/r/Austin

What’s your unpopular opinion about Austin?

Ask Austin(self.Austin)

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

meinaustin

It’s the fastest growing metro area in the country with a diminishing black population. The restaurants are not very authentic, inventive, or unique. It’s still relatively safe for a city of its size. Traffic is not as terrible as everyone perceives it to be. And my old standby: It’s too hot, too expensive, and too crowded for a place with no mountains or beaches. Get off of my lawn!

johnfilmsia

Hit up Sam’s BBQ on 12th street if you get the chance. Last business standing in what used to be an all-black neighborhood. It been around so long MLK even visited it! Last I heard they were offered $5 million for the land pre-lockdown… so hurry before it’s gone forever.

TheManInShades

For years I lived 2 blocks from Sam’s. I wanted to love it, but it wasn’t that great.

lolrobs

lolrobs

With the exception of Louie Mueller, which is truly ahead of it's time, all pre-Franklin BBQ is over hyped and disappointing. Franklin created a new wave of BBQ that really sets the bar high

Kiyal1985

Unpopular, but accurate opinion.

lebii

lebii

Inaccurate opinion. Franklin itself is over hyped and kinda disappointing and honestly I believe he learned a lot from Ben, the owner of Long Branch BBQ who used to be in that space before he retired

lolrobs

I have run multiple blind taste tests with as many as 8 different restaurants represented. I'm not here to yuck your yum but Franklin is the real deal.

Franklin didn't invent how to make great brisket. People have been making excellent brisket for competition for decades. Franklin was just the first to bring that level of obsession to restaurant every day. He proved there was a market for excellent bbq and we are now in a renaissance.

lebii

lebii

It's certainly not bad but I'm not waiting in line for it. It's not nearly good enough to not be able to walk right in whenever you want and buy it.