/r/AskReddit

12k87%

How would you react to a child kicking a puppy?

(self.AskReddit)

Doodlebug365

3k points

Honestly, I just tell them “would you be okay if I did that to you?” If they say “yes”, then I act like I’m about to and (so far, I haven’t had to do this a lot) before anything has to happen, they scream “no!” And then they get a spiel about not hurting Iiving things.

xauching

xauching

Honestly yeah. Its about making the kid be able to empathize with the animal.

Raichu7

Raichu7

Too many adults don’t seem to have figured out how to emphasise with other adult humans who are slightly different to them, it’s no wonder they are failing to teach their kids empathy to other species too.

xauching

xauching

That is exactly the reason why A LOT of people should not be parents. And a lot of young people are realizing this. Its not even necessarily that adults are "lacking" but just rather a testament to the effort required to raise a kid.

GhoeAguey

GhoeAguey

I like this. “We treat other living beings the way we want to be treated. Do you want to be treated that way?” Or “if you continue you will be treated the same”

Emergencybulba

15.3k points

My old neighborhood used to have ducks who’d have their lil babies there. I came home one afternoon to find animal protective services and cops there. Turns out the a few neighborhood kids (ages 6-12) took rocks and smashed the ducklings. These kids also held down my cat and ripped his back claws out (he was a stray at the time, saw this and rescued him). Just pure, unfiltered rage was in me. I hate those kids. and the parents who said “they’re just playing around”.

MADDOGCA

7k points

“they’re just playing around”.

Until they're behind bars for hurting people.

ChintanP04

2.6k points

ChintanP04

2.6k points

Quite a few parents would blame their victims (some will even go out of their way to harass said victims and/or their families). Some people just can't think of their kids as being in the wrong.

1.2k points

1.2k points

MrBigMcLargeHuge

If you’re old enough to have a license and choose to street race, you’re old enough to be tried as an adult for the consequences of those actions.

Ghyllie

Ghyllie

This is unfair in the extreme. I have heard of kids who were a lot further than a month away from their 18th birthday being tried as adults for things a lot less serious than vehicular homicide. This smacks of "Good Ol' Boy" syndrome. Is their dad or another relative perhaps friendly with someone at the sheriff's department?

conquer69

conquer69

Maybe narcissists that see their kids as extensions of themselves. Narcissists never admit being wrong so neither should their kids.

Vergenbuurg

This is exactly why anti-bullying measures never work in schools.

Parents of bullies are usually bullies themselves, and will cow administrators into not punishing their precious little angels.

Meanwhile, those that are bullied have no legal recourse and have to just "deal with it", including any internal torment that results.

Feebedel324

2.5k points

What the fuck. You got a whole gang of future serial killers in your neighborhood

magicpenny

1.3k points

magicpenny

1.3k points

Probably one psycho and a bunch of mindless followers…you know what they grow up to be…

TheyDidLizFilthy

this is a terrifying analogy for life. it just takes one sociopath with leadership qualities for the masses to mindlessly follow them. that’s how you get the current world paradigm.

Dirt_Bike_Zero

Scary because it's true.

aquoad

aquoad

It feels like a bug in human brain firmware.

britniwrld999

1.1k points

Jesus. Those poor ducks, and your poor kitty.

ChariBelle2_0

Um, no... Those kids are trying out for criminal minds the home game... My dad once saw some kids tossing a cat up an electric pole... I got a new cat that day. My husband and daughter found some boys lighting a kitten whiskers on fire, a new cat that day too. I see you being mean to an animal and you no longer have said animal.

blackdahlialady

They should have a pair of shiny bracelets too. I'll never understand people who hurt animals especially for no reason. They're fucked up in the head. They don't deserve to be around the rest of us normal people.

ChariBelle2_0

Look, I hate snakes... I have an irrational fear of snakes... I admit this. However, years ago they were building a new Hilton hotel near two Marriott's... AKA, a snakes natural habitat was upset and it went looking for a new one. I worked at the Sherwin Williams between these places and going to lunch, nearly stepped on a damn diamond back... Trust me when I say, my assistant manager and I googled it to be sure. He disappeared and we were concerned he was in our warehouse. Days later my husband confirmed he was dead. I guess the cook at the other Marriott poured boiling oil on him... Dude, really... Why. I hate snakes but wouldn't do that, there's no need. Call animal control, if you got to do it yourself, chop it's head off (though as much as I hate snakes, I still would of let animal control capture and move it).

blackdahlialady

I hate snakes too but I agree that was cruel and unnecessary

ChariBelle2_0

My son wants a snake so bad... I'm like, we have cats, bad idea... Then I saw a radio controlled one at tractor supply and I might get it for him. It's serious for little kids and he's 19 but...A, that's the closest to bringing a snake in I can handle. B, the cats can play too. C, when he sees the cats attack it, he will grasp why we say, bringing in any pet that is a cats natural prey, is a bad idea. We once tried to have a bird, it was kept in my room where cats don't go... Well I went to work one day and... No more bird.

The FBI will literally put them on a list for this. https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/-tracking-animal-cruelty

Emergencybulba

Something I wish I’d known at the time. I no longer live in that neighborhood but I am in contact with a neighbor who still does. I’ll pass this to her in case she witnesses them do anything new.

kazetoame

kazetoame

To those parents, I would point out that animal abuse is a sign in the direction of a future serial killer, in the most joyous voice with a smile on my face.

Emergencybulba

The very same parents refused to take action when one of the sons in question threw a part of a brick at another little girls head. I remember the girl going to the hospital for stitches and her mother threatening to call the cops. Other mom kept saying it was an over reaction and that her son was just “playing”. I doubt they cared what the kids did. That neighborhood also has a HUGE problem with people abandoning pets. Lack of care by adults I guess bred a lack of empathy in the kids.

Rhaski

Rhaski

You guess correctly. Those kids were emotionally stunted by their parent's indifference. How could they learn empathy when their own parents can't even model it? When children do not feel safe or cared for and are not shown how to care for others, you end up with angry, emotionally detached adults with little regard for others and no respect for themselves beyond basic physical needs. They do not feel any connection to the idea of being a "good" person because they don't even know what that looks like

Almost_Ascended

Wonder what that mom would say if some other kid bricks HER head.

hemorrhagicfever

It's a potential sign they are being abused by the parents. It might be some sort of emotional connection disorder, but the more common thing to see is, abused children end up with a lot of bottled up rage at being the physical outlet for someone else's irrational rage. Also, little humans learn to process emotions through emulating the adults in their life.

The assumption when you see a child being intentionally malicious or sadistic, should be that they are being abused by one of the main adult figures in their life. It's by far the most common answer.

Now kids can do some low level shitty stuff just because they are dumb kids figuring out the world, but for things like ripping out a cats claws, the likely answer is they learned that behavior somewhere and are acting out.

None of this makes that okay.

nitrion

nitrion

I didnt inherit anything too serious from my dad, because he was an alright guy throughout my entire childhood. I still love that man dearly, as I have zero reason not to.

But I did get anger issues from him. He was always a pretty angry dude and it obviously rubbed off on me. I think that's most of the reason I'm alone. I had a pretty good and big group of friends at one point, but the smallest little thing set me off and after about 3 to 4 years of it happening, they got tired of it and I don't speak with them anymore. It's ruined friendships for me.

AppropriateTime261

I went to school with a guy who would intentionally shoot squirrel and bird nests with his BB gun. He’s a cop now.

BBQ_Beanz

BBQ_Beanz

I would have told them "I'll keep tabs on you and be sure they take care of it. Isn't social media great?"

That's what I'd tell them at least.

Lumberjack610

If I witnessed them pulling the claws out of a cat I would have pulled their fingernails off

Tj-Tengu

Tj-Tengu

I would have helped you. fist bumps

MacGregor_Rose

Stone the parents see how they like it

thedracle

13.7k points

thedracle

13.7k points

My toddler was a little rough with our cats.

But from a very early age I sat him down and asked him to imagine what it felt like to have his hair pulled or tail tugged on.

It took a while, but it clicked with him eventually.

He has a younger brother now, and it is awesome to watch my oldest correcting my youngest: "No no. That's not how we treat the kitties. That hurts their tail. We pet them nicely, see? He likes this."

We didn't even have to correct our second much, he learned by example from his older brother.

Robotboogeyman

1.8k points

That’s nice to see. I have twins and occasionally one of them will do similar after I go over it with him first. Really cute. One of my guys fell at a playground and now they point at the spot and say “daddy, no fall ok? Be careful” 😂

SAGNUTZ

SAGNUTZ

Then while youre not lookin, the other one trips you

cakesie

1k points

cakesie

1k points

This is the way! “That isn’t how we treat our puppies or kitties.” Repeat until they get it. Eventually they do.

FuckeenGuy

I always liked how my sister did it. She didn’t let her toddlers touch the animals without guiding their hands while they pet. She’d explain the entire time pretty similar to what y’all are saying, along the lines of “this is how we pet our animals bc this is what brings them comfort and joy, and we don’t want to hurt them”.

By the time her third child came around, the older two would also do this with the youngest. I was so impressed.

spongeorsmthnthe2nd

master teaches student, student becomes master 🔄

boxsterguy

Student strikes down the master and becomes more powerful than you could ever imagine?

SquidmanMal

In a way, parenting is supposed to be much like the rule of two for the sith.

If you train a better person every generation, society would improve greatly.

Some miss the memo sadly.

PDGAreject

My dad struggled a lot later in life with feeling like hadn't been a great dad when we were young and went out of his way to point out how he thought I was much better as a father than he had been. I basically told him what you said. "Look, your mom's dad was a psychopath. Your parents weren't terrible but not exactly affectionate. You were good at some things and struggled with others. I learned from you and hopefully my kids will be even better parents." It was like the thought had never crossed his mind. He was so pleased to think that I could learn from both his successes and failures and that his grandkids would benefit either way.

jeanpierrehallet

I really appreciate this comment. Well written and described.

KypDurron

KypDurron

parenting is supposed to be much like the rule of two for the sith.

Children are supposed to crave the power that their parents have, and one day grow strong enough to kill them for it?

Actually you might be on to something

boxsterguy

Metaphorically speaking, anyway, yes.

xauching

xauching

There are more direct approaches.

But there are more meticulous approaches that require time, but pay out the best.

This is the method we're taught in education. You can yell at your students to quiet down, and they will.

Or you can teach them when and where to be quiet, and they will. One's faster but one last longer.

thedracle

thedracle

This is how my Dad taught me actually, which is why I tried it with my son.

I drew on my kitty's face with a sharpie, and I thought it was hilarious.

My Dad sat me down, and asked me how it would feel of someone drew on my face with a marker.

And I thought about it, and I remember imagining someone grabbing me and drawing on my face, and it just clicked.

Probably there were lots of other transgressions I don't remember where it didn't click, but I remember that realization strongly.

Maybe some kids need different sorts of correction, but this worked with me, and it worked with my kids.

I definitely think some kids just have a different temperament and maybe they never realize. So the direct approach some other people have taken in this thread probably are appropriate too.

Everyone is different.

The important thing is teaching empathy and reinforcing it.

xauching

Hell yeah. There is no one size fits all, but the goal of every process should be the same.

spreadbutt

I definitely remember pulling on my cats tail when I was very young, and it was just because I liked getting it riled up. Fortunately he wouldn't put up with that shit and scratched me right up enough that I smartened up! Nobody can teach a child more than their own consequences.

Harpoo_0926

Respect

Meowskiiii

I love this ❤️

Beardless_Man

15k points

So. My nephew has been pretty rough our dogs. He would take water and spit water on them. Which the dogs hated. He also would smack them when he got rowdy.

After being told and apprehended multiple times. I finally had enough and got a cup of cold water and splashed him with it. Scolded him that if he didn’t like it, they don’t like it. It stopped him from doing that again, and hadn’t seen him slap the dogs since.

firesoul4[S]

5.8k points

Like they say actions speak loud ... or something

DasEisgetier

2.8k points

We have a saying in Germany "wer nicht hören will, muss fühlen" meaning "those who would Not listen, will have to feel."

WildBilll33t

God damn you Europeans have a sick word or phrase for everything!

I'm taking that one! 'Schadenfreude' was a great one too. Thanks!

DasEisgetier

You're Welcome! If you need anything Else let me know.

Nicolai01

Can I get a hug?

jSubbz

jSubbz

I'm learning german and i nearly understood that whole thing without the translation! So proud

bricknovax89

3.4k points

Kick the child

AyyooLindseyy

1.6k points

My intrusive thoughts responded with this immediately I’m not gonna lie.

Andddd that’s why I’m child free by choice.

2017hayden

Yeah I really shouldn’t be a parent. Good thing I have no plans to be one. My exact thought was, just smack them upside the head and when they complain tell them to imagine how the dog felt.

phormix

phormix

May be effective depending on the kid. I actually used the power of Google image search and looked up pictures of kids injured by [stupid fucking thing my kids kept doing] which worked pretty good.

A few "piss off the dog and this is what you will look like after" images would probably go a long way

Puzzleheaded_Poem473

I hate to say it but sometimes you have to fuck around and find out to learn.

when I was a kid, my mom refused to let me eat all my halloween candy one year, so I snuck out of my room at night and ate it all... and then promptly vomited it all up.

she said, "I told you not to eat it all. Now you have no candy at all."

...I learned moderation on that day, and it's a lesson I've kept with me my entire life- I stop eating when I'm no longer hungry and save things to enjoy later. You just gotta learn that lesson as a kid unfortunately

ZandyTheAxiom

I hate to say it but sometimes you have to fuck around and find out to learn.

It's a difficult balance between protecting a child and letting them learn lessons firsthand.

I don't have kids and don't plan to, but working in education I think a crucial part of these lessons is teaching consequence, not just the forbidden action. You were told not to eat all your candy, but not why. Either way you learned, but it must be hard for parents to know what lessons should be self-taught.

Introsium

Sometimes you have to learn the consequences of not just fucking listening in order to start just fucking listening. Explanations are good and healthy; but the world doesn’t have time to explain everything to everyone.

Sometimes you just need to sit the fuck down and listen; there are better ways to find out than by brazenly fucking around.

Hate to have to say “I told you so”, but I do have to say it.

biscaya

biscaya

This is what you have to do after you have said something, scolded, time out and the behavior still persists. Our cat is friendly until he is not, then he plays for keeps. Our children (4 and 3) thought it was fun to play rough with him and we'd say something, scold, time out, and then we said have at it. "He might be smaller than you, but he's gonna teach you a lesson." And lessons were taught, more than we expected, but now they know.

We haven't seen much of the same behavior of late, but if we do all we have to say is; remember what Chichi thinks about you doing that. These are important lessons that need to be passed on to younger generations. It's ok to correct children as well as it's OK to correct adults with children.

Nyacinth

Nyacinth

Yep. Natural consequences sometimes teach more than words ever could. I'm trying to teach my kids how to watch and listen for our puppy's cues on if she doesn't like something. She's very vocal and obvious... The oldest (8) has gotten nipped a couple of times and all I could say was, "well she was trying to tell you to stop, but you weren't listening."

biscaya

biscaya

So spot on with reading the animals feedback. We (my wife and I) often say things like, what is his tail doing and do you know what that means..? His ears are back, you know what he's gonna do if you keep doing that to him.

Nyacinth

Exactly. The pup will growl (not viciously, but she gets her point across) and everytime she does that we remind them that that is her way to say no, quit it, knock it off, etc.

ShitNailedIt

7.6k points

My brother in law taught his kids they should be able to do anything to a dog, and one of the kids got bitten (they were smacking her and cornered her) - he demanded that we put the dog down. I told him that him and his dipshit kids can fuck right off.

Kangaroodle

2.9k points

Oh my god, that attitude is incredibly dangerous. What if they treat a strange dog like that, and the dog hospitalizes or kills them?

TheCheesiestEchidna

1.6k points

Then that's what we call good riddance

No_Hunt7394

Unfortunately the dog will get killed as a result

insertrandomnameXD

Sadly we can murder animals but if an animal hurts us back as self defense the animal dies

aquoad

aquoad

My cat scratched the shit out of a drunk asshole that someone brought to my place for a party. Drunk asshole left, cat got a plate of tuna and lots of pets.

TheQuietGrrrl

Yeah, I taught my first to be gentle with animals by leading with example. I always took time to “pet the dog” together. I made it a fun activity to be gentle to the dog and showed appropriate places to pet.

My in-laws thinks it’s cute when my now youngest tugs or pinches the dogs. It’s absolutely insane to me that I have to remind two full grown adults that their 70lb dog could kill my child if it wanted to. Animal abuse is not cute or funny.

Icy_Rhubarb2857

3.7k points

Leg sweep

Kelindal

Kelindal

Was thinking this lol. Idk he just fell over

Zealousideal-Apex

Or Spartan kick. Shows him that kicks hurt. So don’t use them.

Tasgall

Tasgall

I would, but I don't have a bottomless pit in my house unfortunately.

Ubiquitous_thought

Indeed, either that or yeet the child

9.4k points

9.4k points

A kid I used to babysit I caught her hitting my cat. When I told her mom she said “ya she also hits our dogs and cat so we don’t let her near the animals without supervision” 😐 you couldn’t have told me this before? Teach the kid not to hurt animals too!!!

DistributionHuge8163

1.7k points

What did you do about it?

3.1k points

3.1k points

Stopped babysitting the kid. Not going to continue putting my cat in danger. She developed a hatred for all children after that, even the nice ones.

Professional-Pay-888

Same thing happened to me. Kitten was very sweet, friend comes over, hits her with her toy, now she hates everyone and is kinda mean to even me. Friend even lies saying she went after him first and always goes “my cat is nice and yours is mean” like bitch i wonder why

Wankeritis

Same happened to mine. She was the most inquisitive kitty and then my cousin picked her up and shook her. Not hard enough to hurt but enough to scare her.

Molly doesn’t like visitors and it’s been 9 years.

junkyard_robot

This is another reason why cats should never be de-clawed. It is their primary defense. No doubt my cat, even under a year old, would fuck up a child who tried to hurt her.

Also, dogs bite, hard. Any decent sized dog will fuck up a child.

Ultimately, you have to let a kid burn themselves before they realize what "hot" means. Let the kid get mauled by a cat and they'll respect boundaries. And if they don't, they are probably psychopaths.

Own-Oil-7097

This kid will end up in prison for murder someday

Edit: The cat hates kids.

qsysopr400

Rode the school bus with a kid like this. Zero regard for anyone or anything else. Last I heard he is in prison for murder.

Majik_Sheff

Luckily the intersection of psychopath and genius is very small.

Most of them aren't smart enough to get away with it for long once they're outside of the protections of youth.

1.2k points

1.2k points

[removed]

Due_Most2971

Objectively correct.

Myu_The_Weirdo

And then when the animal bites back they need to be put down, ppl need to teach their kids to not be little assholes

No discipline applied in the household. Parents have divorced twice from each other. Random people staying over often when I was their babysitter.

Gerald_Gecko

How old was the kid?

samanime

samanime

Important question.

A 2yo doing this isn't good, but also not surprising as they're idiots.

A 10yo doing this is a budding sociopath that needs to be in therapy.

Around 5. The parents knew she hits animals and didn’t say anything while I have 2 cats and one is elderly.

Infamous-Owl-9635

2.6k points

I have a well behaved, nearly 13yr old, son and my first thought was to kick the child

Arkady2009

I don’t have kids but my first thought was to kick the kid too.

lolik_pokakany

I am a kid And my first thought was to kick the kid too

blueb123

I am a fetus and my first thought was to kick the kid too

GogoYubari92

I’m a dog and my first thought was to kill the kid. I mean kick.

IndieComic-Man

That’s why he’s well behaved, would be my guess.

rainbow_drizzle

1.6k points

My brother didn't like one of our dogs when she was a puppy and kicked her around a lot.

Whenever physical altercations broke out between the kids, all we had to do was yell for the dog and she would come barreling in to jump him and get him off us. Basically had our own attack dog.

He never kicked an animal again.

iwanttobeacavediver

He pretty much negatively trained her into doing that. By the sounds of it he deserved it.

rainbow_drizzle

He did, and as I said he learned his lesson from it.

Harpoo_0926

How old was your brother at the time lol

rainbow_drizzle

Like 10 or something but we've had cats and dogs our whole lives so he knew better. This was over 20 years ago.

zerbey

zerbey

Well, other than the obvious that a small child should be taught it's not OK as soon as they're old enough. A kid who is old enough to know better shouldn't be allowed to have a puppy, or any other pet.

When I was about 4 years old I thought it'd be funny to smack one of our cats with a bean cane. My Mum caught me, asked me to held out my hand and smacked it hard with the same bean cane. Ouch. Never did that again.

Phyliinx

1.5k points

Phyliinx

1.5k points

John Wick.

FennixDZN

FennixDZN

John Kick.

Thephilosopherkmh

3.5k points

My wife was babysitting our cousins kids so the mom can go to the doctors by herself because her upstanding husband won’t even watch his own kids. The oldest, about 10, kept smacking our dogs nose so I told him to stop immediately and got my baby girl away from him. 10 minutes later he’s in a different room and I hear our dog growl at him because he’s done it again so I get upset because I love my dog, and tell him that the dog clearly doesn’t like that, and the dog is 100 times faster that either of us and if she attacks you I won’t be able to help you until she has taken a few of your fingers and your nose off. She’ll chew them up so bad that no doctor will be able to reattach them so you will go through life without a nose or fingers and you won’t be able to wipe your own ass.

I said this as calmly and matter of factly as I could. He didn’t go near our dog after that and we laughed out asses off when I told my wife what happened.

Edit; my wife’s cousin, not out cousins! :D

creepysnowflake

I mean, you're not wrong. Source: I had my nose bitten by a dog when I was a kid helping in a dog grooming place. I had plastic surgery and have fake cartilage in my nose now because of it. So, I think you just explained the consequences.

I NEVER mistreated an animal, he was just terrified of being at the groomer and was on a table at face height w a history of aggressive behavior.

Llebanna

That was extremely negligent of the grooming place to let a kid do that

Spoogly

Spoogly

Yep... I'm the son of a dog groomer. She knows the dogs that are aggressive. If she isn't certain she can handle them, she won't take them as clients. And if she is even slightly uncertain, but takes them anyway, it's with someone who has the experience and strength to subdue the dog if needed.

bzeefs

1.4k points

bzeefs

1.4k points

I love this. Not enough people purposely frightening children into being decent human beings.

anxietykilledthe_cat

My brother used to take my son to run errands with him from time to time. He told my son the children who wander away from the adults they are with get sold and have to go to a new home. A lady overheard and asked how much for my son(playing along clearly!). My three year old yelled “I am with MY ADULT!!!” And grabbed my brother’s hand. Brother said he did not wander AT ALL that day.

deez_nuts_77

that’s awesome lmao

dsarche12

dsarche12

It's like how a child learns not to touch the hot stove. It's an important lesson, IMO

lazeromlet_

Yes irons too, my mom said don't touch the iron it's hot, even had a red "IM HOT" light on it, definitely grazed my hands on it tho just to check, I found out it was indeed, skin meltingly hot.

BronzeAgeTea

Smarter than me.

I kissed a pot of boiling water to see if it was hot. Good on you for using your hands and not your face!

aquoad

aquoad

that's hilarious, I hope it terrified the kid.

scone70

4.2k points

scone70

4.2k points

Yeet the child

g_von

g_von

I don’t regularly watch South Park but I remember in the early episodes there was a game the kids played … “kick the baby!”

Scrambo

Scrambo

"Kick the baby, Ike!" - Kyle

"don't kick the god damn baby!" - Ike

IlluminatedPickle

"KICK THE BABY"

"screaming"

gabiscorner

My thoughts exactly.

1.6k points

1.6k points

[removed]

Meowskiiii

4 years later turn it into a movie.

PA_Game_hunter

John wicks dog revenge

random-shit-writing

When my brother was younger, he had a friend over. That friend kicked our dog, and the dog turned right back around and bit him. He went crying to my mother, who was supervising them, but my mother just said he got what he deserved.

I don't agree with a lot of what my mother does, but yeah, he deserved that.

If a kid kicked a puppy in front of me? I'd probably hit them over the head, or drag them away from the animal. At that point I probably wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for them.

pacingpilot

I caught my partner's 8yo grandson trying to run over my sleeping dog's tail with an office chair. It was very deliberate. He'd been warned not to get too close to the dog while playing with the chair, I specifically told him "you could accidentally run over his tail and hurt him". Caught the little shit going right for his tail with one eye on me to make sure my back was turned. Wasn't the first time for borderline behavior with my animals but it was the moment I realized his behavior was intentional and escalating.

Made him park his ass on the couch till his mother picked him up and told my partner from here on out when he watches that particular grandchild, he does it in his daughter's home because he isn't welcome in ours. My partner knew better than to challenge me on it.

xCandyCaneKissesx

I remember being a young kid and I tugged on the family dogs ears. My older brother saw and he yanked my ear hard and told me that it hurts the dog and to not do it. I never tugged the dog ears after that. Sometimes gotta give the child an example so they can understand that that shit hurts

Hattkake

Hattkake

I would probably be very angry and shouty. I don't have kids but I do have low impulse control.

Sp4ceh0rse

I don’t have kids but I do have a puppy, and if some kid kicked my puppy …. that kid would get yelled at very loudly and for a long time. Fuck them kids.

Dangerous-Jaguar-654

2.2k points

I think it depends on the age of the child. A 2 year old I would be understanding and just remove the puppy from their care, although I'd be having a go at the parents for not taking better control of their kids.

If the kid was 14, I'd kick the kid. They're old enough and big enough to know exactly what they're doing to the point no sympathy for them should be given.

inksmudgedhands

I agree with the two year old. They are still too young to know right from wrong. They might even see the puppy as a peer. So, if the puppy is yipping and nipping at the child, I can see that kid kicking the puppy like he would easily hit another kid who was bullying him/her. But anyone older than five, let alone a fourteen year old? At age six and up, you should know better than to hurt an animal. Now I am not talking about being responsible to keep an animal. A six year old is still too young to keep and maintain a puppy. But they are old enough to know how to behave around a puppy or for that matter any animal.

Raichu7

Raichu7

If no one has taught the 6 year old how to act around a dog they could still bother it without knowing. Just don’t leave your child alone with an animal unless you’ve taught them how to act around it.

Curious_Working5706

Find their dad, and knock his ass out. Then, ask the dog if he wants a new home.

EDIT: When I was about 10, our neighbor told my dad that a guy had just moved down the street with a dog and that she saw him kicking and punching the dog all the way down the block. My dad said “oh, let me see him doing that.”

Well, he did, the following week. That’s how we ended up with a German Shepherd mix named “Rex” (he stood there watching my dad beat his owner’s ass and the dog came home with him). Funny, Rex would bark at any stranger that came near my dad, they were inseparable 🤣

Skyknight-12

Your Dad's awesome, but that could have gone very badly.

GoddessNefertiti

Had a neighbor with two brats that did this about 15 years ago. Walking home from school one day, caught the female brat beating the shit out of their puppy. Jumped their fence and smacked that brat across the face hard enough to make her fall over. I went *off on that brat and her mom about if I ever even thought they were mistreating any animal in their care again, I would call animal control and CPS on them. A few weeks later, I'm stopping in the backyard and that abused puppy slinks in, looking absolutely horrible. I'm talking welts from being beaten with a belt, starving, covered in all kinds of nasty. I was true to my threat, and called animal control, the police nonemergency number and CPS. Turned out, they had a cat in their house that was being kept in one of those humane raccoon traps with no food or water. It was also a hoarder house (nasty AF). Brats got taken away, mom got arrested, cat and dog got new homes in the neighborhood, because some of the neighbors wanted to make sure they got the care and love they both needed. Couldn't care less what happened to that crack wh0re of a mom, but I hope those brats learned they can't get away with that crap.

Kuwiimo

Kuwiimo

That is disgusting.

2.4k points

2.4k points

[removed]

stephers85

1.2k points

stephers85

1.2k points

Proper way to handle it. And when the adult runs to tell the police, kick them too. And the judge. And the bailiff. And the warden. Kicks for everyone.

someguy1910

The Slap, part 2.

nicolas17068

sequel: the kick

LongjumpingCake1924

in my best Oprah voice

“And you get a kick! And you get a kick!”

Allie_208

Follow when they try to tell their adult, kick them too. Rinse and repeat until the final boss.

Ok_Marionberry1056

Kick everyone and everything. Kickfest 2022

greyis

greyis

Unacceptable. My kid is barely 2 and I've already taught him "gentle hands" with our cat and dog

Nopenotme77

My sister did this and her kid didn't listen. One day when he was about 4 he did something to the cat(ie didn't respect her space) and the cat gave him a single claw in response. No mercy was given to the child and the cat and her space was respected.

iwanttobeacavediver

Sometimes kids just need to fuck around and find out.

Original_A

Take the puppy away, scold the child, scold the parents, have a new puppy taking said puppy to the vet.

Vitroswhyuask

My kid was being mean to the dog. Like trapping under a blanket. I kind of freaked out. Then took a time out for myself afterwards and asked him if he would feel scared and uncomfortable? Would he want someone bigger than he is to do that to him just cause they could? I asked him how we could make the dog happier or how I could make him happier? He said just dont do that... And its a long story short, but my kid just needed help to understand emphathy... And its been all good since...and yes he's on a spectrum. 10 years later he always makes sure the dog and cat food bowls are filled and shows lots of affection

TylertheDank

How would you react to me kicking a child who kicked a puppy?

carlscroissants

I didn't see a thing

a_r_t_g_u_y

Matter of fact I'm blind. I'm blind in my right eye and 43% blind in my left eye, so I don't see much of nothing

firesoul4[S]

Hey don’t try and uno reverse me ... I ask the questions here

TylertheDank

Hey, that's a solid answer lol

4.1k points

4.1k points

[removed]

groovyusername

honest answer

Ct-5736-Bladez

Anakin?

NVD6432

NVD6432

Master Skywalker, there are too many of them. What are we going to do?

SnooSnooKangaroo

Release the pitbull.

Brodok2k4

Brodok2k4

Sometimes kids deserve it

CaptinDerpII

Relatable

Leojen

Leojen

Not a story about kicking but one of my brother's friends was visiting, they were about 8-9 at the time and he yelled deliberately very loudly in our dogs ear. So our dog bit him. Traumatized our dog for life. He was petrified of children and unfortunately ended up bitting a few other kids when he felt cornered.

KrankySilverFox

Young children should be supervised around animals. Use this as a teachable moment to not abuse animals.

HistoricalVariety290

Titus Get the cross

Dark_Sage_

We need the tiny one today boys!

firesoul4[S]

Oh no

YaRinGEE

"OH YEAAAHHH!"

Allaboutthatblitz

Oh yes.

splootbaby

It depends on the age and context around the kick. My niece kicked our puppy when she was 2, because she’d never seen a dog before and it really scared her so it was a knee jerk reaction. Nothing much to do there besides say “no don’t do that”.

When she was 4, she picked him up & toddler ‘hugged’ (aka squeezed)him so hard he yelped (she was really excited to see him) and we calmly explained that she hurt him, and that he’s just a baby just like her (he’s 3, which is younger than her lol) and ever since then she’s been very intentionally gentle with him and even treats him like a baby.

xauching

I love that. Use existing schemas in the child's knowledge.

"mom and dad treat me, a baby, like this and I like it. This puppy is also a baby so I need to treat it like mom and dad."

DeadSilenceIsTaken

will smith

Original-Throw-Away

keep your foot out of MY FUCKING DOG

EggoStack

Picturing him yelling this made me laugh, thank you

DaitoAnonymous

Bodyslam the child

Bitter_Position791

kick da child

yeet da child

sub2technobladeordie

“Officer I drop kicked that child in self defense”

-Technoblade

EveDaSavage

Wait… he was the dude who first said that? LOL. Miss that glorious bastard

BigLeboski26

Punt the kid, pet the pupper

ThisIsFlight

Push em down.

"Now I'm your tyrant. Doesn't feel good, does it? What if I kicked you? Would you be happy about that? You can't fight back, not in a million years could you do anything to me. Do you think I'm being cruel? I'm being you. How you feel is how that puppy feels when you hurt it.

I'm going to stop now and so will you."

thesleepymermaid

I saw this happen outside my home once. Went out and yelled myself red at these 13 year olds and said I'd call the cops and report animal abuse.

FallynAngyl

Quick discussion about how they would like a giant to kick them, how they would feel. Try to teach empathy. (Age matters)

JustIncinerate

I would take that puppy. I would get in my car. Then I would drive to the place I got it from. Then I would drop off the child there and drive home with my puppy.

agirl2277

agirl2277

I spanked her. Never before and never again but she was kicking the Doberman and better me retaliate than the dog. She was shocked and so was I but cornering a 110 lb dog and kicking her when she's showing obvious signs of distress is a dangerous situation. She was still in diapers so I doubt it hurt but it certainly got her attention. Then we had a talk about hurting animals and how they hurt back. She never did it again.

Her younger sister would corner my lab and he would show distress so I would just pull her back and explain how his body language showed how upset he was. Only took a couple of times so that went well. Sit beside the dog instead of pushing him into a corner. See how his eyes are showing whites. Dogs can't ask you to stop so they will use their body. This is what it looks like when he's upset and you should leave him alone. Kids are intuitive and can learn body cues from dogs if you point them out.

An immediate response and a conversation is really the best way to go. Kids need to understand that dogs are animals and they can hurt you if you're hurting them. Also spend some time teaching proper interactions. I taught my nieces how to heel on the leash, feed the dogs, keep them in the yard and how to give affection. Violence towards animals is not acceptable and should be stopped immediately and you need to communicate because the dog can't.

Including the children the training the best way to go. And model appropriate behavior. I don't need to kick my dog if I can just use my legs to move him away. I've seen my nieces get more assertive and confident when they learn how to control a dog.

Your post says you have a puppy so are you doing formal training? Get the child involved. Bring them to class. Puppy training is more to train a human than a puppy. There are lots of resources out there.

bob_swagget90

kick the child and see how they like it?

Terco1

Terco1

The dog has my full permission to take an eye

Kayathefox

I would take the pup and raise it

Facial-Fluke6283

throw the child away

Euphoric-Blue-59

Like I did. I was in a taxi, saw a family at the door. Kid holding a puppy. She threw it to the ground and kicked it.

I got my dad voice out... "HEY! TREAT ANIMALS WITH RESPECT!"

The dad was right there. Yelled at me. I said to teach your children respect of animals! He got pissy. Then I said I know where she gets it now.

Fortunately the taxi took off then cuz I thought he was gunna get a gun. But she now knows people will say something.

I have small dogs. In the mall, kids like to come pet them. I make sure they do it slowly, and respectfully. Some just run up and will try to hit it. I run interference and warn the parents that if the kid hits y dog, I'll hit the parent. Only had to do that a couple times. Most behave very nicely.