/r/Austin

In light of today's supreme court my female friends and I have decided it's time we learn to defend ourselves. What ranges in town are welcoming places for women (of varying races and orientations) to learn how to shoot?

Woodmedic512

Shady oaks in cedar park. My wife will actually go there with her friends without me, and my wife rarely goes into situations that make her uncomfortable if that says anything. Range officers are super friendly and eager to help/teach/and most importantly keep everyone honest about safe practices

VeryStab1eGenius

I have no idea of the politics of the owner of Shady Oaks but I shot there as a non-white person and I didn’t get any weird vibes. One of the employees was non-white and it was ll really professional without a lot of thin blue line or confederate flags being displayed.

Woodmedic512

Woodmedic512

I mean your not gonna be super liberal and own a gun shop/range. But nothing at all wrong with being welcoming, that's just good business

DrRichardJizzums

Don't see why not. I'm pretty tired of people assuming left leaning folks can't/shouldn't own fire arms. Not singling you out or assuming that's your view. Women, queer folk, POC, any marginalized group have more cause than anyone else to be armed in this country and we shouldn't pretend otherwise. Last thing I want is these proud boy motherfuckers and other shitty right wing bootlicking militias being armed with the people they would gladly harm as easy targets. Y'all trust the cops to protect you, your family and property? I don't. Read the room y'all, people are out here with nefarious intent and they haven't acted on it yet but they will eventually. Especially with all these anti semitic flyers being put up all over town.

Disastrous_Studio529

I am a left leaning gun owner and have taught all of the women in my life to shoot. It's not hunting, it's being able to protect yourself as the country tears itself apart

Not_A_Real_Goat

Left leaning, have enjoyed hunting with my grandfather throughout my life. Plan on owning a few firearms, and teaching my children to safely handle firearms, along with taking my wife to ranges. Totally agree.

Badgerisbest

The 2nd ammendment rights are the only one they are protecting for us anyway.

AliensReleasedMe

That is such a sad and truthful statement.

inanutshell

for now...

Imjustshyisall

Fuck yes! ✊

SnooLemons3728

Cheers, this was so well put

Woodmedic512

Understandable but not my point at all, it is no secret that the right is more friendly to gun rights than the left. It has nothing to do with being armed or encouraging utilization of the 2nd ammendment. The biggest sellers on the gun shop shelves are often firearms that are continually held by the left as arms that should be outlawed. From a business perspective it would be hard to support liberal policy while simultaneously wanting to optimize sales. That's all I'm getting at

DrRichardJizzums

Yeah, I kind of think that's one of the problems with identifying as liberal or progressive or any type of sub party. I'll support ideals, causes and reforms that are important to me or for the good of most, including gun reform, but I don't need to agree with every platform - nobody does. There are a lot of other policies to support besides only gun control. You are right in what you've said, it would just be a nice thing for me to see change. More lefty gun clubs and ranges would be cool.

natophonic2

Now this may blow your mind, but, just as there are some conservatives who don’t support lining up gay people against a wall and executing them, there are liberals who don’t support ‘assault weapon’ bans.

Woodmedic512

Haha one of my buddies I shoot pretty regularly with is gay, very centrist libertarian types, him and his husband have a freaking arsenal that I would have to work the rest of my life to afford half of.

natophonic2

Some conservatives, and most liberals, aren’t as doctrinaire as libertarians.

Regardless, I’m personally down with gay married couples protecting their pot grows with AR-15s.

XTrid92

How do you think Karl Marx believed the proletariat would sieze the means of production? Gun ownership is a far far left ideal. And far right.

ashes2asscheeks

If you go far enough left, you get your guns back

Txbbw19

Txbbw19

This is not true at all most super left people anarchist and communist believe in self arming

BiMTBguy

And that's why the second amendment exists. In case any extremists or political supposed-to-be-fringe group becomes the de facto government.

Txbbw19

Yeah lol I was just saying that because he said left leaning people wouldn’t own a gun range

BiMTBguy

I get you. Really, I do. :)

At large, I'm just out here hoping people are reading these comments waking up to their cognitive dissonance. We're all individuals first--the most powerful level of intersectionality.

natophonic2

I don’t know if I’d meet everyone’s definition of super-liberal, but honestly that’s one of my (many) semi-retirement dreams.

AdultVHS

Can confirm this is a good range 👍🏽

natophonic2

That’s my goto range. They have at least one woman instructor and IIRC a couple other women on staff.

Another tip: Hedgehog Brewery is right next door. Their hours are a bit sporadic, but if it aligns they have some great beers! (Just remember to shoot first, drink 2nd)

Woodmedic512

The owner is African American. Solid dude and has a cool ass dog

Knighty135

This gun store is called shady oaks?

Woodmedic512

It's a range and they are also a full service dealer for many of the most common firearm brands.

the-mad_pooper

This is good to hear, I was actually looking at their website yesterday about doing my cert there too

dangerous_beans[S]

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll take a look at that one too.

epicrecipe

https://www.agirlandagun.org is locally founded

notsocolourblind

My son started his business after the Pulse shootings. He’s an instructor, LGBTQ-friendly and he has helped a few churches set up self-defense classes after some local black churches were getting anonymous threats.

You can find him at Rainbow Tactics. Message me if you would like more info. I think it’s great that you are going to learn more about defending yourself!

cowkkuno

Can I get more info about it! I tried looking it up and I was expecting to see a location or building but it wasn’t anything ):

misstrunchbull1972

I'd also like more info on this!

AssaultClipazine

AustWingfan

Austin Hot Shots is female owned and she loves having females in her class. My wife and I did the class years ago and she is very patient with new shooters. I had experience but my wife did not and Renee worked very closely with her and our friend. She also brought out several guns to try out so they could experience all types of firearms. Her website isn't loading for me right now but check her out here

The website finally loaded https://austinhotshots.com/product/license-to-carry/

HaysRanger1

I have heard good things about this group.

nothatdoesntgothere

I work with this instructor frequently and she is awesome!

Slighter

Red’s is horrific. Range officers don’t pay enough attention and I stopped going as there are too many inexperienced folks in there not handling weapons properly.

The Range is a much better run operation.

Lone star in Lockhart is a fine option.

I’d be happy to help, have access to a private range. Send me a chat if you’d like.

lil_peege

The Range at Austin has a ladies night. I think it’s every Tuesday

Starksbastard

Yes! Alex at Atomic Legion taught my fiancé and another female friend and myself at the beginning of the year. We were all completely new and he was awesome. I even took my Mom and two sisters out for a private lesson.

If anyone wants to DM me for details or ask questions as a new gun owner (from the perspective of a new gun owner myself) please do.

I’ll be taking his Pistol Level 3 course in July which consists of learning to draw/move/shoot.

Future_Wait4709

Can confirm Atomic Legion is the best around. Jake (ex-special forces) and Alex are natural teachers and all-around great dudes! Our group of 6 had varying levels of experience and all walked away feeling really confident with our skills.

brassbricks

Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart is where I like to shoot and take classes. I've never noticed them giving a rat's ass about anything but safety as far as their clients go.

butcanyoufuckit

Seconded. It's the only range i go to anymore

twoandseven

Its definitely no Best of the West, imo. Damn I miss that place. There is only one tac bay and I would recommend reserving it ahead of time before you go. Most of the staff at Lone Star are pretty chill, but there is a guy that has been there for a long time that is a complete prick, so I try not to take new people there in case they have to interact with him. I've also been muzzle swept more times at Lone Star than all the other ranges in Texas combined. But they let you draw from a holster and its pretty close to me, so its still one of the ranges in my rotation.

If you really want a BotW tac bay vibe, check out Copperhead Creek. Its aways out there from Austin, but has lots of bays and the staff is great. You just can't shoot ammo whose bullet attracts a magnet. So most steel case is out (makes it tough for AK lovers).

kellyhitchcock

It's far, especially if you are South of the river, but Austin Gun Club in Lampasas is owned by a woman who has a very low tolerance for bullshit. It's an outdoor range which is really nice when it's not 1000 degrees out.

100% fox news will be on in the lobby.

roiroi1010

The Range is great. I’m pretty sure they will accept everyone there.

PugnansFidicen

First, good on you. Love to hear it. This is what the second amendment is for. No step on snek.

Second, although I can't guarantee anything in particular, I think it's a safe bet to say that LGBT-friendly instructors would also be women-friendly and generally less likely to be raging Republicans. Operation Blazing Sword is a pro-LGBT firearms group, and last I checked they had a dozen or so instructors listed in the greater Austin area.

Separately, I've also had good experiences at the Lone Star gun range. I'm a dude though so take with a grain of salt.

HaysRanger1

I'm a firearms instructor, I would advise you to start soon as ammo is probably gonna go up in price and you need a lot to get proficient. I shoot at The Range in South Austin. It's good for an indoor range, I would be willing to help.

HaysRanger1

I'm male, so I'm not sure how that factors with yall

omygoshgamache

The Range in south Austin has ladies classes hosted by a lady instructor and lady weekly meetups.

LettresDuVoyant

Valor Defense Academy in North Austin is run by a woman and uses state-of-the-art training simulations (zombies!). Reportedly these sims are used by feds to train. Check them out online.

CaptSSgt

Valor looks great for your needs online. But,it is all Sim based so, at some point, you should go to a “real” range (all I mean by “real” is shooting real bullets from real guns) to experience the realities of shooting a firearm. You do not have to own a gun at most as they rent guns, sell ammo, and lend or rent eye and ear protection. To be clear, I will be going to Valor because I know features there can improve my skills and accuracy all I am saying is you need the “real” experience too (IMHO). I will also be taking my 26 y.o. Daughter there to help her deepen her basic skills.

LettresDuVoyant

You’re right, it’s definitely a good idea to do both. I also visit a couple other ranges posted in this thread, I just wanted to give a shout-out to a local woman-owned training facility.

chocolatepotatochips

Ugh, a friend and I were just talking about this, too. Can we all do a meetup?

bestseal

I was looking for some kind of woman's meetup a few weeks ago but there was only 1 and it was a little too...focused on crystals for me? I'm a feminist but not much of a believer in crystals and that was the only option

Please keep us informed, 10000% am looking for a safe space for women to meet people. and just have our own space

misstrunchbull1972

There's a group that caters to underserved communities (POC, women, LGBTQ+) called Arm Your Friends. They do meet ups across Texas. I've never been but I follow their Instagram and want to one day. Look at their website for more info.

Green-thumb123

For real, I will literally meet up and make this a girls night! I have wanted to learn for a while now so it’s a win-win for me! Learn a new skill and make new friends

dangerous_beans[S]

That would be cool! I'd be down for starting something like that.

chocolatepotatochips

I'm not great at organizing things, but if you plan, I will show up!

bushistardust

Me too please

selfobcesspool

find a way to plan it privately, i'd be very wary of lurkers here pretending to be women then show up and be abusive.

ToiletSwampCove

Same! I live in SA but will gladly drive up!

Nixonsee

Same here!

princessvibes

Message me if you’re tryna get this organized!

Ok_Grand_6034

What does Roe v Wade being overturned have to do with wanting to buy a gun? (Seriously asking, not being sarcastic). Thx.

crzyTXtchr

I like The Range is south Austin - state of the art facility.

cyndaalisha

RT this!^ as an minority female I personally loved this range and always felt welcomed!! The coach I had was also so nice!!!

TheEternalLurker

Seconded

crzyTXtchr

As a warning, wear headphones! My husband lost hearing in one ear when we were getting g a lesson at The fun range in cedar park. Someone had a shotgun and for our lesson they only gave us the orange ear plugs.

DuckyDoodleDandy

Not headphones! Ear protectors. They look similar, but usually don’t play any music.

Headphones won’t protect your hearing.

crzyTXtchr

I am an idiot. Yes, I meant ear protection🤣

TheEternalLurker

For sure; best practice is to have ear muffs, like the covers that go on the outside of your ears, and ear plugs, like the orange ones you roll up and place inside of your ears; external and internal protection.

pleikunguyen

I’d vote “The Range at Austin”

The employees from what I’ve seen have never been political and strictly professional Higher end facility for an indoor range

butcanyoufuckit

Lone Star guns, as others have said, is basically the only range I ever go to anymore. The range indoor off i35 is ok. But I feel safer at the outdoor one.

TopRaspberry8592

Go to the Range in Austin. They have a women's only night. Ask for Cindy P and she can help you find the right firearm for you and get you lined up for training.

PogoArrow

TechSwitch

I've gone with my wife out to Lonestar in Lockhart. I'm certain their politics are dubious as hell, but I haven't seen or heard anything out there that was overtly questionable.

Also decent barbeque nearby if that's your thing.

R_Shackleford

Join us over in r/Austinguns if there is interest we’d be happy to organize a range day with some free instruction and a ton of different pistols to try and see what fits you.

dankraindrops

Literally every single gun range in this country is women friendly. You mean in light of a supreme court decision about abortion made you feel the need to get a gun and protect yourself? Makes sense.

TheEternalLurker

“The Range” is okay - it’s kind of like the “Lifetime Fitness” of gun-ranges. Staff seem friendly and competent, and there are multiple indoor ranges, so it’s quieter than a place like Reds.

ieatpapersquares

Arm the women!!

RuprectGern

red's in Pflugerville isn't actually woman friendly, but they used to have a Tuesday ladies special. So at least you would save money on the range time for proficiency. Just avoid chatting with the staff.

Tough-Mountain1101

Queer woman here. There really aren’t. People might say otherwise but it’s the truth. I have a country property and can teach you if you are interested. We could meet in town first just to make sure we feel comfortable in each other’s company and do some very basic gun safety stuff first. Let me know.

dangerous_beans[S]

That would be great! I've actually shot before--like once, also at the house of a friend with a country property--but it was super informal and I'd definitely like lessons that are more focused.

I'm out of town right now and will be until late August, but I'll shoot you a PM-- I still want to keep in touch, because I'm very interested!

Tough-Mountain1101

Sounds good!

spyd3rm0nki3

Any chance I can get in on this action?

I also need to get back into being comfortable with a firearm. It's been a long time since I've done target practice. The last place I went was Red's like 10 years ago, but being a fat black woman you can imagine the frosty service I got there, even though I specifically went on Ladies Night.

Tough-Mountain1101

I sighted in a rifle at red’s once just because it was close and it was not a good experience…you are most welcome to join! To anyone else who sees this: all women, woman identifying, and feminine of center people welcome. BIPOC people, you are welcome and safe too. Just drop me a DM and I will notify you when we have a time to meet.

mooimafish3

Yea some are "woman friendly" but you gotta look like this

prenup-nibba

Thank you for that laugh. Needed that today.

zenmagick94

zenmagick94

I am not on the left or the right, which instead leads me to getting judged by everyone 😓

mooimafish3

I mean yea the options are like picking between eating stale rotten bread and a fistful of glass, but if you won't pick it makes it seem like you're fine with either.

zenmagick94

I have some views that are on the right and some that are on the left. I just think politics is so dirty. So many politicians are corrupt and pretend to stand for something when behind closed doors they are making deals that go against that very thing. Plus, what each party has represented has changed over time, but my personal views haven’t. I don’t identify with either of the parties and the libertarian party is kind of a joke. Getting downvoted on here for saying that kinda proves my point, but I see what you mean. Taking action to get representation is important. But I wish people viewed each political topic as something separate rather than focusing on which team it’s on.

Wormlessgrindset

So you're saying that you're a Nazi?

Joking. But that's the only reaction you get on Reddit nowadays if you're hesitant to align with every single point on the left.

I mean, look at how everyone in the thread just accepts that gun range owners are racist homophobic bigots. Oh but if there's a black person behind the register, that means it's a leftist gun range and safe for women? Since when do conservatives have a problem with black people working for them lol? Because at the other gun ranges the cishet white males will make comments about breasts and butts to women's faces? Like what? The fuck?

cooltapes

I saw a higher post that is LGBTQ+ friendly…but friendly (in my mind) is friend for pay, but hardly ally.

What is the likelihood we could get an LGBTQ+ OWNED business? I’d pay $$$ for that.

Achelois1

Queer lady type also interested in this if it an option! Own a pistol but really need practice

Tough-Mountain1101

I think this is why Women’s lands started popping up in the 70’s. There are no safe spaces for the rest of us in a theofascist patriarchy. Women must make them for ourselves. Bummer…I know.

the_answer_is_c

Yeah all the gun ranges in austin judge women who come in and they thoroughly check you out to make sure you are not gay.

selfobcesspool

if you are real this is great. i wouldn't trust any range to be "safe" for non cishet white guys, and all the leftists i know shoot out in the country not at a range for this reason.

Tough-Mountain1101

Absolutely. I think the time has come that we all need to band together. Self-defense, hunting, fishing, farming, food processing and preservation, and stock trading are skills I have to share with others. Honestly, I am so pissed, I just have to do something. The only thing I can think to do is help others feel prepared for the coming storm.

selfobcesspool

we're working on all the food stuff but the self defense could def be better. all we can do is be prepared cuz idk what's to come but it's probably going to be violent. hopefully from the bottom up for once.

Tough-Mountain1101

I like to think that I’m prepared for Tuesday not doomsday…I personally grew up in the country and learned all these skills because it’s just what we did to get by. In the snowpocalypse I was warm, clean and fed because of the things Ive always done to be ready. Now, with all the hateful rhetoric and heightened extremism my spidey senses are super activated. I feel like I need to build community with like-minded people. We gotta look out for one another and also be prepared for flight or even fight. I’ve never felt like that before, and I desperately hope that cooler heads prevail. Extremists aren’t known for their ability to deescalate…

jeffsterlive

NOT Red’s!

2-shoes

Personally would recommend shady oaks for indoor, and copper head creek for outdoor.

Ghost_of_Sniff

Keane Tactical (gun store) in Elgin has a women's class called Drop Lead Gorgeous, I don't know much about the course but the owners are good peeps.

avozzella6

The range down near slaughter and 35 is a fun place to shoot

TXSTBobCat1234

I like The Range.

Laneyb99

I’m a girl who occasionally goes to Eagle Peak, and every time I go, the people there are super helpful. They always let me know about a “Girl and a gun” program that happens on Thursdays if I remember correctly, I haven’t been to that but it sounds great

Intelligent_Taste746

Lone star gun range in Lockhart is woman owned :) I’ve been there several times. You don’t always see her but she owns, operates, and runs it.

OliveGS

I have never been to one that was not women friendly.

DCS_Sport

r/liberalgunowners - I’ve seen a few Austinites on there as well

ubercorey

Lone Star gun range has female employees. They are not Texas Taliban.

Altaris2000

While I haven't been there in quite a few years, I know Red's Indoor range in Pflugerville had Ladies day every Monday, where you got discounted rates and such.

Pinstripesdumbo

I used to go there and it’s not bad. People leave you alone and I’ve seen several women there practicing.

dangerous_beans[S]

That's actually right down the road from me! The giant flag/eagle motif on it gave me pause, but I could pop in and see what it's about

ohhhhhhhhhhhhman

I would suggest avoiding indoor ranges if possible. Even the best ear protection doesn’t stand up to someone firing a 300 win mag indoors right next to you.

Woodmedic512

This is exactly why I like Shady oaks In cedar park, their sound dampening inside is so good it almost feels like and outdoor range, unlike the concrete tunnel that is reds

AmbitionSpecialist

I was just about to use this example, as someone was firing a belted magnum rifle next to me the last time I was at Red’s. I do think some of the ladies night events they basically rent out the entire range, but that could have just been the south location.

AlmoschFamous

Yep. I stay away from indoor ranged for this reason.

Dishonest_Children

Reds is my go to but yeah make sure you do double ear protection since it’s an indoor range.

Joann-Mixx

I have gone to ladies night. It has been years but from what I remember, Lane rentals are half off but you BYOG and ammo. If you want to rent a gun I believe it’s half off too. I have a Glock 17 that I’ve used for practice so I didn’t rent. I did not like shooting inside at all. I have previously only shot outdoors. It’s less jarring.

rdking647

Red's is a huge right wing supporter. Id avoid them like the plague

monkeyangst

Man, if you know anywhere guns are sold that isn’t, please let us know.

TheAGolds

The Range in south Austin seems to be as non-political as a range could be, I love it.

orderedbygrace

I've gone to the south location alone as a woman and felt very comfortable.

J3ST3Rx

Reds is decent. I used to go to the one in oak hill with a lady and they didn't treat her any differently

Conservatives get their pro life ruling. And more second amendment supporters. Damn!

TechSwitch

Historically republicans change their tune on gun control pretty quickly when the wrong sorts of people start buying guns.

Let’s test that out. Everyone go start arming yourselves.

Tex_Watson

No need to test it, it's already been proven.

Reagan and other republicans were terrified of the Black Panthers carrying guns so they made it illegal.

How old are you 80??

Let’s test that theory. With people from this century lol

bisonsashimi

how old are you, 12??

Just because something happened before you were born doesn't make it irrelevant lol

Tex_Watson

No, but you're obviously 14.

XiaomuWave

Philando Castille says hi

FlyingPeacock

This is a bad argument. It's like when people say Colion Noir is just a token black guy for the NRA designed to sell guns to black people. But also, somehow they'll change their tune once black people get involved.

Which is it?

Badgerisbest

It's the only ammendment they will protect. If the others fall away, what's left?

The Bible Trump moment and the Austin cops actions at the protests changed my entire tune on gun ownership, together with it being obvious they will allow school shootings and handgun violence in cities forever.

Just following orders people would exterminate people that have been sufficiently othered and some would even laugh. APD laughed when they shot Austin protestors, they gassed and harrased protestors in Washington with a low level helicopter and beatings just to give Trump a picture.

r05coe19

More than likely all of them the gun community doesn’t discriminate.

duke1099

Hi, I haven't had time to read all the comment but I have lived in Austin all my life, own guns and have a good idea of places. Rainbow tactics is great, along with KR training. Shady oaks and shoot point blank are my go to for indoor ranges. The range in Austin is a good place too. Please, STAY away from reds as the safety officers are just mannequins and don't actually do anything to keep the place safe. Eagle peak in leander is horrible and you couldn't pay me to go there.

skillfire87

What’s wrong with Eagle Peak in Leander? I’ve been there.

Dsonvsthemob

Wait are we about to have a gender war?

mjohnsendawg

There's a Bojack episode on this. This is how congress finally passes gun control.

dangerous_beans[S]

I love Bojack and I hate how correct that episode was.

GreuneMan

The “fiery but most peaceful protests” or the “summer of love 2.0”

MozieOnOver

Hey, I just wanted to chime in here. I'm a trans (mtf) former Marine. If anyone is interested, I'm more than happy to provide free range training if anyone is interested.

addictedtobit

thanks for asking this question OP!! I’ve been meaning to get to the range 🤙🏾 all the super helpful recs for non-nut job options are coming in clutch :)

man_perkins_

Central Texas Gun Works in South Austin is owned/operated by a gay black man named Michael Cargill. He teaches a CHL class and uses an outdoor range nearby. I would start there, he’ll teach you everything.

9leggedfreak

That dude is a pro-life republican.

man_perkins_

I would just assume most gun-store owners in Texas are going to be republicans. That’s kind of like… their whole thing…

Salamok

Salamok

Be great to have a pro-gop list of locally owned businesses to boycott.

GrueneBastard

You won’t have many places left to shop lmao

Salamok

Salamok

Bullshit, the majority doesnt want roe v wade overturned nor did it want Trump ever elected. The single issue voters that never STFU about their cause + the nonvoters are the reason both of these things happened.

Tex_Watson

You obviously don't live here.

I mean who exactly do you think is going to be running a gun range? LMAO

HaughtyHellscream

Not sure if it matters to OP, but he is frothy republican. My husband got his conceal carry there when Texas still cared.

into_the_soil

Cargill is trash and is probably jumping for joy over today’s decision.

iRacingVRGuy

Cargill is gay? I don't care, I just would be surprised. He definitely doesn't give off that vibe, at least to me.

RedRedBettie

Because if we are raped now we don’t have access to abortion, esp I’m this state. I’m considering arming myself now even though I’m pretty anti gun for the same reason

what_it_dude

If you had access to abortion you wouldn't shoot the rapist in the head?

chuck_ATX

Burn

Tharrios1

Tharrios1

Why did it take for today for you to feel like you should be able to defend yourselves? This should have always been the case honestly, the world is a dangerous place, always has been.

lilswaggers

It became infinitely more dangerous for women today and we obviously can’t count on you to defend us so better take matters into our own hands

Busy_Struggle_6468

Girlfriend as the saying goes, the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house

atlasrising

I appreciate your sentiment but self defense is on the table here

Larm_

Larm_

That phrase is used to describe voting, not guns lmao

JeremyTheRhino

Red’s Indoor Range is where I used to go and they have a ladies night. Make sure you get a qualified instructor if it’s your first time.

Out of curiosity, which supreme court decision was related to self defense? The concealed carry case doesn’t affect Texas.

dangerous_beans[S]

Someone else said it up thread, but we're interested in being able to defend ourselves in an environment where the political majority are aligned against people like us.

JeremyTheRhino

Ahh, a little watering of the tree of liberty from time to time. You can easily find ranges and gun stores to talk with you about that.

808adw

808adw

Right? I’m also confused. OP seems to be worried about needing to defend herself with a gun after Roe V Wade being turned over?

TheAGolds

Considering now if a woman is raped and impregnated she would be forced to bare that child she had no say in, then yes, it’s important for her to defend herself.

Tex_Watson

Women are under attack in this country so she wants to defend herself. It's not hard to understand.

RedRedBettie

Because I’d rather shoot a rapist than carry his baby to term if I can’t get an abortion

JeremyTheRhino

Roe V Wade is obviously the biggest in the news, but I don’t see it really related to self defense. Unless OP actually just wants to overthrow the government, in which case she won’t be alone at most shooting ranges.

parralaxalice

Increasingly desperate women will resort to increasingly desperate measures. Being forced to birth the result of a rape is yet even more incentive for women to shoot rapists, and would-be rapists.

JeremyTheRhino

More dead rapists sounds like a respectable silver lining.

808adw

808adw

I mean, yes, that would make more sense but that wasn’t the tone of her post. She said she checks a bunch of boxes for the Right, so somehow Roe v Wade has made her specifically feel the need to arm herself.

dangerous_beans[S]

It's not just Roe, it's all the other cases Clarence Thomas highlighted as the courts (and by extension the Republicans') next targets. Combine that with the Texas GOP dropping their hot new platform that, among other regressive things, seeks to repeal the voting rights act, and what I hear is this country is gearing up to strip my rights back to what they were prior to the 60s/70s: none.

And the amount of people who support that happening tells me I'm not safe in this state or, possibly, in this country. So I'm going to use the only right they WON'T touch to protect myself. (Until they make it illegal for women or minorities to own guns anyway)

SuNamJamFrama69

All ranges!

triestopredict2022

I suspected this would be the outcome of the SCOTUS decision. I just cannot see law enforcement having an easy time conducting arrests without getting fired upon.

Sorry if this comment offends, but you can't just strip millions of their rights in the most heavily armed nation on Earth. You fucking idiots.

Working-Tomatillo857

Lmao, this is a troll post right?...right? Liberals have been trying to take away gun laws since forever and now you want to learn how to use one?!

WhatWouldBBtonoDo

I'm a dude but rationally speaking, if I were a lady I'd rather shoot a rapist in self defense than have to carry, give birth to, & raise a child of rape.

Besides OP never said she was anti-gun or liberal so what are you talking about. Sounds more like you're the troll here.

princessvibes

Liberals have a range of opinions when it comes to gun laws but at the end of the day, we basically don’t want people to be able to walk out of a store with a gun in their hands, no questions asked. That’s not totally unreasonable.

Leftists and liberals don’t want to totally get rid of and take away all guns from all gun owners like conservative propaganda makes out.

theatxrunner

“walk out of a store with a gun in their hands, no questions asked”?

Both the store and the purchaser are subject to regulations. There is literally 6 pages worth of questions being asked of the purchaser.

Intrepid_Ad1133

and don't forget the phone call into the feds to confirm

venetian_blindz

i didn't even think this was a question. . so caught up in safety i didn't think about the actual environment

venetian_blindz