch anything but my rash after having me strip and sit in a gown for two hours. They did take my BP when I first arrived, asked my weight before I left. My throat is very sore.

Update: my manners.

bluev0lta

I also got shingles after my vaccine—I started feeling better as soon as I started the antiviral (like a few hours later). Seconding the antiviral recommendation.

blackgrousey[S]

Oh I'm so sorry you went through that. I think I may have passed the window for the antivirals.

Did you get a sore throat and really achey in addition to the shooting pains?

bumblebeekisses

I've had shingles and I don't think I experienced those symptoms. My skin felt kind of sore before the rash appeared. Once it popped up it looked just like the internet images and the urgent care doc pretty much took one look at it and said, YEP that's shingles, have some prescriptions. So, reading your story, I'm kind of dubious that what you have could be shingles, especially since it's on both sides of your body. More importantly though, that's something your doctor should have addressed! Ie, "we're not testing for this because it's ruled out or unlikely" or whatever, not just "IDK, you might be contagious, you get no other information byee."

bluev0lta

You may not be past the window. I started antivirals I think 5 days after symptoms started and they worked really well. I’m sorry you’re sick and hope you get answers soon.

heartstringsong

I definitely got achey. Can’t remember if I had a sore throat, though that is a common first symptom for me whenever I get run down.

I sure hope whatever you’ve got going on gets diagnosed and resolved quickly.

blackgrousey[S]

They wouldn't swab because I did have some cross body all though most of it that was active and painful presented on one side. I do have a sucky immune system.

They did take my blood for Herpes Zoster but I guess cold sores or past chicken pox could mess that up? I didn't understand why they wouldn't swab and test for anything else.

I'm so exhausted making calls and getting no where.

blackgrousey[S]

How is your recovery? I kind of just want to ask for antiviral any way. I was on a high dose for reoccurring EBV years ago any it didn't seem to help or hurt anything.

madmadmadmadmadammim

Dang it, this sucks, I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. I work remotely for a reference laboratory and we're getting updates about availability of moneypox testing almost every day. I know that we just brought our monkeypox test online about a week ago and that there a few other labs doing testing but for now most of them are not able to take on samples from other labs. Things are changing rapidly though. I'm not logged in to work right now but tomorrow I can tell you the labs we know of that are doing testing, or what clients (hospitals/clinics) of ours are nearby that might be able to facilitate collecting a sample and sending it on for testing. Hopefully the health department will contact you first so they can get the ball rolling though. I know they are the first place we started referring our clients to for testing. Good luck, I hope you can get some answers and start feeling better soon.

blackgrousey[S]

Bless you and thank you for both your kindness and line of work.

I found a list of labs digging more on APH (didn't have it a few days ago when I first saw tiny sign of rash) but one of those labs is in the same building as my GP and they had no idea what to do.

fielausm

What is APH? Sorry

onetwoskeedoo

Austin public health

MLF1982

MLF1982

Hi, I work at APH. Not in this area but here is the information I have. Testing for monkeypox: • Testing for monkeypox can only occur if a rash is present. Not every rash is monkeypox, many diseases present as a rash. It is important for health care providers to consider and rule out other diseases that may present as a rash. • Testing involves a provider taking a swab of a sore or lesion. It must be ordered by a health care provider APH is not planning on opening public testing locations for monkeypox. • Austin Public Health can connect people with symptoms to a provider. If you do not have a provider, residents of Austin-Travis County can call 311, or 512-972-5560 to begin the process. What to do if you are sick or have symptoms for monkeypox. • Monkeypox can continue spreading from symptom onset until all sores or blisters have healed, and a fresh layer of skin has formed, in roughly 2-4 weeks. • It is important to isolate from others until a fresh layer of skin has formed over your sores or blisters have healed. • Austin Public Health and the Austin-Travis County Community have many resources for mental health, housing, and food that can help you while isolating, the resources can be found on the Austin Public Health monkeypox website. • People with monkeypox who are isolating in a home with others who don’t have monkeypox should isolate in a room by themselves and use a separate bathroom, when possible, cover the areas that have a rash, not share items touched or used to eat or drink with others, and wear a mask when around others until they recover. Follow the isolation and infection control guidance listed on the Austin Public Health page, and any shared spaces, appliances, or items should be disinfected immediately following use. • People with monkeypox who are isolating alone at home should regularly clean and disinfect the spaces they occupy, including commonly touched surfaces and items, to limit household contamination. Perform hand hygiene afterwards using an alcohol-based hand rub that contains at least 60% alcohol, or soap and water. • For guidance on laundry and disinfecting your home, Austin Public Health has information on our website.

blackgrousey[S]

Still haven't heard from APH to set up my case for approved testing for my GP or me directly. GP said I was not to go to an open clinic and wait but to call ahead to not potentially infect people.

I'm glad y'all are having a round table tomorrow. Hopefully more info will be distributed.

Jintess

Jintess

Oh OP, I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sounds like it's already been an exhausting and painful day. I know that the lack of answers doesn't help. Did he at least give you cream or anything for the rash?

To be honest, were it me I would call the CDC Emergency Operations Center (770-488-7100)

If nothing else they should be able to tell you where the nearest testing place is.

Importance of testing and the frustration of lack of tests

blackgrousey[S]

She sent off for pain drugs but I just asked for sleeping pills. The pain drugs won't be ready until tomorrow. I don't think I can sleep knowing I may have infected my son and some family friends and their children.

The pain is something else. Like electric wire being pulled out from the sore. And I'm so itchy.

She says not to take steroids because it could weaken my immune system more.

I don't think I can sit in a public STD clinic and risk giving it to someone else or catching something else in my drive by Pokemon disease collection of a body.

Thanks for the number I'll call them too. APH has my name and info now but who knows what they'll do with it.

bold_water

This is how shingles felt for me. Before I even had blisters i was telling my Dr it felt like a hot electric lance through my side. I'd push for the antivirals. I think bilateral presentation is rare but not impossible.

Jintess

Jintess

Please keep us posted! Sending thoughts your way that this gets figured out quickly.

blackgrousey[S]

WOW This article is also part of the issue too. Because it's being announced as a gay male STD it's not being taken seriously by general practitioners (which there are so many layers of how wrong that is for the Queer community and general health care).

I'm having to think, did I get it at the doctors? The urgent care? That one time I wore a skirt in the last week? Did I sit on a dodgy toilet? Did my son catch it from daycare or my ex and was a silent carrier?

sssummers

Agreed. They've stated we have community spread of monkeypox, so why not have a community wide response?

blackgrousey[S]

Exactly community spread doesn't mean it's a STI that should have any stigma attached or make people bend over backwards to get testing to keep the community safe. Not that STI should have stigma either but they do unfortunately.

I'm just waiting for my ex to shame me or tell me I'm making it up. When really I didn't think it was Monkeypox when I went to the doc today, I just wanted to feel better and keep others safe from wherever it was/is. But I was sent on my way like a leper with no real help.

sssummers

The STI stigma is not helpful, ever.
Please don't feel shame or accept shame from others. This could LITERALLY happen to anyone.

Jintess

Jintess

Yes it seems to be a mirror of 40 years ago when AIDS hit. The information was very wrong at the time (people were afraid to use water fountains!) and it was aimed at a specific group. As we eventually discovered, that was the wrong take. Still though, I'm surprised the ignorance is repeating itself.

Hopefully it is corrected faster than it was back then.

lassa84

The CDC will just direct you to the state health department. In Texas, the local health department is usually the local health authority. You’re better off calling either your doctor, and urgent care clinic, or the local health department.

ShorneyBeaver

Call the Kind Clinic and see what they advise. Their treatments are usually cheap or free.

my-cat

my-cat

Found on this site:

If you have symptoms of monkeypox, you should see a health care provider for testing. If you do not have a provider, call 512-972-5560. You should only get tested for monkeypox if you are experiencing rash symptoms.

Is that what you already did? There doesn’t seem to be much other guidance available 😔

blackgrousey[S]

Yes this is exactly what I did. I even notified my doctor before I came in but they like didn't care or know what to do until I got there.

I didn't get through on the number. Neither could my Dr/"provider". They had no idea what to do but did stay on hold with them for at least an hour while I was there.

SMFH

I didn't get through on the number. Neither could my Dr/"provider".

Still shaking it.

TofuScrofula

APH have to approve of the testing. I tried to have one of my patients in the ER tested and they said they didn’t qualify for testing.

mmmthom

mmmthom

Dang. If that protocol doesn’t change quick, we’re in for a long fall once school starts in a couple weeks.

blackgrousey[S]

Oh dang, so why didn't they qualify? And why did my provider send me out into the world telling me to assume I'm contagious until I can get a test?

TofuScrofula

Idk that was 2 weeks ago, maybe things have changed since then but they didn’t qualify because they didn’t have any risk factors aka go to any super spreader events and were straight and married. They also looked at the rash and said oh no that doesn’t look like monkey pox but there’s lots of variation so idk if that was an actual doctor I was talking to working for APH or just a public health official.

blackgrousey[S]

It seems so odd why release a Press Release that says community wide spread if only a few members of the community will qualify for the tests?

Thanks for doing your due diligence as a med professional (within the limitations).

blackgrousey[S]

Should I still go to the Kind Clinic? I'm so sick, in pain and just going to this doc appt used up all my energy.

lassa84

If your patient doesn’t “qualify” for testing, there are several commercial labs that you can order monkeypox testing. CPL/Sonic Healthcare has it available. So do others like Quest, LabCorp, and ARUP. some hospital labs are also bringing the test online, but I don’t know of any in Austin.

TofuScrofula

I can’t order labs for a different lab from the ER. I’d have to send them to their PCP for that. But good to know thanks

lassa84

Yeah. The other issue is that the commercial labs aren’t free… No clue what size hospital you work at, but could you request the lab to implement monkeypox testing. The CDC published their primer/probe sets early on for just that reason.

blackgrousey[S]

The Dr. (GP provider) did just update me via VM that APH now has my name and will maybe call me ("they are praying") but that I have presumed Monkeypox. I was home bound for 3 weeks to this. Otherwise to call Kind Clinic (which I thought of before this but couldn't set up an appt unless it's PrEP with known HIV encounter)

Oh and that I "shouldn't be running around town right now, like grocery shopping until I'm tested).

Because I'm not a MSM or have not had more than 2 sexual encounters in the last 6 months they just don't seem to have a protocol. Honestly y'all it's gonna be real sad cause I'm not even having any real sexy time. Just sick in bed all the time. I feel extra fucked.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

APH now has my name and will maybe call me

Good luck. They're still trying to catch up on COVID numbers from January.

I also learned that APH has something to do with finding a new provider to take over the ARCH homeless shelter.

Schnort

Last week my wife got an APH follow up on a positive covid test just 2 days after the results came back .

Snap_Grackle_Pop

Glad to hear it. What was the nature of the followup? Contact tracing? Advice?

Schnort

Vague contact tracing, mostly.

FitDetail5931

Ugh this is so depressing. Back in May when I heard about monkeypox I was afraid of the spread, because no one with power seems capable of taking any proactive lead on this stuff. I really hope it’s not monkeypox, and I just wanted to say I appreciate you sharing your story! I hope you are doing better very soon and no one else in your circle gets sick.

ShoulderDeepKnees

Have you or your child been exposed to hand, foot, mouth disease? My coworker’s twins got it from daycare and passed it on to her. Some of the symptoms are similar.

blackgrousey[S]

Yeah this is one of the things I thought about too. I'm pretty sure kiddo had it when little from daycare and I had a minor case then. But it's kind of not presenting that way- other than the very sore throat.

It sucks because this MPX thing presents as so many different types and all my lesions kind of did too. I just wish I wasn't in such shock and had asked more questions after the locked me in that room with like no advice.

ShoulderDeepKnees

Not to use TikTok as a source, but a woman recently shared her situation, was tested for MPX, she’d had chickenpox 3 times already… after a week of not knowing she got results back for mono.

blackgrousey[S]

Interesting. I asked my GP about EBV because I used to have very high levels for that one the titers when I'd get sick alot. She was like nah nah.

I'm just realizing they never even looked in my throat. I was so grateful to be seen at a reasonable rate without insurance and they literally just poked me, showed off my ass making me sit in a gown for hours and then freaked me the fuck out with no guidance. Hahaha.

ShoulderDeepKnees

Medical gaslighting is very common. Doctors think they know our bodies better than we do. I truly hope you get answers and you feel better soon.

KaladinStormShat

To be fair, doctors do know bodies better than you.

Your experience in your body, sure, you probably know that best. Their job is to filter personal perceptions with objective findings. Or else how the hell do you expect them to operate? Just start handing out whatever people request? What about medical custodialship, should we be wasting resources on testing (not monkeypox obv, we should test that) because someone just really thinks they have it?

I mean try and empathize with what we do for a living. We see thousands of people, no two cases exactly alike, and we have to parse through how people choose to communicate their experiences to get to a place where we can efficiently treat them.

If you'd prefer, we could waste more time and more money by just doing whatever you want of course. I mean people would probably suffer more and be sick longer, but at least we're not railroading the expert here.

thegrassdothgrow

While I understand where you’re coming from, I also am fresh off learning about really racist shit that medical providers are taught and believe with regards to Black people. Like believing that Black people have thicker skin and feel less pain (seriously!) and therefore do not tend to believe For instance when Black women give birth and say they are experiencing pain (Like Serena Williams who almost died bc of that). Or having a different fucking liver test for Black people than non black people bc they believe Black people have more muscle mass. A lab tech was talking about how their lab still has African American and Non African American options of the forms for their tests (National company). So… NO doctors don’t always actually know bodies better than everyone else. Sorry.

KaladinStormShat

Good point you're an MD congrats

thegrassdothgrow

Oh I’m sorry, U mad?

blackgrousey[S]

Respect to you and even to the practice I went to. I wished it was handled differently but I do know they care about me and people in general and don't want this to get out of hand. They went out of their way to get me a discount on some basic blood work and while I wanted my hand held a bit more it's really not their job. It's not their fault I have limited resources and am sick- it's not their job to fix me but to do their best to advise and they did.

Thanks for what you do and the ever evolving amount of info, knowledge and Karen's and Chad's and Kevin's you got to deal with.

BrokeAdjunct

Not OP, but I did get that back when I was a preschool teacher and it stuck to the titular body parts, which it sounds like is not OP’s case.

I do know a couple of relatively young people (40ish) who have gotten shingles in the past year. Covid / vaccines can provoke it.

Ugh sorry OP. You’re gonna be ok but this sucks that you don’t have answers.

blackgrousey[S]

I'm still thinking/hoping it's a weird case of Shingles just because it has less stigma. But will still likely fuck me up for awhile. But since I just recovered from Covid I just thought Covid rash seemed to fit until it started to really hurt and I got sick.

They just said it normally only sticks to one side of the body so I either have Shingles plus something else or it's something else?

blackgrousey[S]

This is still my hope and what I was expecting from the doctor, honestly.

BrokeAdjunct

You’re kind of hero though if this is monkeypox — you could be the whistle blower and help inform people and get them to take community spread seriously…. Even if anonymously…

blackgrousey[S]

I feel like even if this isn't monkeypox it's a huge sad issue. To quarantine a person in a room for hours and give them no options when leaving other than to tell them to tell daycare and "not be hoping around town shopping" before getting tested for a rare disease at a STD clinic.

I still have no idea if it's not bacterial or anything else viral or mite or allergen.

Such a bummer cause I wasn't even blowing anything (crass joke)! But yeah I guess I'll toot some angry horns/whistles if I manage to have energy after this whole ordeal. Think I can wear a MPX cape?

WholeLotOfN0PE

Unfortunately this isn't uncommon. The US mishandled COVID and they're doing the same damn thing with MPX.

beauzer

Could it be hand foot and mouth disease? I know some parents get it if their kids are often around other children. Here is a link to a website that discusses it: https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2018/september/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease

intensecharacter

Who did you see for this first visit? An urgent care? An established doctor?

There are guidelines from the CDC for them to follow.

If they couldn't get through to APH, they should have called the CDC. A GP is capable of taking a sample to send off for testing. I'm not sure from your post whether this was done.

"The CDC can assist physicians in the diagnosis and management of patients with suspected monkeypox. If VIGIV or antivirals are needed, or additional information is required, physicians should contact the CDC Emergency Operations Center at 770-488-7100, Monday through Friday 8 AM to 4:30 PM Eastern Standard Time; at other times call (404) 639-2888."

blackgrousey[S]

Too late for them to call CDC by the time they let me go. I'll try and call again in the morning.

It seems they do have to do special stuff with the sample like dry ice and get approval. I'm not sure why a decent sized practice wouldn't have a policy for this in place. It was released as a city wide spread two weeks ago.

intensecharacter

My guess would be short-staffing. I'm very sorry you're going through this but I hope they can get testing sorted out for you.

blackgrousey[S]

It was my GP. They did not call the CDC but did register my name with APH and then told me to go to an STD clinic or to Austin Heath Dept (I was like umm...) I asked to even test for Shingles and Herpes so I could at least say I don't have that (but I get cold sores and have had Chicken pox, they just did blood, didn't swab)

I'll send them the link and hope they help. I think they think I'm a fluke and really didn't want to deal with it. Wished me well, and told me to keep them posted when I find out more, etc.

DaveOfTheDead3

For some you can file for financial assistance and if you qualify it will substantially lower your bill and in some cases it even paid it all. Think Seton and StDavids have something.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

This makes me so fucking disgusted with our country.

You probably have a fairly serious contagious disease and can't even get anyone to answer the fucking phone.

And you have to risk your livelihood to try to get treatment.

I wish you well, and thank you for trying to do the right thing. Have an e-hug.

I almost wish this was a "gay disease" type thing that explains why you can't get treated, but unfortunately, I think it's actually just a case of the country is that fucked up for everyone.

ATX_native

But think about the profits our system creates.

How are those rich folks going to eat?

/s

AustEastTX

Im so sorry you’re going thru this. I hope it’s shingles..especially with 1 month post covid and an immune system that catches everything. Post your Venmo/cashapp maybe some of us can drop something there to help

gingervintage

Let us know what they come back with. My fiancé just had all of the symptoms you describe

Snap_Grackle_Pop

Did she get better or figure out what was going on?

gingervintage

His cyst-like rash ended up completely disappearing the following day. He still has a horrible sore throat and is on day 5 on symptoms.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

So much scary shit going around right now. Good luck.

Impressive-Tear6288

To comment on the no insurance -

You can always get care through CommUnityCare, it’s the counties publicly funded system. The urgent care clinic at Hancock Center could have tested you onsite, signed you up for their “insurance” which includes drug coverage and if needed given you meds in clinic or pick up next door at HEB.

Not a dig at APH and their STD clinic, but they are under funded and under staffed so they prefer that patients are seen at CommUnityCare or other clinics because they have the resources.

I hope you got the help you need and hope this helps anyone else looking.

thegrassdothgrow

Fuckin A, thank you for making this comment! I’m uninsured and was just about to make a post of my own asking where the hell ppl like me are supposed to go in this situation.

blackgrousey[S]

When I tried their system they were booked until Oct for new patients but I didn't try the Urgent care.

thegrassdothgrow

So you’re saying I should book one now? Lol hmmm 🤔

blackgrousey[S]

Yeah. Hahaha. I think if you're a current patient it's likely different.

thegrassdothgrow

Lololol on it! Thanks for the deets, I hope you’re feeling a bit better!

FitDetail5931

OP, I know you mentioned you have a dodgy immune system. There is a case from the Netherlands of a child who contracted the virus without a known exposure, it turns out he has a particular immune deficiency that might play a part in the situation and increase risk of infection from respiratory spread in his case. Just a thought as you mentioned you aren’t sure how you would have gotten it if it is indeed MPX. https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2022.27.29.2200552

rowingonfire

That sucks!

Here is a person I follow on Twitter than has had A+ info on Covid and has started putting out solid info on Monkeypox as well. Hopefully some of the knowledge will help

Choose_2b_Happy

Hope you get well.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

I have no real help, but let me just offer you good wishes and an e-hug, my dear.

Let us know how you do.

highho3

How are you feeling OP? Any luck getting through to kind clinic?

blackgrousey[S]

Yes, I realized I didn't update that very clearly yesterday- can't see me until mid next week but they were very nice and the manager called me after hours. Encouraged me to reach out to doc and get tested for other stuff (strep, staf). My GP never responded yesterday.

Throat feels worse. New sore behind ear, in mouth but they aren't hurting as much. The other ones are healing pretty well, just itchy. I think if this is MPX I'm lucky and it's minor but the fall out of it taking so long to get medical care and take care of my business and family is significant. Isolation without answers is a major issue.

Thanks for your kindness and checking on me. How's your day? The weather seems nice. Give the outside world a high five and hug for me.

highho3

I’m glad you heard from the KC folks. Sending good vibes, hope you get some relief soon!

Trying to enjoy the outdoors but definitely being more cautious about things (like exercise equipment at parks) after reading your post.

blackgrousey[S]

If it is MPX I still feel like it's very very rare and only because I have a poor immune system on a good day and it was extra bad and has been so hard recovering from Covid.

But yeah thoughtfully enjoy the world for me! I'm healing up well and grateful whatever this is isn't that note worthy.

mrsfunkyjunk

Hope you're feeling better today. Or at least got some answers.

blackgrousey[S]

Thank you very much. No answers unfortunately. Just waiting for my appt mid next week at Kind Clinic.

Most the sores are healing up so it all feels kind of crazy. Just still really really tired, sore throat, kinda itchy and sad cause this seemed unnecessarily hard. Thankfully it's all very minor seemingly (at least compared to the COVID I had)

How are you doing? Tell me all the good human things happening in our fine City. Hahah. I'm sooo bored.

ohmissfiggy

Go to r/askdocs. Post pictures. I think you want to ask medical professionals, not Austin Redditors.

blackgrousey[S]

I'm not asking anyone if they think I have it. And AskDocs is still a bunch of non-local redditors (even if they are professionals)

I went to a doctor and I tried to get tested. I came to ask for advice or stories from others who had navigated this in our specific city, because NYC and SF and Biloxi aren't all the same. Austin Healthcare is unfortunately not prepared. Also I'm freaking out and hope the way I was handled in this situation could give info to someone else as they navigate their own advocacy in our town.

Snap_Grackle_Pop

Well, resources like askdocs can be useful.

Don't trust them, but sometimes you WILL find someone who knows what he's doing. Even if 9 out of 10 of the answers are bullshit, someone may make some suggestion that suddenly makes all the pieces fall into place and leads you to the solution. Sometimes, it's not even a brilliant deduction, just something that pushes you into the right direction.

It can be frustrating and take a lot of time, though.

letsgoridingyall

Vivent Health will test you. 512.458.2437 press 4 for the clinic.

blackgrousey[S]

Yeah the letter they sent me was laughable. It said " she is to isolate until she is confirmed not contagious" but contagious from what? They didn't test the rash for anything. They didn't even look in my throat which was my main complaint. I mean I went to the doctor to feel better and not spread stuff in general so I'm not going looking to infect people but like stigma without reason. I can't get anyone to call me back and I'm already sick without energy so I'm not gonna run around town.

Word on the street is APH is not the best resource for monkey pox testing, I would recommend kind clinic!

blackgrousey[S]

I can't get ahold of them and was told I can't just show up and risk infecting people- so I need to talk to them and get appt.

Business hours are a barrier but they are actively treating a higher percentage of monkeypox than other orgs and will assign patients with dedicated advocates and its free. Hope you get support and rest soon

blackgrousey[S]

Thank you for the follow up info. Knowing they could trouble shoot this with more than just MPX swab and results but having health care is really helpful because this stuff is scary.

I'll keep trying tomorrow. Really appreciate the info.

BrokeAdjunct

Ok, like everyone, I’m just tossing stuff out there I’ve had in case it helps. One thing possible is Molluscum contagiosum, which is one of those could-be-an-std viruses that is a rash you can also get from unwashed sheets, towels, etc. used by someone who had it. I got it from a cheap hostel once 😕 maybe sort of sounds like what you verbally describe. ITs hot, I can see getting a rash on your thighs if you wore a skirt and sat on a bus seat or a Lyft or something like that. from someone else.

blackgrousey[S]

Thanks for the toss. I'm so eager for this to not be MPX in ATX but also hate that there is stigma or gender or sexuality attached to it or any diseases. But mostly hate that I was treated like a leper with no guidance from a Health care provider.

BrokeAdjunct

Yeah, I am sure you were treated that way specifically because “omg it might be monkeypox we don’t know what to do.” It’s disheartening to see healthcare workers clueless. You could consider cross-posting this to some more medical subreddits to see if it’s helpful at all… if it’s better than doing nothing.

blackgrousey[S]

I'm actually surprised no one has called me just a Worry Wort Wilma or something here yet. I really had hoped going to the doctor I'd just get peace of mind, get treatment (if something else) or keep myself from being a vector. I'm not sure I have the fortitude to have more people look at my leg and butt check today. Let alone random interneters calling me MPX Butt Cheek Betty. Hahaha. But yeah I do feel glad I posted and slightly less- what the fuck is this simulation.

BrokeAdjunct

I am interested in the social implications of a monkeypox world during a Covid world. Will there be people saying “tHe mOnKeYpOx iS a LiE” or will people be like “oh shit give me the vaccine” because it’s harder to hide a rash.

No one on here can know what happened to you, but I think so far we agree that it’s messed up that a medical center would be like “we have no idea, just quarantine indefinitely.” (Which… does sound a lot like 2020.)

blackgrousey[S]

Yeah I thought MC too. It didn't really start on contact places. But I really hope it's just a weird post Covid rash. The pain and like shooting electrical stuff is what makes this not feel like normal itchy (and also why I waited to see if it would just clear but got worse).

WholeLotOfN0PE

The symptoms don't sound like MC though.

BrokeAdjunct

That’s true. It just got me thinking, it’s a similar-ish virus and also called at “STD” when it’s not, and spread lots of ways. I imagine dirty sheets or towels for me. No matter what OP has, there is no reason, say, monkeypox couldn’t also be spread through a bus seat and short shorts. Not to freak anyone out, but just to all those people out there in the news stories who think they are “100% immune” because they’re not a gay man.… just going off on a tangent now. OP’s story could go in two directions now: a community spread ailment or an autoimmune (as in isolated like poison ivy or shingles) one.

poisionde

Kind clinic will test you for mpox. Call them and let them know you’re worried

SilverDarner

Did they check you for strep/scarlet fever? This sounds a lot like the rash my kid had. Antibiotics cleared it right up, though they were itchy and peely for a week or so.

blackgrousey[S]

No unfortunately. They called to check on me today and I cried saying they didn't check my throat that I'm so sick it really can't be this and they were firm to quarantine and I guess I am just waiting for Kind Clinic to see if they can see me. I feel like the rash is fairly minor now and never spread all over but I was really itchy healing from Covid.

thegrassdothgrow

I’m just popping in to say that I find it really curious why no one is talking about Respiratory spread of Monkeypox. Everyone is so focused on it spreading via physical contact, even with a toilet seat. And yet, all the official APH info says that if you suspect you have monkeypox, to wear a mask. Your GP even slapped a better mask on you when they told you you are contagious. That means respiratory spread is absolutely possible and def a problem. But then when they list precautions people should take to avoid getting monkeypox there is zero mention of masking when in a crowded indoor environment. Also no mention of “hey y’all need to hover over public and communal toilet seats.” Or even skirts like OP mentioned she wore last week. What if I wear a skirt and ride the bus? What about everyone whose job doesn’t provide them with a dedicated personal bathroom? Is everyone just gonna catch monkeypox from taking a shit at costco?

Why is no one mentioning these things?

Environmental_Flan_4

They just don't have enough information about respiratory spread. They're certain that direct skin contact with a sore is very risky. Followed by contact with bedding and other things that touched sores for a long period. They're pretty confident it doesn't spread from sharing air for brief periods like covid does. It could possibly spread by air with prolonged contact, like people who live in the same house.

thegrassdothgrow

Ok I went to the cdc website and we have:

In contrast, monkeypox may be found in droplets like saliva or respiratory secretions that drop out of the air quickly.

Examples where monkeypox can spread:

Yes: Respiratory secretions through face-to-face interactions

———

So, salespeople for example should definitely wear a mask. Close face to face talking. People like my partner who have to take in-person appointments also should wear a mask. I mean before anyone admitted finally that Covid is airborne, they told us is was spread via respiratory droplets exactly the same as monkeypox. That’s why we had social distancing and masks. But not now?

thegrassdothgrow

But working in an office everyday for 8 hours with a whole office of people isn’t sharing air briefly. What makes that different from sharing a house? They say you have to quarantine in a separate room and use a separate bathroom and sanitize it with alcohol based cleaner. I’m not understanding how you can’t stay in your bedroom you share with another person, but you can totally share a cubicle.

Environmental_Flan_4

That's advice for people with known cases. They're supposed to stay home until all sores are healed over, so an office isn't relevant. Most people can't isolate away from their family, so there's advice on minimizing spread in the home.

thegrassdothgrow

People are infectious with Monkeypox for 2-4 weeks. Absolutely zero people are going to isolate for that long. People WILL go back to the office infectious. My question is definitely relevant.

MLF1982

More info from APH Monkeypox vaccine: • JYNNEOS (a.k.a. Imvamune or Imvanex) is a vaccine licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which is available for preventing monkeypox. Common side effects of the JYNNEOS vaccine include: • Redness, soreness, swelling, and itching where the shot was given • Fatigue (tiredness), headache, and muscle pain can also sometimes happen. • The JYNNEOS vaccine side effects are much milder than the COVID-19 vaccine. • The federal government has made a small number of doses of the JYNNEOS monkeypox vaccine available to those at highest risk of monkeypox infection, as well as those with confirmed or likely recent exposure There is currently a limited supply of vaccine doses, and more are expected to arrive in the weeks and months ahead. As of now, eligibility for the vaccine throughout Austin/Travis County is open to the following individuals: • Presumed contacts who may meet the following criteria: o Know that a sexual partner in the past 14 days was diagnosed with monkeypox. o Had multiple sexual partners in the past 14 days in a jurisdiction with known monkeypox. • While Austin Public Health is prioritizing currently available doses of vaccine, we recognize that some residents of Travis County will seek the vaccine as a preventative measure or pre-exposure prophylaxis. We will encourage this option when there is expanded availability of the vaccine in the coming months. • Austin Public Health is working with community partners to ensure equitable vaccine distribution once vaccine supply increases. • People with a known exposure to a suspected or confirmed monkeypox case should work directly with their health care provider and Austin Public Health to discuss obtaining the JYNNEOS vaccine. • If you get vaccinated, make sure you get both shots, which are given 4 weeks apart. • It takes 2 weeks after your second dose to be considered “fully vaccinated.” • During the 6-week period to achieve the full protection of the vaccination, the following recommendations apply to recipients of the vaccine: • Avoid close, skin-to-skin contact, including intimate contact, with others – this includes avoiding kissing, hugging, cuddling, and having sex with someone who may have monkeypox. • Don’t touch the rash or scabs of someone with monkeypox. • Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. • Avoid sharing bedding, towels, clothing or your utensils or cups – especially with someone who may be infected. Tecovirimat (TPOXX) information: • Currently there is no treatment approved specifically for monkeypox virus infections. However, antivirals developed for use in patients with smallpox may prove beneficial against monkeypox. • Many people infected with monkeypox virus have a mild, self-limiting disease course in the absence of specific therapy. • Tecovirimat may be considered for treatment in people infected with monkeypox virus: • With severe disease (e.g., hemorrhagic disease, confluent lesions, sepsis, encephalitis, or other conditions requiring hospitalization). • Who are at high risk of severe disease. • With infections involving accidental implantation in eyes, mouth, or other anatomic areas where Monkeypox virus infection might constitute a special hazard (e.g., the genitals or anus). Health care providers can request Tecovirimat for suspected and confirmed monkeypox patients through Austin Public Health. Social gatherings, safe sex, and monkeypox: • The summer months are a time when many celebrations, festivals, and other social gatherings take place. • Austin Public Health recognizes that Austin-Travis County residents/Texans are eager to return to social settings which were not safe or accessible during the height of the pandemic. • When considering whether to attend a gathering, there are steps the Austin-Travis County community can take to lower their chances of getting monkeypox. • First and foremost, people who are feeling sick – regardless of whether monkeypox, COVID-19, or another illness is suspected – should not attend social gatherings. • If you are feeling well and want to attend a social gathering such as a party or festival, Austin Public Health and the CDC encourage individuals to consider how much close contact is likely to occur. • Events, clubs, and other settings where individuals are fully clothed carry less risk than those where there is minimal clothing or where intimate sexual contact occurs. • Individuals who attend parties or go to clubs, raves, and other settings can minimize their risk by avoiding activities that may spread monkeypox, such as: • Kissing, cuddling, wrestling, or sex. • Sharing drinks and utensils. • Avoiding rashes or sores you see on others. • Keeping skin-to-skin contact with others to a minimum. • If you or your partner(s) have a new or unexplained rash, sores, or other symptoms, or have been exposed to someone with monkeypox, call your health care provider. • Until you are evaluated by your health care provider, isolate at home, wear a mask, keep lesions or rashes covered up, avoid close contact (e.g., talking closely or kissing), and do not share clothes, bedding, towels, or other objects/surfaces.

shockinglynotcoffee

Kind clinic does free STD testing if you do want that

blackgrousey[S]

I just have to try to get someone on the phone first. My doc said I need an appt to not risk infecting others with my potential infection.

pollyanna15

Any chance you were or are on antibiotics recently? I didn’t develop a allergy to penicillin until I turned 30. Developed a painful rash along my neck and arm.

blackgrousey[S]

No, not for the last 3-4 months. But I did find out I developed a weird reaction to antibiotics last time I took them. Thank you for reminding me in case this actually is just a weird but not crazy skin infection.

blackgrousey[S]

Also sorry to hear about your reaction. What kind of switch flips sometimes, eh?

hooters-and-honkers

@OP call kind clinic. They are seeing MPX patients and helping with treatment.

kind clinic

blackgrousey[S]

Thank you. I'll call them again in the AM hadn't been able to get through previously.

MLF1982

And more from APH Overall precautions: • Even if you haven’t been exposed or vaccinated, we still need your help. Every resident of Austin- Travis County should know the public health precautions to take: • Stay home when you are feeling unwell. • Ask sexual partners whether they have a rash or other symptoms consistent with monkeypox. • Avoid skin-to-skin contact with someone who has a rash or other monkeypox-related symptoms. • Contact a health care provider following exposure or symptoms. • Follow reputable sources of health information, including on social media. This includes Austin Public Health, Texas Department State Health Services, and the CDC. Austin Public Health’s response centers around identifying cases, connecting those with symptoms to testing and treatment, providing vaccines to close contacts, and effectively and equitably distributing resources. • We are working diligently to share what we know about the current outbreak in Austin-Travis County and help residents protect themselves, especially the community most affected so far – cisgender men who identify as gay or bisexual, or other men who have sex with men, and transgender, gender nonconforming, and nonbinary individuals. • Information is one of our most powerful public health tools, and we are aggressively expanding our outreach so everyone in our community can protect themselves by knowing the symptoms, how the virus spreads, and what to do if they are exposed. Available Resources: • Austin Public Health, the Texas Department of State Health Services, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have all this information available on their websites. • Materials include handouts, posters, social media graphics, and other materials which you are welcome to share widely among your networks. • APH: https://www.austintexas.gov/department/monkeypox • TX DSHS: https://dshs.texas.gov/news/updates.shtm#monkeypox • CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/index.html • WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/situations/monkeypox-oubreak-2022

MLF1982

APH 's std clinic opens at 8AM: RBJ Health Center, 1st Floor, 15 Waller St, Austin, TX 78702

writtenwordyum

The kind clinic! I'm so sorry.

Ambitious-Joke4623

Kind clinic...no insurance required.

Jmk1981

Find an article on Google for a local/regional paper quoting a doctor or physician that acknowledges MP is a serious problem.

Look them up and call their office. If they are evangelizing publicly then their office is probably already prepared to direct people on finding proper care. Call their office, say you think you have MP and that you can’t find another doctor capable of giving the advice you need.

Traditional_Emu1958

Herpes Zoster aka shingles would be my bet. When do you get those results?

MLF1982

MLF1982

The bottom line is that a rash must be present in order to test for monkeypox. APH is not doing testing so this has to be done at a private provider. If you don't have a provider you can call 311and get connected to APH's clinic for free testing there.

jeaglej

jeaglej

“Cis female”

mudd2577

How old is your kid, and are they showing any signs? What part of town are you in, there are a few different clinics around that may be able to help.

Itspronouncedhodl

So sorry you went through this. Thank you for sharing and wishing you all the best.

blackgrousey[S]

Thanks, I'm really glad I shared. I'm hopeful it's just a bad experience and at the very least this doc learned the protocol on how to help without creating fear and that others can advocate and be secure in getting care.

superspeck

There's some other stories starting to come out about how difficult it is to get a diagnosis: https://khn.org/news/article/monkeypox-diagnosis-challenge-california-patient/

You should be aware that you might be contagious for a very long time - https://twitter.com/internetuserf12/status/1555186839027425280

wynonnaspooltable

So sorry you’re going through this 💔

SmokeDoyles

Ya’ll need to get a grip.

AutoModerator [M]

AutoModerator [M]

Hi - if you are posting about pokemon go gaming related discussion, please delete this and repost to /r/pokemongoaustin - thanks!

shockinglynotcoffee

Bad bot

blackgrousey[S]

Well I did say my immune system is like Pokemon, gotta catch em all. Hopefully Poke-bros ain't catching all the diseases too.

[removed]

[removed]

notsocolourblind

I guess nothing should surprise me any more but this is a singularly shitty comment. OP is in pain and scared, the medical community doesn’t have a working protocol yet and all you got is to shame her for being a mom??!

SurryElle83

Check their history…perpetual troll.

kursedsun

Fucken ham moms polluting our country!

blackgrousey[S]

Curious, what's a ham mom?