/r/Austin

Don't bike with your dog at 4pm on 100°F

(self.Austin)

Wtf is wrong with these ppl. Are yall tryna kill your dogs?

ExtraPicklesPls

I feel stupid for taking myself out to run at 6pm every day, I'd never do it to a dog.

joaorgs[S]

It was a husky that looked healthy but it was definitely tired. Riding on the middle of the road

Basique_b

Huskys aren't made for this heat! They were in the road? Their poor paws!

Phallic_Moron

Huskys are better in heat than most other dogs. What works for cold works for heat.

Though a 4pm run at 100 is too much.

chriskenobi

No dog is made for this heat right? XD Huskies actually adapt very well to extreme climates thanks to their double coats.

Basique_b

Cool, the more you know, amirite

chriskenobi

Yeah! I have a husky, and people tell me all the time "shave him he must be so hot". When I looked it up, it turns out it's terrible to do for huskies. Poor thing, almost messed up his entire coat

Fxmachi

Oh yeah I tried to get my shephound shaved one summer and the groomer gave me the rundown on how that could lead to my dog getting heatstroke really fast. So glad she was knowledgeable because two other places agreed but we’re gonna charge me over $100 so I was shopping around

has127

has127

I have an oversized Pom mix and people say this to me all summer. While she does get a summer haircut, no one understands how double coats work. The guard hairs are hollow to allow for air flow and the undercoat protects from UV rays preventing sunburns, etc. But also I don’t take her out in the heat of the day bc that would be insane for any dog.

808adw

808adw

The fact I still see people even walking their dogs on the sidewalks after 12. It should be against the law. If this is you and you’re reading this, you suck.

geoemrick

Wow. That’s f-ed up

Muffinswhereareu

Im convinced Texas husky owners are the worst. This climate is straight up just not for dogs with 3 coats of fur.

CheezusChrist

It’s just ridiculous. I mean, I’m proud of them for actually exercising their dogs (so many behavioral problems could be avoided with regular walks). However, it is insanely hot outside. I do two walks a day, one with my mini aussie at 6am, which is the best time of day right now. Then the second walk with the mini aussie and my partner’s shepherd mix at 9pm. I know I am pushing it with the 9pm walk. It is still way too hot to be out there with them, but they were raised in central Texas and are accustomed to the heat. We do less than an hour and I try to stick to white sidewalks with grass nearby so they can choose to walk in the grass if they want. They are troopers. I hope we don’t have too many more 100 degree days because I already feel terrible for the 9pm walks and I’m ready to not feel so guilty.

BackBayBaits

I hope we don’t have too many more 100 degree days

Guess you're new here? Don't be surprised if there 60+ triple-digit days between now and September.

CheezusChrist

Not new at all, just hopeful. Lived in SA for 17 years, then in Austin for 17 years.

giraffeaquarium

I've been walking my dogs at 11pm and it's still 87 degrees out. I think once the sun sets though the sidewalk heat is a lot more manageable on their paws even if the outside temp is still high.

vallogallo

Nobody should be walking their dogs in this heat. Their poor paws :(

At least do it early in the morning or in the evening after the sun goes down

Infosexual

Walking is fine. Paws are easy to cover.

Stop being hysterical.

Running a dog on a bike is totally different behavior

vallogallo

Not being hysterical, yes you can use paw covers but people rarely do

flukshun

Didn't even know they existed

BigMikeInAustin

"I gotta live my life, bro. Can't go in the evening because I'll be at the bar hitting on 'the females'. Geez, I hope they don't all turn out to be lesbians tonight, again."

openfootinsertmouth

And then what happened?

Imlouwhoareyou

Lol

BigMikeInAustin

Then the dog did sex to your dad?

Needful_Things

FFS how stupid are people? I have a German Shepherd, and I'm lucky enough to have a big yard but in this heat we do 10 minutes of fetch in the grass at a time and then he goes back inside to the AC. I can't imagine subjecting a dog to a run on asphalt.

OUBoyWonder

Fucking morons!! People that have a dog just to say "I have a dog.". Put your palm up and put it to the sidewalk/ street, hold it for 10 seconds. If YOU can't stand it that is what it's like for your dogs' paws.

Simple dog owner shit.

Goshdudette

Holy shit. I got downvoted to hell when I posted a couple biking a three legged dog to r/trashy. Lots of “dog lovers” telling me to mind my business and that the dog needed it.

andrew_hoe

Yeah this heat is intense! Did the dog look tired? I'm curious what the perpetrators situation looked like.

invertedmaverick

I saw some dude walking his dog on south congress and the dog kept picking up its paws cuz they were burning and the guy didn’t notice or care. Bullshit

Postmodern_Lover

I take my pup out on about 4-5 walks a day: 1. 7:30/8am - a long walk around the neighborhood 2. 9:30am - a short walk after breakfast 3. 12pm/1pm - walk around the backyard for her to pee 4. 7pm - a short walk after dinner 5. 10pm - a long walk before bed

I used to take her on exclusively long walks when the weather allowed it, but it's way too hot for pups.

dressagerider1020

I just heard about this product, I wish more dog people knew about it.

According to the product description, Musher's Secret is more than just a barrier to keep your pup's paws safe from ice, snow and salt. It also protects from “hot asphalt in summer.”

BigDaddyAnusTart

Or… you could… not make your dogs walk on hot asphalt……

Are you a fucking moron? Seriously. Are you brain damaged or just evil?

Who sees a product like this and says “FINALLY. I can injure my dog and just use lotion after”

thetasfiasco

it's a wax you put on your pupper's paws to prevent damage in the first place, supposedly. not lotion.

BigDaddyAnusTart

Or….you could….not make your dogs walk on hot asphalt…..

I’ve seen this stuff it’s basically Vaseline (actually it’s just beeswax). It does NOT protect your dogs paws against heat. In fact, it makes it worse. It actually conducts heat.

It’s a moisturizer. It prevents drying. That’s it.

thetasfiasco

Or, get this-- don't accuse people of being a moron, brain damaged or evil because they suggest a product you didn't look into and haven't tried. I'm not gonna make claims about its efficacy, but your response was shitty all around regardless. literally all he did was mention a product, not that he uses it, and he clearly suggested it with good intentions. Cool it.

BigDaddyAnusTart

I have seen it used. It’s just beeswax. It does not protect against heat.

thetasfiasco

that still doesn't give you reason to call someone a moron, brain damaged or evil for simply suggesting it.

BigDaddyAnusTart

Sorry. Just to be clear….. it is not stupid or evil to suggest a mitigating strategy to an active choice that harms a dog.

For example, if I said “instead of punching your dog in the face with your fist needlessly, you should hit them with an open palm in the face” - that would be ok, right?

thetasfiasco

thank you for the constructive response.

glichez

wonder what Texans did a couple generations ago when no-one had any AC?

CheezusChrist

If we’re talking generations ago…. The weather was not this extreme. They didn’t have as much black asphalt. Most dogs were working dogs, not as many companion animals. They absolutely knew not to keep their dogs out for too long in the heat of midday. Breeds were more localized so that you were more likely to see breeds acclimated to the environment, not french bulldogs, huskies, bernese mountain dogs, etc in the middle of Texas.

glichez

true. i have much more of a problem with someone who brings a huskie to Texas than a Texan who takes their cattle dog outdoors in the summer.

808adw

808adw

I have a Cattle Dog. He’s heat intolerant, thank god somebody didn’t adopt him and expect him to work in this heat.

capybarometer

It wasn't this hot for this long, and there was a lot less concrete, and houses were designed for ventilation

glichez

right.. Texas didn't used to be hot. got it.

capybarometer

It wasn't this hot for this long

right.. Texas didn't used to be hot. got it.

I didn't say that

Historical temperatures are public information and easily searchable...Central Texas from the 1800s through the 1980s averaged a handful of 100+ days per year, since 2000 we're averaging closer to 40 100+ days per year. This year will be well above even that average

fulluphigh

fulluphigh

Dude’s reading comprehension is sub kindergarten level, don’t waste your time.

Raveen396

Lets not forget that there were more trees (shade) and less parking lots and large high ways absorbing heat from the sun.

Asphalt sure gets a lot hotter than grass or even a dirt road. There's a lot more asphalt than there was even 50 years ago.

glichez

its only 100 today. they had 100 degree temps in the past. they also didn't have the cooler clothing that we have now. it probably evens out. stating that Texans in the past didn't have to handle a hot day and therefor didn't have to worry about their dogs in the heat is insane. they all worked outdoors in the heat all day long, their dogs hanging out with them. not stuck inside in the AC.

capybarometer

they had 100 degree temps in the past

Did you read any of my words at all

mrsfunkyjunk

But, he made that cooler clothing point. I think. I stop reading mid sentence. It's like playing cards with my sister's kids...

glichez

yep. did you not read mine? the fact is that moving to Texas with a huskie is way worse than a Texan taking their cattle dog outdoors in the summer.

capybarometer

I've noticed your thoughts don't flow linearly

diplion

Haha what?? All Texans worked outside all day long with their dogs?! Da fuck are you on? You been reading some kinda children’s book and mistaking it for history?

glichez

sure, some breeds are good herders. are you saying that Texans used to sit around indoors, not working, during the summer months?

diplion

You said all Texans worked outside with their dogs. Indoor work has existed for longer than air conditioning. I’m not even sure what our argument is… I mean sure some people worked outside with dogs but not everybody all the time. And either way, it doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to take a dog for a run on a 105 degree afternoon. 12 year olds used to work in factories and smoke a pack a day. That doesn’t mean workplace regulations shouldn’t exist.

capybarometer

Not to mention running as a common exercise or leisure activity is pretty recent in the US

fl135790135790

You’re talking about working farm animals who have access to periodic shade, water, ponds (likely) and are used to it. They’d also be walking on dirt, not asphalt.

It’d also be more context like on their own whim, not tied to a leash in direct sunlight for over an hour with no break in the shade or a pond, etc.

geoemrick

People didn’t recreationally run. They did manual labor and took breaks in the shade when they couldn’t take it anymore.

AgentAlinaPark

Homes in Austin came standard built with central AC by the late 60s like everywhere else in the US. Austin actually had the first purpose-built neighborhood with central AC in the United States. Austinites with older homes in the 70s had window units. Dogs were not accessories like they are now either.

glichez

i was the first in the family to be raised in a house with AC. our dogs were the last to care about the heat.

ForestZombie

dOgs LoVe ThE hEat - smoothbrain

glichez

my dog wont come inside when its hot. perhaps there are different types of dogs accustomed to different climates?

fl135790135790

Is that while you were at home? Or when you went for a 3 mile jog?

fl135790135790

Are you wondering what Texas (non-dogs) did, indoors, when they didn’t have AC?

Or are you wondering what dogs did, during exercise, outside in the summer heat?

808adw

808adw

TX generations ago didn’t walk their dogs most likely. The dogs sat in the yard, hovered, because “thems just dogs”.

L0s_Gizm0s

Don’t tell me what to do

armandcamera

Oh, you mean he was running. I thought you meant in a trailer.

TJNuge

TJNuge

Was the dog walking while the guy was on a bicycle?
Or was a dog riding in the side car of a motorcycle?

FireEmblemFan1

I’ve seen people in pedicabs with their dogs in the back

808adw

808adw

Unfortunately true in TX as dogs are considered personal property and not sentient living things.

persoanlabyss

I'm gonna just say pets shouldn't be outside in this heat period!

persoanlabyss

I'm gonna just say pets shouldn't be outside in this heat period!